• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
If you consider his columns, Sakurai definately has higher praise for Xenoblade as a franchise than Fire Emblem. He only talked about Three Houses in context of research (he actually played the beta rather than the finished game), but actually put Xenoblade 2 as one of the best games he's played.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If you consider his columns, Sakurai definately has higher praise for Xenoblade as a franchise than Fire Emblem. He only talked about Three Houses in context of research (he actually played the beta rather than the finished game), but actually put Xenoblade 2 as one of the best games he's played.
and yet there’s 8 FE characters and he talked about the franchise with such glee in Byleth presentation

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
He does that in every presentation.
Also 'Sakurai doesn't pick the characters!!!'
no sakurai doesn’t pick the ultimate dlc characters, there’s still 7 there are down to him. Plus he has the ability to veto any character he wants, nobody is forcing

So you think Sakurai's statement of "There are too many Fire Emblem characters." in Famitsu last year is invalidated by the fact that he hadn't dedicated the presentation itself to voicing his reservations, got it.
No it’s contradicting by everything he’s done before then and by the fact he’s well known for making up nonsense

I.D.

Smash Lord
Lack of characters and who is picking who aside, Xenoblade has received little to nothing in general. No new stage, no new music arrangement (has the distinction of being the only series with a playable character with no new arrangements in Ultimate), no new assist trophy, no items. Just Fiora's model from her trophy in Smash 4 awkwardly shoved into Shulk's final Smash. I don't think Sakurai particularly cares, or at least not as much as people here hope.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Plus he has the ability to veto any character he wants, nobody is forcing
Only if he can't make a moveset for them, not to prove your paranoia about more and more and more FE being added right.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
but how do we know who he can and cannot make a move set for? nintendo isnt forcing sakurai to do anything
Minecraft Steve is where the line is drawn haha. In Steve's showcase video, Sakurai stated that it was only because of Nintendo's adamancy that he was convinced Steve was someone he could make work in his vision. Also we already one know of one character who didn't get in because of moveset complications, Heihachi from the Tekken series.

We do know that characters who would be difficult to faithfully adapt face difficulties in Smash. That's what it seems like Sakurai would consider a character he cannot make a moveset for, if he cannot adapt them into the Super Smash Bros. gameplay as a playable fighter. With all that said, there is nothing complicated about Fire Emblem to make fighters. The games are turn based strategy RPGs which leave a lot to the imagination and he's done so for several past fighters. He has no reason to accept

And also Nintendo chooses the characters and I don't see why they'd request for another FE character over promoting their other franchises. Enough of this dooming drivel, I'm sick of it.

Anyways this chat is about Rex right? I made a moveset for him recently, mind if I share? It's not anything crazy new that nobody hasn't thought of but it focuses on Rex building up a specials gauge to perform strong attacks and blade affinity in order to quicker build it up.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Minecraft Steve is where the line is drawn haha. In Steve's showcase video, Sakurai stated that it was only because of Nintendo's adamancy that he was convinced Steve was someone he could make work in his vision. Also we already one know of one character who didn't get in because of moveset complications, Heihachi from the Tekken series.

We do know that characters who would be difficult to faithfully adapt face difficulties in Smash. That's what it seems like Sakurai would consider a character he cannot make a moveset for, if he cannot adapt them into the Super Smash Bros. gameplay as a playable fighter. With all that said, there is nothing complicated about Fire Emblem to make fighters. The games are turn based strategy RPGs which leave a lot to the imagination and he's done so for several past fighters. He has no reason to accept

And also Nintendo chooses the characters and I don't see why they'd request for another FE character over promoting their other franchises. Enough of this dooming drivel, I'm sick of it.

Anyways this chat is about Rex right? I made a moveset for him recently, mind if I share? It's not anything crazy new that nobody hasn't thought of but it focuses on Rex building up a specials gauge to perform strong attacks and blade affinity in order to quicker build it up.
I said we don’t know who not we don’t how

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
No it’s contradicting by everything he’s done before then and by the fact he’s well known for making up nonsense
Not untrue, but I don't know why we're using his level of cooperation with glorified commercials as evidence for where his biases lie when his less publicized Famitsu columns are likely the better indicator.

Lack of characters and who is picking who aside, Xenoblade has received little to nothing in general. No new stage, no new music arrangement (has the distinction of being the only series with a playable character with no new arrangements in Ultimate), no new assist trophy, no items. Just Fiora's model from her trophy in Smash 4 awkwardly shoved into Shulk's final Smash. I don't think Sakurai particularly cares, or at least not as much as people here hope.
Reminder that he doesn't need to care about 1 or X at all in order to care about the entry he's actually talked about playing.

