• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Official Match-up Re-discussion #2: Olimar

TheMike

Smash Lord

Olimar

Time to move on!!

ROB's Advantages:

ROB's Disadvantages:

Opponent's Advantages:

Opponent's Disadvantages:

What ROB should try to do:

How opponent can stop it:

What Opponent should be trying to do:

How ROB can stop it:

Counterpicks (what ROB should pick/ What opponent will pick {If you're someone contributing from another board})
Bans (what ROB should ban 1 via stage strike, 1 via personal ban)
Preferred Neutral (what ROB wants/ What opponent wants {If you're someone contributing from another board})

Ratio:

Plus, any anecdotes/explanations you wanna give.

Llumys

Smash Champion
R.O.B.'s advantages: Olimar is killed early. Laser disrupts Olimar's zoning.
Olimar's advantages: Olimar has more ranged and has disjointed hitboxes. R.O.B.'s weight doesn't effect this match-up too much because Olimar's good at killing. R.O.B. can't approach Olimar aerially too easily do to Olimar's great pivot grab. If you get close enough to Olimar, you shouldn't have too much trouble.
What ROB should try to do: Your best options are to be right in Olimar's face, or be as far away from him as possible. Keep out of mid-range, 'cause that's where Olimar plays his best. Exploit Olimar's slow shield grab and don't let him have your gyro. If I'm not mistaken, down smash and tilts are great in this match-up.
Ratio: 40:60/45:55
Olimar will pick: Halberd, Luigi's Mansion, Yoshi's Island (Melee), possibly Final Destination and Yoshi's Island.
R.O.B.'s preferred neutral: Battlefield or Smashville, I'm not entirely sure.

I can't say much, due to my lack of experience against good R.O.B.'s offline.

TheMike

Smash Lord
In shot, if u can get close to Oli earlier, gimping is the best opiton IMO. Just approach carefully and take Oli off-stage, where he has many troubles. If not, camp at low %s and then approach carefully as Oli can punish us har with his ****ing good Pivot Grab D:

Like ROB, Oli isn't good at all above some characters. Maybe juggling him is a good option. Taking Oli to the air or off-stage is how this Match-up works.

Counter Pick for ROB is Frigate for sure. I'm not able to talk much now, but i hope to commentmoreonthis soon ad for now, i vote for 55:45 for Oli(i just don't give more because of ROB's gimping possibilities)

Llumys

Smash Champion
Olimar can handle R.O.B.'s edge game well. Super armor mixed with air dodges, aerials, and purple tosses can get Olimar back to the stage fairly easily against R.O.B.

While it is a good idea to take him off-stage, I don't think it's much of a problem for Olimar.

Teh Future

Smash Master
I know all I do is troll on here because the ROB boards are terrible, but this post is fer realz.

Olimar is worse than MK.

Seriously.

he ***** us wayyyyy harder once hes underneath us and he can kill us at 100%. obviously he can't chase us offstage but it doesnt matter because if he go above him he gets 2190381029 free damage > upsmash and he can just spam grab & fsmash when we are on the ledge. We can **** him pretty badly once we hit him but its impossible to approach him safely or outcamp him so we are screwed. He can shield grab overtilt so we can't even space with that without getting grabbed.

I guess we can gimp him but its not reliable to do that 3 stocks... When its easier for him to get 100+ damage and kill us with upsmash then it is for us to hit him with anything other than laser it says how dumb this matchup is.

70-30 imo. no trolling >_> Id rather face mk on brinstar.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
^Still trolling.

Mike, juggling any opponent is a good idea. :p

ROB can't outcamp Olimar but his projectiles make it hard on Olimar to camp back. Laser knocks away all non-Red Pikmin while hitting through to him. A charged Gyro is like a little Pikmin slaughterhouse and it can be shot under Olimar while he's short hopping Pikmin Toss to restrict his movement.

