• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rosalina... UNWINNABLE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

crashbfan

Banned via Warnings
NNID
3DS FC
6666-6666-6666
I didn't realize until someone did that move where she sucks in projectiles.... WTF.

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
The matchup is indeed very difficult, but you must work towards counterplay to your opponent's habits and tactics he/she uses to beat you.

Carefully work towards separating Rosalina from Luma, either by hitting him away or killing him. If you hit luma offstage, he'll more than likely be in tumble. While Luma is in tumble, Rosalina cannot call him back to her and Luma will fall to his death.

DHD has three good projectiles you can have out on the screen at once. And can move independently from all three. Throw something at her so you can bait her using her Gravitational Pull(down B). While she is absorbing your projectile, move in for a physical attack.

I know I made this sound like a simple gameplan but I know it's more complicated than putting a stradegy on paper. However if you can manage to severely outplay your opponent, the matchup is not unwinnable. Again, it is a hard matchup, but you got to think outside the box and be creative to be successful with DHD anyway.

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
Also I don't think she can absorb the gunman shot, so you can keep her from absorbing things by making her respect the sheriff. BD Could be wrong though.

SaikyoBro

The One Who Knocks
NNID
SaikyoBro
Honestly? I think it's mostly about baiting her into doing that move then punishing. The cooldown's not horrendously long or anything but it's enough time to get some decent damage, just try and be unpredictable with your can.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Luma can't block, so a firsbee to distract rosalina with, then a can to blow luma away might work.
I think Luma might block if Rosalina uses Luma as a projectile (charge B)... but that's why DHD needs to get rid of Luma first. :awesome:

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Clay Pigeons are useless in this battle. Luma charges right through them, especially with things loike Star Bits. Cans are the only hope you have against Luma but Rosalina can always return her and shoot her to a safe location.
Damn.

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
It's an easy match up. Control your zone better. If they start putting up:

you_____luma__________Rosalina

You need to be able to isolate luma and use your can to keep them apart. Doing so limits their options while you're free to get in. Can and side b are your best tools, catch their jumps and use f-smash at the best range you can.

Last edited:

ScubaF_ingSteve

NNID
ScubaSteve94
Clay Pigeons are useless in this battle. Luma charges right through them, especially with things loike Star Bits. Cans are the only hope you have against Luma but Rosalina can always return her and shoot her to a safe location.
Damn.
no it's not, use them in a situation like this

Luma_____You___Rosalina

Pigeon into Rosalina and then attack luma.

Mewtario

Smash Ace
Can: the Swiss Army Knife of Duck Hunt's arsenal

Use it to beat up on Luma while you physically beat up Rosalina, use it to separate them, use it as a knife for spreading butter on your toast!

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Rosalina is huge, you want the can to go through Luma, and you want to be able to fight quickly from range.

This is a matchup for Zig Zag can.

ScubaF_ingSteve

NNID
ScubaSteve94
Rosalina also has a few main approaches. She can come in with a nair, which is easy to shield into nair OoS for the punish. She can shoot luma, but you can roll and then get in to punish. She can space forward airs in the same way as nairs, but the punish this time is dash attack or pigeon. She can also come in with dash attack which you shouldn't worry about if you have your can in front of you at all times like you should.

Rosco

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2208-5202-8834
Rosalina can be a tough match but not an impossible one. Thankfully, I've had a lot of practice against her thanks to some of my friends. It isn't easy to outbox her, you really do need to get in between her and Luma and separate the two. I know DHD is a defensive, controlling and generally tricksy pup, but this is also where I have to suggest that you can't neglect your close in game. Even if it's more mental than physical, I've seen too many Rosalina players that panic when facing an aggressive DHD when they were expecting a distant game.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Tbh, I personally would say to be more physical with DHD in this matchup. His greatest strength is that he has a good projectile game AND a good physical game.

Cant stress being good with the can enough though, everyone who plays DHD needs to be able to predict how the opponent returns when blasted high as to blow them up.

Spudboy

Smash Cadet
NNID
spudboy
Doing stuff with the can is all well and good until Rosalina just uses her down-B. That said, the matchup is totally winnable with a more physical DH and the occasional unexpected projectile. Of note is the fact that wild gunmen can't be absorbed.

ScubaF_ingSteve

NNID
ScubaSteve94
Doing stuff with the can is all well and good until Rosalina just uses her down-B. That said, the matchup is totally winnable with a more physical DH and the occasional unexpected projectile. Of note is the fact that wild gunmen can't be absorbed.
The move has so much lag to finish that if you're not punishing, you shouldn't be winning anyways.

Ryik

Smash Cadet
The move has so much lag to finish that if you're not punishing, you shouldn't be winning anyways.
Contrarily it is fairly short. It has about as much ending lag as Ike's u-tilt. You'd need to be at nearly point blank to punish it.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Code:
omg luma smashes the pigeon!
Short hop soft toss the clay pigeons, they go right over luma's head, trajectory and are reaaaally slow so often if they try to absorb you might be able to punish. It's not too difficult imo, you just need to play differently. Instead of shield pressure like with most characters, you gotta play field control. Keep the can away from her, but on the stage. Don't have it approach for you unless she's in tumble or you're close enough to punish the absorb with a fair or something.

Essentially, I try to conquer mid-range and gunmen ASAP, then short hop reverse a clay pigeon to keep my distance, avoid dash attacks. They can't just sit on the ground and gpull it, or take a gunmen to the face. So either they go into the air, roll, or shield everything. Air gets a pigeon to the face unless a properly spaced/timed gpull, which can likely be punished, roll can get a pigeon depending on the spacing... Luckily she's pretty tall so activating the pigeon often at least gets her for a few %, and if she shields everything you kick out a can waiting to make another gunmen and begin the loop again. (might as well, no need to approach)

Really though thank god she's so tall so the short hop tosses are a huge threat while screwing over luma. Heels were a bad choice!

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Sonic is the secondary I went with. Deals with Rosalina really well (can spam sides on her shield and even if you don't connect they're free strong hits on luma)

Also deals well with greninja, and sheik. All those boards seem to consider it even/their disadvantage.

Though, I'm more experienced and in synch with DHD that I almost always perform better with him regardless. I think I'll wait for the Wii U version to really start sonic since DHD is all strategy/resourcing and sonic is precision/combos. Only like 150~ matches with sonic, 1000+ with DHD.

Last edited:

Spirst

Sonic is the secondary I went with. Deals with Rosalina really well (can spam sides on her shield and even if you don't connect they're free strong hits on luma)

Also deals well with greninja, and sheik. All those boards seem to consider it even/their disadvantage.

Though, I'm more experienced and in synch with DHD that I almost always perform better with him regardless. I think I'll wait for the Wii U version to really start sonic since DHD is all strategy/resourcing and sonic is precision/combos. Only like 150~ matches with sonic, 1000+ with DHD.
I go Greninja/DH and find the two to be complementary with each other. Greninja manages Rosalina better as well as fast rush down characters while Duck Hunt can throw off a large number of the remaining cast.

Greninja is a better offensive option while Duck Hunt is a great trap/defensive character.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom