• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Robin Tier Placement Discussion

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
ROB survived Brawl's infinite, we'll survive this one just fine.
This is a bit off topic, but does anyone find it amusing that the two characters ZSS has had infinite's on have the first three letters of their name as "rob"?

Maybe ZSS just has a personal agenda against that name.

(I think Robin will be mid tier).

Raijinken

Smash Master
Can you source that?

@ AeroLink_the_SoulMaster AeroLink_the_SoulMaster confirmerino?
The Aerolink part of my statement was incorrect, I misnamed him. The information comes second-hand from @Raykz in This thread, and is attributed to Ninjalink, not Aerolink . I heard the commentators on http://www.twitch.tv/smash_24 mention the change earlier in the stream, and other friends heard the same thing. I assume the full stream will be reviewable at a later time once the tournament is over.

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
This is a bit off topic, but does anyone find it amusing that the two characters ZSS has had infinite's on have the first three letters of their name as "rob"?

Maybe ZSS just has a personal agenda against that name.

(I think Robin will be mid tier).

First the infinite on ROB in Brawl. Now the infinite on Reflet.

I'm assuming Zamus has a psychotic urge to utterly massacre anyone with a name beginning with R.

Could explain why Ridley's not in Smash. Zamus got to him first.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Robins tier placement will be mostly based on match ups. That said, I think what direction the meta game shapes into in neutral will be what decides it. Robin has tools for most situations, if the game shifts into floaty air control Robin is really threatening with Levin sword and projectiles. If it's a ground game Robin has projectiles, good range and threatening tilts, but lacks grab range and movement speed (I've been told the run speed is similar to Links, don't know about walk speed as that's important ad well).
Robin to me doesn't seem like a character that has anything game-defining in his kit, so it all comes down to his tool and abilities in the match ups of what characters become strong. It's not uncommon for otherwise meh characters to get by in mid/high tiers because they have specific tools that work well in the meta, or against specific, good characters (#1 example is jiggs in melee, she's a pretty bad character that has the tools to win match ups against great characters like shiek, falcon and peach and go even with marth/falco, while struggles vs characters like doc or young link because they thrive in the sort of game play her kit forces)
Robin has great adaptability from what I've seen of him, so it will all depend on what characters become good and popular, and what Robin can do about them
(Specifically watch out for duck hunt dog, ZSS, little mac and shulk imo)

Last edited:

Hunter Nightblood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
kah0922
Someone did a complete character analysis of Robin on reddit. I would link to it, but I don't have 10 posts yet.

From the looks of things, Robin won't be that great in a time match, but that's just me speculating. Then again, tier lists are based on tournaments which are based on Stock.

Walfan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Walfan
3DS FC
1719-3715-3474

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Most of that is either stuff we already know, or is slightly wrong. Nice to see I wasn't the only one doing research, though.

Among the errors:
Elthunder incorrect damage value.
Says Robin is Heavy. (Slightly on the light side of the middle of the cast)
Significantly underrates/doesn't understand Nosferatu.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Robin's eventual tournament results, and therefore, tier placement, is going to be highly dependent on whether Smash 4 tournaments are 3 stock, or 2 stock. Anything but 3 stock seems absolutely silly to me, for too many reasons to list without creating an entire rant about it (which I may yet do ;]). But more importantly, for us, more stocks means more chances to come back from the match via Nosferatu; get a couple of good heals at 150% on your third stock and you might have a chance of coming back.

Therefore, I implore you, Robin players:

Push for 3 stocks at your local tournaments. Aside from the match being more related to strategy, which we all love, rather than gimmicks and luck, it is also advantageous for our Robin.

Top Bottom