Olimar can handle R.O.B.'s edge game well. Super armor mixed with air dodges, aerials, and purple tosses can get Olimar back to the stage fairly easily against R.O.B.

While it is a good idea to take him off-stage, I don't think it's much of a problem for Olimar.
ROB poops all over Olimar off-stage. Of course, ROB doesn't poop poop -- he poops fire -- but you know what I mean. Olimar has all those anti-edgeguardy things against every character and it doesn't do him much good, it's no secret that Olimar's piss-poor recovery is his Achilles' Heel. :/ ROB furthermore is one of the best characters at gimping opponents.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
let me start out by saying...olimar beats rob...buts it not THAT bad...not at all...like 55/45 (barely in his favor).

pre-game...ban bf...you can't afford to lose that neutral. if its striking, strike BF and uh whatever stage you dont like...i dont like yoshis for example...but yeah. if its striking, ban halberd, olis usually like that stage...not always but its a bad stage so ban it just to be safe. frigate is good obv cuz of the lack of ledge but its still pretty small...I prefer siege...you dont get as many gimps cuz of that 2nd part but I just like it...the only part thats arguably bad for rob is the first part but the platform setup there is REALLY nice for ROB...most robs dont go to siege as much as they should...anyway

mainly...you want to grab olimar as much as possible..and some of you will be like "olimar's grab beats ours, why do you want me to spam grab stingers, you're an idiot", but it doesn't really work that way...basically what you want to do in this matchup is force olimar off the stage right? because then we can **** and get low % kills. well, if you can get ONE fthrow, like anywhere on the stage, Olimar is in like the worst position he can possibly be in. one low % fthrow, what options does olimar have? yeaaah...they suck. if he double jumps...uh oh...**** man thats never a good idea, oli knows not to dj, they want to be back on the ground asap. so you want to watch him fall...and then...wait for it...YOU GRAB THEM AGAIN OH ****! and I know you're like..."stingers wtf, rob cant chaingrab olimar stop being stupid, you're just gonna get faired or something **** man you're lying i don't believe it." but I'm being forreal. olimars options in that position are like...ganondorf level terrible. he doesn't want to be there. if you know a grab will pay off so much, why not go for it right? things to watch out for there are low platforms and ****...but yeah...grab ***** oli!

now when you're not grabbing him (which is most of the time obv) you're trying to keep it as close as possible or as far away as possible...now if you're far away charge up a gyro or something, don't even bother lasering him cuz you wont hit unless they try to jump and side b you or something...but then if you see an oli do that you know they're stupid and you can just have your way with them right? cuz it won't reach at the distance I'm talking about...anyways...charge your gyro or something or just get it out on the stage (obv gyro is good against oli right? (yeaaaaah.) gyro is your best tool at mid range so use it wisely. dont just shoot a gyro randomly and let him shield it to destroy all that effort you put into charging it...just get it on the stage or hit him in the air or when you know it'll hit. if he sees that you're too far away to get camped...then he'll move forward obviously, thats what he has to do...when you see him start to come towards you a bit, you ****ing charge his ***. thats when you can lay the hurt on...up close olimar loses to us, but obviously its hard to get in right? sh air dodge is actually useful here...airdodging through olimar in this matchup is ****, straight ****, dont abuse it because obv it can be punished but the olimar won't normally be thinking along the lines of "better watch out for his short hop air dodge" so they wont normally process it fast enough to punish it. if you can get BEHIND the olimar but close, you're in a good spot. try and get a grab in, or maybe turn around and fair him or ftilt or something, but keep the pressure on once you get in a good position like that. obv keeping pressure on olimar isn't as hard as lots of other characters so try and rack up lots of damage in that time where you have him on his toes. but because olimar is such a gay character he'll get away eventually...yeah :( so repeat. laser is really only good at mid/high %s when you're in this position and you can follow up your hits with something.

utilt ***** to get pikmin off you...random fact.

