• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rollers and Spot Dodgers

Kensei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kenseithomas
Im having a hard time fighting people that Roll alot. I mean nearly every second I just can't seem to hit them with anything I've tried charging a smash where they'll be but they just block it so how do you beat someone that rolls alot?

Oh and people that dodge alot can be pretty annoying but I find that doing falco's A combo hits them after they dodge. Or I can just charge an attack and wait until there invincibilty frames are gone then hit them.

Are there any good/ better tactics to fight these type of players?

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
If they are using any character other then Lucario just hit them out of the roll. If they are using Lucario ur ****ed.

Yoshistar64

Smash Journeyman
Wait for the right time to hit them. Make sure you use a non-punishable move, just in case.

mzink*

Smash Ace
hey, sometimes i dodge alot till i can set up an attack, mostly all anyone has to do is outsmart me by predicting the dodge. step back and try to outwit them, anticipate the dodge and then punish them. try to use quick attacks as your first attack so they have less time to react.

Waggles

Smash Apprentice
If your opponent rolls a lot, they're likely becoming predictable. I usually shield grab a sloppy roll, but down smashes usually work fine too (uncharged).

Finesse

Smash Rookie
What I generally employ in situations like these is a tit-for-tat strategy. In other words, your opponent acts a certain way, you do the same thing. So, if my opponent is just dodging all the time, I will act in a very similar manner. As an analog, you may also use tit-for-tat whenever someone likes to constantly keep a significant distance from you while spamming relentlessly, depending on your character. I feel that if you yourself are going to take a match somewhat seriously, you should not have to feel irritated or upset by ANY strategy used by your opponent. Be more patient than your opponent and try forcing him/her to change the dynamics of the game. In using this strategy, patience is everything (assuming your technical skill is just about level with that of your opponent's).

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
:(:(

I'm not trying to be mean but...

Just think for a second...

Your opponent is constantly rolling/side stepping and your having trouble punishing it?

Why?

They do the same thing over and over doesn't it get predictable after oh say 3 seconds?

Whether its Brawl or melee or the Fantastic four fighting game or whatever.

ANY repetitive motion is easily punished.

I use lucas.. when i see this garbage i up-smash or d-smash.

Try f-smashing or sumthin just before the roll animation ends.

Chrono Centaur

Smash Apprentice
If you're playing any decent character, throw out a quick move at the end of the roll, like a jab or something. Bowser's jab works wonders for this, as does Dedede's ftilt.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
downsmash, grab

it would help if u tell us the char ur using and the character they are using

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
If you're playing any character, throw out a move at the end of the roll, like anything.
Fixed

Btw I wasn't trying to be stupid or ignorant about it.

In brawl its harder to punish for any mistake your opponent does. If you see something that can be easily punished might as well put a lot of damage or send them off the stage.

Kensei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kenseithomas
I'm mainly using Falco, but sumtimes snake and diddy . Although I have no trouble with snake because of his multiple hits and crazy range and speed of his tilts.

Falcos downsmash doesn't have very good range and his F-smash is a bit slow while covering alot of range, his tilts arnt that great either =/and Teczero I could punish this predictable tactic in melee but I don't really know how to in brawl don't ask me why ...

Kensei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kenseithomas
Well most of lucas' attacks are multi hit which is good against rollers =O oh and nice sig I remember it from an anime can't remember which... is her name Chiyou or something?

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Ya lol Lucas is so fun :p

Since I'm pretty bad in brawl right now all I do is play fun characters anyway ;)

And my sig is from Azumanga Daioh and the girl is Chiyo in a penguin outfit.

Good memory :) I love Azumanga Daioh LOL too funniez :laugh:

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
Ya lol Lucas is so fun :p

Since I'm pretty bad in brawl right now all I do is play fun characters anyway ;)

And my sig is from Azumanga Daioh and the girl is Chiyo in a penguin outfit.

Good memory :) I love Azumanga Daioh LOL too funniez :laugh:

You know how sometimes you get those things floating around your eyes? Well, I'm trackin' one down now, as we speak.

