• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rock & Winged Pikmin

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i've stared this thread to discuss the possibility of the rock and winged pikmin in smash 4, weather or not they'll be included to olimar's move set, what special traits they will have and what have you

if the mods feel this should be part of the other pikmin thread do lock or merge

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
I don't think they would add another Pikmin rep, it'd look too cloney, lazy, and roster fillery. I think Olimar will use the Rock and Winged Pikmin, but Sakurai will probably show it later

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Thoughts on Rock Pikmin; Might possibly have shield breaking properties, stronger then purple Pikmin but slower and even more durable, When thrown while Olimar is in the air he drops them instead and they fall fast and have spike properties with this.

Thoughts on Flying Pikmin; Fast and long range. Best throw game but worst grabe game (so as to not overshadow the Blues) and when plucked will give Olimar a better recovery but when no plucked Olimar will have is normal Pikmin chain.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
I don't think they would add another Pikmin rep, it'd look too cloney, lazy, and roster fillery. I think Olimar will use the Rock and Winged Pikmin, but Sakurai will probably show it later
Not yet, at least. It's still early in development.

Thoughts on Rock Pikmin; Might possibly have shield breaking properties
That's great. I'd like to see a few more breaker moves.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Though a 2nd Pikmin character might look like a filler character, if he only uses Rock and flying pikmin, he does have potential to differentiate himself from Olimar, I think.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Olimar could use purple and white, Pikmin 3 rep could use rock and wing, and both use the primary 3.

Having rock Pikmin be powerhouses would be incredibly redundant and make the purple Pikmin pretty much useless. I don't think Sakurai woudl do that. If they are put in they should weigh the opponent down, slowing them down significantly and stopping them form jumping.

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
I think that the Olimar's Up-B is now going to be winged pikmin, and his down B will now be Rock Pikmin. Also, his old down B will be moved to neutral A, and his old Up-B will be removed (because he'll only have 3 pikmin out at a time, to compensate for 3DS)

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
I think that the Olimar's Up-B is now going to be winged pikmin, and his down B will now be Rock Pikmin. Also, his old down B will be moved to neutral A, and his old Up-B will be removed (because he'll only have 3 pikmin out at a time, to compensate for 3DS)
Well then HOW THE HELL WILL OLIMAR GET NEW PIKMIN? It's already confirmed that Pikmin can still die!

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
I love how people are just assuming this because the Dojo only showed three. There's nothing to prove this! If they can make three Pikmin follow him, they can make six Pikmin follow him. They have the code to make a Pikmin follow him, they have the code to make all the PIkmin follow him. The only "limitation" was making them follow him, which they've clearly overcome already.

DRM4R10

Smash Apprentice
why another protagonist, why not a bulborb
But this is my idea is that Purple Pikmin should hip drop instead and rock pickmins have purple pikmin's properties and winged pikmin make Olimar fly and all the other pikmin when he uses pikmin chain

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
I love how people are just assuming this because the Dojo only showed three. There's nothing to prove this! If they can make three Pikmin follow him, they can make six Pikmin follow him. They have the code to make a Pikmin follow him, they have the code to make all the PIkmin follow him. The only "limitation" was making them follow him, which they've clearly overcome already.
There may be the limitation of many objects on screen too, though the AI is probably much more of a problem.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
I think that would be a pretty big problem for projectile users, items, stage hazard, and any other number of things showing up on the stage. There would be a lot more issues than just Olimar.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I think that would be a pretty big problem for projectile users, items, stage hazard, and any other number of things showing up on the stage. There would be a lot more issues than just Olimar.
That depends as having 4 Olimars means 24 pikmins. No missile character or very high item spawn can come close to that number.

I don't mean to be rude but stop assuming things without any proof. Sakurai never specified specifically what was the limitation, he just said it was with multiple character players like ICs. It's ok if you believe the AI is the problem (and quite frankly I believe it is the AI too, just like you), but it is sort of hypocrytical that you tell someone else that his idea is wrong because he is going on assumptions of what he has seen or read and then claim that your idea is right because of the same reason.

There is no proof that Olimar will have 6 pikmin again and there isn't any proof saying he will use rock or winged pikmin just like there is no proof that he won't use them or that he will only use 3. There is no proof for either argument so for now just discuss and don't claim veracity.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
That depends as having 4 Olimars means 24 pikmins.
Which isn't a lot at all.
I don't mean to be rude but stop assuming things without any proof. Sakurai never specified specifically what was the limitation, he just said it was with multiple character players like ICs. It's ok if you believe the AI is the problem (and quite frankly I believe it is the AI too, just like you), but it is sort of hypocrytical that you tell someone else that his idea is wrong because he is going on assumptions of what he has seen or read and then claim that your idea is right because of the same reason.
I think you're missing my point here. My assumptions are plausible. The assumption that there's some imaginary limit on the 3DS that somehow restricts more than fifteen models being on screen is not. The N64 was more powerful than that, nevermind the ****ing 3DS. Baseless assumptions just for the sake of being pessimistic aren't the same as educated guesses based on what we actually know. "Olimar will have six Pikmin because he had six Pikmin in the last game" is an educated guess.. "Olimar will have three Pikmin because he had three Pikmin in the pictures" is a baseless assumption.
There is no proof that Olimar will have 6 pikmin again
I didn't say that he will. That's you shoving words in my mouth. I said it's stupid to assume he'll have 3 pikmin because he didn't have any in a screenshot.
and there isn't any proof saying he will use rock or winged pikmin
Where the hell did I even say that? What?

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I think you're missing my point here. My assumptions are plausible. The assumption that there's some imaginary limit on the 3DS that somehow restricts more than fifteen models being on screen is not. The N64 was more powerful than that, nevermind the ****ing 3DS. Baseless assumptions just for the sake of being pessimistic aren't the same as educated guesses based on what we actually know. "Olimar will have six Pikmin because he had six Pikmin in the last game" is an educated guess.. "Olimar will have three Pikmin because he had three Pikmin in the pictures" is a baseless assumption.
I also agree that your assumption is way more plausible, yet it doesn't mean theirs isn't possible

I didn't say that he will. That's you shoving words in my mouth. I said it's stupid to assume he'll have 3 pikmin because he didn't have any in a screenshot.

Where the hell did I even say that? What?
It's not the fact that you said it, it's the fact that you state that other people's assumptions are clearly wrong when they are not proven to be wrong yet.

I agree with you in everything you said, I was just saying you shouldn't say it the way you did because even if your theories have a 90% probability and someone else's has 10% you shouldn't diss them because what they are saying is stupid if in fact there is some possibility it might actually happen.

I mean, what happens if Sakurai does come out and say that having to render 24 different models and process 24 individual AIs would lag the 3DS version and so Olimar was reduced to 5 pikmin instead of 6.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Remember Brawl?

We were told "no more clones" and while that was SOMEWHAT true we got a LOT of "clone like" stuff happening: Lucas/Ness Fox/Falco/Wolf Ganondorf retaining captain falcon like moveset Link and Toon Link we even almost had Toon Zelda...now I know these aren't "clones" like in melee but if your talking about character variety Sakurai has never been one to care that newcomers like lucas/wolf/and toon link are pretty darn similar aesthetically to characters we already have.

Just the way Sakurai has "doubled up" on similar characters in the past makes me think Alph might be one of many new ones that make us all go: "Really *&%#@ Alph instead of Ridley!!!???"... Yeah in case you can't tell I'm not a big fan of Sakurai and his character choices usually. And just to clarify I got nothing against getting Alph but if the roster is small and we get a bunch of spots filled with more characters that, although they aren't TECHNICALLY clones, they still need people defending how they aren't clones to make me accept them, I'm not gonna be too happy. But I'm bracing for it this time.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Remember Brawl?

We were told "no more clones" and while that was SOMEWHAT true we got a LOT of "clone like" stuff happening: Lucas/Ness Fox/Falco/Wolf Ganondorf retaining captain falcon like moveset Link and Toon Link we even almost had Toon Zelda...now I know these aren't "clones" like in melee but if your talking about character variety Sakurai has never been one to care that newcomers like lucas/wolf/and toon link are pretty darn similar aesthetically to characters we already have.

Just the way Sakurai has "doubled up" on similar characters in the past makes me think Alph might be one of many new ones that make us all go: "Really *&%#@ Alph instead of Ridley!!!???"... Yeah in case you can't tell I'm not a big fan of Sakurai and his character choices usually. And just to clarify I got nothing against getting Alph but if the roster is small and we get a bunch of spots filled with more characters that, although they aren't TECHNICALLY clones, they still need people defending how they aren't clones to make me accept them, I'm not gonna be too happy. But I'm bracing for it this time.
Wolf isn't clone like at all, he can't even be defined as a semi-clone, that's how different he is. Falo and Lucas are barely semi-clones at worst, there moves are different enough for them to not even be considered semi-clons, espically Lucas. Toon Link makes sense as a clone as he is just a younger version of Link. e_e Ganondorf is the only real argument when it comes to clones in Brawl imo. e_e

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
Pikmin only deserves one character rep. Give Olimar the rock and winged pikmin, please... no Alph.

Also, if the 3 pikmin limit is real, then flying pikmin as a recovery sounds very likely.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
If 3 Pikmin limit is real, UpB will be pretty much useless as a tether recovery. Flying Pikmin would be a good replacement. Rock Pikmin could be DownB or SideB.

I think it would be pretty insulting to bring back Olimar who has some sort of feature in a new installment without incorporating Rock and Flying Pikmin to show off the new game.

