• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Tec: G-Landing or Gyro-Landing!

Constadin

Smash Apprentice
Hi there ROBsquad! For the following technic I am going to describe, I will need your guidance to develop it or even discuss if it is as useful as I hope it to be. If it is indeed useful, maybe someone can make a video guide of it since I lack the equipment to do so.

To begin with, I have to say that the tech is not as usefull as melee's L-cancel or even A-Landing/dodge Landing for reasons you will realize after the analysis. So after watching videos of this type

and searching for the autocancel aerials ROB has ( http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/R.O.B/ ) I ended up emptyhanded. After testing, I realised that ROB unlike other characters actually can sh air dodge and land without the 22 frames of airdodge lag upon landing and be able to act almost instantly. In order to do so the air dodge needs to be performed pretty much immediately after the sh though. Although, there are times that this instant air dodge might be delayed, leaving ROB unable to act, enough time for a big punish. Other characters can A-land and autocancel their A aerials to avoid this, unfortunately for us ROB can't. What ROB can do?

:GCY:(Jump) --> :GCRT: (Airdodge) HOLD --->:GCD::GCB: (Gyrocancel) ---> Leave :GCRT: or perform an OOS option upon landing.

So basicly instead of canceling into an aerial immediately after airdodging, you perform an IGC reducing the landing lag from 22 frames to almost no lag. The down side is of this option is that you land with your shield up instead of being completely free (meaning 7 dead frames for shield drop), that is why I mentioned earlier that it is not so usefull as A-landing although in a case of an airdodge landing, most probably shielding is what you want to be doing either way. Another point of view of this tech is:

If you want to be offensive you can skip holding the shield button in the first place and instead after the air dodge do the following

:GCD::GCB:--->:GCCD: or :GCD::GCA: Buffer tilt attack--->:GCRT:

In other words, perform an Instant Gyro Canceling

This option will have you not only cancel the landing lag, but perform a dtilt (or any other tilt/jab) the instant you land.

Finally, this technic can be used to avoid teching as well, after the tumble animation. While having hitstun, press and hold shield (nothing will happen) and right before you land perform the G-Landing to catch people off guard.

PS1: This technic can be performed with "hard way" gyro cancel

if for some reason keep holding shield after the airdodge is too difficult for you.

PS2: Sorry I cannot record exactly the frames gain for the landing, if you want to see the difference I suggest you go to training and go 1/4 speed and land immediately after an airdodge to see ROB's body escalating for 22 frames unable to shield. Perform the tech after to see the gain.

PS3: Many thanks to the creators of the videos I included as well as the ppl behind the IGC and basicly Gyro canceling technics.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I love me some new tech. I will look at this thoroughly as soon as I can. Thanks for sharing!

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Doing this can also let you roll instantly once you hit the ground, though I'm not sure how helpful that is

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
This seems like the most useful thing rob has that has been discovered lately, I feel like with the changes regarding shields this can really be used to advance our spacing game.

Also faster taunts out of dash :smirk:

Last edited:

MD_Orpheus

Smash Rookie
NNID
MD_Orpheus
This seems like the most useful thing rob has that has been discovered lately, I feel like with the changes regarding shields this can really be used to advance our spacing game.

Also faster taunts out of dash :smirk:
Dash into taunt is a true combo I hear.

This looks pretty cool. Going to lab this over winter break.

Constadin

Smash Apprentice
I hope I don't forget to do this during matches
In fact it requires a considerable amount of focus to incorporate this in a serious match since it requires you holding shield after getting hit or sh air dodging, something that with no other char you would do and possibly very rare with rob (b reverse gyro cancel to confuse your opponent while landing is the only other situation I hold shield).

The thing is that the more I use it the more useful I find it not only for air dodging to the ground but for avoiding tech choises from tumple animation. I have even caught myself wondering why I did not use it when I forget to do it amd getting punished for it
:happysheep:

Constadin

Smash Apprentice
Ok something REALLY REALLY IMPORTANT!!! A great expand of the tech!!!

You can -G-LAND while hanging giving you almost a frame perfect safe option, additional to the already existing ones (normal get up, jump, roll). To begin with it, I want to emphasize that my favorite get up option while hanging on the ledge is the drop down jump to either attack (nair or most commonly fair) or air dodge back to the stage. The thing is that not a few times I end up barely airdodging close to the stage back again (literally a few hovering frames on the air before touching the stage) and suffering the huge 22 frames punishing window even though the animation of the air dodge had been completed. So after excuisite practise I "discovered" that there is an optimal way to G-LAND back on stage with almost no lag and while being invisible most of the time.

How is it performed? (I have to admit that the perfect G-Landing is tough and you need to be frame perfect but totally pays off).

While hanging (assuming left edge) :GCDL:---> wait to drop exactly the optimal distance* and :GCX::GCRT:(second jump-airdodge) towards the stage --> G-Land. The key here is the optimal distance which is the one that after you second jump airdodge back to stage, you will finish the airdodge animation only few frames before landing. Warning, If this is performed without G-Land you will suffer the lag even if the animation is finished and you are still in the air.

It certainly requires a lot of practise and common mistakes are: land before the animation ends (you second jumped too late), you are high above the ground while you return back on stage with the air dodge (you second Jumped too early), perform the landing with perfect distance but did not make it on time to :GCD::GCB: (Practise G-Landing)!

In a perfect case scenario you are invunerablefrom the begining of the second jump (which should be performed below and away from the stage and the danger of punish) and during the whole duration of the landing, only to be left vunerable for the frame window it takes to gyro cancel (I estimate 4 frames max (the startup of a roll that is)), followed by 1-3 frames of perfect shielding sequence and finally if necessary 3-4 frames to either spot dodge or roll accordingly to avoid being grabed or create some more space/get behind opponent (either way) to punish. If I remember correctly the normal get up frame punish window should be about the same in terms of frames, only that it is far more predictable and position predetermined.

Again, sorry I cannot record any of this for a visual example, I wish someone to be able to make a video out of it and clearly showcase the gain of the tech. Finally, once more, you can go to training in 1/4 speed to practise it and clearly see the tech's pros!

Cheers and happy practising!

GooberGaming

Smash Apprentice
I wish I wasn't at work right now.... I want to test this tech right now!! :(.

I guess I know what I will be doing this evening!! :p

Top Bottom