• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rivals of Aether - Official Thread

jam1garner

Smash Apprentice
before my no good older bro got himself into trouble, we used to run a gym class session together. How else do you think we got ripped?
How do you find time to run a gym while your "no good older bro" is busy being the Firleands chief diplomat? Or you fighting wars?

Note: why are Fire Capitol, Fire Nation, and Firelands used interchangeably on the characters pages? Are they just the same thing?

Death By Hugs

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to discuss a topic that has been discussed with little detail lately: Kragg.
Many people have said that Kragg is too slow, weak, or just stinks all around. While he may not be the speediest character, he's definitely viable.

First off, you have his side special. An alternate option for mobility that also hurts opponents. People say you can just parry it SO easily, but I like to hit 'em up in the air and then side b. You can only airdodge in the air, and the move has a long lasting hitbox. You can use DI to escape, but then Kragg can just cancel his side b and chase you. One more thing about his side b that is just plain amazing is the jump cancel. Many of you don't know this, but once you've hit an opponent with side b, you can jump right out of it. This makes for great combos:side b>jump>up air, side b>jump and upsmash at the same time(sliding up smash), at high percents (I'm talkin like 150%), you can side b on top of them>jump>dair!

Now let's talk recovery. I think his recovery it pretty great! Use up special>jump>side b to avoid getting trapped into combos. If they parry you, that means you're close enough to be on the stage anyway since they have to be onstage to parry. I'd say that's a successful recovery. You can also have an offstage pillar, hit someone so that they have to tech onto it, and then use up b and they fall to their doom (just like pacman in sm4sh). I think Kragg and Wrastor have the best recoveries in the game with them both being hard to punish.

Kragg's rock is a great combo extender, being most similar to yoshi's eggs. Sure they can parry or attack the rock, but YOU HAVE A PARRY TOO! If you get caught offstage while holding the rock, throw the stinking thing and use up b. Then you can pull out a brand new rock after getting rid of the old one. Point is: Kragg users shouldn't be dying because of the rock. If they do, it's their fault and they shouldn't go around saying the character stinks.

Anyway, I hope you guys can see my point of view and realize that every beautifully designed character in this game is great and powerful in their own way.

Death By Hugs

Smash Apprentice
before my no good older bro got himself into trouble, we used to run a gym class session together. How else do you think we got ripped?
Sorry buddy, but I think it was you who killed your daddy. You probably wanted to get your older bro kicked out of the nation so you would be heir to the throne. Look what it says on the character page: "Forsburn began to smell corruption simmering beneath the surface of the Fire Council. But before Forsburn could expose the conspiracy, his father was discovered slain with Forsburn's own dagger protruding from his heart. Assumed to be the assassin, Forsburn was condemned by his brother and barely escaped the Capital with his life." Forsburn realized something was going on but wasn't sure what when Zetterburn then claimed that Forsburn killed his father with his dagger. Zetterburn probably stole Forsburn and killed the king when no one was looking. Then, being all "innocent", he "discovered" his dead father and blamed Forsburn for his actions. Zetterburn is the evil one.

EDIT: And yes, you and Forsburn do have some sick abs.

Last edited:

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
While I do believe Kragg is the worst character in the game right now, that doesn't mean he's not viable. I wouldn't compare his rocks to eggs though. They're more like turnips.

Also, Zetterburn is innocent. It states on his character page that he's actually being used by the council and isn't aware of it. It's the council that's doing everything; Zetterburn is just a soldier.

Last edited:

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to discuss a topic that has been discussed with little detail lately: Kragg.
Many people have said that Kragg is too slow, weak, or just stinks all around. While he may not be the speediest character, he's definitely viable.

First off, you have his side special. An alternate option for mobility that also hurts opponents. People say you can just parry it SO easily, but I like to hit 'em up in the air and then side b. You can only airdodge in the air, and the move has a long lasting hitbox. You can use DI to escape, but then Kragg can just cancel his side b and chase you. One more thing about his side b that is just plain amazing is the jump cancel. Many of you don't know this, but once you've hit an opponent with side b, you can jump right out of it. This makes for great combos:side b>jump>up air, side b>jump and upsmash at the same time(sliding up smash), at high percents (I'm talkin like 150%), you can side b on top of them>jump>dair!

Now let's talk recovery. I think his recovery it pretty great! Use up special>jump>side b to avoid getting trapped into combos. If they parry you, that means you're close enough to be on the stage anyway since they have to be onstage to parry. I'd say that's a successful recovery. You can also have an offstage pillar, hit someone so that they have to tech onto it, and then use up b and they fall to their doom (just like pacman in sm4sh). I think Kragg and Wrastor have the best recoveries in the game with them both being hard to punish.

Kragg's rock is a great combo extender, being most similar to yoshi's eggs. Sure they can parry or attack the rock, but YOU HAVE A PARRY TOO! If you get caught offstage while holding the rock, throw the stinking thing and use up b. Then you can pull out a brand new rock after getting rid of the old one. Point is: Kragg users shouldn't be dying because of the rock. If they do, it's their fault and they shouldn't go around saying the character stinks.