DiasFlac

Smash Journeyman
If their not doing it effectively you should be able to punish them fairly easy. Just watch what their doing for a bit then fake em out.

Usually when its someone who isn't very good at running (spotdodging/rolling) you can just stand close to them and their make a move thinking your going to attack when they do this punish them.

Dojo Sam

Smash Cadet
haha Azumanga Daioh... great anime. Teczero, your sig rocks.

Well, anyway, onto the topic. You know, I have two friends who play basically like you described, just that one of them rolls a lot and one of them spot dodges a lot. IMO, one adjustment you can make against these types of players is to use lower-commitment attacks. What do I mean by a low-commitment attack? Well, something like a jab, which takes a split second to execute and after which you can do something else quickly. In short, attacks with little or no lag. A f-smash would be considered high-commitment because once you start it... well, you're going that way no matter what.

So the key is attacking them in a way that allows you to connect but doesn't allow them to beat you up after they roll/spot dodge (I think this is related to what Yoshistar said before about using a non-punishable move). I used the jab as an example above, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm saying you should use a jab -- you're just going to have to think about this (sorry, lol). And like many people in this thread have already said, it's important to use this in conjunction with predicting your opponent's moves. Mindgame your opponent into spot dodging when you aren't going to attack, then hit him afterwards. Make your opponent think you're going to attack, let him roll somewhere, and punish him where he stops. Projectiles can also be effective for these types of players.

Above all... be patient and keep your head in the game.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
You know how sometimes you get those things floating around your eyes? Well, I'm trackin' one down now, as we speak.
To get off topic for a sec this thing does happen to me when I'm bored out of my mind in classes I'm a nub though I don't go chasing it like Osaka.

I want to be just like Osaka when I grow up.

distr0ia

Smash Apprentice
stand back and start playing defensively. hell, just roll right along with 'em and see how they react

test their patience. you might be surpised at how easily people can break when the action starts slowing down and their trigger fingers get itchy

Fredd

Smash Apprentice
Roll dodgers, spot dodgers.
What to do. . .what to do?

Personally, I`ve only encountered overly-excessive dodgers in one-on-one battles.
What I do is figure out the tendency of their dodges.
For example, if you run up to them do they roll backwards? Forwards? Spot dodge?
If they dodge you and counter with an attack, which attack are they most likely to perform?

Try finding a way that either traps them in their own dodging game or a counter to counter their counter.
-Confuses-

As most of you all have said, Lucario is the most annoying when it comes to dodging.
Time to practice!

Statuskuo

Smash Rookie
Once you see when they like to dodge, just anticipate and grab them out of it. If they keep on doing that, you will rack up damage. Basically, be careful and punish.

Karmacide

Smash Lord
People addicted to dodges and rolls are my favorite people to beat. Just anticipate it and do a running grab for when they roll away and ftilt attack when they try to roll behind me (I play Snake). Jab attacks work for when someone spot dodges.

Something I do to rollers is run up to them and stop just a little past the roll range to see if they try to roll behind me. If they do, they get Snake's lethal ftilt. Characters with fast smashes should use those. This is especially useful if you just died and run at them while you're still invincible and they have their back to the edge of the stage.

PredictablyStubborn

Smash Apprentice
Down Smash, grab

if you're lucas, pivot grab when you suspect they are rolling behind you.
If they are rolling away from you, fire a projectile.

If you suspect a spot dodge, CHARGE your smash attack to hit right after the spot dodge animation, or DELAY your grab.

I'm a big spot dodger. If I roll next to the opponent, I WILL spot dodge if I feel a grab coming. Threaten your opponent with the spacing of a grab, and punish the spot dodge with a forward smash in their direction.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
predict the rolls. jab where they will be.

they are being predictable. so predict. don't attack where they are. attack where they will be.

Kayzee

Smash Journeyman
I do one of four things:

- I head to the spot they're dodging in or toward, and SH Nair

- I Dsmash like crazy while rolling as well

- I shield-grab

- I taunt/bait the opponent by rolling and spot dodging in a crack cocaine fashion.

Also, if I'm Meta Knight, I'll chase them down with tornadoes.

Top Bottom