• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rock & Winged Pikmin

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
His Up B special could be the Flying Pikmin coming off-screen and lifting him up while at the same time dropping a rock Pikmin in his hands. The rock Pikmin acts like a throwable item.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
I really don't want Flying Pikmin as an up-B. That's just stupid, and really doesn't represent Olimar or the Pikmin franchise at all. If he just pulls Pikmin out of nowhere, uses them for an attack and they disappear, that makes him no different from the other fighters. His attacks should be based on his Pikmin. Not specific Pikmin, but his Pikmin army as a whole. Give the Pikmin their own specific attributes, don't just make them a move. What would be the point in that?

My idea for incorporating the Flying Pikmin into his recovery is that if there's a Flying Pikmin out, Olimar is lifted higher. So a Pikmin chain with no flying Pikmin will give him a short hop like in Brawl, whereas a Chain made entirely of Winged Pikmin will give him a significantly higher lift. This manages to incorporate flying Pikmin into his recovery without making them come out of nowhere, which makes no sense for a character like Olimar.

When flying Pikmin grab the enemy, they lift them into the air intead of just grabbing on. This could have strategetic uses, such as lifting them up into a stage hazard, or setting up a combo if you're in a team match. They could balance this out by making the flying pikmin move in slower, so the opponent has more of a chance to dodge, since lifting them into an obstacle with hardly a chance to react is, obviously, pretty unfair.

The rock Pikmin could weigh the opponent down, making them unable to sprint or jump and reducing their walk speed. This isn't exactly an accurate representation, but would work pretty well to differentiate the rock pikmin and the purple pikmin. The purple pikmin would serve as a powerhouse, whereas the rock pikmin is more of a paperweight. They could be a shield breaker as well. For smash attacks and aerials, the rock pikmin would have higher knockback while the purple pikmin does more damage, making the purple pikmin better for racking up damage and teh rock pikmin better for KOs.

edit: Of course, this depends on whether or not Olimar actually uses the new Pikmin. If we get a new Captain (And at this point I'd honestly say the Pikmin franchise is big enough for two reps) then obviously the rock and winged pikmin carry over to that character while the purple and white pikmin stay with olimar.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think five types of Pikmin are enough for the Pikmin Pull. If you add seven it just seems harder to manage the line if six Pikmin are allowed and more luck based if only three are allowed.

I would treat the flying and rock type as special types. Flying Pikmin can make sense not being pulled because of their ability to fly allowing them locomotion. Have them come offscreen to aid Olimar while dropping a Rock Pikmin in his hand which would act like a watered down Sudowoodo in terms of an item.

Have his throw be a horizantal chain grab and an aerial attack that acts like the Up B Pikmin chain. A diagonal attack.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
we could get another pikmin rep that uses red blue, yellow, rock, and winged pikmin.
olimar to rep the first 2 pikmin games
and have charlie brittany or alph represent pikmin 3 with the new pikmin types.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
we could get another pikmin rep that uses red blue, yellow, rock, and winged pikmin.
olimar to rep the first 2 pikmin games
and have charlie brittany or alph represent pikmin 3 with the new pikmin types.
Sounds good for me. But there are other series that deserve characters more. I still prefer Olimar to have the 7 Pikmin types.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I'd like to see Rock and Winged Pikmin implemented into a new character like Alph. Here's another idea on how they could work.

Alph's Down B would be 'Switch Pikmin'. He would switch between holding a rock Pikmin and a flying Pikmin. When he holds the rock Pikmin, he is a strong, heavy weight character with slow attacks and bad recovery. When he switches to flying Pikmin, he is a lightweight character with fast attacks, but good recovery. His attacks to a lot less, but are faster.

The rest of the moves are exactly the same whether he is holding the rock or flying Pikmin.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
how bout a pikmin 3 rep using bulbmin, mushroom pikmin, and rock/winged pikimin while olimar uses his original pikmin.

