• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rivals of Aether - Official Thread

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
In online, there should be a button for random matchmaking to add that person to your friends list if you enjoy playing with them, or a blacklist button (for if they annoy you or if they have a bad wifi connection or some other personal reason).
Assuming the game supports the steam overlay, you can do this automatically, just press shift tab, then select recent players, and find the person you played with. You can then either send them a friend request or block them.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
Pretty it's or (just like the word or) cane (just like the word cane).
I think the word comes from orca.
Whaaoooh. Is that the first post I made in this thread? That really takes me back. :p

Speaking of posting in this thread, I was gonna post a sketch dump of some of my fan character ideas, which (though I'm kinda embarrassed to admit it) I've been working on steadily for a while.

I'm uh...I'm up to five actual characters now...

BinAly

Smash Apprentice
Pretty it's or (just like the word or) cane (just like the word cane).
I think the word comes from orca.
I assume the name is just a mix of "Orca" and "Canine", since the character is essencially that. I would pronounce it like the "Cani" in Canine.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
Whaaoooh. Is that the first post I made in this thread? That really takes me back. :p

Speaking of posting in this thread, I was gonna post a sketch dump of some of my fan character ideas, which (though I'm kinda embarrassed to admit it) I've been working on steadily for a while.

Maybe you should send them to Dan!

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
Maybe you should send them to Dan!
Haha, well I'm not sure they're all that much for him to see at this point, although I know for a fact he's already read about one of them from earlier. And in any case, this is all just for fun, and I'm mostly posting this now because I'll never get around to it after I'm playing early access. XD

Anyway, the (crappily photographed) imgur album is here:

Sol_Vent's Fan Character Sketch Dump

FallenHero

Smash Ace
Haha, well I'm not sure they're all that much for him to see at this point, although I know for a fact he's already read about one of them from earlier. And in any case, this is all just for fun, and I'm mostly posting this now because I'll never get around to it after I'm playing early access. XD

I like the design of the second and last one, I would like to see them touched up a bit to give them a bit more detail.

KoM

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ReiTsubomi
3DS FC
2638-0679-1408

This made me feel like going off and creating my own. Not a bad way to spend 15 minutes.
hopper.png

Since I spend so much time maining Roy and Marth I DESPERATELY want a Sword character in the game eventually. Sir Hopper is my 'pitch' I guess. Jokingly of course...

He'd represent water, although specifically it'd be swamp. For his stage control gimmick thing I think he'd secrete marsh terrain around where he's standing and when touching the swamp enemies move at a slower pace making them much easier to swipe at with his disjointed hit box. He would also have a zair with his long tongue despite there not being grabs in this game.

His overall gameplay would focus on placing pressure on the opponent, being able to follow them very far off stage and gimp them due to his huge jumps.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
This made me feel like going off and creating my own. Not a bad way to spend 15 minutes.View attachment 74364

Since I spend so much time maining Roy and Marth I DESPERATELY want a Sword character in the game eventually. Sir Hopper is my 'pitch' I guess. Jokingly of course...

He'd represent water, although specifically it'd be swamp. For his stage control gimmick thing I think he'd secrete marsh terrain around where he's standing and when touching the swamp enemies move at a slower pace making them much easier to swipe at with his disjointed hit box. He would also have a zair with his long tongue despite there not being grabs in this game.

His overall gameplay would focus on placing pressure on the opponent, being able to follow them very far off stage and gimp them due to his huge jumps.
The problem is that Wrastor already kind of does what you said you want him to be like. Wrastor and Forburn have some moves similar to Marth's.

KoM

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ReiTsubomi
3DS FC
2638-0679-1408
The problem is that Wrastor already kind of does what you said you want him to be like. Wrastor and Forburn have some moves similar to Marth's.
Which is why I planned on maining Wrastor. I'm still wanting a traditional swordsman eventually, put through the RoA treatment of course.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Well, I told myself I wasn't going to, but I had some time to kill today so I tossed together a Day -1 Rivals of Aether guide. Obviously, I haven't got the game yet so there's a fair number of details I'll have to fill in later, but I've watched enough videos that I know how most of the moves and general game mechanics work. It should be available a day or so after launch.

TotalConnor

Smash Rookie
I really hope that in the future we get a Melee Sheik like character. I don't really know all the Sheik strats but I really like playing her and I think she is a great character for beginners (some wont agree and they are entitled to that). I love juggling with F-tilt, D-tilt, D-air, and U-air. Extending strings and resetting with her quick jab feels nice. Going for deep edge guards with her long lasting B-air and N-air, gimping with her needles, and finishing sick combos with her strong F-air are all so sweet. She also doesn't fall fast so she is fun off stage and she has a slightly above average running speed.

Like I mentioned earlier I don't know all the Sheik know how, but I do know that a lot of her game involves grabs. There is no grabbing in RoA so that part of her play style can't be replicated. However, out of all the things listed above not once did I mention grabbing. It's not that I don't like what Sheik can do with a grab, I love the options, it's just there are plenty of other tools she has that make her fun and that are possible to replicate/add on to/improve in RoA. I know Dan can't just copy the moveset of a whole character and slap it in the game but if a Sheik like character does make an appearance I hope Dan does implement some moves inspired by Sheik's move set.

Obviously each inspired move doesn't have to look exactly like the one from smash but I hope they look similar enough. A few of Sheik's moves I want to see in a Sheik like character are her F-tilt, B-air, U-air, a similar jab, and some kind of strong F-air. These are moves I 100% don't want left out in a Sheik like characters move set. I would like to see D-air and some needle like projectile (which could be the characters elemental form of stage control. Ice needles maybe...I don't really know) but I could live if they weren't added. As for a strong F-air however, I have a few ideas.

One, is just give the character a Sheik like F-air. Strong finisher, simple animation, done. Another idea I've been thinking of is a move similar to Falcon's knee. I know it sounds pretty ridiculous but just give it a chance. I know I've rambled about wanting the knee in RoA in the past but this time I'm really hoping something like this is added. If the F-air was made similar to Falcon's knee I would want it to function like the Melee knee, where there isn't a specific sweet spot hit box, but every hit box is the sweet spot you just have to time it or you will get a weak hit, plus you could get reverse hits.

This kind of move set might be OP if all the moves functioned exactly like Sheik and Falcon's from Melee (Imagine Sheik with Falcon's knee...broken. Also someone needs to make a mod of that in Melee animations and everything. Calling you out MagicScrumpy.) so obviously the moves in this move set could be tweaked so they don't break the game, and then I think this would make for an awesome character. Sick long combos with Sheik inspired moves, all finished with a stylish and hard hitting attack with plenty of freeze frames for you to relish how much you just swagged out on your opponent before they go flying off screen. (There doesn't need to be too many freezes frames, but just enough to make it satisfying. Maybe a little less than Falcon's knee in Smash 4.)

Oh yeah, and Sheik's Up-Smash. Put that in that in the game too.

This is my opinion/wish list. I know what I want isn't going to be what everybody else wants or what Dan would think about putting in the game, but I wanted to share my thoughts anyway. Hope you enjoyed my idea's and that you share your own.

Last edited:

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
This made me feel like going off and creating my own. Not a bad way to spend 15 minutes.View attachment 74364

Oh man, I'd love a frog character. I actually had a concept for one awhile back, but haven't come up with a visual. The only problem with this character is that you'd need a dark, scythe-using counterpart. :p Also, that last bit makes me think of Jump-Monado, and that makes me happy.

On the subject of characters I'd really really like to see in the game, what I really want is a Mokujin character. Or in other words, a character that randomly transforms into another member of the cast for each stock. That would be so very, very rad.

Vinzan

Smash Cadet
Barranquilla, Colombia (Now living in Bucaramanga)
NNID
Reztrepo
I really hope that in the future we get a Melee Sheik like character. I don't really know all the Sheik strats but I really like playing her and I think she is a great character for beginners (some wont agree and they are entitled to that). I love juggling with F-tilt, D-tilt, D-air, and U-air. Extending strings and resetting with her quick jab feels nice. Going for deep edge guards with her long lasting B-air and N-air, gimping with her needles, and finishing sick combos with her strong F-air are all so sweet. She also doesn't fall fast so she is fun off stage and she has a slightly above average running speed.

Like I mentioned earlier I don't know all the Sheik know how, but I do know that a lot of her game involves grabs. There is no grabbing in RoA so that part of her play style can't be replicated. However, out of all the things listed above not once did I mention grabbing. It's not that I don't like what Sheik can do with a grab, I love the options, it's just there are plenty of other tools she has that make her fun and that are possible to replicate/add on to/improve in RoA. I know Dan can't just copy the moveset of a whole character and slap it in the game but if a Sheik like character does make an appearance I hope Dan does implement some moves inspired by Sheik's move set.

