• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ridley for SSBB

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathblazer

Smash Apprentice
Pete278 said:
For those who say he's too big and can't really be scaled down, go look at the SSBM intro. You may be surprised.
Yeah it shows Samus fighting a not-so-big Ridley.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
=TF=Omega said:
Perhaps as a boss, but otherwise, I really don't think it would work. :dizzy: .

1. He's too big. (Scaled down would be akward.)
2. He won't fit in with the other characters. (This is a fighting game, so I'm afraid dragons won't work too well.)
there is no such thing as too big or too small for SSB and people said that samus and Link wouldn't fit in but well...

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
=TF=Omega said:
2. He won't fit in with the other characters. (This is a fighting game, so I'm afraid dragons won't work too well.)
1. Play Super Mario 64, and see Bowser at the end. Now see Bowser in SSBM. Then look at Kirby and read his bio, and lol at his 8 inch tallness. Then play Metroid 1 and Super Metroid. He is the perfect size in relation to Samus in those games.
2. And balls of Fluff known for eating things would work? He's not LITERALLY a dragon. He's not magic or anything. He is an alien that is distinctly dragon-like. If you're worried about him being overpowered, don't be, because Mewtwo, the most powerful psychic in existance, is low tier in SSBM.

X_Arre

Smash Cadet
Ridley would own, (or not, who knows :()
oh no. I smell a.... MOVESET!

*Ridley
-Moderately heavy
-Scaled down to Bowser size.
-A-attacks including (but not limited to) tail swipes/stabs, bites, claw slashes and wing strikes.
-Has two midjumps
-Falls fairly quickly.
-Neutral B: Fire blast: Like someone mentioned before, Ridley would spit multiple fireballs, with progressing range. The number of fireballs depends how many times you press it in succession (up to 4). When firing, you can change the direction of the blast, ala Yoshi. When held, the blast will charge in his mouth. Maximum charge is five seconds. When the charge is released, Ridley will let out a screech and the blast will discharge. The blast would be a mix of Roy's fully charged B, Bowser's B, and Mario's Fsmash. It would start as an explosion, and send opponents flying, and finish as a steady flame Like Ness's PK fire, only bigger.
-Forward B: Lunge: On the ground, Ridley will lunge forward and grab the enemy next to him. If out of range, it will be a slashing attack, ala Bowser. Once in Ridley's grip, the enemy will be exposed to biting (with A), or torching (with B). When performed in the air, Ridley will fly forward a little farther than Fox's illusion, swooping down a little and coming back up. This is used as an alternate recovery, like Illusion. If an opponent is grabbed by this, Ridley will comeplete the move, enemy in his claws. When you are still in the air with the opponent, you can tailstab him (>B/<B), stomp him to the ground (vB), throw him back up (^B), or torch him (B). If the enemy is thrown back up, you will not be stunned and will be able to do more aerial attacks. When you land with the opponent, the earlier controls apply.
-Down B: Protect? (not sure what to call it): Ridley will wrap his wings around him, absorbing all attacks for a second (like Meta Knight, w/o invisibility). If attacks are absorbed, he will abruptly open his wings and screech, hitting enemies from all directions. This will work like Marth/Roy's Down B, except hitting enemies anywhere, not just in front of him. If nothing hits Ridley, he will calmly open his wings.
-Up B: Sky Missile: Ridley will strongly flap his wings once, blowing opponents downward (useful for edgeguarding)and swoop upward with his fings now folded. At the top of the flight, he will open up, hitting those in front of him with a slash. When performed on the ground, He will screech and flap is wings, blowing everyone away from him and creating some distance. If the enemy is airbourne, it will turn them around like Mario's cape.
-Throw: He will grab the opponent. Hitting them will make Ridley claw at them, throwing them forward or back will make Ridley fling him/her away and shoot a follow up missile. Throwing them up will just, well... throw them upward. Throwing down will make Ridley stomp on them, and slash them away.
-Taunt: Ridley will throw his arms back, flap his wings, and screech.
-When kirby sucks him up, he will get wings and a tail.

