• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rivals of Aether - Official Thread

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I think you might be forgetting about the air game? In the air your defensive option is airdodge, which at best resets the situation. So during aerial combos the situation is approximately the 75-25 you describe. And from my play time, alot of combos people have involve two or three aerials (on air borne enemies) in a row. Characters wont always be on the ground in rivals either, it is a very air based game. So maybe that will help ease your worry some?
Yeah, the air game is totally fine. The juggling and edgeguarding in RoA is very honest and the advantage and disadvantage states work the way you'd expect them to. Being offstage is terrible and your best outcome is always to make it back safely, while the opponent has a good chance to get the kill.

This is actually an improvement over modern Smash games to some degree, where, as Keits put it, although the edge of the stage is conceptually the worst place to be, it's also the area where you have the best defensive options because of the ledge, and in RoA, this is definitely not the case, you want to be as far away from the edge as possible. Smash 4 did attempt to address this (via the ledge invincibility change) and it works much better than in any other Smash game, but this game is definitely more honest regarding recoveries.

Also, I definitely think something like the Parry mechanic needs to exist (otherwise certain characters would have zero escape from pressure), I just question the amount of reward that you get from it.

Last edited:

Bi_o

Smash Rookie
So, regarding all this parry stuff, I really just have one question:

What does everyone think should be changed concerning parries in order for it to be more suitable as a defensive option?

I'm not expecting 100% perfect answers, so if your idea isn't super fleshed out or has holes, that's fine. Also, if you don't want it to be changed at all, that works too. If anyone wants to give reasons for certain points of their argument/idea, go right ahead, but try and make sure the reason and/or the evidence for it is sound.

The arguments themselves are fine, I would just like to see what you guys think could potentially work as a solution.

jam1garner

Smash Apprentice

What does everyone think should be changed concerning parries in order for it to be more suitable as a defensive option?

I'm not expecting 100% perfect answers, so if your idea isn't super fleshed out or has holes, that's fine. Also, if you don't want it to be changed at all, that works too. If anyone wants to give reasons for certain points of their argument/idea, go right ahead, but try and make sure the reason and/or the evidence for it is sound.

The arguments themselves are fine, I would just like to see what you guys think could potentially work as a solution.
Parries should kill on successful landing. This is clearly the only solution to how horribly well balanced parries are.

Last edited:

Tene_Sicarius

Smash Cadet
NNID
TenebrisSicarius
3DS FC
3454-1920-1564

I think it's fine, people just aren't used to it yet. The only thing I'd say is some more animations on certain characters, and maybe a unique parry for the unrevealed character.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
About the only thing I might change is having a successful parry not stun the opponent quite as long.

Bi_o

Smash Rookie
Parries should kill on successful landing. This is clearly the only solution to how horribly balanced parries are.

Ok, guys. You know how I said that it doesn't have to be super fleshed out?

This is NOT what I meant.

You're giving me nightmares reminiscient of the 20XX setting that kills you whenever you roll. *shudder*

Last edited:

theopenlink22

Smash Cadet

Why does it need to? ROA isn't suppose to be defensive.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Keep in mind this IS a fighting game. Defensive options are necessary to a good fighter.
I agree, but so is advantage / disadvantage. The defender needs options, but the attacker's options should be superior.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
After all this talk about parries, I have to admit I just saw something super cool, which is that you can Parry Absa's lightning bolt (down B when cloud is out?) and it stuns her. I really wasn't expecting that to stun since it's kind of a projectile, but it makes a lot of sense that it would and somewhat prevents this move from being too absurd.

Also, I was just watching more videos, and ZMan explained something useful in one of them, when an aerial move gets parried, the parry stun doesn't start until the player falls to the ground, which is why aerials seem to have so much lag. If there is an issue with parries it might well be that, as even the fastest recovering aerial will still have pretty significant parry lag due to that mechanic.

Last edited:

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
After all this talk about parries, I have to admit I just saw something super cool, which is that you can Parry Absa's lightning bolt (down B when cloud is out?) and it stuns her. I really wasn't expecting that to stun since it's kind of a projectile, but it makes a lot of sense that it would and somewhat prevents this move from being too absurd.

Also, I was just watching more videos, and ZMan explained something useful in one of them, when an aerial move gets parried, the parry stun doesn't start until the player falls to the ground, which is why aerials seem to have so much lag. If there is an issue with parries it might well be that, as even the fastest recovering aerial will still have pretty significant parry lag due to that mechanic.
Parrying also stops an opponents momentum at times to insure that they touch the ground before the move's endlag stops

Bi_o

Smash Rookie
I apologize if this has already been answered, but will steam controllers work with this game?
You're fine, I think this is the first time this has been asked; or at least, this is the first time I've seen anyone ask.

Honestly, I don't see why they wouldn't, considering that the Steam Controller works with games that don't even have controller support.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
pretty much, but that doesnt come up much because there arent aerial parries. but parrying wrastors up-b is kind of brutal.
In one of the EVO videos, Wrastor's Up B had no parry lag whatsoever. Was that fixed?

I also note that Wrastor can cancel his DSmash by jump cancelling, allowing you to mitigate parry lag, so at least he does have that a safe aerial poke of sorts. Unless that got changed too.

Last edited:

badjab326

Smash Rookie
I haven't seen this anywhere, but is cross plarform play planned? Honestly I think its almost a necessity for PC based fighting games considering how much larger the playerbase for fighters is on consoles. Plus with this being an indie game, you're gonna want as large of an online community as you can get.

Twisted_Winds

Smash Rookie
Game Maker Studio has built in networking features that are cross compatible with all of its exports. However, if 4nace is opting for third party networking support such as a dll then it may not support cross play.

I'm not sure about the PS4 export, though, but all the exports available for purchase by the public are supported by GM Studios built in cross compatible networking features.

Last edited:

Tene_Sicarius

Smash Cadet
NNID
TenebrisSicarius
3DS FC
3454-1920-1564
In one of the EVO videos, Wrastor's Up B had no parry lag whatsoever. Was that fixed?

I also note that Wrastor can cancel his DSmash by jump cancelling, allowing you to mitigate parry lag, so at least he does have that a safe aerial poke of sorts. Unless that got changed too.
He can't jump cancel down smash anymore

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
So is there a place I could find the sprites being used in game? I've been wanting to do some designs with them but can't find them anywhere.

Cirby64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cirby64
This isn't that big of a deal, but if your tag contains a 'B' at the end, it looks a lot more like an 'E' in game.

BtheDestroyer

Smash Rookie
I can't thank you enough for the keyboard support! Now I'll be able to play with a Gamecube controller! :D

Phoenix777

Smash Rookie
I hate to be that guy, but could I receive an alpha copy of the game? I've seen Alpharad's video on it and have been looking everywhere for a download because I ****ing love smash and elementals are awesome. Pl0x gimme a copy? I will buy it on steam on release anyways if it's $15 or less.
EDIT: I could also stream it if you care about publicity for the game, and upload the streams to youtube :3
Thanks,
Phoenix

Last edited:

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
I hate to be that guy, but could I receive an alpha copy of the game? I've seen Alpharad's video on it and have been looking everywhere for a download because I ****ing love smash and elementals are awesome. Pl0x gimme a copy? I will buy it on steam on release anyways if it's $15 or less.
Thanks,
Phoenix
Are youuuu youtube or twitch famous? If so you can sign up for a press kit on the official website I think. If not... I mean I am not the developer or anything, but probably no. Just wait till tuesday with me. You will be in good company.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
EDIT: I could also stream it if you care about publicity for the game, and upload the streams to youtube :3
Thanks,
Phoenix
Well the game will be available to everyone in just a few days, so just wait. It is already gonna get a lot of publicity when it comes out.

Death By Hugs

Smash Apprentice
Do you know if any of the play testers are getting free ones? I actually don't mind paying for it but I was just curious.
Sadly no. We don't get any free copies as playtesters. Even so, I think it's fair especially since we'll be in the credits.

Death By Hugs

Smash Apprentice
Final character confirmed? Call me crazy, but I was looking at the menu for Rivals and I saw some bear type statue in the background. Maybe it's just Zetterburn, maybe it's character eight. I'll attach an image of it.

Attachments

Death By Hugs

Smash Apprentice
Woah... I'm already really hungry for more on this. I'd like to ask tons of questions, but for now this will do:

How do you pronouce "Orcane" exactly?
Pretty it's or (just like the word or) cane (just like the word cane).
I think the word comes from orca.

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
Final character confirmed? Call me crazy, but I was looking at the menu for Rivals and I saw some bear type statue in the background. Maybe it's just Zetterburn, maybe it's character eight. I'll attach an image of it.
Thats the same statue that on the fire capital stage, so I am pretty sure its a lion. Maybe Zetterburn's dad? maybe a founder of the country? Probably not the ice character.

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
4nace 4nace Already have some feedback for the early access to give.

More often then not, whenever I close out the game, it results in a "Rivals of Aether has stopped working" crash error. Not too big of a deal since I'm literally closing the game but still annoying.

When you select a tag on online play, you can't choose it in online play. It's locked to that mode and cant be changed unless you go back to online and remove the tag.

Practice mode's Frame Advance seems really good but clicking for every frame can get obnoxious. If you could hold down LB/RB/Select to have the frame advance go at 5 fps so that you dont have to click every frame, that would be much easier on the hands.

In Practice mode, I think there should be an option for a cpu to stand still and parry if you attack or throw out a projectile (if they're high enough AI level to do so) so that you can practice safer approaches.

I wish I had some clarification for what "Perfect CPU DI" meant.

In online, there should be a button for random matchmaking to add that person to your friends list if you enjoy playing with them, or a blacklist button (for if they annoy you or if they have a bad wifi connection or some other personal reason).

After you start a set in tourney mode, you shouldn't be able to change the "best of #" value. For example I could win the first match of a Bo3 and change it to Bo1 and still play another match???

Top Bottom