• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Road to LTC]Play a Real Game- Project M and Melee - October 26th, 2013 - Irving, TX

What stage on the front page do you think is the most replaceable?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member

Sethlon is a PMBR Member, so PMBR is coming and that means a posbility of a dev build to play on (Well, I'm asking for it)
The entire PMBR isn't coming... Even if sethlon wasn't going you weren't going to get top 8.

D

Deleted member

Sethlon is a PMBR Member, so PMBR is coming and that means a posbility of a dev build to play on (Well, I'm asking for it)
The entire PMBR isn't coming... Even if sethlon wasn't going you weren't going to get top 8.
Welp, I feel stupid now.

Oracle

Smash Master
adam lets get a manipedi before ltc2

as for roy and m2, we are almost certainly not going to have time to display them, sorry :(. I'll ask sethlon if hes fine with it and he can bring his stuff if we do end up finishing fast

also i'll be done with the stagelist today get ready for the jank

D

Deleted member

also i'll be done with the stagelist today get ready for the jank
Just legalize everything :dkmelee:

...but yeah let's all get mani-pedis
We should hold this tournament at a spa or nail salon instead of some janky cards and game store. It's not like we're gamers or anything.

Quot3

Melee'er
3DS FC
4253-4705-1339
Definitely looking to go to this tourney, it will be my very first one. Will probably enter Melee singles and doubles

D

Deleted member

Once you finish your fraudulent stage list do you want me to make a common5 like bh3 had?

Oracle

Smash Master
Stagelist is done!
Starters:
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium 2
Final Destination
Dreamland
Smashville

Counterpicks:
Fountain of Dreams
Warioware
Yoshi's Island Brawl
Kongo Jungle 64
Frigate Ophion
Brinstar
Delfino Plaza
Green Hill Zone
Skyworld
Castlevania

Winning player gets 4 bans.

The point of this ruleset was to keep the stage variety while eliminating redundancy. Notably, yoshi's story and SSE jungle are off the list because they are extremely similar to other legal stages (battlefield and castlevania, respectively). FoD and Warioware/yoshi's island brawl could be added as starters, but 5 stages is much simpler and very few people would strike down to any of those stages for 1st game anyways. Feel free to complain if you don't like the ruleset (if enough people whine, maybe I'll change it! Don't count on it though)

I'll have a codeset up tomorrow that moves all of the legal stages to the front page,

D

Deleted member

Delfino is the detention of Legendary.

God I love that stage.

D

Deleted member

My janky stagelist is done! #HYPE #penis
What about Melee's stage list? It was something like this, right?:

Starters:
Fountain of Dreams (Singles Only)
Final Destination
Battlefield
Dreamland
Pokemon Stadium (Doubles Only)

Counterpicks:
Kongo Jungle 64
Mute city
Brinstar (Singles Only)
Kongo Jungle Melee
Pokefloats
Rainbow cruise
Jungle japes (Doubles only)

D

Deleted member

What about Melee's stage list? It was something like this, right?:

Starters:
Fountain of Dreams (Singles Only)
Final Destination
Battlefield
Dreamland
Pokemon Stadium (Doubles Only)

Counterpicks:

Kongo Jungle 64
Mute city
Brinstar (Singles Only)
Kongo Jungle Melee
Pokefloats
Rainbow cruise
Jungle japes (Doubles only)
Brinstar?

lol

Acid Finishes allllll day

Denthorn

Smash Cadet
So, you're already aware of my opinions on the melee stage list and as I'm probably not going to enter melee (with the possible exception of doubles), I don't particularly care to argue about it further here. However, there's one point I'd like to raise about your proposed stage list for PM that I don't entirely agree with.

The point of this ruleset was to keep the stage variety while eliminating redundancy. Notably, yoshi's story and SSE jungle are off the list because they are extremely similar to other legal stages (battlefield and castlevania, respectively).
Frankly, I'd like to hear more on your reasoning for excluding yoshi's story due to similarities with battlefield. As similar as the general design of the stages may be, there is a significant difference in how the stages play.

Off the top of my head, recovery and edgeguarding is quite different between the two thanks to a number of things. First off, the wall gives a lot of characters with walljumps more ways of mixing up their recovery and also more ways of edgeguarding in some circumstances, not to mention it allows characters with angleable up-b's (like say, spacies) to alter the speed at which they ascend by altering their angle against the wall. Neither of these things happen on battlefield (or at least to a much smaller degree) thanks to how small the ledge is. Randall also has a tendency to mess around with recovery and edgeguarding in a lot of significant ways. Also, the slopes at the edges in yoshi's can make a big difference for characters like Marth who have attacks that angle based on the ground they're standing on.

Moving on from that, the platform layout is similar (three platforms, one higher in the middle), but there are still a number of things that vary between the two. First off, all the platforms on yoshi's are lower than those on battlefield. A few examples of how this changes things: Falcon can short hop stomp/knee people from under platforms on yoshi's. He can't do that on battlefield so if he wants to go for a knee or stomp on an opponent above him he has to put himself at much greater risk to do so (though apparently now he can stomp people through platforms on battlefield if you're super precise with the spacing? Odd). Also, Marth can reach the top platform on yoshi's with a short hop up-air, again can't do that on battlefield. I'm sure there are a bunch of other character specific things, but I'll just leave it at that for now.