Obviously each inspired move doesn't have to look exactly like the one from smash but I hope they look similar enough. A few of Sheik's moves I want to see in a Sheik like character are her F-tilt, B-air, U-air, a similar jab, and some kind of strong F-air. These are moves I 100% don't want left out in a Sheik like characters move set. I would like to see D-air and some needle like projectile (which could be the characters elemental form of stage control. Ice needles maybe...I don't really know) but I could live if they weren't added. As for a strong F-air however, I have a few ideas.

One, is just give the character a Sheik like F-air. Strong finisher, simple animation, done. Another idea I've been thinking of is a move similar to Falcon's knee. I know it sounds pretty ridiculous but just give it a chance. I know I've rambled about wanting the knee in RoA in the past but this time I'm really hoping something like this is added. If the F-air was made similar to Falcon's knee I would want it to function like the Melee knee, where there isn't a specific sweet spot hit box, but every hit box is the sweet spot you just have to time it or you will get a weak hit, plus you could get reverse hits.

This kind of move set might be OP if all the moves functioned exactly like Sheik and Falcon's from Melee (Imagine Sheik with Falcon's knee...broken. Also someone needs to make a mod of that in Melee animations and everything. Calling you out MagicScrumpy.) so obviously the moves in this move set could be tweaked so they don't break the game, and then I think this would make for an awesome character. Sick long combos with Sheik inspired moves, all finished with a stylish and hard hitting attack with plenty of freeze frames for you to relish how much you just swagged out on your opponent before they go flying off screen. (There doesn't need to be too many freezes frames, but just enough to make it satisfying. Maybe a little less than Falcon's knee in Smash 4.)

Oh yeah, and Sheik's Up-Smash. Put that in that in the game too.

This is my opinion/wish list. I know what I want isn't going to be what everybody else wants or what Dan would think about putting in the game, but I wanted to share my thoughts anyway. Hope you enjoyed my idea's and that you share your own.
Heck no

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Assuming the game supports the steam overlay, you can do this automatically, just press shift tab, then select recent players, and find the person you played with. You can then either send them a friend request or block them.
Doesnt work that way for this game.

VROOM99

Smash Rookie
If Dan still looks at this before wherever feedback is going next, I really think respawning characters should be spawning in the middle of the stage. I'll kill someone on the side where they spawn, then I get punished. It's not fun.

jam1garner

Smash Apprentice
4nace 4nace A while back someone (not someone) asked about the OST being for sale. Any update on that? Also everything for the UI looks so slick.

Platurt

Smash Rookie
Little question, I'm pretty hyped for this game but I don't have a xb1, so pc will be my only option, but I'd like to have one controller only for the game. So does the xb1 version support the 360 controller or isn't that possible in the first place?

If not, does "full controller support" on steam only stands for 360 controller or does it also mean it supports a xb1 controller? Cause if so I'd buy just one of them to play roa on.

Big Papi

Smash Cadet
NNID
BigPapi
Little question, I'm pretty hyped for this game but I don't have a xb1, so pc will be my only option, but I'd like to have one controller only for the game. So does the xb1 version support the 360 controller or isn't that possible in the first place?

If not, does "full controller support" on steam only stands for 360 controller or does it also mean it supports a xb1 controller? Cause if so I'd buy just one of them to play roa on.
360 does not work on One regardless. Get a "wired" Xbox One controller (like 20 something on Amazon and comes with 9 ft micro USB cable) and you will be able to play on both PC and Xbox.

jam1garner

Smash Apprentice
Also, Zetterburns character page has a couple of mistakes/outdated info. Aside from the fire lands/Capitol/nation issue alongside the old fire stage in the pictures.

GladiusVortex

Smash Rookie
This looks awesome, I have one question though, will there be more than the 7 characters we already have?

Last edited:

Rooting_Wires

Smash Rookie
NNID
koshlock
If anyone else has already said this or not, I am just gonna state something.
I am largley in favor of running a crew battle system for Rivals of Aether. If anyone wants to help out, please PM me.

Tene_Sicarius

Smash Cadet
NNID
TenebrisSicarius
3DS FC
3454-1920-1564
I have a question, although I doubt development has gone far enough to provide an answer. On the main site, they mentioned customized fighters in one of the modes that will not be in early access. Assuming they don't mean pallet swaps or name tags, very little detail has been given on this. Anyone know what this is about?