lots of robs play this matchup wrong (because its not an easy matchup, so its understandable) and try to outcamp or approach with sh fair and stuff...man that just doesnt work...you'll get *****. seriously...don't sh fair...just dont...its hard, i do it on reaction sometimes but just get out of that mindset. olimar ***** standard rob...so play outside the box...rob has lots of tools at his disposal guys.

the reason I think this is a bad matchup is because its hard being outside of mid range against oli...but rob has the tools to do it...you just gotta know oli's **** and read him well. if oli gets his grab on you (and he will) then remember this:

he wont chase you in the air out of a grab. i mean if its a low% grab and he can link it to a usmash then he'll chase you cuz you're in a terrible spot...but I mean just straight out of a 40%+ grab, olimar wont chase you in the air, he'll try to **** you when you land. so use that to your advantage...you dont have to land right away. seriously. i promise.

hope that helped

Weruop

Smash Ace
pretty spot on post imo stingers. just a few things

olimars options in that position are like...ganondorf level terrible. he doesn't want to be there.

the reason I think this is a bad matchup is because its hard being outside of mid range against oli...but rob has the tools to do it...

he wont chase you in the air out of a grab. i mean if its a low% grab and he can link it to a usmash then he'll chase you cuz you're in a terrible spot...but I mean just straight out of a 40%+ grab, olimar wont chase you in the air, he'll try to **** you when you land. so use that to your advantage...you dont have to land right away. seriously. i promise.

these parts i just dont agree with. at low percentages its kind of easy to d throw sh fair into regrab or f smash since rob is a heavy character

and olimar off stage is not as bad as ganon. whistle defends this statement lol

u also exagerate a lot on grabs etc and pattern like stuff. it seems like if u played a REALLY good olimar ud be in for a little trouble lol. the best olimars arent gimped easily at all :lick:. to sum it up, itll be hard relying on grabs and gimping so much

aaand at very far distance, rob doesnt have the tools to outcamp olimar at all lol unless theyre not near top level in which case that statement is irrelevant to the topic

stingers

Smash Obsessed
i hate multiquoting...but im about to do it...cuz im a hypocrite

these parts i just dont agree with. at low percentages its kind of easy to d throw sh fair into regrab or f smash since rob is a heavy character
I did say 40%+ later...I meant basically just don't let him **** you upon landing...cuz thats what oli will try to do right? its a lot safer and probably higher reward too...oli's air game obv isnt as strong as his ground game

and olimar off stage is not as bad as ganon. whistle defends this statement lol
i meant like...

in that position. all oli has is whistle really. and if you go for a regrab then you **** the whistle. what can oli really do there? yeahhh.

u also exagerate a lot on grabs etc and pattern like stuff. it seems like if u played a REALLY good olimar ud be in for a little trouble lol. the best olimars arent gimped easily at all . to sum it up, itll be hard relying on grabs and gimping so much
rob is a top notch gimper...i mean whistle is "pretty good" lol but rob has that gawd **** bair man...its tough for oli i mean it :p. though yeah i know its not that simple. but in any case getting oli offstage always = free damage. rob can always finish with nair somehow lol @.@

aaand at very far distance, rob doesnt have the tools to outcamp olimar at all lol
at far range where side b doesnt reach? olimar cant do **** >.> all he can do is approach to mid range. i know oli wants to be center stage always where rob is never safe but he wont always be center stage :p

Fino

Smash Master
Stingers - $100 MM rob vs oli
After that I want your opinion on the MU XD.

This thread is so fail. Olimar beats rob so hard is so many different ways. 60-40 olimar at LEAST.

Also, I chase rob in the air all the time. After that 40% you know what it is? A good uthrow uair set-up until about 80-90%. If rob is ever in the air above me, I just rush in and uair. Uair like devours all life that rob can hope to have. If you had better frame data, I would be able to verify this, but I don't think you can aerial dodge it either (you may be able to frame-perfect... but I can't tell w/o the data). Rob has trouble camping olimar and has trouble approaching. His offstage game is way to easy to predict with whistles and aerial dodges.