Last thing, blast zone distance. The blast zones on yoshi's are significantly closer than the blast zones on battlefield. Like, a LOT closer. This has a pretty big effect on a lot of matchups. Also it seems kind of odd to me that there aren't really any particularly small stages left on the stage list at this point.

So, yeah. I don't really think the two stages are similar enough to warrant removing one because of this. If any of this wasn't clear feel free to ask to elaborate and I'd be happy to.

By the way, just to raise a slightly different point, I feel like far more reasonable reasons for removing yoshi's would be that randall is an asshole and, though he isn't technically random, it is largely luck based whether or not you'll be able to take advantage of him or not (and if you've ever heard me rant about game and watch you should know how much I hate random anything in fighting games). The other problem with him is that, and correct me if I'm wrong about this because I just learned about it over the weekend from the whobo stream, he prevents characters with tether recoveries from tethering the ledge if he happens to end up between them and the stage when they need to recover, which is pretty extreme for a stage hazard if you ask me. Anyway yeah, my two cents.

PS: Thank you for removing port town, no words can describe my extraordinary loathing for that stage.

Oracle

Smash Master
well the platform layout is the big thing that makes them similar. vs characters that get a big advantage from tri platform layout like bowser or mk or w/e, you'll pretty much always want to ban yoshis and bf. although it probably would have been better to compare yoshis to wario ware in similarity, because they're both small stages with small blastzones, two platforms off to the side, and walls, with the only difference being the top platform layout. in almost every scenario where you would ban yoshis, you would also want to ban wario ware and vice versa. by including them both, players can be forced into using two of their bans on what is effectively the same stage.

i don't think that randall is that bad since he is predictable, but i guess it can be argued that the tether thing is a little too much so its w/e.

PureYeti

Smash Cadet
Crap unfortunately this weekend I will need the time to catch up on work. Hopefully I can come by on the dime tournament :\

Blondie.

Smash Journeyman
None of the stages are that bad in my opinion, and I'm really glad you added Frigate Orpheon, but I think 4 bans is excessive.

I prefer having 3 bans for a 20 stage stagelist, and 2-3 for a 15 stage stagelist. The point of bans in my eyes is just to get rid of the extreme outliers that can make a character miserable (such as FoD against falcon, Yoshi's story for Bowser). But the counter picker should still have a large advantage when getting to pick. With 4 bans on 15 stages, I think that just makes it too tough for some characters, because you can just get rid of every stage that they are decent on.

Oracle

Smash Master
cper should not get a large advantage. why would we give a huge advantage to the player that just lost?

Labernash

Smash Lord
Cannot go. :( :( :( I didn't realize this was the same weekend as a retreat with my church that I intern at.

So work Johns.

Sorry Rob! <3 u 5evr

pootTheBox

Smash Ace
@Boomstick How did you sense my will to post 8 minutes before me....

Look forward to seeing the state of Melee at this tournament. Young bloods have mercy on me.

I am looking for practice tonight and tomorrow so I don't get embarrassed by you strangers.

D

Deleted member

If you live close to Sethlon (Alex Maguire on facebook) you can go to his Friday Night smashfest.

WaterlessFishie

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to see poke floats removed from the melee counter picks.
For someone who criticizes the game already for having too small of a cast of viable characters, I'm surprised you let a stage be legal that lets fox have an almost overwhelming advantage on so many characters, not to mention almost every stage that moves or has elements that affect the stage almost nullifies ice climbers as a character since nana is so god damn stupid.
Pokefloats is also the only stage on the list that doesn't really have a resemblance of the other stages. While you might like the diversity the lack of there being any edge takes edgeguarding out of the match, and is something that could hinder potential play styles. This is the bigger reason I think pokefloats should be removed since edgeguarding is such a large part of the game in that once you corner someone and hit them off stage you have the opportunity to finish the stock but not pokefloats you can't corner your opponent since new part of the stage is constantly coming into play.

DENTHORN YOU'RE NOT ENTERING MELEE? :(

Oracle

Smash Master
You still can edgeguard; its just a little harder and you have to know the stage really well. If you dont want to go there vs fox, then ban the stage. Thats why you have 2 bans. Thats a good argument though (not that I agree with it)

razck

Smash Rookie
Oh god oh man oh god oh man.

This will be my first Melee tournament. I hope aliami dosn't crush me too hard

D

Deleted member

Oh god oh man oh god oh man.

This will be my first Melee tournament. I hope aliami dosn't crush me too hard
Aliami crushing you hard?

hahhahahahahahahahahahahah

Me and Ali are the very least of your worries. Wait until you play Oracle, Denthorn, Penguin, etc

BoomStick

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to see poke floats removed from the melee counter picks.
For someone who criticizes the game already for having too small of a cast of viable characters, I'm surprised you let a stage be legal that lets fox have an almost overwhelming advantage on so many characters, not to mention almost every stage that moves or has elements that affect the stage almost nullifies ice climbers as a character since nana is so god damn stupid.
Pokefloats is also the only stage on the list that doesn't really have a resemblance of the other stages. While you might like the diversity the lack of there being any edge takes edgeguarding out of the match, and is something that could hinder potential play styles. This is the bigger reason I think pokefloats should be removed since edgeguarding is such a large part of the game in that once you corner someone and hit them off stage you have the opportunity to finish the stock but not pokefloats you can't corner your opponent since new part of the stage is constantly coming into play.

DENTHORN YOU'RE NOT ENTERING MELEE? :(

Emotional boy

Top Bottom