BTW, whoever said Ridley could be a clone of Bowser is just ignorant (thinking, oh bowser and ridley are both monsters, they would have the same moves) Bowser and Ridley are SO different. C falcon and Gannon was a mistake, but they're both HUMAN!

X_Arre

Smash Cadet
nice observation. I didn't see it at first (I was looking ON the visor lol)

Mr.Starone

Smash Cadet
=TF=Omega said:
Perhaps as a boss, but otherwise, I really don't think it would work. :dizzy: .

1. Bowser is big, he was scaled down.

2. And turtle dragons and green dinosaurs are any better?

D

Deleted member

Flame me as much as you like, but Bowser's sizes doesn't matter to his character.

Ridley's newer incarnations dwarf Samus, not to mention being able to pick her up and throw fireballs in her face (MP3, people). Seriously, I don't think Nintendo would want to make him seem any smaller for SSBB, when one of their developers is already remaking him as a giant.

And before you explain about his size in the original Metroid, there is that small remake thing called Zero Mission...check his size in that :)

I certainly AGREE he should be a boss though.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
WindGuru said:
Flame me as much as you like, but Bowser's sizes doesn't matter to his character.

Ridley's newer incarnations dwarf Samus, not to mention being able to pick her up and throw fireballs in her face (MP3, people). Seriously, I don't think Nintendo would want to make him seem any smaller for SSBB, when one of their developers is already remaking him as a giant.

And before you explain about his size in the original Metroid, there is that small remake thing called Zero Mission...check his size in that :)

I certainly AGREE he should be a boss though.
Like Bowser, however, his size has been known to fluctuate quite a bit.
I mean in the original game, he was about the same size as Samus (of course back then he didn't fly either). Also, from the footage in MP3 he's about TWICE as big as he was in Metroid Prime... infact, I think that's the biggest he's ever been...
But that was still nothing compared to Bowser in Sunshine... wasn't he like 5 stories tall or something in that game?
My point is that size shouldn't be an issue with Ridley, especially for those of you who at the same time want Olimar in the game (that guy's microscopic...)

EDIT: Also, awesome ideas for movesets so far! Keep em comin...

Ixplis

Smash Rookie
Charizard = Ridley clone? I would like the idea of a flying character that isn't Jiggly or Kirby or some other anthropomorphic puffball (I mean you Metaknight). Furthermore, SSBM characters weren't always just copies from older games, but sometimes they were a combination of all the prior incarnations of that character, i.e. Peach. So they could take the Ridley from old games where he was about Samus' height, and combine him with some abilities of the newer version(s).

dk is the monkey

Smash Cadet
well ridley can be a normal caracter but can also be a boss( a huge ridley boss)

think of giga bowser woudnt that be cool

and one more mini event
giga bowser vs giga ridley

woundnt that be even cooler

FoxDash

Smash Cadet
Clones only happen when two charecters have simaliar body structures. Ridley is a shape all his own, plus hes FUKKIN BADASSS! yea put him in there and i shall pitch myself a tent.

JmcShocker16

Smash Apprentice
FoxDash said:
Clones only happen when two charecters have simaliar body structures. Ridley is a shape all his own, plus hes FUKKIN BADASSS! yea put him in there and i shall pitch myself a tent.

thanksssssss for saying that. alot of people dont get that.

Meta Alex

Smash Cadet
... because this is something I've been thinking of ever since I saw the intro to Super Smash Brothers: Melee.

First thing out of the way: I am a complete nut for physically draconic characters. This is due to my early chilhood where things that scared the living crap out of me yet managed to hold my attention for so long were godly. Now onto gameplay mechanics.

There are two version of gameplay Ridley could use, one using a Zelda-like transformation, the second being a standard character.

TRANSFORMATION RIDLEY: TO FLY OR NOT?

This incarnation of Ridley would be difficult to play, as it relies on effectively switching between two characters for different situations rather than sticking with one that you like better.
The default Ridley would be the walker Ridley. His jump would be high, but very, very fast and his ability to move horizontally quickly would be on par with Fox's Foward+B move.