Anyway, I hope you guys can see my point of view and realize that every beautifully designed character in this game is great and powerful in their own way.
I basically agree with you in sentiment. Kragg is viable and pretty comparable to the rest of the cast. The jump cancel helped him alot more than I thought it would. The dash attack cancel will help even more I am sure. I think most people actually agree with you, its just many also feel Kragg is the weakest of the 6 characters (most of us have played with). I am not sure I agree with that, but I do worry about his continued viability at very high levels of play. He doesnt need any sweeping changes. I heard Dan fixed his down-b so its parriable and reflects (I know this is a nerf, I am just mentioning it here). I think thats good. Any more buffs should aim to be stuff that will help higher level players but not effect lower level ones much. At least in my opinion. (And yeah, rocks are def more like turnips.)

As for Zetterburn. Yeah I am pretty sure he is just the loyal soldier type. Who cares greatly for the physical education of young flamen (flame+men. Obviously what citizens of the fire lands are called.) Its probably the evil council who was behind the burning of the forest too. Those ******** (EDIT: censorship is harsher than I would have expected...)! I hope the council is the final boss. And its a sweet 1v3 all-star like battle against boss versions of all the 8 rivals. That would actually be really awesome! DAN!!! DAN!!!

Last edited:

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Hosting Richmond's 5th SSBM / Rivals of Aether tournament this weekend. I'm making a huge deal this time about having every RoA match recorded properly. We will be using the Smash Con build with the 7th character, Absa.

If conditions allow, we will stream it at http://twitch.tv/zetterburn with RoA starting at roughly 4pm EST (subject to change). If we are not able to stream, then we will definitely record as much footage as we can, and have it saved to my hard drives so that I can ensure it gets uploaded quickly.

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
Hosting Richmond's 5th SSBM / Rivals of Aether tournament this weekend. I'm making a huge deal this time about having every RoA match recorded properly. We will be using the Smash Con build with the 7th character, Absa.

If conditions allow, we will stream it at http://twitch.tv/zetterburn with RoA starting at roughly 4pm EST (subject to change). If we are not able to stream, then we will definitely record as much footage as we can, and have it saved to my hard drives so that I can ensure it gets uploaded quickly.
Start working on that Absa tech! I need more footage of her to watch to hold me over till I can get my hands on her!

Big Papi

Smash Cadet
NNID
BigPapi

Richmond VA?? How many people usually show up?

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
Richmond VA?? How many people usually show up?
I think Bones/Clay/Zetterburn means Richmond Kentucky? I am pretty sure he goes to school there or near there.... I think I recall.

EDIT: No wait... maybe Indiana. He definitely is from somewhere in that southern Midwest area.

Last edited:

Xanthus

Smash Apprentice
It's definitely Richmond KY, I'm the TO :D. Bones you wanna be the bracket runner for RoA this time? Can't wait for the tournament, I haven't had the ABSA build but hoping to still take 1st again :p

Last edited:

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
I think Bones/Clay/Zetterburn means Richmond Kentucky? I am pretty sure he goes to school there or near there.... I think I recall.

EDIT: No wait... maybe Indiana. He definitely is from somewhere in that southern Midwest area.
Don't try to say something if you don't know for sure what you're saying lmao. But yeah its KY. me and Xanthus are hosting it.

It's definitely Richmond KY, I'm the TO :D. Bones you wanna be the bracket runner for RoA this time? Can't wait for the tournament, I haven't had the ABSA build but hoping to still take 1st again :p
You said Cob was doing that though, right?

Last edited:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
So for controls. Do you guys think it's a good idea to use an Xbox controller so muscle memory doesn't get mixed up with other games like Melee per say?

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
So for controls. Do you guys think it's a good idea to use an Xbox controller so muscle memory doesn't get mixed up with other games like Melee per say?
I just prefer Xbox controllers for this, period. They're so much better.

theopenlink22

Smash Cadet
So I really think that there should be grabs in this game. The reason behind this is more depth to the game and more options of attack. If not a grab where you press:GCU::GCR::GCL::GCD:to throw. But a throw where as soon as you grab it automatically does a throw forward or something. Like Street Fighter! Make it hard to connect so that it is really only an option for getting people off stage or countering parries maybe. Tell me what you think.

Xbox controller is the optimal control in my opinion.

Last edited:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
So I really think that there should be grabs in this game. The reason behind this is more depth to the game and more options of attack. If not a grab where you press:GCU::GCR::GCL::GCD:to throw. But a throw where as soon as you grab it automatically does a throw forward or something. Like Street Fighter! Make it hard to connect so that it is really only an option for getting people off stage or countering parries maybe. Tell me what you think.

I think if grabbing were to be added I think it should be only be given to a fighter built around it. Like the character's Down-B can be a grab and they are given the same direction options like in Smash. I think giving every character a grab at this point would be a big overhaul to the game.

Death By Hugs

Smash Apprentice
While I do believe Kragg is the worst character in the game right now, that doesn't mean he's not viable. I wouldn't compare his rocks to eggs though. They're more like turnips.