Did I mention Olimar can kill rob when he's in the 70s? Reverse pikmin toss to nair has a high chance of shield poking rob, and sets up for usmash too.

Olimar can juggle rob 10 times easier that rob can juggle olimar. Do not tell me that Rob can effectively juggle olimar ''>.>. If rob tries to uair olimar, olimar can whistle it and nair rob before he can do anything. Stingers mentioned that you should grab olimar and he can't do anything because he is whistling. I lol'd at that too. Olimar can whistle above rob (at a time where his attacks would actually hit olimar) and then nair before landing. You can shield the nair and try to shield grab, but depending on how olimar spaces it, he can hit your shield with a utilt, fsmash, usmash, or dsmash to put you out of range.

I just lost my train of thought ._. it's a bad MU for rob though.

EDIT: also stringers... all it takes for olimar to go from "outside pikmin toss range" to "pikmin toss range" is one SH towards rob (which he can toss two pikmin during) (assuming FD and rob as far as he can be on the other side). Also... wtf is rob going to do at that far? lol.

~Fino

stingers

Smash Obsessed
After that 40% you know what it is? A good uthrow uair set-up until about 80-90%.
LOOOOOOL

I jump. then what?

i mean sure rob gets juggled but not by olimar's uair...try harder

do i even have to bother reading the rest of your post.....O.O

edit: i did

:(

Stingers mentioned that you should grab olimar and he can't do anything because he is whistling.

what

dude i said that if he whistles that you can just grab through it

thats all i said

wtffffffffff

anything else you just...shield. he can't really get away. if he wastes his double jump trying to get away he took a huge risk cuz he's ****ed if he gets sent offstage.

Weruop

Smash Ace
when rob is at far distance olimar only has to approach a few steps so sh/full hop pikmin throw reaches. in which case we destroy rob lol.
and thinking about it.. if the olimar played very smart this is probably 60/40. thx fino

and at 60+ damage, we can d or upthrow into sh upb and not get punished at all.( or perhaps 70-75damage+)

and since ur not talking about off stage i dont really care about that part anymore xD . yet, olimar in that position vs rob is still better for olimar than it would be for ganon.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
yo good call. i did forget about up b. i get hit by that sometimes. but its not really a game changer. and its only 1 hit so if you know he'll go for it you can just airdodge. but yeah.

if oli jumps in the air then i find laser to be useful...but oli should stay grounded right? i mean if he jumps then we can run up to you while your falling...if you sh and toss a pikmin its not bad but fullhop? e.e its just risky. at the very least we can get a gyro down. thats just...not good.

Fino

Smash Master
Stongers won the topic, please close it now.

Fino, you're a joke.
Didn't I take almost JV2 you both games we played in our MM? Lol, and I sucked back then too.

Mister Eric, $50 MM at the next MWE circuit event I attend (best out of 5)? Also, I'd like to offer a $5 side bet (per game) on whether or not you can gimp me.

~Fino

Fino

Smash Master
LOOOOOOL

I jump. then what?
You can jump and aerial dodge at the same time, you'll still be hit by uair. I play this MU daily, trust me. uair ***** rob hard.
Even if olimar mis-spaces or mis-times the uair, he can double jump uair again. And even if you some how dodge that one, olimar is then guaranteed a nair before rob can do anything.
*Sorry for double post*

~Fino

stingers

Smash Obsessed
mr. e =/= mr eric

You can jump and aerial dodge at the same time, you'll still be hit by uair. I play this MU daily, trust me. uair ***** rob hard.
Even if olimar mis-spaces or mis-times the uair, he can double jump uair again. And even if you some how dodge that one, olimar is then guaranteed a nair before rob can do anything.

and going over this in my head. that sounds like bull. sounds like the rob you're playing just doesn't DI your uthrow lol. or move after a jump. :/

Mr.E

Smash Lord
I don't recall ever MMing you, Fino, maybe it was a few friendlies because I remember playing a couple Olimars and it was the first exposure I had to them. It's not like I was a worldbeater myself back in the day either. :rolleyes: But you're a poor troll nonetheless. WATCH OUT GUYS YOU CAN'T GRAB OLIMAR'S NEUTRAL AERIAL

...And uhh yeah, I'm not Mister Eric. Mister Eric is Mister Eric. :/

stingers

Smash Obsessed
yea i know. its confusing. they're different people

mr eric = Mister Eric on the boards
mr e = Mr. E

Fino

Smash Master
yea i know. its confusing. they're different people

mr eric = Mister Eric on the boards
mr e = Mr. E
I thought they were the same person ._.

EDIT: My apologies Mr.E
Maybe I'll catch you at some MWE circuit event ;)
Or are you going to be traveling to no koast with the other people coming? I know michican and minnesota are coming, but I haven't heard from ohio yet =-/
and going over this in my head. that sounds like bull. sounds like the rob you're playing just doesn't DI your uthrow lol. or move after a jump. :/
MM? you live in north carolina, so I assume you're going to pound 4 yes?

~Fino

stingers

Smash Obsessed
i like how you respond to anything that challenges you with a request to mm. lol.

sure, how much? i wont mm you for $100, lol.

Fino

Smash Master
i like how you respond to anything that challenges you with a request to mm. lol.

sure, how much? i wont mm you for $100, lol.
Hehe, well... what're you good for? Also, did you want to do a side bet on whether or not you can gimp me? I mean, olimar is so terribad off-stage and rob has that powerhouse edge-guard with bair and everything... it's free money for you right? =D
I haven't played any "good" robs in awhile... chibo was probably the last one I played and that was on wifial. (I play wifi too! that means I'm a scrub ;D)
//hustle
lol

~Fino

stingers

Smash Obsessed
we'll see how much money i have come pound 4 aight? just remind me, i wont remember. put it in that sig of yours...

and yeah, olimar stands no chance against ROB offstage at any percent no matter where he is. i mean its that terrible. ****, i've gimped oli's with side b before. true story. quit life olimar.

lol @ you fino. seriously. i say "rob is pretty good at gimping olimar" and you get all defensive about it. making side bets on whether i can gimp you or not...seriously dude @.@

Mr.E

Smash Lord
I don't travel more than a couple hours out from my home since I drive alone and have no local community, so don't expect to see me anywhere unless you're coming to the NW half of Ohio, the eastern end of IN, or Ann Arbor for a tourney. As far as I know, Kansas hasn't traveled all the way out here since the original MWC Champs.

BUT WE SHOULD PROBABLY GET BACK ON-TOPIC OR TAKE IT TO PRIVATE MESSAGES OR SOME SHIZ YOU KNOW ?? I think we're about done with this subject anyway.

Stongers, just use FAir and push Olimar away from the stage. BAir could probably be whistle-armored on reaction if the player was really familiar with the match-up or practiced it beforehand.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
what i do is when I get oli into position to where I can run at them and use an aerial offstage, I just jump at olimar and bait the whistle...works the first time

then the 2nd time they'll expect me to wait so I just ****ing run and fair

i dont really have a plan after that lol

and even if they whistle it, it just means I got free damage right? no harm done. they have to worry about getting back to the stage, not hitting me...getting whistled onstage sucks though. i think p~s whistled my utilt then did a falling nair to dsmash for like 30% or something. ouch D:

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Pretty sure Olimar can FAir you out of a whistle cancel if they're paying attention but it's just a timing mixup tilted heavily in ROB's favor because ROB's FAir is too fast to react against. Olimar pretty much has to guess just the right time to perform his evasive maneuver or gets knocked away and dies to an edgehog. Did Olimar air dodge or Whistle at just the right time? He avoids knockback and will probably get back on the stage now, though you can still keep in front and might be able to get him with a second FAir anyway. If Olimar i's too slow he gets hit before anything comes out and if he's too quick, it's simple bait-and-punish.

Besides, if you're facing Olimar, you can still headbutt him with BAir if you call him on the early Whistle/AD. Can't FAir facing backwards.

Fino

Smash Master
what i do is when I get oli into position to where I can run at them and use an aerial offstage, I just jump at olimar and bait the whistle...works the first time

then the 2nd time they'll expect me to wait so I just ****ing run and fair

i dont really have a plan after that lol

and even if they whistle it, it just means I got free damage right? no harm done. they have to worry about getting back to the stage, not hitting me...getting whistled onstage sucks though. i think p~s whistled my utilt then did a falling nair to dsmash for like 30% or something. ouch D:
If you aerial olimar and he whistles it, it's a free nair for olimar.
So, on one hand you deal 10-11 damage (10 if fresh fair or nair, 11 if fresh bair or dair... lol dair), on the other hand, olimar deals out 12 damage and doesn't lose his stock. It seems like olimar benefits WAAAYYY more than rob does from the situation.
The argument of gimping olimar is stupid. Everyone can say "oh, well I'll just bait the whistle and then punish" and all the olimar can just say "oh, well I'll just bait the attack and then punish." It's a never ending argument.

EDIT: also... Mr.E rob's fair isn't that fast if you compare his air-speed and falling speed and calc when the only time he can use it. Also if you do it out of upB your momentum is very linear - you're not going to be un-predictable that way

~Fino

_clinton

Smash Master
Some kill %s if you guys want them

Olimar to ROB on FD with no DI, at the mid point of the stage with a few certain moves...up to 150% each unless I make an exception

Usmash-82 (black), 102 (Blue/Red), 111 (Yellow)
Bthrow-138 (Blue also keep in mind that Blue's Fthrow will kill at 160% if you actually live that far)
Uthrow-116 (Black)
Fsmash-104 (Black), 129 (Red/Blue), 150 (Yellow)
Dsmash-97 (Black), 129 (Red/Blue), 135 (Yellow)
Fair-128 (Red), 134 (Black), 145 (Blue)
Dair-110 or so (estimate you'll need testing) (Blue's sweet spot), 136 (Red)

Now here's ROB's

Fsmash (N)-110
Uthrow-149 ^_^
Dsmash-140 ^_^
Usmash-86 (result taken on BF's 1st platform, to compare Olimar's Usmash strong point at the spot is 74)
Nair-129
Bair-125
Gyro-138

Any questions?

Fino

Smash Master
no...he can't...
Then why do I do it 4 times a day?
(I live with a rob main)

You bair, I whistle. Now, say you bair into me (as in the momentum drift from your bair goes towards me). The way you would have to space this safely puts you right on top of me *free nair*. If you use the back end of it, so that your momentum shift goes towards the stage, and space it so you're guaranteed to hit me safely, and I whistle it - the forward momentum that I will continue towards the stage will be enough to hit rob with nair - it has a very deceptive hitbox and also draw people in.

Unless of course you think you would be able to do something between the 2 frames of cool down and the 7 frames is takes for nair to come out... don't forget to calc in the cool down lag of your aerial as well as the start up time.

~Fino

stingers

Smash Obsessed
bairing into someone is really situational...definitely not what i was talking about

i meant hitting you with the jet...and robs bair pushes him forward you know right? olimar just moving through the air normally will not be able to nair a ROB who bairs away...its just not possible dude.

_clinton

Smash Master
Oh and to compare Olimar's Bthrow to some other kill throws...on ROB...

Ness' Bthrow kills at 119% in the same test
Lucario's Force Palm when he is at critical % kills at 121 with a neutral stock rate (in the same test as well ^_^)

So...while Olimar's Bthrow may end up killing at 20% more damage than Ness' sexy Bthrow...

It is still an ok option IMO...plus in general keep in mind Olimar has a back up kill throw with a black

^_^

Top Bottom