If they both function like the other 5 types, then:

Rock:
  • Has shield-breaking properties
  • Opponent slows down and becomes heavier when latched
  • Will drop straight down at a height.
  • Lags Olimar slightly when thrown
Flying:
  • Thrown at a regular arc, but homes into opponent when it goes close to its range
  • Deals Wind damage
  • Is immune to all Wind attacks
  • Impact causes opponent to be knocked up with slightly floatier gravity until landing
oxyborb said:
Also, his old down B will be moved to neutral A
How would the Pikmin Pluck and maybe Pikmin Throw work then?

lint789

Smash Cadet
Maybe his Up B is Pink AND Rock Pikmin. Pinkies take him up, and he drops rock at the same time.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Changes I'd like to see to Pikmin & Olimar:

Olimar
  • Plucking damages opponents.
  • Whistle has an electric damage effect on opponents.
Pikmin
  • Pink/Winged: When grabbing an opponent, they carry them up off screen just like Kirby and Meta Knight's upward throw. Also when Olimar throws them they have a boomerang effect if they miss.
  • Grey/Rock: Work the same as Purple Pikmin in Brawl.
  • Purple: Work the same as Pikmin 2 and can ALSO stun opponents.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Changes I'd like to see to Pikmin & Olimar:

Olimar
  • Plucking damages opponents.
  • Whistle has an electric damage effect on opponents.
Pikmin

• Pink/Winged: When grabbing an opponent, they carry them up off screen just like Kirby and Meta Knight's upward throw. Also when Olimar throws them they have a boomerang effect if they miss.
  • Grey/Rock: Work the same as Purple Pikmin in Brawl.
  • Purple: Work the same as Pikmin 2 and can ALSO stun opponents.
I really don't see why the Plucking move needs to hurt the opponent, really. It doesn't really make much sense. The whistle doing electric damage is an interesting idea, but I just hope it keeps the super armor effect.

And I really don't see them adding the other two Pikmin to Olimar's moveset, barring a recovery change to accommodate the Flying Pikmin swooping in and carrying Olimar. This, of course, is under the assumption that Olimar can only have three Pikmin out at once.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Maybe his Up B is Pink AND Rock Pikmin. Pinkies take him up, and he drops rock at the same time.
That doesn't work, because you'd have to have a Pink out in order to do that. Rocks would also have to be out. The Pikmin Generator is random.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
rock pikmin shoulnd function like purple pikmin. they are different and should have different attributes.
i think rock pikmin should be like bonsly in brawl.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That doesn't work, because you'd have to have a Pink out in order to do that. Rocks would also have to be out. The Pikmin Generator is random.

That would be assuming he could access the new Pikmin by normal means. The Flying Pikmin could just come in from off-stage, pick up Olimar, and leave when he lands.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Pikmin Chain could be Olimar's grab. He can throw out the chain in front of him for a grab and in the air, he could throw the chain out diagonally.

This would allow flying Pikmin to be an Up B and come flying in from off-screen to hoist up Olimar as Opossum suggested.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
That would be assuming he could access the new Pikmin by normal means.
I don't see why he wouldn't. The only Pikmin special enough to warrant it's own move is the Pink Pikmin. It seems like a really dumb idea to do that.

rock pikmin shoulnd function like purple pikmin. they are different and should have different attributes.
i think rock pikmin should be like bonsly in brawl.
Rock Pikmin can't grab on to enemies. So yeah, they should.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
I can't decide if I love you because of how incredible of a post this is or because I imagined Lloyd saying that statement with that face.
Who says that you have to choose the reason? :]

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
I got an idea for these Pikmin if they're not used in Olimar's moveset, what if they're part of an attack for an assist trophy that consists of one of the new captains? Like Alph, Brittany, and Charlie using Rock and Flying Pikmin sorta like how Meowth uses payday

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Almost every idea given on this thread is kind of silly. Having Pikmin as assist trophies or movesets that require them to be always present or swoop in out of nowhere?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Almost every idea given on this thread is kind of silly. Having Pikmin as assist trophies or movesets that require them to be always present or swoop in out of nowhere?
I fail to see how that's "silly."

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Why should a Captain & Pikmin be an assist trophy if they're already be playable? Let's just make Young Link & and Ninten Assist Trophies.

Because the other captains aren't playable, perhaps? By that logic, Waluigi shouldn't have been an Assist Trophy, as the other three of the "plumber four" were. Nothing's stopping them from being an Assist Trophy.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Because the other captains aren't playable, perhaps? By that logic, Waluigi shouldn't have been an Assist Trophy, as the other three of the "plumber four" were. Nothing's stopping them from being an Assist Trophy.
So what? And Walugi was an assist trophy cuz of his sports. He's not an exact copy of Mario and Luigi and Wario. All the captains are the same!

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I think Flying Pikmin should be Olimar's new UpB with a similar function to Snake's Cypher. I'd like to see Rock Pikmin be used when Olimar executes Smash attacks to the fullest charge or even have his Nair where he spins with two of them in his hands maybe with better reach and shorter duration.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Based on what I've seen in the discussion, that would be the best choice:

Rock Pikmin: Can break shields, more resistant to attacks, slower to throw, worst throwing range.
Pink Pikmin: Carry Olimar for his Up Special if he has them, otherwise the Up Special is one of the other types of Pikmin throwing him upwards. They are the second fastest, behind White Pikmin.

Olimar uses the chain for grabbing foes, the more Pikmin he has, the better its range is. The Pikmin may be attacked when Olimar is using them for grabbing, however.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I hope that the new types of Pikmin are implemented in Olimar's moveset. I can see the Flying Pikmin being used as a Recovery attack. Rock could be the second strongest next to Purple, and can break sheilds.

Top Bottom