• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Robins, please stop camping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
After fighting around 50 Robin matches, every single one as played the camp game and run from edge to edge for the full 5 minutes.

Robins, please stop doing this or find a new character. It's not fun for anyone.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Maybe if this were Brawl, the Pit arrows have tons of lag. The arrows are only good for punishing campers, not for camping yourself.
You sure? I have faught many Pits and those arrows are pretty fast to me

Robins are a bit more annoying at it though...since they are a lot better at keeping you away from them
Robin is more Agile but Robin isnt th only one guilty of this, There is Zelda with her fire, Robin with his Thunder, Pits with their Arrows( at least to me), Villagers with their trees (guilty)

Last edited:

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
You should try punishing the Pit, there is so much room to **** us up after shooting an arrow, it's almost pathetic. And we're supposed to be archers!

If it's a good strategy, why should we stop?
It really isn't a good strategy though. It just runs the clock.

Last edited:

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
You sure? I have faught many Pits and those arrows are pretty fast to me

Robin is more Agile but Robin isnt th only one guilty of this, There is Zelda with her fire, Robin with his Thunder, Pits with their Arrows( at least to me), Villagers with their trees (guilty)
elfire is what I was referring to as far as tools to keep you away.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
elfire is what I was referring to as far as tools to keep you away.
Oh yeah Elfire, They most use that on me, them run to me and attack.... although any move Robin uses can be pocketed by me so he may need to watch out. Especially fully charged thunder... not sure if it is possible, I have had much luck there though

Dark Lady

A Red Witch
No. I will not stop camping the edge. Wanna know why?

What are my approach options? Laggy aerials. A reverse LSBair that wastes a charge if I wiff. And a really crappy dash game. Maybe a glide tossed book/sword, but i'd have to have lost all charges on something.

What are my edge options? Charging a cannon that threatens the whole screen, bait for elfire combos, Arcthunder reads, dash attack reads, and edgeguard.

I'll take the latter (Depending on my opponents character)

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Robin is weak up close. He's purely a camping character.

The match up is boring, but that's just how he plays. Nothing wrong with it.

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Oh yeah Elfire, They most use that on me, them run to me and attack.... although any move Robin uses can be pocketed by me so he may need to watch out. Especially fully charged thunder... not sure if it is possible, I have had much luck there though
It's possible, which is quite cool. It's also affected by rosalinas :GCD::GCB:

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
For some reason, the fire attack isn't what I have a problem with. It's just literal running/rolling like a chicken with its head cut off for 5 minutes.

if I'm winning, I'm going to run
The cancer of this community, everyone.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Thats Robin's playstyle. Are you going to complain how DHD plays the same way?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
That's... kind of how Robin plays. Keep opponents at a distance with spells and hit them hard when the chance presents itself.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Let's follow this guy's logic, everyone:

"Hey Little Macs, please stop punching.

After fighting around 30 Little Mac matches, every single one played the rushdown game and run from edge to edge charging punches and repeatedly punching for the full 5 minutes.

Little Macs, please stop doing this or find a new character. It's not fun for anyone."

A character has a playstyle suited to them. Deal with it. Do you complain about Duck Hunt throwing out frisbees and explosives everywhere, or about Villagers pocketing all your projectiles? Too bad.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157

After fighting around 30 Little Mac matches, every single one played the rushdown game and run from edge to edge charging punches and repeatedly punching for the full 5 minutes.

Little Macs, please stop doing this or find a new character. It's not fun for anyone."

A character has a playstyle suited to them. Deal with it. Do you complain about Duck Hunt throwing out frisbees and explosives everywhere, or about Villagers pocketing all your projectiles? Too bad.
What about Bowser?

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
I seriously don't think you guys understand what I'm saying. I'm talking about literally running away. Not "attacking from a distance"., keeping good spacing, etc. Big difference

If you really think because you have a charge-up projectile like Samus, and a lot of your attacks are projectiles, that means "your character was meant to run away", you just suck with it. Plain and simple.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Because if I'm winning, I'm going to run
Thats really not how you go about fighing in a fighting game.

I dont thinks thats what he means, At least Little mac has to run to you to attack. He mean just people running arund, not doing crap.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I seriously don't think you guys understand what I'm saying. I'm talking about literally running away. Not "attacking from a distance"., keeping good spacing, etc. Big difference

If you really think because you have a charge-up projectile like Samus, and a lot of your attacks are projectiles, that means "your character was meant to run away", you just suck with it. Plain and simple.
Except that characters with lots of projectiles that can be charged or have long startup are meant to do that. Or do you have some obscure offensive and up close zoning strategy that we don't know about?

And what does one do to get distance? Run. Or do you magically gain distance from your opponent by standing still and letting your projectiles do all the work? People adapt to your projectile throwing strategies, which is why running is necessary to keep distance, like you said.

Thats really not how you go about fighing in a fighting game.
Stalling exists. Tell me you haven't seen a tournament in any fighting game with a timer where in the most desperate moments, the player in the lead runs and stalls to time out and clutch the game.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre

I don't really get it... when someone runs away constantly, wouldn't it make it easier to outright attack him...? How does he plan on winning? There "must" be an opening, or do you mean he stalls until sudden death?

