• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rosalina Counterpick

Dalxp26

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dalxp26
With the game been out now for a couple of days, I need help. Who is the best counter pick for Rosalina. PBJ recommended I should go with Sheik but my friend who has always been a Sheik main and is now a really good Rosalina main so he knows all of Sheik's moves.

My goal is to beat out all Rosalinas in general and win against my friend 8 or 9 times out of ten. So who should I pick and why? Thanks guys, i feel like this post can be helpful for others who struggle against Rosalina.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Rosalina might be the good kind of character that you can't hard counter. I don't think she has any huge glaring weakness you can exploit, unfortunately.

We're still very early into the game. So who knows. But no character really comes to mind.

Cel

Smash Cadet
Zero suit might be a good pick. I've found that even bad ones can cause some problems for rosalina so if you get decent with her, you might have a better shot at reaching your goal.

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman
Zero suit might be a good pick. I've found that even bad ones can cause some problems for rosalina so if you get decent with her, you might have a better shot at reaching your goal.
The key to fighting ZSS is run --> short hop --> Nair.

Every ZSS I have played tries to stun Luma with the stun gun, but it's incredibly easy for Rosalina to punish it with short hop + Nair. You go over their stun gun, and you hit them. I know this sounds like elementary advice, but I've fought against clearly very skilled ZSS players and this works over and over again.

With ZSS it's just about getting used to her movements. She can seem dazzling if you're not used to where her attacks are going to move her, but once you get used to the patterns, ZSS's speed is not anything that Rosalina's range can't handle.

I say this as someone who has played 2500+ games with Rosalina now. I think a really good Yoshi player may in fact be Rosalina's worst match up.

Yoshi's eggs are really tough for Rosalina to deal with. Yes, Rosalina has gravitational pull, but that's a bad option when Rosalina is already close to Yoshi, and that's where the problem is.

Yoshi's eggs are really good at getting around Luma, and also good at stopping Rosalina's short hop + Nair approach.

Yoshi is also really good at taking advantage of one of Rosalina's few real weaknesses, her floatiness and getting back to the stage from the air. Yoshi's fast and powerful aerials really take advantage of this.

I honestly don't think Rosalina has any terrible match ups in this game. But right now Yoshi would be my pick for best counterpick.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cel

Smash Cadet
I'm aware that nair ***** add, I was just saying that zss can at times create problems and is one option.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
I'm with Kraken, Yoshi feels like one of the worst matchups. If you're looking to pick up a character for the sole intention of beating Rosalina, I'd pick him. Yet you really should just play the character that fits your playstyle best, and then practice the Rosalina matchup tons. It would help you more in the long run.

It might help to even pick up Rosalina for a few days in For Glory and get a feel for when she's at advantage, and what an average Rosalina might be attempting in any given circumstance. If you find yourself falling into any habits while playing her, you'll know what the baseline is for when you play against her.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Yet you really should just play the character that fits your playstyle best, and then practice the Rosalina matchup tons. It would help you more in the long run.
I think it's smart to give yourself the best advantage from the get go. That way you can avoid a lot of unneeded struggle (and losses).

It might help to even pick up Rosalina for a few days in For Glory and get a feel for when she's at advantage, and what an average Rosalina might be attempting in any given circumstance. If you find yourself falling into any habits while playing her, you'll know what the baseline is for when you play against her.
Definitely true. A big step in conquering matchups is to pick up the character yourself. It'll expose things you never would have seen otherwise.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
I think it's smart to give yourself the best advantage from the get go. That way you can avoid a lot of unneeded struggle (and losses).

Definitely true. A big step in conquering matchups is to pick up the character yourself. It'll expose things you never would have seen otherwise.
- Eh, I think if you pick up a new character for every difficult matchup out there, you'd end up with a ton of average characters. Yeah, some matchups you get hard countered ( Ness v Rosalina ), but for most, I'd say being comfortable with the character outweighs having a slightly better matchup with a character you don't play often. That could just be me though, I'm the only smasher I know with less than three 'mains'.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I mean, an average DDD or average Marth won you whole matches in Brawl vs DK or Ness. Certain pocket characters can be more than useful and are simply free wins.

I don't think something like that will exist against Rosalina, but any edge matters.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm on my phone so I cannot go into detail, but Lucario and Toon Link are the toughest matches for me. Yoshi is someone I can counter very well, but when I'm against these two, it's anybody's game.

With Lucario, it's ONLY a problem for me at high Aura levels. Don't think I even really need to explain that. The landing lag from his Up B was made to be abysmal in the last patch, though, which has made things a bit easier.

Toon Link is just really well rounded against her though. Amazing projectile pressure, fast and nimble, small target, solid normals...it's not an uphill battle for Rosie, but I think this match up is her most even one by far. Both characters counter each other perfectly. Literally any strength one has, the other has a counter for.

Hacky

Smash Cadet
NNID
SN_Hacky
3DS FC
4513-4712-4723
Switch FC
2414 6996 3456
I'm on my phone so I cannot go into detail, but Lucario and Toon Link are the toughest matches for me. Yoshi is someone I can counter very well, but when I'm against these two, it's anybody's game.

Toon Link is just really well rounded against her though. Amazing projectile pressure, fast and nimble, small target, solid normals...it's not an uphill battle for Rosie, but I think this match up is her most even one by far. Both characters counter each other perfectly. Literally any strength one has, the other has a counter for.