Walker Ridley

B: Flaming Breath Sweep,
Ridley fires a constant stream of fire for 3 seconds that has the ability to push enemies back quite well but it poor at finishing them. The direction could be controlled by the player during the attack.

Foward+B: Charge Attack,
Ridley opens his mouth and jumps forward, almost completely horizontally, dealing a good amount of damage with good finishing and knockback potential.

Up+B: Fly,
Switches Ridley into his second form, see below.

Down+B: Ground Smash,
Ridley jumps into the air and hits the ground with a large shockwave, doing minimal damage but with very good knockback results. If you're a fan of the older Metroids, you can imagine his doing his pogo-tail attack.

Ridley would be a bit like DK in his basic stats: fairly quick and powerful, but with pickup time after his attacks, making him vulnerable to counter-attacks (does this sound like a boss battle yet?). In addition to this, he wouild be hard to knock off the stage at anything less than 120%, due to his wieght, even with a well-charged smash attack.

Flyer Ridley

B: Flaming Breath Sweep.
See above.

Forward+B: Swoop.
As you charge it, you can aim Ridley who swoops down and back up, dealing good amounts of damage and knockback, doing a 90 degree turn in all.

Up+B: Propell,
Ridley faces the ground at a 45 degree angle and shoots jets of flame out of his mouth, pushing himself upwards and doing damage to anyone below.

Down+ B: Revert,
Goes back to walker Ridley.

Generally, this form of Ridley would have free, gravity-free movement. The cost, however, would be the lack of any stringable moves and the ability to be knocked off far easier than anyone else, at about 50%. He would have to rely on mundane swoop attacks for damage, and this form would be more for attacking enemies without rqanged attacks, although those ones could very easily damage and kill him with their powerful melee.

I'll do the "normal" Ridley later, when I have time. Ideas? Comments? Suggestions? As long as it's constructive, I'm all ears.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
frogfusious said:
I just don't see Ridley working well in Smash...
Are you kidding? It would be awesome to play as that! He's monstrous, recognisable, has defined moves from games, and gives Samus someone from her own game to face off against other than herself without clothes on.

Also, I love the Walk/Fly mode ideas. Though the "Fly" mode doesn't sound very "useful" as it stands. Maybe make his Air moves really good, and in "Fly" mode you get an unlimited amount of them, but as you say, he gets knocked away really quickly and if he finds his way back to the ledge and touches the ground, he reverts back to walk mode. Unwieldy? Maybe. Interesting? Yes.

Top Prospect

Smash Apprentice
Based in Chicago; straight outta the Twinkie Barge
Xianfeng

It'd be awkward, but I could see it possible for him to play in there if they scale him down. If not as a character, then as a boss. And if THAT'S the case, he should be Meta-Ridley from Metroid Prime. Why not? There was a Giga Bowser. They could just set special parameters to fight him in 1-player.

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
He's just so freaky awesome and I hate it that there is only 1 Metroid character available(although Samus alone rocks too). But I would REALLY like to see him in it. I just love the way he looks like: A huge dragon, but yet very aerobic as we see in the intro of SSBM. Of course he needs to be fixed a lot but people that think that he will be a Bowser clone are dammed wrong. Ever seen Ridley using something like Bowser Bomb? Or Koopa Claw? No. And is Bowser able to fly? No. And who is? Ridley!

kmkzSP1K3R

Smash Apprentice
Milpitas (nor-cal) &amp; Riverside (so-cal)
i could actually see Ridley using something like the "Bowser Claw" but not a bowser bomb. i know he's be a very heavyweight flyer(which is so unusually but there's always a first for everything) i think it's be pretty cool! you KNOW he's be using his tail alot tho. and if it's meta ridley from metroid prime, he's have missile launchers, an oral laser, and a thrust/dash/footballer kinda move! hey that'd be pretty awesome!!!

X_Arre

Smash Cadet
yes, I agree. If Ridley is in the game, Meta-Ridley should be a boss (like Giga-Bowser)

I don't really take to the Walker/Flyer idea. I think they should incorperate his abilities into one form. The move with the diagonal fire blast sounds like it could be a super move (He flies up and delivers a gigantic blast from above, (like True Ogre in Tekken 3))

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
How about normally selectable Ridley is "Normal Ridley" that is a managable size, and Meta-Ridley is the "Giga-Bowser" style boss-character, and he'll be the size that you seem to think Ridley just HAS to adhere to.

X_Arre

Smash Cadet
that's what I'm sayin'. Meta ridley is the Giga-bowser type character, not playable (unless you have AR, lol)

Mr.Starone

Smash Cadet
Top Prospect said:
It'd be awkward, but I could see it possible for him to play in there if they scale him down. If not as a character, then as a boss. And if THAT'S the case, he should be Meta-Ridley from Metroid Prime. Why not? There was a Giga Bowser. They could just set special parameters to fight him in 1-player.
When people don't mention his size they say he'd be awkward. Why would he be awkward?

kmkzSP1K3R

Smash Apprentice
Milpitas (nor-cal) &amp; Riverside (so-cal)
well he could be the size that we saw him in the Smash Melee Game Introduction(when he grabs the little metroid and samus fires, dodges and delivers a missile...you guys know what part of the intro im talking about right?) well in that melee intro he's not so much bigger than samus. if he were in Brawl i think he should be around that size(he'd prolly be as big as DK then, wings included)

magnebula

Smash Journeyman
Im gonna say what I said in another thread, I dont see Ridley as a playable character....

I think Adventure mode should work like this... You pick a character, for this case Ill say Samus... You go through the levels and stages, and you reach the end. No Bowser, no Gigabowser.... Ridley. You would fight him as a final boss. With Mario, he would face Gigabowser. Geno (he'd better be added to the game) would fight Smithy. Luigi, King Boo. And it goes on. I just dont think he would make a good playable character.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
I don't think having so many character specific boss fights work, I'd rather the energy be spent on Characters, Stages, etc. 1-Player mode's not what keeps you coming back anyway...

And I DO see Ridley as a playable character. How's a bi-pedal dragon not a feasable character...
Besides, he'd almost as much a staple to the series as Samus herself.

Oro

BRoomer
BRoomer
magnebula said:
Im gonna say what I said in another thread, I dont see Ridley as a playable character....

I think Adventure mode should work like this... You pick a character, for this case Ill say Samus... You go through the levels and stages, and you reach the end. No Bowser, no Gigabowser.... Ridley. You would fight him as a final boss. With Mario, he would face Gigabowser. Geno (he'd better be added to the game) would fight Smithy. Luigi, King Boo. And it goes on. I just dont think he would make a good playable character.
That sounds awful. The point of Smash is having crossover matchups and stuff, not just so that each character can fight their main nemesis again.

frogfusious

Smash Cadet
I don't see Ridley being in the new smash. That being said, it would be awesome to do a giant melee on Fourside with Ridley and one of the other large characters.

X_Arre

Smash Cadet
people just keep repeating themselves. Can any of you tell us WHY you can't see Ridley in the new smash?

no. 1 smash daddy

Smash Ace
well ridley should be like giga bowser in certain ways, no, he should be like master hand and crazy hand, where only you can just fight against him in calssic mode or something

dk is the monkey

Smash Cadet
no. 1 smash daddy said:
well ridley should be like giga bowser in certain ways, no, he should be like master hand and crazy hand, where only you can just fight against him in calssic mode or something
i dont understand people dont see ridley in the game and dont want snake but they want master chief dont you realize that nintendo will never put violent caracters like master chief in there

Mr.Starone

Smash Cadet
dk is the monkey said:
i dont understand people dont see ridley in the game and dont want snake but they want master chief dont you realize that nintendo will never put violent caracters like master chief in there
I'd say it's more hypocritical to want Olimar but rule out Ridley since he's "too big" or "awkward".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom