• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Forum Resurrection (now with cheese)

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Iunno.

I've been trying to learn Wolf and Bowser as secondaries, but I just plain suck with them.

It seems I'm stuck as R.O.B. and Old Manondorf.

indianunit

Smash Journeyman
I love ROB he's my triary (third?).

Also I try to stay away from metaknight, but I still don't think he should be banned.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
omfg I've missed out [once again] on the happenings in my old home...

and yayuhhz Sudai haha I'll provide the mascot for sure! My nachos are spreading in popularity...Vidjo and Dac were at Chudat's a couple weeks ago because they were at Anime USA and stopped by afterward, and they loved my nachos too =D Chillin is also spreading the magic of my nachos by making them at Virginia Tech.

Little do they know, in 011,100,100,110,111,101,100,010 one-hundred-billionths of a second, they will all become R.O.B. mains who think the character choice box of Metaknight is really some Asian language's way of saying "Erase everything on your Wii and render it inoperable."

frdagaa

Smash Journeyman
Toasty, I love the sig. And yeah, we've tried to resurrect the boards before, and this one's bound to work about as well as those. I do like the idea of actually trying to start a discussion on matchups or something, but I feel like anything I could mention would just be a summary of stuff already mentioned in Overswarm's threads.

Sudai

Stuff here
We need discussions on match-ups that haven't been discussed..then I can use those discussions to update my compilation thread of generally usefully tidbits on each character. :o

That may generate more attention towards ROB.

frdagaa

Smash Journeyman
We need discussions on match-ups that haven't been discussed..then I can use those discussions to update my compilation thread of generally usefully tidbits on each character. :o

That may generate more attention towards ROB.
When you say "characters we haven't discussed," are you talking about Dragz's matchup thread? I mean, most of the actual important matchups are pretty old, at this point. I guess Wario is still a pretty strong character that wasn't covered in the thread, but the really important matchups (MK, GnW, Snake, and DDD) were all in/before June. That's quite a long time.

frdagaa

Smash Journeyman
That's what I was thinking. I'll volunteer to start up a new thread, if that's the most agreeable option. Who do y'all think we should do first?

Also, Sudai, how'd you do?

frdagaa

Smash Journeyman
My thoughts? My girlfriend has a steering wheel cover with a picture of a penguin on it that reminds me of King Dedede. Also, whenever I think of King Dedede I think of that steering wheel cover, which makes me think of her, which rocks.

Or were those not the type of thoughts you wanted?

frdagaa

Smash Journeyman
You're not, really. I pronounce it "fur-deh-gah," but it really is a sort of shortening of:

Friedreich's Ataxia (FrdA)

and the codon that codes for it (gaa).

Frdagaa. Now, as to why I chose that.... My dad's one of the top two or three experts on this disorder in the US, so he started using it, and the rest of the family is too unoriginal to come up with anything better. At least we know that no one else will have ever taken it.

Edit: O, and I guess I can try contribute to the actual question. First: when you say he's aggressive, how so? How does he approach, what moves have you seen him use, stuff like that.

Edit 2: Also, if anyone's the type that wants a more specific answer (I explained the genetic coding slightly inaccurately because it's easier for the layman to understand), the wiki page is actually a pretty good one.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
man he beat me that's all I know...hahaha, but no I actually don't know too well, I'm just mad that I lost to him...I'll see if his roommate has the video up so I can show you. He's also the only DDD I've lost to in tourney and I was like "alright eff that not losing to him again, he's definitely not very good and certainly not better than me" esp since it was mostly chain grabs and lucky Gordos [yes...multiple ones ;__;] so then he MMed me recently and I lost 2-1 due to stupid crap :( :( :( or at least that's how it felt...I dunno.

...yeah, I'm probably just bitter.

frdagaa

Smash Journeyman
Dude, from what I hear, all you need to do is give him a whiff of your nachos. He'll want them so bad his mind won't be on the match, and gg.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
No one's impervious to toasty's nachos, it's impossible, like, dividing-by-zero impossible. You can only approximate it *math joke*

Ugh I'm a nerd.

On topic: DDD is one of my personal tougher matches with ROB, definitely top 5. The CG is a ***** and he beats ROB in the air, and because of that he's one of the few characters who can effectively edgeguard ROB if you aren't careful. On the ground ftilts and spamming spotdodge->dsmash/utilt can work pretty well, but ultimately the best strategy vs DDD is just to run away the whole match :ohwell:

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Toasty response: Still don't get grabbed because it's the easiest way Dedede racks up damage and gets you off the stage.

But yeah, I'm with JC here. Dedede is the slowest character in the game, use that to your best advantage since ROB is CGable and outranged in melee. And ROB punishes his recovery even worse than he punishes ROB's recovery, shove him off and beat his Up-B all day.

frdagaa

Smash Journeyman
My experience against DDD says it's ok for ROB, but camping is gonna be the way to win it. When you approach a DDD, all that does is sets you up for an across-the-stage chaingrab that'll cause some hurt. Staying between a DDD and the closest edge is just imperative to the match, hopefully as close to the edge as possible. 'Course, I don't think any of that is at all new. I might be able to TheorySmash a particular situation, but as a strategy for the fight, that's pretty much it.

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
what i've played, you can jab DDD's without gettin shield grabbed /CG'd, as long as you stay within your arms length, tilts are too slow when compared his grab speed. d-tilt may work, but it pushes DDD away before you can do any damage.

but seriously, this matchup is about running away, and avoiding random gordos

Sudai

Stuff here
I just ledge camp all the time. >.>;

As for how I did, I took 5th in singles, 1st in teams with Lee. I came out $11 ahead before food, overall. XD

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
didnt intend to make this look like a double post,

JEEZ the rob thread is dead, we're like the senior citizens in the brawl community.

if you guys wanna resurrect ROB, try incorporating gyro-cancels into your KO's, and show the community that ROB's Dair isnt that hard to connect.

being friendly might be teh next thing, but that would just lead to stupid posts like, "how do i know when my laser is fully charged?" or "did you know that the gyro is great for edgegaurding?".... so friendliness can be the VERY last thing.

ROB needs some LOVE! maybe that ROB compilation vid will bring us back to life the next comming year

[character matchups of less played characters would much be appreciated]

frdagaa

Smash Journeyman
If I can get snatch a video camera for a bit, I might be able to get some vids of myself with a good Pikachu (the only decent Smash player I know at my school, unfortunately). Does that count as "less played?" I mean, most of the Anther vids are pretty old....

Top Bottom