Last edited:

CosmicLuma

Smash Rookie
I’ve been away from the smash speculation for way too long so it’s good to be back and support best Xenoblade protagonist!

Hey everyone just curious what is the general stance on Rex right now I’m abit ootl on smash speculation so do we think he’s got a good chance or is it looking too unlikely now?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Not untrue, but I don't know why we're using his level of cooperation with glorified commercials as evidence for where his biases lie when his less publicized Famitsu columns are likely the better indicator.
Ok regardless of whether or not “glorified commercials” is bogus, all of these characters are from FE even though there were plenty of other characters who could have also filled that role. Sakurai may say he thinks there’s to many but his actions deeply contradict it.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I’ve been away from the smash speculation for way too long so it’s good to be back ans support best Xenoblade protagonist!

Hey everyone just curious what is the general stance on Rex right now I’m abit ootl on smash speculation so do we think he’s got a good chance or is it looking too unlikely now?
From what I've seen, a lot of people consider Rex one of, if not THE most likely first party picks. Though then you gotta ask yourself how likely first party picks are at this point.

Me personally? I think we'll get at least one more, probably at the very end.

CosmicLuma

Smash Rookie
From what I've seen, a lot of people consider Rex one of, if not THE most likely first party picks. Though then you gotta ask yourself how likely first party picks are at this point.

Me personally? I think we'll get at least one more, probably at the very end.
Ahh i see that’s what i was thinking seems the most likely but ahh who knows what will happen ar this point. Thank you ^^

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
The next tournament is for fighters with 3 or more projectile moves.
Rex is not a projectile character.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
no sakurai doesn’t pick the ultimate dlc characters, there’s still 7 there are down to him. Plus he has the ability to veto any character he wants, nobody is forcing

6 at most, he was talked into adding Corrin too.
Honestly, what I've been wondering since the 'Nintendo picked the characters' thing, does Sakurai even pick the characters for the base game?
The DLC hasn't really felt that different in terms of which characters are picked, and honestly why should the DLC be treated differently anyway?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
6 at most, he was talked into adding Corrin too.
Honestly, what I've been wondering since the 'Nintendo picked the characters' thing, does Sakurai even pick the characters for the base game?
The DLC hasn't really felt that different in terms of which characters are picked, and honestly why should the DLC be treated differently anyway?
it wasn’t Nintendo that pressured him into adding Corrin it was his own team at sora. Also sakurai has always said he was the one adding in the characters right up until ultimate dlc. One of the few things he’s been consistent with

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Also sakurai has always said he was the one adding in the characters right up until ultimate dlc. One of the few things he’s been consistent with
I don't think he did. Feel free to provide me with a quote to prove me wrong though.
My main thought is: why stop now?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I don't think he did. Feel free to provide me with a quote to prove me wrong though.
My main thought is: why stop now?
Well for a start he said for the original he put in who he thought of a Nintendo’s biggest characters. He’s repeatedly used terms referring to himself or the smash team when describing development. By your own logic why would he only tell us now that Nintendo is picking the characters?

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Well for a start he said for the original he put in who he thought of a Nintendo’s biggest characters. He’s repeatedly used terms referring to himself or the smash team when describing development. By your own logic why would he only tell us now that Nintendo is picking the characters?
The original is a little different as I don't really think Nintendo cared back then. Melee maybe too. If I had to guess, Nintendo started picking the characters in Brawl. And I don't know, possibly a coincidence? And Nintendo would 'coincidentally' take away control of who gets in, there would have to be a reason behind it, so it's not really 'by my logic' anyway.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The original is a little different as I don't really think Nintendo cared back then. Melee maybe too. If I had to guess, Nintendo started picking the characters in Brawl. And I don't know, possibly a coincidence? And Nintendo would 'coincidentally' take away control of who gets in, there would have to be a reason behind it, so it's not really 'by my logic' anyway.
but it’s your theory so it is your logic. The question would then become why did they include snake when kojima begged sakurai? Why would they include Lucas a character sakurai would have included in melee had his game not been cancelled? Why would Nintendo show preference to the sakurai made Kirby games? Why would they put in so much kid icarus uprising content? And why has none of these practices turned up in other games?

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
but it’s your theory so it is your logic. The question would then become why did they include snake when kojima begged sakurai? Why would they include Lucas a character sakurai would have included in melee had his game not been cancelled? Why would Nintendo show preference to the sakurai made Kirby games? Why would they put in so much kid icarus uprising content? And why has none of these practices turned up in other games?
The preference to the non Sakurai Kirby games is reflected by the non fighter content though. Almost all Kirby characters post Sakurai's tenure have been one offs anyway. Dark Pit wasn't part of the project plan, and people like to forget that Palutena was a very popular request pre Smash 4, so I could definately get Nintendo picking her. Even so, maybe they were doing it as thanks to Sakurai, he's dedicated a lot of his life to Smash. Snake is a fair point, though there definately are some explanations. Lucas being planned for Melee I take with a grain of salt. It definately seems like one of those things that Sakurai says "I would have liked to" and people blow way out of proportion, like Geno, rather than something that was seriously planned, remember, Melee was made in a year. I seriously doubt they had time to deliberate over as many characters as he would have us believe.
Also I don't get what "why has none of these practices turned up in other games?" means.
It's Occum's Razor, Sakurai not picking the characters pre DLC requires fewer assumptions than Nintendo suddenly deciding that he wasn't allowed to pick characters anymore.

Another thing actually: promotional picks. Sakurai has no stake in Nintendo's other franchises, so it follows that we wouldn't have gotten any prior to Ultimate's DLC if Sakurai was picking the characters.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The preference to the non Sakurai Kirby games is reflected by the non fighter content though. Almost all Kirby characters post Sakurai's tenure have been one offs anyway. Dark Pit wasn't part of the project plan, and people like to forget that Palutena was a very popular request pre Smash 4, so I could definately get Nintendo picking her. Even so, maybe they were doing it as thanks to Sakurai, he's dedicated a lot of his life to Smash. Snake is a fair point, though there definately are some explanations. Lucas being planned for Melee I take with a grain of salt. It definately seems like one of those things that Sakurai says "I would have liked to" and people blow way out of proportion, like Geno, rather than something that was seriously planned, remember, Melee was made in a year. I seriously doubt they had time to deliberate over as many characters as he would have us believe.
Also I don't get what "why has none of these practices turned up in other games?" means.
It's Occum's Razor, Sakurai not picking the characters pre DLC requires fewer assumptions than Nintendo suddenly deciding that he wasn't allowed to pick characters anymore.

Another thing actually: promotional picks. Sakurai has no stake in Nintendo's other franchises, so it follows that we wouldn't have gotten any prior to Ultimate's DLC if Sakurai was picking the characters.
ok here the qoute from the melee hom page in reagds to lucas " Actually, at first, I planned to change him [Ness] into the protagonist of Mother 3 [Lucas], but for various reasons during the delay, I settled back on the original idea." how much more clear can you get?
what i mean by the other practices is every other crossover and merchandising that ninetndo does. nintendo said that they were gonna treat FE as a big series after awakening but yet in everything it takes a back seat to mario, pokemon, zelda, dk, ac, yoshi, and even splatoon. in smash FE only takes the back seat to the first two. occum's razor in the case would be sakurai has been saying hes picked the characters up til now because he has.

well thats kinda my point, promo picks as an argument doesnt make sense cause why would Nintendo focus only on FE not it much bigger series?

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
ok here the qoute from the melee hom page in reagds to lucas " Actually, at first, I planned to change him [Ness] into the protagonist of Mother 3 [Lucas], but for various reasons during the delay, I settled back on the original idea." how much more clear can you get?
what i mean by the other practices is every other crossover and merchandising that ninetndo does. nintendo said that they were gonna treat FE as a big series after awakening but yet in everything it takes a back seat to mario, pokemon, zelda, dk, ac, yoshi, and even splatoon. in smash FE only takes the back seat to the first two. occum's razor in the case would be sakurai has been saying hes picked the characters up til now because he has.

well thats kinda my point, promo picks as an argument doesnt make sense cause why would Nintendo focus only on FE not it much bigger series?
I'm going to disagree with you there. I don't think Fire Emblem has been "taking a back seat" to most of those franchises. I say most because Mario (duh), Animal Crossing and BOTW were both pushed as killer apps so that's fair too. But we've heard nothing from Splatoon in a while, DK in even longer, Three Houses was definately given more of a push than Crafted World, that was released with very little fanfare. Nintendo also barely market Pokemon, they just let Pokemon Company do there own thing.
There's also the fact that Nintendo relies on Smash a lot, it doesn't make sense to give someone who doesn't even work for them complete creative control.
Also regarding your last sentence, I have no idea what that's supposed to say.

Is there anything about the DLC characters that feels different to anything else (beyond the greater focus on 3rd Party), because honestly, there doesn't to me. If the people picking the characters has suddenly changed in the last couple years, why does it seem like business as usual?

In fact fogbadge, here's a challenge for you, if you can find one quote that directly claims that Sakurai was picking every character up until December 2018, then I will gladly admit that I am wrong.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm going to disagree with you there. I don't think Fire Emblem has been "taking a back seat" to most of those franchises. I say most because Mario (duh), Animal Crossing and BOTW were both pushed as killer apps so that's fair too. But we've heard nothing from Splatoon in a while, DK in even longer, Three Houses was definately given more of a push than Crafted World, that was released with very little fanfare. Nintendo also barely market Pokemon, they just let Pokemon Company do there own thing.
There's also the fact that Nintendo relies on Smash a lot, it doesn't make sense to give someone who doesn't even work for them complete creative control.
Also regarding your last sentence, I have no idea what that's supposed to say.

Is there anything about the DLC characters that feels different to anything else (beyond the greater focus on 3rd Party), because honestly, there doesn't to me. If the people picking the characters has suddenly changed in the last couple years, why does it seem like business as usual?

In fact fogbadge, here's a challenge for you, if you can find one quote that directly claims that Sakurai was picking every character up until December 2018, then I will gladly admit that I am wrong.
you're challenging me to find proof when youre the one making wild claims based on nothing? why dont you find me proof that nintendo have been picking characters since brawl? but hey heres an interview where sakurai talks about sora working on its own http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/ssbb/0/3
sakurai is the DIRECTOR he makes the final decisions about the games, he approves everything from characters to stages he even picks the games the composer pick the music from. you're the one making claims based on nothing all because you felt the need to defend sakurai from all the suggestion that he might like FE to the point you start something with someone over a joke

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That's fair enough, I was wrong.
I wasn't 'starting something' I was just trying to have a discussion. If anything about that made you get angry that's on you.
im perpetually angry, its got nothing to do with this place

but yeah lets move on

Last edited:

SmashSage

Smash Rookie
Hi guys, sorry if already talk about it but I found a relatively recent video on YT about the last 3 DLC, this guy consider a lot of realistic things and says Rex has high chances to be the last character of the FP2. I personally agree, I think Sakurai leave the door open to include him since the begining, things like Mythra's spirit redesign or the fact that no have a Rex icon to online profile are very curious in my opinión. Min min and Sephiroth inclusions show us that already having spirits or even music and stage of a certain game/franchise are no restrictions for become a fighter (in Rex's case has a lot of spirits of XC2 and 3 songs) so who knows. And about the Mii costume thing, well... nothing new. What do you guys think?

scaPEGoat ~

Smash Cadet
Sakurai may have praised Xenoblade. Rex may still have a chance, I wanted to believe that another post from Sakurai celebrating Xenoblade 2's birthday was the disconfirmation for me. No DLC has posts related to anything, at least it never happened. I hope I'm wrong, but I've already lost faith. Sakurai does not care much for Xenoblade as already mentioned.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Sakurai may have praised Xenoblade. Rex may still have a chance, I wanted to believe that another post from Sakurai celebrating Xenoblade 2's birthday was the disconfirmation for me. No DLC has posts related to anything, at least it never happened. I hope I'm wrong, but I've already lost faith. Sakurai does not care much for Xenoblade as already mentioned.
says who?

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
He wrote a column that Xenoblade 2 was one of the best games he's ever played, not that it matters because he's not picking with characters.

But these "this happened, so character disconfirmed" are always really dumb, I'm also not 100% sure that he didn't tweet about any of the franchises in the DLC beforehand.

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
cat.jpg

The_Hypist

Smash Rookie
Never had any posts related to the character before it was revealed.

It was the month of Xenoblade 2's birthday and the last chance was gone

i'm sorry i hope i'm wrong more for me
So? Min Min got in and her release date had nothing to do with ARMS, and she was represented in the game as a spirit prior to the ARMS Character announcement in March.

After seeing the “Min Min (Fighter)” spirit I’m not giving up hope.

I.D.

Smash Lord
So, blade Nia is getting a figure, in the same vein as Pyra, Mythra, KOS-MOS and Melia.

More XC2 merch the merrier.
You know, now that Nintendo is getting more and more serious about official figures I wonder what's gonna happen to amiibos. They are already kinda kept on life support by Smash at this point and they are honestly really goddamn ugly compared to actual scale figures

Top Bottom