• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
yeah the rare blades, theres not much to the common ones
I know that one. Unlike common ones, they have unique designs and have their own personal stories. Even I wouldn’t mind them staring in their own personal game. Especially Wulfric, Korra, Sheba, Adenine, Roc, and the others.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
You know who'd be a great Shulk echo?
Malos
To be honest, I'm not sure if it's really all that simple. It has nothing to do with spoilers. Malos is flaunting his sword and core crystal on the Torna DLC trailers. All the Echo Fighters we have share a similar height and build. What about Malos and Shulk?
DmDjgSxU0AE4Zaw.jpg

Is Malos gonna shrink in height, or is Shulk gonna grow a couple inches taller? Malos would still be neat addition, but he can't be a simple 1:1 copy of Shulk. He certainly won't be similar to what Chrom got with a move seemingly taken from Ike. More work would have to be made to make Malos work as Shulk's Echo. Why do that when you're better off making Malos a unique character?

Or just make him a boss character. Imagine Malos using Monado Jail to seal special attacks.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
"Malos is too big!" *laughing Ridley*
Height inaccuracies are really the least of an Echo Fighter's worries. If Chrom can be reduced to Roy size then Malos can stand head to head with Shulk. The size inaccuracy can be made up for by showing Malos's personality through new animations. He has no more chance of getting in as a unique character than Dark Samus, so why sweat the details?

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
"Malos is too big!" *laughing Ridley*
Height inaccuracies are really the least of an Echo Fighter's worries. If Chrom can be reduced to Roy size then Malos can stand head to head with Shulk. The size inaccuracy can be made up for by showing Malos's personality through new animations. He has no more chance of getting in as a unique character than Dark Samus, so why sweat the details?
Inb4 Malos should be a Ganondorf echo. :troll:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
So I’ve been doing palette swaps for conformed and potential newcomers which includes characters such as Simon, Daisy, Geno, and Elma. Here’s an eight color swap for Rex and Pyra. I’m sorry if the ending part looks sloppy but this took forever to accomplish.

0CCFCA97-007D-48A2-B134-A133724969B9.png

Blue is default
Red is Morag and Brighid
Green is Vandham and Roc
Yellow is Nia and Dromarch
Orange is Tora and Poppi a
Purple is Zeke and Pandora
Dark Blue is Arkos and Obrona
Black is Malos and Sever

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
So I’ve been doing palette swaps for conformed and potential newcomers which includes characters such as Simon, Daisy, Geno, and Elma. Here’s an eight color swap for Rex and Pyra. I’m sorry if the ending part looks sloppy but this took forever to accomplish.

View attachment 161865

Blue is default
Red is Morag and Brighid
Green is Vandham and Roc
Black is Malos and Sever
Not bad, these are all well thought out colors for them.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Howdy. Count me as a supporter. I don't necessarily see Rex/Pyra getting into Ultimate's base roster, but if they do, I'd be stoked! If DLC happens (and - let's be real - Ultimate's going to get DLC), then I'll be supporting Rex.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

View attachment 161865

Blue is default
Red is Morag and Brighid
Green is Vandham and Roc
Black is Malos and Sever
those looks awesome

im hoping wed get some of the in game swaps like mythra coloured pyra

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice

View attachment 161865

Blue is default
Red is Morag and Brighid
Green is Vandham and Roc
Black is Malos and Sever
I’d personally change the last two. Make one Rex having Adam’s Colors and Pyra having Myhtra’s colors (if Mythra is also on have her have Pyra’s colors). Last one could be Rex as Amalthus and Pyra as Malos (totally not because I want to see evil Pyra I swear). Alternatively the last one could be the swimsuit costumes.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I didn’t want to create entirely new outfits or dig up images of them hence why I didn’t do that. Also, I figured Mythra would be better suited to be thier Final Smash. Lastly, I wanted the colors to reflect the relationship between Driver and Blade and wanted both to be connected somehow. Hence why I chose Arkos and Malos.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700

View attachment 161865

Blue is default
Red is Morag and Brighid
Green is Vandham and Roc
Black is Malos and Sever
And they gotta add swimsuit costume too lol.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.

View attachment 161865

Blue is default
Red is Morag and Brighid
Green is Vandham and Roc
Black is Malos and Sever
These are pretty awesome. I'm adding these to the OP, once I get to editing it.

Anyway, I'm almost done writing mine Rex moveset; I just have to make the GIFs--which would have been easier, if Xenoblade 2 enabled video capture. This is by far the most complicated moveset I've written. Hopefully I can get it done before the next Direct. If Rex turns out to be in the game, then I'd hate for him to get revealed before mine moveset is finished.

PlasmaSnow12

Smash Cadet
I feel like Rex would be ideal for DLC, and that Elma might be more likely for the base game. I'd be stoked to have either one, I think they have a lot of unique moveset potential.

My own ideas are revolving around Rex swapping between Pyra and Mythra, who hang out in the background most of the time.
They'd give him some unique attacks, presumably specials, but most of his other attacks would just have their properties adjusted.
I'm sure there could be deeper mechanics, like cancelling his neutral attacks into specials to get some buff or maybe build up meter to improve his specials, or somesuch.
Now I feel like that is a fairly realistic idea of what Rex would be like in Smash, but I honestly really want one more blade to help Rex out.
Roc.
I'd absolutely love it if Rex could swap to Roc as well to get a completely different moveset, especially with the double Scythes being very unique.
I also absolutely doubt that would ever happen, but I still like hoping it could happen, haha.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
I feel like Rex would be ideal for DLC, and that Elma might be more likely for the base game. I'd be stoked to have either one, I think they have a lot of unique moveset potential.

My own ideas are revolving around Rex swapping between Pyra and Mythra, who hang out in the background most of the time.
They'd give him some unique attacks, presumably specials, but most of his other attacks would just have their properties adjusted.
I'm sure there could be deeper mechanics, like cancelling his neutral attacks into specials to get some buff or maybe build up meter to improve his specials, or somesuch.
Now I feel like that is a fairly realistic idea of what Rex would be like in Smash, but I honestly really want one more blade to help Rex out.
Roc.
I'd absolutely love it if Rex could swap to Roc as well to get a completely different moveset, especially with the double Scythes being very unique.
I also absolutely doubt that would ever happen, but I still like hoping it could happen, haha.
That's pretty much what I'd envision Rex to be like too (the two Blade version)- Pyra could make Rex stronger and slower, while Mythra could make him faster and weaker. Instead of Shulk's Monado modes tweaking specific things and being temporary, Rex would have two modes to switch between with no (or minimal) cooldowns. Then, tweak his animations a little bit- if smash attacks/aerials have fire effects with Pyra, make them light effects with Mythra. Then his specials could either be his Driver Arts or variations of Pyra/Mythra's Blade Arts (such as the generic fireball that is shot in cutscenes that could be a ball of light when Mythra is out).

Alternatively, each stock could start off with Pyra until Rex takes a certain amount of damage, which triggers a switch to Mythra, kinda like how it works in certain cutscenes or even in gameplay (sometimes Mythra will not let you change back to Pyra if you aren't playing well and it's both annoying and hilarious).

I like the idea of a third Blade for gameplay references, but technically there should be two more since Pyra and Mythra take up one slot...

PlasmaSnow12

Smash Cadet
I like the idea of a third Blade for gameplay references, but technically there should be two more since Pyra and Mythra take up one slot...
I would think just for fun Wulfric as the third blade
or perhaps
Nia, though I feel like that'd have some problems with spoilers or even just the mechanics of the blade in question being pretty broken in a smash context, what with the emphasis on healing and all. And also being a third sword for Rex to use.
Also, I feel like swapping to Pneuma for his final smash would be absolutely perfect, especially if Rex dons his new armor for it too.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Well... sure this will be easy as a Pokemon Trainer situation but I digress, I think Rex and Pyra (Or other Blades) will be like Ice Climbers but Pyra (Or other Blades) is mostly invincible and only able to attack when Rex does Blade combo moves just like in the game. Sure this will make them a bit OP so I guess this can make Pyra (Or other Blades) vulnerable when doing those Blade combo moves.

Also I don't think it will be just Pyra and Mythra, Rex can probably have other two Blades, Roc and hopefully KOS MOS or other rare Blades that Sakurai chooses.
I would think just for fun Wulfric as the third blade
or perhaps
Nia, though I feel like that'd have some problems with spoilers or even just the mechanics of the blade in question being pretty broken in a smash context, what with the emphasis on healing and all. And also being a third sword for Rex to use.
Also, I feel like swapping to Pneuma for his final smash would be absolutely perfect, especially if Rex dons his new armor for it too.
Yeah.. but then again, that would be a spoiler... but still perfect nonetheless.

Or they could just go with Shulk and do chain attack by Rex calling Zeke, Tora, or Nia beating your opponent up.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Okay, question for you guys:
Let's say, hypothetically, that we get Blade Combos in Smash Bros for Rex and Pyra/Mythra. How would Seal Self-Destruct (Attained from Mega Explosion with Pyra) and Seal Affinity Down (Attained from Nuclear Blast and Supernova with Pyra and Mythra for the former and just Mythra for the latter) be translated into Smash Bros?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Let's say, hypothetically, that we get Blade Combos in Smash Bros for Rex and Pyra/Mythra. How would Seal Self-Destruct (Attained from Mega Explosion with Pyra) and Seal Affinity Down (Attained from Nuclear Blast and Supernova with Pyra and Mythra for the former and just Mythra for the latter) be translated into Smash Bros?
I... really don't think Blade combos will be implemented at all. Those and Driver combos are 1. largely reliant on teamwork to pull off, and 2. involve focusing entirely on a single target, which would be counterintuitive in a free-for-all setting.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I... really don't think Blade combos will be implemented at all. Those and Driver combos are 1. largely reliant on teamwork to pull off, and 2. involve focusing entirely on a single target, which would be counterintuitive in a free-for-all setting.
Agreed. Blade Combos would be far too complicated to be involved in a game like Smash at all.

Even simplifying it for it to work would defeat the purpose.

Last edited:

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
All of Rex's moves while using the Aegis could be easily translated to Smash. Mythra/Siren could be the final smash,
I personally think that their final smash would be...
Pneuma summoning Siren, just like her Lv. 4 Special

I don't think we would get blade combos. I can see Rex being able to build up a special from Lv 1-4, and I can even see an affinity system.
I think blade combos would be too difficult to implement anyway, given that you would have to track each stage of the combo per fighter, and you would only have access to Seal SD and Seal AD, which seems like a bit of a waste...... not that I mean to shoot down your idea or anything, I think there are tons of aspects that Smash could represent in Rex/Pyra's play style

Last edited:

Yusa

Smash Cadet
I'd like to join, chaps.

XC2 is currently sharing the top spot of my favourite RPG with Persona 5. I'd love for both Rex and Joker to get in along with two beautiful stages and a slew of extremely amazing music, but Rex is the only one i see having a real shot.

I'd be very content with Rex's moveset if it borrows one or two main aspects of XC2 that aren't in XC1, and i fully trust Sakurai to give us a faithful rep. I do lean to it happening as DLC due to the admittedly bad timing of XC2, but that's fine by me as long as it happens. We've got Torna to build some new hype around him and keep us busy.

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
I'd like to join, chaps.

XC2 is currently sharing the top spot of my favourite RPG with Persona 5. I'd love for both Rex and Joker to get in along with two beautiful stages and a slew of extremely amazing music, but Rex is the only one i see having a real shot.

I'd be very content with Rex's moveset if it borrows one or two main aspects of XC2 that aren't in XC1, and i fully trust Sakurai to give us a faithful rep. I do lean to it happening as DLC due to the admittedly bad timing of XC2, but that's fine by me as long as it happens. We've got Torna to build some new hype around him and keep us busy.
One thing that Rex has going for him is that Sakurai has written nothing but praise in his columns about XC2. I think we could have a 'Corrin' situation with Rex, where Sakurai puts him in last minute, or plans to release him as DLC after the base game is finished, despite him being very new. At this point, I think he is a given, it's just a matter of whether he is base or DLC.

There are a lot of aspects about Rex that would make him very different from Shulk, for example his anchor shot could be a grab and recovery move, but it could also be an attack that induces tripping, to mimic the 'topple' mechanic. You also have the four arts and the switching between Pyra and Mythra, which could change properties about your attacks or change your special move based on what 'Level' your attack is. You could even include the affinity and tether mechanic, where your attacks would be stronger when you're closer to Pyra/Mythra.

Glad you're loving XC2, I've put nearly 800 hours into it and I can't wait to dig into Torna Golden Country.

D

Deleted member

I mean, technically the full character idea I support is Rex & Pyra (with the ability to switch to Mythra) but that idea is my overall most wanted character for Ultimate. I've beaten Xenoblade 2 and loved every second of it. And this character idea has so much moveset potential that I keep frying my brain trying to figure out what they'd do! Answer me Sakurai!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*ahem* If you couldn't tell, I'd like to be added to the list of supporters.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
One thing that helps Rex this time is we know the music that was for this week was for the character that we missed last week. This is confirmed from the number of the blog. I figure it would be either Pokemon, Xenoblade or a new series. Besides Animal Crossing, I don't see any of the other series left being character material. There is also the fact Pyra's VA got work the day after Ultimates reveal. I don't think she's talked at all about that and with a limited presence outside XC2, it seems possible it was Smash. All conjecture of course, but it will be interesting to see.

.......But if Malos gets in I would probably play him instead.

D

Deleted member

View attachment 161865

Blue is default
Red is Morag and Brighid
Green is Vandham and Roc
Black is Malos and Sever
Pretty darn good! Though if you don't mind, I'd like your opinion on these ideas for alts for Rex, Pyra, and Mythra (going off the assumption that you'd be able to switch between Pyra and Mythra).

I've got 9 ideas in total other than the default:

Prototype Suit Rex, Mythra style Pyra, Pyra style Mythra

Cloud Sea King Rex, Blue Sky Pyra, Carbon Mythra

Nia (Driver) Rex, Dromarch Pyra, Nia (Blade) Mythra

Tora Rex, Poppi Alpha Pyra, Poppi QT pie Mythra

Vandham Rex, Roc Pyra, KOS-MOS Mythra

Morag Rex, Brighid Pyra, Aegaeon Mythra

Zeke Rex, Pandoria Pyra, T-Elos Mythra

Master Driver Colors for Rex's normal outfit, and Pneuma colors for Pyra and Mythra

And of course the Swimsuits from the newest update to the expansion pass.

KiyoXDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KiyoXDragon
3DS FC
2981-7067-0666
Switch FC
SW-1752-3317-0324
I hope we get some information today!

KiyoXDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KiyoXDragon
3DS FC
2981-7067-0666
Switch FC
SW-1752-3317-0324
Well, no news for our Rex-kun, but Isabelle was confirmed. Congratulations to the Isabelle supporters!

KiyoXDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KiyoXDragon
3DS FC
2981-7067-0666
Switch FC
SW-1752-3317-0324
Well I'm still hoping Rex will get announced soon, we have (3 months to go!) To hype us up more, I took a page from the Elmas, and I was bored and made a Discord Server for us to chat about Rex too. Feel free to join and continue to support! https://discord.gg/ZN8b5UN

Apparently Verge leaked Isabelle, perhaps he may leak Rex in the future?
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76881166

Read this link! He basically confirmed Isabelle.

Nothing against the desgins of the swimsuits themselves but I swear if they don't give him his master driver outfit, it's just so much more iconic and it's a visual representation of Rex's growth.

Speaking of which, do you happen to have a link to your avatar KiyoXDragon KiyoXDragon ?
No, I just googled Rex images!

Last edited:
Top Bottom