• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rock Paper Scissors! (Edmonton, AB) - NEW LOCATION - April 27th, 2013 - Edmonton, Alberta

brningpyre

Smash Lord
So for the next tournament, our only potential days will be in December. When are you guys starting/finishing finals? I can do Dec. 1, 8, or 15.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
The 8th is the weekend after classes end. You should only have exams after that weekend. Unless you're in a night class, which means you're already done those exams.

EDIT: But if it makes a difference, the 15th is a fine date for me aswell.

brningpyre

Smash Lord
December 15 will our go-to date, then.

I just want to remind everyone of the rules changes we went over before:

1. No more "Dave's Stupid Rule" (i.e. you can pick a stage you have previously won on)
  2. You can now ban neutral/starter stages, as well as counterpicks
  3. Double MK in doubles is now allowed (if things get too ********, I may change this. I'll wait a couple tourneys to decide, though)

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Mark, Luke, and I we talking about this last weekend as far as I know we decided that we were going to make the montlies PM Doubles, PM Singles, and Brawl Singles.

Now that Mark is really favoring PM, the only people who would enter brawl and not PM at this point, aside from the melee players ofc, would just be the twins + ash.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
really? i personally think it's the opposite, but that's probably just our own bias towards our respective games.

I think the idea behind not doing brawl doubles was because its the same results over and over again, with the same people and the same teams.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Melee doubles are hella hectic. Maybe that's why it's painful to watch. The dynamics of it are so different compared to singles. There's a ton of stuff going on at the same time.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
So much potential to just get absolutely ****ed in melee doubles, and lots of times there's just nothing you can do about it :/.

Stevo

Smash Champion
it's basically 2 singles matches going on at the same time, except you can take a break from your match to run in and grab cargo jump up-throw double jump Fair someone else.

That's about the only difference I can notice.

Frio

Smash Champion
I really think we should ditch brawl doubles. We have like what 4-5 teams on a good day? If we do PM teams we'll get more entries.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
There's way more dynamics in doubles than just two singles matches. There's so much teamwork and coverage and team strats and everything.

Two mediocre players can be amazing if they have really good synergy together.

Tyson needs to get in on this thread to show us how good doubles is.

brningpyre

Smash Lord
Mark, Luke, and I we talking about this last weekend as far as I know we decided that we were going to make the montlies PM Doubles, PM Singles, and Brawl Singles.
Ummm, what? No.

Brawl Doubles, Brawl Singles, then probably a PM side-event of either singles, doubles, crews, or something else.

I'm all for attending, helping out with PM tourneys, though.

Stevo

Smash Champion
There's way more dynamics in doubles than just two singles matches. There's so much teamwork and coverage and team strats and everything.

Two mediocre players can be amazing if they have really good synergy together.

Tyson needs to get in on this thread to show us how good doubles is.
I don't know about anyone else, but I was kidding. (mostly)

I think doubles are great, I just have never had a doubles partner. Other than Sid for double Zelda I guess.

Yoshara

Smash Lord
Not to derail the current topic, but I will not be hosting this Friday due to attending a Magic the Gathering tournament, unless people are okay with showing up around 8:30 PM.

Limeee

Smash Champion
brawl doubles is insanely boring now

i think we should choose between p:m singles and brawl doubles (especially if it's free brawl doubles)
but the only really fair way to do this is to have a vote
:009:

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Lol oh Victor. I never agreed to that. Brawl doubles results are predictable but the game play is so fun. Way better than melee doubles.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
oh i thought thats what we agreed on while we were all in the car, must have misheard you

Stevo

Smash Champion
just being honest here

I probably won't attend if it is a brawl tournament (singles and doubles) with a side PM thing.

It's a long way for me to come and takes lots of planning just to attend a side event that people may not even care about.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
My suggestion would be to make these Brawl + P:M monthlies instead of Brawl w/ P:M now that P:M has more or less established itself as the successor to melee in our community. Especially now that P:M generates 1. more hype, and 2. more attendance than the supposed main event.

P:M has brought a lot of people back to the smash community and has brought together brawl and melee (save for the twins + ash from brawl and Carl from melee) and I think we should take advantage of this.

I'd like to see a full Doubles and Singles event w/ Pools for P:M. If time is an issue, I am all for ditching Brawl Doubles for P:M Doubles. Whether the dynamic gameplay of P:M is a turn off for some of you, P:M is a growing game where our results are always different, and I think it's worth being given the opportunity to show it's worth.

Also, for the sake of Stevo who needs to drive long distances to attend, I would really like to see Doubles and Singles P:M done before Brawl. I'm sure no one from Brawl will mind if it starts later, and P:M doubles + singles despite having a larger attendance should be able to finish at a much earlier time than Doubles and/or Brawl Singles.

Thoughts?

Stevo

Smash Champion
<3 Victra

that would be awesome, but I don't expect you guys to shuffle things around just for me. I really would like to start attending these, though. Are they always on saturdays? I could maybe arrange to stay the night in Edmonton too if it is a Saturday.

What day is the next one? I can't make it on the 8th for the record.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I think this is being held on the 15th.

I really don't think the brawl community will mind running their tournament later in the afternoon considering youre driving from athabasca

edit: quoting this so its the top of this new page
My suggestion would be to make these Brawl + P:M monthlies instead of Brawl w/ P:M now that P:M has more or less established itself as the successor to melee in our community. Especially now that P:M generates 1. more hype, and 2. more attendance than the supposed main event.

P:M has brought a lot of people back to the smash community and has brought together brawl and melee (save for the twins + ash from brawl and Carl from melee) and I think we should take advantage of this.

I'd like to see a full Doubles and Singles event w/ Pools for P:M. If time is an issue, I am all for ditching Brawl Doubles for P:M Doubles. Whether the dynamic gameplay of P:M is a turn off for some of you, P:M is a growing game where our results are always different, and I think it's worth being given the opportunity to show it's worth.

Also, for the sake of Stevo who needs to drive long distances to attend, I would really like to see Doubles and Singles P:M done before Brawl. I'm sure no one from Brawl will mind if it starts later, and P:M doubles + singles despite having a larger attendance should be able to finish at a much earlier time than Doubles and/or Brawl Singles.

Thoughts?

Top Bottom