• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roll Boosted Luma/Lunar Landing

falln

Smash Ace
Pretty sure this is new. If it's not well at least I have a version in video form. Came across it while practicing a fun but completely unfeasible combo (that is also in the vid).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdJ8UUu5mJk

I don't really post here and it feels like smashboards collectively does not know west coast very well so I'll use this as a quick introduction. Hi I'm falln. Rank 9 in SoCal, was also ranked in brawl (kirby) for the last 4 years. Got 25th at apex [despite being placed as seed 6 in r1 pool]. I lab this game quite a bit and whenever I find stuff I put it up on my channel.

Normally I just post the stuff to reddit/fb because my experience with smashboards in brawl days left a lot to be desired but new game new people I suppose.

If the video gains the rosalina board's collective approval then my request is to help bump it up a bit on reddit. so hard for anything to get off the ground there. http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/c...na_advanced_tech_roll_boosted_lumalunar_land/

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
I've always used dash attack to extend the luma off the ledge, but there is significantly more style doing it this way. As someone who thoroughly enjoys frustrating people in For Glory, every flashy new technique is quite welcome.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Pretty sure this is new. If it's not well at least I have a version in video form. Came across it while practicing a fun but completely unfeasible combo (that is also in the vid).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdJ8UUu5mJk

I don't really post here and it feels like smashboards collectively does not know west coast very well so I'll use this as a quick introduction. Hi I'm falln. Rank 9 in SoCal, was also ranked in brawl (kirby) for the last 4 years. Got 25th at apex [despite being placed as seed 6 in r1 pool]. I lab this game quite a bit and whenever I find stuff I put it up on my channel.

Normally I just post the stuff to reddit/fb because my experience with smashboards in brawl days left a lot to be desired but new game new people I suppose.

If the video gains the rosalina board's collective approval then my request is to help bump it up a bit on reddit. so hard for anything to get off the ground there. http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/c...na_advanced_tech_roll_boosted_lumalunar_land/
I actually saw this technique a couple of days ago. A japanese rosalina was doing and it blew my mind. Good job with the video great stuff to see. The potential on Rosalina is ridiculous.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
I wasn't aware rolls could be used to manipulate Luma mid-attack, this looks really promising. Good stuff!

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Ah, another way of using aerials, good find, its easy to understand why it works.
Tried it and it stacks with the aerial interupted ledgejump.
Meaning you can have luma quite far, below the edge free to do anything you want after ledgejumping, doing backair, second backair lands close to the ledge, and roll towards the ledge after to get more lumaspace, takes a bit of time but get luma even further away and even a bit lower to threaten that space.

EDIT, you mentioned that you go alot into the lab, any idea how https://vine.co/u/1132297289617043456 the 0-ko on shiek (posted jan 11)had the upsmash as a combo from upthrow? I think it might be related to the clockitem but theres none showed.

Last edited:

falln

Smash Ace
yea lol he used the timer. it's pretty clear if you compare how fast rosa is compared to sheik.

it's also the only possible way for the up b hit to count as a combo. that **** takes a long time before you can atk with luma

Last edited:

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Since this is a LL and you can Luma shot or star bits immediately, does this still apply, or is Rosalina still trapped in the rolling frames to do this?

falln

Smash Ace
no, because with this technique you would be opting to use your free frames as rosalina to roll instead of another attack. you can however star bits when you finish your roll if luma found herself in a favorable position. if you roll boost at the edge then luma will be too far to trigger luma shot

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Very nice. Going to incorporate this a lot more. Still need to perfect luma landing though myself. Good looking edgeguarding move for sure and can't wait for people to find cool things to do with this.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Another quick thought. Does Rosalina have any way to cancel her roll? If so, can it be used in conjunction with LL to send Luma further from Rosalina? Essentially Rosalina would stay in place from the canceled roll, but Luma would still move as if Rosalina had rolled.

I thought I remembered reading something about being able to cancel a roll with a grab? Would that apply here?

Last edited:

falln

Smash Ace
to my knowledge, rosalina's roll cancelled grab doesn't provide any advantage [or end faster] over a standing grab or a dash grab. there may be some very niche applications with glide tossing (luma land while catching a banana then cancel a roll via glide toss? would put luma at an interesting range). not sure on the feasibility of that option even if you find yourself in that circumstance but the mechanics behind it should work out.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Very cool trick, will most likely be extremely useful. I've mostly been practicing Luma separation and manipulation lately (something too often overlooked even by some really good players), so this is definitely gonna expand that aspect of my play once I get the time to really knuckle down with this game.

Top Bottom