Rooting_Wires

Smash Rookie
NNID
koshlock
I have a question, although I doubt development has gone far enough to provide an answer. On the main site, they mentioned customized fighters in one of the modes that will not be in early access. Assuming they don't mean pallet swaps or name tags, very little detail has been given on this. Anyone know what this is about?
If it's custom moves I am gonna cry.

Steel Banana

Smash Cadet
Customized fighters are a feature of Abyss mode, which we haven't released any details about yet. Basically, think of it like one of smash's fun modes, like multi-man melee or break the targets, but even more fun ;)

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
They only mention it when talking about their version of multi man smash, so I'm not sure if they'd program something that complex to only use in that mode.
I think Dan has alluded to it being similar to getting stat boosts (kind of like smash run?) as you progress further? Its easy to imagine increasing knockback and dmg, and even run speed and jump height. I dont know what else he was thinking of adding. If there was like a skill tree like system for each character though that could be really cool. Where you can boost individual things about your character as you progress, like increase the boost from burn consume, or increasing burn duration. Giving Orcane's bubbles more hitstun or having the d-b make more bubbles or bubbles for longer. Increasing the dmg Kragg's blocks can take (From not Kragg). Giving Wrastor even more jumps. just spit balling. Its probably unrealistic but something like this could actually be kind of cool.

Cmanorange

Smash Rookie
Is this coded completely in JS (That's what I'm guessing by the image, please correct me if I'm wrong)? Or did you use a bit of other languages?

Tene_Sicarius

Smash Cadet
NNID
TenebrisSicarius
3DS FC
3454-1920-1564
I think Dan has alluded to it being similar to getting stat boosts (kind of like smash run?) as you progress further? Its easy to imagine increasing knockback and dmg, and even run speed and jump height. I dont know what else he was thinking of adding. If there was like a skill tree like system for each character though that could be really cool. Where you can boost individual things about your character as you progress, like increase the boost from burn consume, or increasing burn duration. Giving Orcane's bubbles more hitstun or having the d-b make more bubbles or bubbles for longer. Increasing the dmg Kragg's blocks can take (From not Kragg). Giving Wrastor even more jumps. just spit balling. Its probably unrealistic but something like this could actually be kind of cool.
So, something like a mix between smash run's powering up mid game, and the sticker buffs to certain moves from Brawl? That'd be pretty cool.

Andyomon00

Smash Apprentice
NNID
andtomon00
3DS FC
0301-9874-0642
Hello I've been following rivals of aether for a few months and the game looks great(Ill be picking it up right after school tomorrow)

However i do have a few questions:

to preface these questions, I only have a smash 4 background with no experience with melee or project m, but am looking to try get into this game

1. Aside from wavedashing, what other techs form the other smash games are in RoA

2. Which of the characters is most similar to Smash 4 Roy, cause I main him and I would like to have some reference when I start playing

Aside from that i will be looking forward to the games general release tomorrow

Death By Hugs

Smash Apprentice

Don't be embarrassed. I have been thinking about characters too. What if the ice character was like a Syberian Husky. It would participate in races down the mountains for the Elders' entertainment. It would be a fastfaller, but still be medium weight. What do you think?

Oh and also, yeah. The nostalgia. I remember over 15ish months ago when my bro showed me the first trailer for Rivals.

Death By Hugs

Smash Apprentice
Hello I've been following rivals of aether for a few months and the game looks great(Ill be picking it up right after school tomorrow)

However i do have a few questions:

to preface these questions, I only have a smash 4 background with no experience with melee or project m, but am looking to try get into this game

1. Aside from wavedashing, what other techs form the other smash games are in RoA

2. Which of the characters is most similar to Smash 4 Roy, cause I main him and I would like to have some reference when I start playing

Aside from that i will be looking forward to the games general release tomorrow
The closest to roy or marth would be Forsburn.

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
This did not answer my question at all...
I am pretty sure it did. He was saying either works for him. If your computer does not have bluetooth though I think you need a special receiver for it, Or you can probably just plug it in with the micro usb to usb cord you use to charge it. I am like, 80% sure that works (Says the guy who has never owned a xbox controller...)

Last edited:

Death By Hugs

Smash Apprentice
Trevor or Dan, I'm thinkng of starting a Rivals of Aether club at my school. Do I have permission to put the June build on my schools computers? I won't distribute to club members; they'll have to pay for Early Access. Thanks.

Top Bottom