I dont have that much of a problem against Tink SO LONG AS RosaLuma is the aggressor. If you give Tink the upperhand, its hard to have Luma ever doing what you want it to do. Tink cant autotoss bomb throw ledge camp in this game like he could in Brawl, so getting him off the stage and keeping him there works really well. He can't use anywhere near as many projectiles if his frames are limited with the risk of being off the stage. Especially with all of the tech being taken out of the game, Tink is very limited in general.

Im not saying that this is the end-all counter to RosaLuma, but DK is horrendous for Luma. One Dash Attack and Lumas gone. Its hard to secure the kill because he's so fat and has so much super armor, its absurd. I think a lot of people are sleeping on DK this game so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Im not saying that this is the end-all counter to RosaLuma, but DK is horrendous for Luma. One Dash Attack and Lumas gone. Its hard to secure the kill because he's so fat and has so much super armor, its absurd. I think a lot of people are sleeping on DK this game so far.
DK is no problem. Start the match with a good jab combo from both Rosalina & Luma. You can easily get him to around 40% just from that.

And even if Luma is gone (his dash attack is easy to deal with anyway so it should not happen too often), big heavy characters are juggling toys for Rosalina. And DK is probably the least proficient at dealing with her out of all of them (with Dedede being the best against her, out of the heavyweights).

bmaster77

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bobatapioca
The key to fighting ZSS is run --> short hop --> Nair.

Every ZSS I have played tries to stun Luma with the stun gun, but it's incredibly easy for Rosalina to punish it with short hop + Nair. You go over their stun gun, and you hit them. I know this sounds like elementary advice, but I've fought against clearly very skilled ZSS players and this works over and over again.

With ZSS it's just about getting used to her movements. She can seem dazzling if you're not used to where her attacks are going to move her, but once you get used to the patterns, ZSS's speed is not anything that Rosalina's range can't handle.
When you're using the short hop nair, which hitbox are you trying to hit with in this case?
For me personally if dealing with stun gun pressure, I would simply run with when luma is attached, because Luma is a meatshield and will take that hit for free. From there you can get a free grab to more damage compared to just a nair.

Also how do you guys deal with Zss's downB (flip kick)? i try to just block and punish. is there a move that we have that straight up beats it?

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman
When you're using the short hop nair, which hitbox are you trying to hit with in this case?
For me personally if dealing with stun gun pressure, I would simply run with when luma is attached, because Luma is a meatshield and will take that hit for free. From there you can get a free grab to more damage compared to just a nair.

Also how do you guys deal with Zss's downB (flip kick)? i try to just block and punish. is there a move that we have that straight up beats it?

The same hitbox I always try to hit, the part of her Fair that does 7.5% damage, towards the end of it. If you fast fall with Rosalina you can usually hit ZSS before she recovers from the lag of her stun gun.

But yeah, your way also works, and I do that as well. Mixing up the approaches is definitely the best approach.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
I think right now my worst MUs as Rosa are Yoshi, DDD and Toon Link. Ran into a really tough Shulk and C.Falcon recently, but I can't say if those are hard MUs or just better players, maybe both.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
I dunno, personally I play aggressive Marios and Facons and they tend to work for me. Rush in for an all-out attack before a Rosaluma is even able to think about zoning seems to be a good strat, at least in my book.

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman
I dunno, personally I play aggressive Marios and Facons and they tend to work for me. Rush in for an all-out attack before a Rosaluma is even able to think about zoning seems to be a good strat, at least in my book.
Yeah, I have very little trouble with Mario and Falcon. Pretty sure this is more of a player thing rather than a character thing that you're experiencing.

pato_

Smash Rookie
One of my friends is maining Rosalina and like others have already mentioned, I have an "easy time" while playing with Yoshi, I think he is a good option against her (or at least his particular Rosalina).

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman
As a general rule, I find that a character needs a good projectile game to be a decent match up against Rosalina, otherwise they will be at a real disadvantage.

This may seem counterintuitive, because Gravitational Pull is supposed to neutralize projectiles. But in my experience, if an opponent doesn't have a good projectile game, Rosalina simply dominates with her control of space. A character needs a good projectile game in order to keep Luma in check.

For me personally, my toughest match ups on a relative scale have always been Yoshi, R.O.B. and King Dedede. I'm not sure why King Dedede though... after all, Rosalina can reflect gordos with star bits and with her Nair easily enough. But one thing I cannot do against Dedede is gimp him like I can pretty much everyone else. When I get him off the stage he throws that gordo out there for protection, and I can't gimp his recovery on the way up. And combined with the fact that he is the heaviest character in the game it means I am killing Dedede at a much later % than I am just about everyone else. So I don't like facing Dedede. Not sure if this is a Rosalina thing or if this is just a personal problem that I have.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
So I don't like facing Dedede. Not sure if this is a Rosalina thing or if this is just a personal problem that I have.
It's a Dedede thing. He can get so much damage on you and kill you so early, you have to be so careful when fighting him and not make any mistakes. A lot of characters have this issue with him, I think other characters like Pika and Sheik have similar issues.

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman
I've gotten much better at the Dedede match up over time though. The thing with that match up is, like you said, you have to avoid making mistakes. At an optimum level of play, Rosalina has the advantage because of how much faster her attacks come out... but there's very little room for error.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
ye its like that with all the heavies, ganon i think especially. the dedede mu is definitely somethin you just gotta learn, i dont really know if the mu favors one or the other heavily but it's tough at first. i still get hit by gordos all the time. and i still dunno exactly the best action if DDD recovers on stage with his UpB, has anyone figured that out? seems like you gotta power shield it to punish it effectively.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
A rosalina is best countered with another rosalina, where the one countering the other got a luma, and the first one doesnt have luma :D

Top Bottom