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
I was actually considering Alph with Rock and Winged instead of Purple and White.
Not very unique though, at first glance. But he could use a form of juice-drinking system, whereas he starts very powerful, but weakens overtime. However, drinking juice replenishes this. He starts with 3 bottles (displayed above his damage percent) and gains 1 more every KO.
...Or something like that anyway.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
I wouldnt mind to see bulbmin as a character to be honest, pikmin has more potential than just captains.

Master_Morrison

Smash Cadet
Hmm what about if olimar plucks a rock pikmin that he can hold him like an item
And be used as a turnip? And if thrown just sits there until olimar calls him and or picks him up
It would be very powerful like bomb omb status like peach

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
The rock Pikmin could weigh the opponent down, making them unable to sprint or jump and reducing their walk speed. This isn't exactly an accurate representation, but would work pretty well to differentiate the rock pikmin and the purple pikmin. The purple pikmin would serve as a powerhouse, whereas the rock pikmin is more of a paperweight. They could be a shield breaker as well. For smash attacks and aerials, the rock pikmin would have higher knockback while the purple pikmin does more damage, making the purple pikmin better for racking up damage and teh rock pikmin better for KOs.
Personally I think Rock Pikmin should be truer to themselves.
That being, they can't latch onto things, Throwing a Rock Pikmin would literally just being throwing a rock at the opponent, unfortunately it would take a bit longer to get back to you since it's hard to get up when you're half rock.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
i imagine rock pikmin acting like bonsly in brawl. they are heavy, so throwing them takes longer, they are super powerful if you get hit by them, and they bounce a few times

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Bouncing?
I know skipping stones is a thing that's possible but I think throwing a rock Pikmin should be just like throwing a Rock
You throw it, it hits hard, you miss it takes a bit to get back

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
Bouncing?
I know skipping stones is a thing that's possible but I think throwing a rock Pikmin should be just like throwing a Rock
You throw it, it hits hard, you miss it takes a bit to get back
have you ever gotten bonsly out of a pokeball?

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
Thoughts on Rock Pikmin; Might possibly have shield breaking properties, stronger then purple Pikmin but slower and even more durable, When thrown while Olimar is in the air he drops them instead and they fall fast and have spike properties with this.

Thoughts on Flying Pikmin; Fast and long range. Best throw game but worst grabe game (so as to not overshadow the Blues) and when plucked will give Olimar a better recovery but when no plucked Olimar will have is normal Pikmin chain.
If they were to add the Rock+Flying pikmin I would be so hyped (big fan of Pikmin 3). This would be the way to integrate them, too. The little "hop" Olimar makes in the air when he uses his recovery should be increased (unless that's what you meant).

Question: I hear people say "When you have the red pikmin equipped it does... whatever the red one does. What does "equipped" mean in terms of Smash? Is there a way to choose which Pikmin you have equipped? I never played Olimar..

mimgrim

Smash Hero
If they were to add the Rock+Flying pikmin I would be so hyped (big fan of Pikmin 3). This would be the way to integrate them, too. The little "hop" Olimar makes in the air when he uses his recovery should be increased (unless that's what you meant).

Question: I hear people say "When you have the red pikmin equipped it does... whatever the red one does. What does "equipped" mean in terms of Smash? Is there a way to choose which Pikmin you have equipped? I never played Olimar..
The "equipped" Pikmin is the one at the front of your line. When you use that Pikmin in a attack it goes to the back and the next one comes up and becomes "equipped". You can also change order via the whistle which, also groups them, and will put the color that is next in the sequence, that sequence is Red > Yellow > Blue > White > Purple so your first whistle would put Red in the front then the next would put Yellow and so forth and so on.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
The "equipped" Pikmin is the one at the front of your line. When you use that Pikmin in a attack it goes to the back and the next one comes up and becomes "equipped". You can also change order via the whistle which, also groups them, and will put the color that is next in the sequence, that sequence is Red > Yellow > Blue > White > Purple so your first whistle would put Red in the front then the next would put Yellow and so forth and so on.
Thanks, this makes a whole lot more sense. All this time I was trying to figure out what his down special even did. This'll get me ready for Smash 4.

