• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rock Smash?

Davregis

Smash Apprentice
This is our slowest move, is it usable outside of counter situations? Never had any success using it for anything else, too slow to punish on reaction.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
If you get someone's shield low, It'll poke shields.

Also, you can edge guard with it. Esp useful if the opponent has a high priority areal.

:006:

EvilPinkamina

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EvilPinkamina
If your opponent likes to shield, you can catch a shield. Since it locks in shield w/ new shieldstun you can break shields if they're at half shield. Maybe at 75% shield. Other than that rock smash is mainly used defensively tho. Don't get predictable with it though

Davregis

Smash Apprentice
If your opponent likes to shield, you can catch a shield. Since it locks in shield w/ new shieldstun you can break shields if they're at half shield. Maybe at 75% shield. Other than that rock smash is mainly used defensively tho. Don't get predictable with it though
Yeah, yeah... Shield break sounds great with it, have to mess around on FG or Anther's :D

Bloodcross

Smash Champion
You're more likely to shield poke than shield break (if ever).

I like to just Flamethrower to dwindle their shield then run up and Rock Smash. Or do a 2nd Flamethrower THEN run up and Rock Smash

In general it's good to pay attention to their shield and capitalize. ie: If someone is holding shield while you're on the ledge you can try ledge hopping back onstage with a Rock Smash (or Flamethrower) to get back on. Same thing if they're sitting on a platform holding shield. Just jump up Rock Smash where you think their shield is vulnerable (like if they're angling their shield at a certain spot)

Last edited:

Leety

Smash Cadet
NNID
Leety01
3DS FC
1993-8239-5899
In my experience, great when you read a spotdodge or air dodge to provide more optimal punishes for those behaviors. Not nearly as reliable on higher levels of play but still something to remind people that Zard can hit harder if he has enough time.

Still, mainly a defensive tool

Purple_Anteater

Smash Cadet
You can jump cancel rock smash and slide forward with it. You can also B reverse it. You can B reverse JC slide rock smash OoS...Its actually an amazing tool for dealing with shield pressure.

Purple_Anteater

Smash Cadet
How would you ever B-reverse sliding rock smash? Doesn't sliding rock smash need at least a little momentum?
You gain momentum because of the Jump Cancel. I not sure exactly how the physics of it work, but basically, if you input jump cancelled rock smash perfectly from a stationary position you can slide forward, or backward if B reversed.

Definitely my favorite tech with any of my mains. I'm still trying to figure out how to implement it perfectly though.

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
Can Rock Smash stop Charizard from getting stunned by attacks like ZSS's laser and Ness's Side-B?

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Can Rock Smash stop Charizard from getting stunned by attacks like ZSS's laser and Ness's Side-B?
Yes, but not useful in those cases. ZSS can just wait it or space a tether grab outside rock range. Ness can also just wait or throw another PK Fire.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's worth nothing that some attacks just clash with Rock Smash.

For example, Plasma Wire causes both Charizard and Zero Suit Samus to flinch a bit.

Zard drops his rock. It's funny.

Top Bottom