• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[RMT: Theme Team] If I was a water gym leader

Gates

Banned via Warnings
So I was wondering the other day if I were a gym leader what kind would I be blah blah blah here's the team.

Tentacruel @ Leftovers
252 HP/120 Def/136 SpD
Liquid Ooze
Calm
Ice Beam
Rapid Spin
Surf
Toxic Spikes

As a lead, Tentacruel has been decent I guess. The main problems he has are Toxic Spikes taking a while to set up, not having too much good type coverage, and being weak to common moves like EQ (and Thunderbolt but most of the team is weak to that anyway). I'm thinking about replacing it with a Stealth Rocker just for the sake of setting up faster but I'm not sure if it would be worth it.

Kingdra @ Life Orb
252 Atk/16 Speed/240 SpA
Swift Swim
Lonely
Draco Meteor
Rain Dance
Surf
Waterfall

My rain bringer and default mixed sweeper. Rain is helpful against hail teams and sand stream teams and nobody in OU really uses Thunder so it's fairly safe. Draco Meteor has been dissappointing lately so I'm considering Outrage largely to deal with special walls like Blissey. He's also kind of fragile with this setup so I'm also thinking about Damp Rock or Leftovers instead of LO.

Gyrados @ Leftovers
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Speed
Jolly
Dragon Dance
Earthquake
Ice Fang
Waterfall

Can't have a water team without Gyrados. Also, whoever suggested Leftovers over Life Orb in my other thread, thanks a lot for the tip, he's surviving a lot longer now and killing more because of it.

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
4 Def/252 Speed/252 SpA
Timid
Hydro Pump
Shadow Ball
Thunderbolt
Trick

THIS TOTALLY COUNTS AS A WATER POKEMON.
This guy is my special sweeper and can use Trick to mess with my opponents real well. Walls rapid spinners who try to get rid of my spikes and has a lot of defenses against stuff that could wreck me. Thunderbolt is in over Thunder because I only find myself using Rain Dance at the end of the game, if at all. I also rarely find myself using Hydro Pump, so that may actually become something else too.

Swampert @ Leftovers
240 HP/52 Atk/216 Def
Quiet
Earthquake
Rest
Sleep Talk
Stone Edge

I LOVE MUDKIPZ.
My wall. Aside from Grass Knot, which is pretty random in appearance from what I've seen, there are no real threatening grass moves that are commonly used, so he's usually able to set up and wall for a while. The only real gripe I have with him is the accuracy issue with Stone Edge, specifically the fact that it's not only low accuracy but low PP which means you need to make it hit almost every time and if it doesn't you're screwed. Because of this, I'm seriously considering replacing it with Avalanche. More importantly though, if I decide to take Tentacruel out this will basically turn into a SR lead instead of a tank, which leaves a big hole in my team needed for a physical wall.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
188 HP/252 Def/68 Speed
Bold
Hidden Power Electric
Protect
Surf
Wish

My other wall and a wish passer. Vaporeon had been occasionally useful for passing Wish, but otherwise she's been a little underwhelming. I'm really not sure what to do here and I don't know whether the moves, the EVs, or what. I'm starting to think that a pure Baton Passer might be just as good since I rarely attack with it.

Overall, this team has been doing ok with about an even amount of wins and losses. Some of the main problems I've been having are against Steel types (due to lack of fire and fighting moves...I wish Poliwrath learned Close Combat) and guys with high SpD like Blissey and CM Suicune. As I said before, I don't really like how long it takes to set up and there are a bunch of holes in the gameplan and not a lot of overall synergy. This deck is decent but not great, which I suppose is what I expected.

1. Your team is weak to Infernape. - IT'S ALL WATER LOL. But seriously, as long as I can avoid a Grass Knot or Thunderpunch, I'll take care of the monkey no problem.
2. You have no Tyranitar counters. - There aren't any straight-up counters, but again, it's an all water team so he's not too much of a threat if I don't let him get going.
3. If Gyarados gets a DD it sweeps your team. - This is actually very true. If my washing machine malfunctions, all I have left to deal with the huge dragon is Vaporeon. Mudkip also has a chance at walling him but it's very unlikely.

Thoughts?

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
You do know Rotom-W is not actually water type right?

Also, you're biggest concern shouldn't be Infernape/Gyarados/TTar(3 pokemon your entire team beats easily) it should be Celebi, who can actually **** pretty much your entire team.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
You do know Rotom-W is not actually water type right?
I know, but it totally counts as one.

Also, you're biggest concern shouldn't be Infernape/Gyarados/TTar(3 pokemon your entire team beats easily) it should be Celebi, who can actually **** pretty much your entire team.
I guess my main reason for not being worried is just the fact that I haven't faced many Celebis online lol. She is definitely a bigger concern and the reason why I have Ice attacks on half my team (I switched Stone Edge to Avalanche on Mudkip temporarily to see how it performs). I mainly just put those concerns in there so some joker wouldn't come in and talk about them.

Anyway, do you have any solutions for Celebi?

Ugg

Smash Champion
I know, but it totally counts as one.

I guess my main reason for not being worried is just the fact that I haven't faced many Celebis online lol. She is definitely a bigger concern and the reason why I have Ice attacks on half my team (I switched Stone Edge to Avalanche on Mudkip temporarily to see how it performs). I mainly just put those concerns in there so some joker wouldn't come in and talk about them.

Anyway, do you have any solutions for Celebi?
My suggestion would be to run Bounce over Ice Fang on Gyarados, but it's a bit unreliable. But for the Celebi's that do stay in on it (some do, lol) it ***** them.

Top Bottom