The only thing I wonder now is how winged pikmin will work. It seems a little strange having them float around while you fight. If they decide to make them part of the recovery, I'd be okay with that.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Thanks, this makes a whole lot more sense. All this time I was trying to figure out what his down special even did. This'll get me ready for Smash 4.

The only thing I wonder now is how winged pikmin will work. It seems a little strange having them float around while you fight. If they decide to make them part of the recovery, I'd be okay with that.
His Down Special also provides Super Armor which makes him impervious to knockback, but it has some timing to it.

Last edited:

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
I agree with rock pikmin being used to strip shields since in pikmin 3 that is their main draw. I think winged pikmin would change olimars up B to where he shoots the pikmin chain straight up and can hover due to the winged pikmin carrying them. The more winged pikmin picked= the better the recovery in terms of hovering distance and speed. When the winged pikmin are thrown they will simply go completely horizontal like luigis fireballs.

As for the rest of Olimars moveset:
Grabs:
-rock pikmin grabs should either do more damage than purple, or have more kill potential.
-winged pikmin grab should have a crazy up throw that has high kill potential/damag, or even have the winged pikmin suspend the opponent in the air for a couple seconds which could lead to sexy combos by following up with either forward air or up smash

Aerials:
-rock pikmin should have more knock back or high damage
-winged pikmin aerials should be fast and deal solid damage and knockback

Ground:
-rock pikmin have more knockback or damage
-winged could have potentially even more range for smashes. Side smash winged pikmin rushes out with solid distance, same with down smash, and for upsmash the winged pikmin has massive range, perhaps double the range of other pikmin.

It all comes down to making sure purple and rock pikmin are different enough. Whether rock does more damage and purple has more knockback or vice versa

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Well, the winged Pikmin are a huge, HUGE buff to him.
Kudos.
I feel like it would, then, be wrong to not have the rock Pikmin somehow in the game.

I also find it stupid that they are not 'pink' and 'brown' Pikmin. Does the latter just seem racist?

Staarih

Smash Master
I wonder why the Rock Pikmin weren't shown, I think they're a given on Olimar's moveset now that we've seen the Winged Pikmin. Maybe the Rock Pikmin are his new Final Smash or something?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I wonder why the Rock Pikmin weren't shown, I think they're a given on Olimar's moveset now that we've seen the Winged Pikmin. Maybe the Rock Pikmin are his new Final Smash or something?
Maybe they are still working it out? I'm guessing that they would be one of the off sets of moves, and by that I mean, blocking/throwing/taunt.

MrsAccount

Smash Cadet
Considering all Pikmin come at the same order now, it'd make a lot of sense his down smash would be changed. Dropping a rock pikmin right below him as a meteor smash, perhaps?

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
Isnt it wierd that olimars fs is the hocatate ship, and it is also an item? weve got some inception going on here. it doesnt make sense since both the item and the fs do practically the same thing. that leaves olimar with a not so unique fs because it is also an item, and it makes a useless item since its already a fs.

Master Morrison

Smash Cadet
Yup no rock pikmin yet
Doubt we will see him since purple and rock basically do the same
Just that purple are way better in game

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Yup no rock pikmin yet
Doubt we will see him since purple and rock basically do the same
Just that purple are way better in game
They are certainly much less similar than a jab and a hook, yet Mac has an entirely unique boxing moveset.

Anything in smash can be unique.... It would be weird to have ONE type of Pikmin excluded.

The Rock Pikmin looks like custom move bait to me, at this point.

Or perhaps they can be plucked by any character on the Garden of Hope stage so that everyone can have their own Rockmin followers.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
We Need the Rock Pikmin! btw Olimar fans have you guys checked out my Olimar Imagine Gallery?

Top Bottom