• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rosalina Can Grab Downed Opponents

manju

Smash Rookie
The Technique

I learned what Boost Grabbing was the other day and that it was a thing in Smash 4. Of course my first reaction was to see if it worked with Rosalina. Then it hit me: wouldn't Luma still do the dash attack while Rosalina grabs? The answer is of course yes. Here are the consequences:

A Boost grab on a standing opponent will deal 3% before Rosalina actually grabs the opponent (from Luma's dash attack). This makes Boost grabbing something to strongly consider implementing in place of most dash grabs.

The more interesting consequence is that Rosalina is able to grab downed opponents. If you execute the Boost grab so that Luma hits the downed opponent, Luma will actually pop them up right into Rosalina's grab. How useful this is will be determined over time, but it's something I feel that every Rosalina player should be aware of. I think she is the only character in the history of Smash with this option.

Found by [Corn]: An Auto-Cancelled Forward Air into Grab can also grab a downed opponent.

Practicing the Technique

To perform the Boost grab on the 3DS, while dashing press A then immediately L (R also works). You should see Luma perform the dash attack while Rosalina swings her arm upwards for the grab. If you perform a regular dash attack, you are waiting too long to press L/R. If you perform a regular dash grab, you are pressing L/R before A.

In training mode, go to some variation of Final Destination. Move to the edge of the stage behind your opponent. Set their percent to some value from 40% to 50% (the minimum is determined by weight). These percents have nothing to do with the technique; they are so that your down tilt will put the opponent in the downed state. You can set the percent with the touch screen or you can press Start/Select and use the circle pad. (Note that the easiest way to reset the percent to the desired value is to press Start, change the percent to the right, then reset it to the left.)

Down tilt the opponent from an appropriate distance (too close will send them off the stage) so that they land in a downed state on the other side of the stage. Dash toward them and perform the Boost grab. If done correctly, the opponent will take 3% and will magically be in Rosalina's grasp. If you perform a Boost grab but do not grab the opponent, it is because you were too close and Luma's attack went past the opponent without hitting them. Luma's dash attack must hit for this to work! You can set the game speed to 1/4 to get a better idea of what exactly happens and for ease of execution.

Video provided by Torn_Smash

I have tested this on every character and can confirm that it works. You should try it out whenever you get the chance. Let me know what you think. :D

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
****, one more reason to be upset about puppeteers.

Not that this particular trick is remotely broken, but that's such a disgusting oversight.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Nice, i hinted at this in the boostgrabthread (as "strong application for certain characters")Been using it alot online though. Kinda like how shinegrab works in melee i think the application of this might be similar, even though its only from a dash(which is also why i have been quiet about it, dont want it removed in the wii u version)

You missed 1 thing though, that is that you can pivot the grab so that Luma dashattacks forward, while Rosalina grabs backward, covering more space and angles.

I think it might be very good in corners where luma dashattacks and puts the opponent offstage, and rosalina covering the potencial roll.

Last edited:

manju

Smash Rookie
I was aware of the pivot but I think that the action comes out quickly enough to where executing it preemptively would miss the opponent with both the dash attack and the grab, say if they roll behind you. This would be easier to test against another human, but I don't think that's actually useful in practice. I'm not entirely sure the ground grab is useful in practice, but it's worth being aware of and trying out. I do think that the Boost grab is a better option than the plain dash grab in a lot of situations though.

For those interested, you can perform the pivot grab by using back+L/R instead of L/R. I find the easiest way to do this is to roll the pad in a half circle around the bottom.

Thank you Luminario for the kind words. I would post a video but I don't have a capture card or video camera. If somebody else makes a video, I can probably add it to the OP.

Last edited:

otter

Smash Ace
options out of running are so sparse that I think this could be really useful. Thanks, manju.

manju

Smash Rookie
From the OP (first line underneath "Practicing the Technique"):
"To perform the Boost grab on the 3DS, while dashing press A then immediately L (R also works)."

andimidna

Smash Master
So Luma just hits the opponent right into her grab? I can't picture what that would look like, any videos?

Also, are there more possibilities around this concept, Like spacing them so Rosalina is at the edge? Or is this only used when Rosalina and Luma are together?

manju

Smash Rookie
So Luma just hits the opponent right into her grab? I can't picture what that would look like, any videos?

Also, are there more possibilities around this concept, Like spacing them so Rosalina is at the edge? Or is this only used when Rosalina and Luma are together?
At full speed it's hard to see what happens, but what you've said is essentially correct. I don't have a way to make a video, but if someone who does makes one I'd be more than happy to add it.

I'm not sure what you mean about the spacing; this only works when they are together. It may be a little early to say this, but almost all of the time you want Rosalina and Luma to be together. They are both far too vulnerable on their own, at least in my experience. You have much better control when they are together.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
When I used Rosalina's dash grab, the Luma never did anything to the opponent. It just did a spin, which doesn't even deal any damage.

manju

Smash Rookie
When I used Rosalina's dash grab, the Luma never did anything to the opponent. It just did a spin, which doesn't even deal any damage.
This means you did a plain dash grab. For this, you have to do a Boost grab. If you were trying to do a Boost grab but did a regular dash grab, you're pressing L/R before A.

Torn_Smash

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1203-9336-3774
Made a short video demonstrating the technique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbobY75rM8Y

The timing isn't too hard to get, but you have to make sure that the spacing is right or you'll overshoot the downed character

Also, I think Luna Dash Grab (LDG) is a pretty good name for this tech?

Here it is in .gif form:

Last edited:

manju

Smash Rookie
Made a short video demonstrating the technique:

The timing isn't too hard to get, but you have to make sure that the spacing is right or you'll overshoot the downed character

Also, I think Luna Dash Grab (LDG) is a pretty good name for this tech?
Would you be okay with me adding this to the OP?

Technically it's a Boost grab as opposed to a normal dash grab, so Luma Boost Grab might be a better name, but I think it's pretty obvious what someone's talking about either way.

Torn_Smash

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1203-9336-3774
Would you be okay with me adding this to the OP?

Technically it's a Boost grab as opposed to a normal dash grab, so Luma Boost Grab might be a better name, but I think it's pretty obvious what someone's talking about either way.
Sure! And that's probably a good idea, since it is just a variation of a boost grab. And yeah, feel free to add the video/gif to the OP!

響「Hibiki」

Smash Cadet
I recorded both the Boost Grab that adds 3 damage and the getup grab with my capture card. Will upload them after University

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Do note that after the pivot boostgrab, if you charge downwnsmash, itll buffer to luma if you wait a little bit, making both charge, in a different positionsetup then normal.

響「Hibiki」

Smash Cadet
Alright, done. Enjoy.
The Boost Grab with the 3% damage is pretty good, because it's more or less a Dash Grab but with 3% extra damage.
The Getup Grab thing is stylish and all, but I doubt you'd use it very often.

http://gfycat.com/WearyUltimateHeifer

Last edited:

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Nice find. Doesn't seem hard to pull off either.

Just tried to pull it off against a Falco in training. I can think of a few times when I wished I had better ways to deal with a knocked down opponent, so this is pretty good.

Last edited:

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
Just clarifying, the grab to pick up downed characters and boost grab are the same thing?

manju

Smash Rookie
Just clarifying, the grab to pick up downed characters and boost grab are the same thing?
Performing a Boost grab on a downed opponent such that Luma's dash attack hits the opponent will cause Rosalina to grab the opponent. Yes.

You dont have to just get it off a boost grab, autocancelled air attacks all go into grab at close range :)
I tested this on a Sheik and you actually can grab a downed opponent with autocancelled Fair; good find. Of course, the Boost ground grab already has extremely little application in a real game. I think an autocancelled Fair into ground grab has close to a 0% chance of happening since your opponent would have to be sitting there and you would have to be in the perfect position to perform the technique. At least a Boost grab is a simple punish since it's essentially a dash attack (which is probably the easiest punish, optimal or not), so maybe that one is closer to 0.5%? In any case, both are worth knowing whether entirely useful or not so I'll be crediting it to you in the OP.

I should probably mention that I actually had to grab another 3DS to test this one; the COMs will get up too quickly if you don't try some elaborate timing off of a down throw or something. In a real game, I only see someone pulling this off if they slap their friend's 3DS out of their hands.

Last edited:

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLPK_JcVkb8

I made a video on this technique.

one thing i tried to do was autocancel bair into boostgrab because bair puts them into that state where you can boost grab. the thing is i dont think luma's in a position to do dash attack after bair. can anyone try it out in training mode, i tried in 1/4 speed and i still couldnt do it.

manju

Smash Rookie
I made a video on this technique.

one thing i tried to do was autocancel bair into boostgrab because bair puts them into that state where you can boost grab. the thing is i dont think luma's in a position to do dash attack after bair. can anyone try it out in training mode, i tried in 1/4 speed and i still couldnt do it.
I'd appreciate it if you would give credit/link this thread in the description.

I tried what you're suggesting, and yeah, that's not possible. You can still do the boost grab; you just won't have Luma's dash attack.

Last edited:
Top Bottom