• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rivals Of Aether Coming To Steam Early Access September 22nd

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Wanting to get those hands on the new indie game Rivals of Aether but haven't been able to? Count those lucky stars becauce Rivals of Aether is coming to Steam Early Access! The game is set to be available on September 22nd. More information can be found on the game's steam store. Want to see what Rivals of Aether has to offer? Check out this special announcement trailer!

To learn more about the game be sure to check out its official Smashboards thread or visit the Rivals of Aether website. Be sure to stay tuned to Smashboards for any other new on this promising indie game!

SmashCapps was incredibly excited to see the trailer and can't wait to get his hands on all of the characters. To share in the anticipation for the game follow him on Twitter.

Last edited:

WwwWario

Smash Ace
Kudos to the developers of this. Everything from the sound effects to the character design to the creative moves to the gameplay all look amazing!

yackamajez

Smash Rookie
NNID
yackamajez
cant wait until this game comes out! Ive been with it ever since relax alax made a video about it

SDFox

Smash Apprentice
Need moar smash in my lief,
NEED MOAR SMASH!

PokÉmblem

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wolfvdc
3DS FC
4553-9960-0926
Hopefully they make a mobile version. It would be so damn cool playing this in class!!!

Last edited:

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
will like an Inkling in smash using the move from orcane!
SPLASH and teleport in the splash when you want.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I feel like I should prepare myself for this game, since it's probably going to be great.

Keefer

Smash Cadet
Better get my settings right ahead of time so my gamecube controller works properly with this!

Streetwize

Smash Apprentice
Oh god, people already are comparing Orcane to the Inkling. Orcane's design comes from Vaporeon in his previous fangame Super Smash Land back in 2011. It's only coincidental.
Also, first tester to comment here it seems.

Hopefully Jim Sterling covers this, so we can finally see a GOOD Early Access game on his channel.

I know he's gonna put something about smash bros in the title or his usual quote that makes the title.

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Just wish they had tried a little harder to make the animations more unique. Off the top of my head Birdman has Falco's melee nair and bair as well as this brawl rapid jab, Sword+Skullman is essentially Marth in the air, Beetleman copies a few of DKs moves, Deerlady is essentially Zelda but most egregious is Lionman and the fact that he's almost ripped move-from-move from Wolf.

Also idk why they decided to add the % symbol to the end of the damage counters. The % means nothing in smash as it is and only obfuscates what the numbers mean to new players. Keeping it serves no purpose than to literally be like smash (also lol wavedashing).

Game seems fluid enough though. It looks like it's relatively well built and I'm sure I'll play it; it's just kind of embarrassing how much they felt they needed to carbon copy.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
will like an Inkling in smash using the move from orcane!
SPLASH and teleport in the splash when you want.
Yeah.... no.

That's not at all how ink works in Splatoon. You swim through it, you don't just teleport to it.

----------

This game looks really cool! Nice to see Smash inspiring other fighting games. :)

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
Just wish they had tried a little harder to make the animations more unique. Off the top of my head Birdman has Falco's melee nair and bair as well as this brawl rapid jab, Sword+Skullman is essentially Marth in the air, Beetleman copies a few of DKs moves, Deerlady is essentially Zelda but most egregious is Lionman and the fact that he's almost ripped move-from-move from Wolf.

Also idk why they decided to add the % symbol to the end of the damage counters. The % means nothing in smash as it is and only obfuscates what the numbers mean to new players. Keeping it serves no purpose than to literally be like smash (also lol wavedashing).

Game seems fluid enough though. It looks like it's relatively well built and I'm sure I'll play it; it's just kind of embarrassing how much they felt they needed to carbon copy.
Some moves were purposefully copied from smash to give a sense of familiarity and comparability to newcomers of RoA, but veterans of Smash.

Calling "Sword+Skullman" Marth, however, is very incorrect. The only similar aerial is his nair. Dair looks the same, but it spikes from behind instead of in front. Bair, Uair, and Fair are just entirely different moves.

The only DK move "Beetleman" copies is the down-smash. Everything else is different, though he has some similarities to pre-Smash 4 Bowser.

"Deerlady" is supposed to be Zelda, yeah(though she's a goat, not a deer). She also has some Pikachu and Mewtwo as well.

"Lionman" is supposed to be Wolf. Wolf was the creator's main, and he wanted a basic character that he felt at home with.