Also, Zetterburn is innocent. It states on his character page that he's actually being used by the council and isn't aware of it. It's the council that's doing everything; Zetterburn is just a soldier.
The reason I compared them to eggs is because the angles he throws the rock at reminded me of yoshi's up special. I can also see why you think of them more as turnips.

Huh, I always thought it was Zetterburn. We'll, sorry to Bones for accusing his character.

Death By Hugs

Smash Apprentice
I basically agree with you in sentiment. Kragg is viable and pretty comparable to the rest of the cast. The jump cancel helped him alot more than I thought it would. The dash attack cancel will help even more I am sure. I think most people actually agree with you, its just many also feel Kragg is the weakest of the 6 characters (most of us have played with). I am not sure I agree with that, but I do worry about his continued viability at very high levels of play. He doesnt need any sweeping changes. I heard Dan fixed his down-b so its parriable and reflects (I know this is a nerf, I am just mentioning it here). I think thats good. Any more buffs should aim to be stuff that will help higher level players but not effect lower level ones much. At least in my opinion. (And yeah, rocks are def more like turnips.)

As for Zetterburn. Yeah I am pretty sure he is just the loyal soldier type. Who cares greatly for the physical education of young flamen (flame+men. Obviously what citizens of the fire lands are called.) Its probably the evil council who was behind the burning of the forest too. Those ******** (EDIT: censorship is harsher than I would have expected...)! I hope the council is the final boss. And its a sweet 1v3 all-star like battle against boss versions of all the 8 rivals. That would actually be really awesome! DAN!!! DAN!!!
Okay okay. I agree with the turnips now and I get that it wasn't Zetterburn, but I disagree about his viability in high level play. For one, his defensive tank attributes might make him amazing in doubles, but we'll have to wait and see when the early access comes out.

Everybody, like this post if you can't contain your hype for early access.

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv

There are no shields, so there's no reason for grabs to exist.

Steel Banana

Smash Cadet
If anyone is questioning Kragg's competitive viability, then they haven't played good enough Kraggs. #KraggOP :p

KrozoMagnus

Smash Rookie
Haven't been reading the thread in awhile. Still VERY excited for this game though. How is development going Dan? I myself am making a game in gamemaker and know it can be a pain at times.

Anyway, looking forward to the game. I also hear about this early access, are there any steps that need to be taken to get in on that?

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
If anyone is questioning Kragg's competitive viability, then they haven't played good enough Kraggs. #KraggOP :p
To be fair, I am a Kragg main, and I mostly destroy everyone I play with locally. The only local person to beat me solidly was also playing Kragg... So from personal experience Kragg is definitely great at my level of skill. Which I would say is somewhere in the lower edges of mid, or upper parts of... bad. I am not winning any PM tournaments, or even really placing well. What I worry about is in the top level play that we havent seen yet. (And I hope will exist) Once players better than an "okay" smash player start really mastering the game. It just seems like Kragg with his slower speed and difficulty dealing with people on their parry game might have a lot of trouble. I will be the first to admit though these are not particularly well founded fears, and are definitely just speculation. I could be wrong.

One thing I will add about good ol' Kragg is that his edge guard game is insanely strong. Its kind of crazy.

As for the grab discussion. It is definitely way too late in development to add grabs, and even adding one character with 4 grab directions would be really hard, because then you need 4 new animations for all the other characters in the game, thats like 32 new animations for one move on character 8. I dont disagree that it would be cool, I just dont think it would be practical.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
As for the grab discussion. It is definitely way too late in development to add grabs, and even adding one character with 4 grab directions would be really hard, because then you need 4 new animations for all the other characters in the game, thats like 32 new animations for one move on character 8. I dont disagree that it would be cool, I just dont think it would be practical.
Well you could just do basic a basic knockback animation. If there was a character that could grab I could see them being more psychic in their design. So you just make the character float in front of them then and the throws are just simple directions with no really flash animation.

HermitHelmet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hermit_Helmet1
Hey guys, it's been a while and I haven't had enough time to play the newest build.

We have a Smash 4 Event in the north of the UK (Smash4Glory 3) and it would be awesome if I could bring an updated build of Rivals of Aether. The tournament is exactly a month from now (26th September) and as a current playtester, it would be great if I could be notified if there's going to be a new build out sometime then so I prepare. I'd also like to know if Gamecube support is coming back in the next build, if there's going to be a new update at all before then, etc.

I'll be sure to give feedback too :D

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, it's been a while and I haven't had enough time to play the newest build.

We have a Smash 4 Event in the north of the UK (Smash4Glory 3) and it would be awesome if I could bring an updated build of Rivals of Aether. The tournament is exactly a month from now (26th September) and as a current playtester, it would be great if I could be notified if there's going to be a new build out sometime then so I prepare. I'd also like to know if Gamecube support is coming back in the next build, if there's going to be a new update at all before then, etc.

I'll be sure to give feedback too :D
Well by Sep 26th the early access should (hopefully!) be out. It is coming out in September sometime. We used to say late aug early sep... then we started saying early September... so... probably before the 26th. So thats probably the 'updated build' you would want to look into. As for the build with Absa.. It has only been shared very limitedly, so I dont think the chances of getting that build is high... sadly.

Top Bottom