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
In all honesty, No, I have not
Try watching UMVC3 or Injustice tournaments sometime. Particularly in the higher brackets, you'll very often find that if a match drags on and the timer is low, the player in the lead will run away to time out and win by health advantage. It's a perfectly legitimate strategy in desperation.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Try watching UMVC3 or Injustice tournaments sometime. Particularly in the higher brackets, you'll very often find that if a match drags on and the timer is low, the player in the lead will run away to time out and win by health advantage. It's a perfectly legitimate strategy in desperation.
I still dont see why is should be played out in Smash though. Thats just me, I dont think I would really work much if you run around like a headless chicken only to leave an opening for a Smash attack

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
Yes there is stalling until Sudden Death if you're doing poorly, but it feels like Robins are playing like that from the outset. I do not see them spacing to get attacks in, I see them running and waiting for their opponent to attack them, sometimes try something if he does, run and repeat.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Yes there is stalling until Sudden Death if you're doing poorly, but it feels like Robins are playing like that from the outset. I do not see them spacing to get attacks in, I see them running and waiting for their opponent to attack them, try something if he does, run and repeat.
Isnt that bannable? Doesnt that fall under " Not activly playing"?

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Should've watched the finals of the Nintendo Smash 4 Invitational.
I did. Either Im pretty stupid and missed the "stalling" or I wasnt really pay attention in the first place. If I missed th stalling then my bad
Yes it is bannable, you can and should report it, if he plays just to get for the sudden death. When there are more complaining, he'll be banned.
I forgot about the reporting, I just now found out I have to click on the bottom screen on their character

Last edited:

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
I did. Either I'm pretty stupid and missed the "stalling" or I wasn't really pay attention in the first place. If I missed the stalling then my bad
In the last ~30 (or was it 13? I don't remember anymore) seconds of the game, ZeRo (ZSS) was basically running away from HungryBox (Kirby) due to being at high percent and wanting to stall the clock until sudden death, where they would both be at high percent, since ZSS tends to perform better than Kirby in those situations.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Yes there is stalling until Sudden Death if you're doing poorly, but it feels like Robins are playing like that from the outset. I do not see them spacing to get attacks in, I see them running and waiting for their opponent to attack them, sometimes try something if he does, run and repeat.
If Robins were playing specifically to get to Sudden Death the way you imply it, there would be minimal attacking as it is, and knowledge of your opponent's moves and reactions ties into the running part. Any zoning character needs breathing room, and Robin needs it because his/her weapons are breakable after a certain amount of uses and need recharging. Then again, you should know that if you're complaining.

Isnt that bannable? Doesnt that fall under " Not activly playing"?
If the other player is deliberately not attacking and just evading everywhere, then it's ban worthy. It's impossible to judge a zoner who actually does his job by this logic because they are constantly attacking and moving around, whether you call it running away or not.

Last edited:

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
If the other player is deliberately not attacking and just evading everywhere, then it's ban worthy. It's impossible to judge a zoner by this logic because they are constantly attacking and moving around, whether you call it running away or not.
Inb4 zoner = unbannable (only joking, of course).

Last edited:

Dark Lady

A Red Witch
"I see them running and waiting for their opponent to attack them"

you mean trying to play safe counter-play? 'cause I generally wait for my opponent to attack/approach, zone them out because I can't approach good, And try to get to an area of the stage where you're not in my face. (i.e. The other edge)

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Sos OP you ain't gonna win this argument, they'll obviously defend their playstyle and you can't really complain about how cheap,unfair it may seem.

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
Sos OP you ain't gonna win this argument, they'll obviously defend their playstyle and you can't really complain about how cheap,unfair it may seem.
It was more of a plea than an argument. I'm sick of 4.5 ~ 5 minute Robin matches is all.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I myself noticed that this game really doesn't enforce aggressive playing due the defensive maneuvers being even more safe than in Brawl (ROLLING CAN **** OFF). I used to try rushing to the opponent using Robin and got my ass handed easily hard due not being very good defensively - or slowing down during trying to get to the opponent.

Another thing also being Robins can't just rush to the fighter here due their poor running game and I've noticed they play best when catching people off-guard during using their zoning tools. Levin Sword is their usual trump card up close but Bronze Sword is a nice poker/keep-away/combo weapon though.

That's... kind of how Robin plays. Keep opponents at a distance with spells and hit them hard when the chance presents itself.
Should be a norm here already: like the good ol' weapons provided from the Tactician-class.

Moonlighter

Smash Cadet
Robin is inherently a defensive character. Our approach tools are limited (in more than one way) and we're at our best when our tools are available to us and allow us to control the board and force our opponents to make mistakes. The edge happens to be an advantageous position for Robin to do a lot of things.

If there's a Robin that's spamming dodge-rolls, read the dodge and punish with a grab. If they're walling you out with Arcfires or Thunders, waste their tomes and approach while they're vulnerable. I've been guilty of a few of these things and have been duly punished for it often. There's no great answer that Robin has to strong and fast pressure (especially with our awful shield grab), hence why Little Mac and Sheik are such problem match-ups. If you're playing Pit, you can probably just Upperarm Dash through most of Robin's projectiles, as well.

The best advice that I can give is to get better and force that Robin player to get better. If they're just constantly dodgerolling it and not trying to build stage control, they're not really playing the character optimally. :shrug:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom