• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rob is not my buddy.

Apple kid

Smash Rookie
I'm really new here so I'm not quite too sure how to word this but I need some help. A friend of mine started playing R.O.B recently and I just cannot find a way to beat him. He does a lot of f-airs, spotdodge to d-smash and he's really good at controlling the center of the stage. I try my best to approach with f-air but that doesn't always work. Any tips?

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
The only thing I can suggest is that when you see him spotdodge, JUMP. If you are very quick, you can mash up when getting hit by Dsmash and get out of it just fine.

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
also, most know this but make sure you psi mag or shield right when the match begins, because most rob users love to laser at the beginning. shield may be better because they might gyro instead.
o Also, watch out when robs in the air, his aerials are a bit tricky if you arn't used to them.
o go for a lot of spikes.
o use mainly nairs, bairs, sh dairs. they can deflect the gyro.
o always know the right timing to use psi mag.
o try not to roll a lot(you shouldn't anyways), his dsmash is painful.
o pk fire is your friend.
o in robs case, so is pk flash. aim for it when they use up b.

Apple kid

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the tips guys. He caught on to me magneting at the start of the fights, haha it was fun for a while. I try to take him off guard and rush in right away at the start, I dunno if it's always the best idea but it seems to be working.

Levitas

the moon
Welcome to smashboards ^_^

o in robs case, so is pk flash. aim for it when they use up b.
what? ROB will go for the edge or pretty much anything other than your PK flash which is conveniently moving really slowly and glowing so that the opponent knows exactly what part of the screen not to move to. Dair is better, though rob's uair can beat it.

Delphino is a decent stage against rob, especially if they're ill-informed enough to try to camp under the stage like they do against most people there. Time a spike, and they're gone.

PKT does good stuff against ROB if you get them in the air, as he's really big and tailwhip > bolt combos tend to work as a result.

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
in certain cases, for example if you spike rob at an early stage, he will go quite low, but he will still be able to get back. In these cases where rob gets gimped pretty low/far, its good to go for pk flash because they won't be able to air dodge in those situations. still risky and punishable ofcourse, but something you can do nonethe less.

Uffe

Smash Hero
He spotdodges and then does his d-smash, so why are you constantly running into it? That's the oldest R.O.B. trick out there. If people still do that, that's funny. Make him think you're going to run directly towards him, short hop and then use a dair. Simple as that. Of course if he learns from his mistakes after that, then you're screwed. So mix it up. Don't always go and SH > dair. If he does decide to shield instead, be ready to grab him.

Also, if you're at a distance, R.O.B. mains like to fire their lasers or shoot their Gyro. So if you're at a distance, get ready for either of those attacks. They're pretty obvious. Keep your eyes on R.O.B. You'll notice him tilt his head if he's going to use his laser. But once you get so used to this, you can just have your PSI Magnet ready. One more thing. I heard you should keep him in the air.

Man of Popsicle

Smash Lord
I play ROB a little bit.
Our Fair outranges his Fair, Bat the gyro, Look out for his lagless fsmash.
Even with his laser, don't get to concerned with approaching. CP Battlefield maybe. Ban Frigate Orpheon.
Don't get above him because his uair is dope.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
I think, on the subject of fair, Ness can beat his fair consistently if he does not move forward with it. So if you were to just jump straight up and fair, you'd probably override him often enough. It may not do much damage, but it keeps you safe, and free damage is still free damage.

Also, you probably already do this, but once he is airborne, focus on hitting him with PKT. Don't worry so much about PKT2.

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
I think, on the subject of fair, Ness can beat his fair consistently if he does not move forward with it. So if you were to just jump straight up and fair, you'd probably override him often enough. It may not do much damage, but it keeps you safe, and free damage is still free damage.

Also, you probably already do this, but once he is airborne, focus on hitting him with PKT. Don't worry so much about PKT2.
i went for a pkt2 once, and i got a gyro spike in return T_T

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
One good thing to know against ROB..... You can DI out of his Dsmash. Although his Dsmash IS the fastest in the game. You have to predict a dsmash in this case. It's not as hard as it sounds, you just have to know when the ROB will spotdodge pretty much :p

Like, when you try to fsmash a ROB, and he spotdodges. You know what he is going to do from a mile away, right? From that point when you see the ROB spotdodge, hold up on the control stick and mash A. This will make you narrowly escape the dsmash and automatically utilt/uair the ROB away. It's the only way to punish ROB's dsmash. :laugh:

When ROB is recovering, DO NOT mess with him. If you try to jump up and spike him or something, you'll get killed/stagespiked by nair. ROBs love KOing like that. :mad: Instead, stay a distance away and send lots of PKT1s at him :D

Apple kid

Smash Rookie
Thanks again for all the tips. I'm feeling fairly confident that I can finally beat him now, after all those times of just barely losing it'll be nice to finally win one.

Uffe

Smash Hero
It's a 60:40 match up. But not impossible. Anyway, all will happen when you get enough experience on how to fight R.O.B.

Uffe

Smash Hero
^^^ You tend to play people I've seen. That's really odd. Why is that? :laugh: By the way, I met SuiYasha. :D Not in person, though.

Top Bottom