Last edited:

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Feel free to d

Some moves were purposefully copied from smash to give a sense of familiarity and comparability to newcomers of RoA, but veterans of Smash.

Calling "Sword+Skullman" Marth, however, is very incorrect. The only similar aerial is his nair. Dair looks the same, but it spikes from behind instead of in front. Bair, Uair, and Fair are just entirely different moves.

The only DK move "Beetleman" copies is the down-smash. Everything else is different, though he has some similarities to pre-Smash 4 Bowser.

"Deerlady" is supposed to be Zelda, yeah(though she's a goat, not a deer). She also has some Pikachu and Mewtwo as well.

"Lionman" is supposed to be Wolf. Wolf was the creator's main, and he wanted a basic character that he felt at home with.
That's a pretty lousy justification. The way you word it makes it seem like the creators didn't think the game could stand on its own merit.

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
Yeah.... no.

That's not at all how ink works in Splatoon. You swim through it, you don't just teleport to it.

----------

This game looks really cool! Nice to see Smash inspiring other fighting games. :)
yes but it can be hard to paint the surface of a stage in smash bros
you can hide and swim in your paint

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
yes but it can be hard to paint the surface of a stage in smash bros
I can't imagine it being that tricky. If Splatoon can do it -- with rather complex aesthetic geometry, may I add -- then Smash can too. And if not, I'd much rather have them wait on the Inkling until they can pull it off properly. Better to wait and get a fleshed-out character than to get a rushed and inferior version of them sooner.
you can hide and swim in your paint
Yes, that's what I meant. :p

Nanlo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Yoshi4Lyfe
Cant wait for this! Seems like a ton of fun!

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
That's a pretty lousy justification. The way you word it makes it seem like the creators didn't think the game could stand on its own merit.
Can you really expect someone to have utmost complete confidence in their very first commercial game? Regardless, as I said, the creators wanted a sense of familiarity. They wanted their ideal Smash. And this is that.

Troubled Fish

Smash Rookie
NNID
Deeboonie
3DS FC
3136-6693-6395
I've been hyped for this since first announced, so I'm super glad to get my hands on it soon.

Ageha Mist

Smash Rookie

Youre observing only at a surface level. Literally every fighting game series does this to some extent. Even within smashbros, there are newer characters that have moves with similar animations to the older characters. If you play melee, you know that even though fox and falco look the same, they are completely different characters.

People want familiarity. Someone is more inclined to play a game because there are concepts they can latch onto. The game wouldnt be as appealing otherwise. Imagine if every fighting game after street fighter didnt have the health bar system because they felt it was copying. The developers of rivals of aether knew what they were doing. It isnt embarrassing, its smart game design.

jaffex

Smash Rookie
Soooo hype for this game! I am wondering though, will the smash community adopt it like we did with PM and consider it a smash game? We will be able to select our RoA main on our smashboards profiles?

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Youre observing only at a surface level. Literally every fighting game series does this to some extent. Even within smashbros, there are newer characters that have moves with similar animations to the older characters. If you play melee, you know that even though fox and falco look the same, they are completely different characters.

People want familiarity. Someone is more inclined to play a game because there are concepts they can latch onto. The game wouldnt be as appealing otherwise. Imagine if every fighting game after street fighter didnt have the health bar system because they felt it was copying. The developers of rivals of aether knew what they were doing. It isnt embarrassing, its smart game design.
Yes, but it's someone else's game design. Paying homage and copying aren't the same thing.

Y'all don't have to freak out because I wish the game would stand on its own. It seems like a lot of fun but certain things are just irksome. I'm sure they won't bother me as much once I actually invest some time into it.

NNID
MasterIcarus7

The point was to make a smash game, and they did. But there are differences, like no grabs, no shields (but there are parries), and no ledges.

Streetwize

Smash Apprentice

"I don't mean to sound cynical, but..."

This is all I'm hearing from this guy. Carbon copy is WAY too strong of a word for what RoA has in common with Smash. The reason you're getting so much flack is because you looking at things the wrong way. Do you really expect a game made by a fellow Smasher to NOT have ANYTHING related to Smash? This isn't Cartoon Network Punch Time or Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale.

Last edited:

Maaagnus

Smash Rookie
Super excited to play this! Looks like it'll be super fun with interesting characters.

Top Bottom