• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Revival of B[rawl]

Ifrit_Smash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Skyloftknight123
3DS FC
1375-7213-2200
The Revival of Melee: the event that brought the competitive scene back into it's prime for the game of Smash bros. Melee. Who's saying we can't do the same for Brawl? Sure, pretty much everyone has given up on Brawl, but WE haven't. Everyone here (who isn't just bashing on Brawl) still cares about Brawl, as well as its [different] Competitive side. Sure it isn't fast like Melee, but that makes it a bad game? That makes it not competitive? Screw that! We can bring back Brawl, Revival of Brawl needs to happen, and the only ones willing to meet that need, is us...

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
Brawl never left. We did.

I'm guilty of this, but it's just not something I can see happening anytime soon. :(

Last edited:

Ifrit_Smash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Skyloftknight123
3DS FC
1375-7213-2200
this is kinda true, we were the ones who left Brawl, but if you have the mentality that every brawl player has had for the past few years, then we'll just get a repeat of the "death of brawl". We need to band together ( no matter how cliche it sounds)

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
this is kinda true, we were the ones who left Brawl, but if you have the mentality that every brawl player has had for the past few years, then we'll just get a repeat of the "death of brawl". We need to band together ( no matter how cliche it sounds)
Good luck on that friend.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
See my thread under "Brawl General Discussion" for first steps.

SuperWildYoshi

Smash Apprentice
glad to hear! :D
Just adding my thought.

I think Trieste SP is right when he says "Brawl never left. We did.". The fact is that the majority of the smash community left to continue playing melee, N64 and then Project M later on.

I like your enthusiasm to bring Brawl back. I'm not here to say if it is possible or not, that's up to you. Though I feel the majority of the energy and enthusiasm that Brawl players had left moved on to Smash 4. I will say that Smash 4 is like an upgraded version of Brawl, with better graphics and character balancing. Though in no way is the competitiveness and meta are the same dispute the similarities. Brawl and Smash 4 are two different games respectively.
I'm down to get back to Brawl on Wi-Fi, cause I remember playing the Wi-Fi years back and thinking about it, it is a nice nostalgic feeling. I remember adding everyone from smashboards and even joining a fb group just to exchange friend codes. Though with the closed Nintendo Wi-Fi servers, it seems sort of complicated to do. Even if I manage to set it up, seems like its a ghost town. Apprently Brawl players moved on to Dolphin(and that probably doesn't have much people online). I also hear Project M online is dead.
Would be nice if there was an easier way to play Project M or Brawl online , since I don't have a gaming PC or Wii U yet. Though I may get a Wii U soon since its been a while I got into smash competitively online and Smash 4 has a great community for that.

NipahAllDay

Smash Cadet
NNID
NipahEveryDay
3DS FC
1932-5500-1950
Yeah I also want Brawl competitive to come back as well. As a person who got into smash competitive because of sm4sh, I also want to try out the competitive side of other smash games.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
I love Brawl as a game. I played it a TON. But to me, it's really hard to go back to after playing PM and now, Smash 4.

カワシさん

Brawl was my first Smash game and I'd love to experience the competitive community, although there is no Nintendo Wifi anymore. What SmashBoards could do is host a sort of "speedrun" through certain levels in subspace on certain difficulties. I heard that Melee has done something similiar for their adventure mode (TAS I think?). Just an idea. In the speedrun, people could play on the specific level and post their times on the speedrun thread, although personally if I did it I wouldn't be able to record (I'd be honest though), the players could record it on video and post it. Then again, it's just an idea.

oorr23

Smash Cadet
I'd be interested, but seriously, people have said it before, it's that Smash 4 is simply the similar, better balanced game. Plus, and I think I can speak for at least some, but Meta Knight is holding you back lol.

Blue53

Smash Cadet
NNID
Bluemario64
The project could be called R.O.B for short amirite? ; ). But seriously, we need to find a way to make this happen : XX

oorr23

Smash Cadet
hmm..Online Tournament? o.o

Use Wiimmfi to set up a server, use Challonge.com to draw up a bracket, and make a post on Reddit/SmashBoards?

That's the quickest way, but in-real-life is much harder.

ThePuffDaddy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
flashman69
I want to really bad, but first we need the big name players on board who were in the spotlight when brawl was still a legitimate thing. ZeRo, M2k, Vinnie, Nairo, and others need to be dedicated to Brawl again. No offense but just one tourney with a bunch of no names isn't going to revive Brawl, we need a huge turnout and with big names.

Last edited:

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
Warning Received
Brawl was my first smash game.This game brought me into competitve and made me love smash to this day so my thoughts #ReviveBrawl

I want to really bad, but first we need the big name players on board who were in the spotlight when brawl was still a legitimate thing. ZeRo, M2k, Vinnie, Nairo, and others need to be dedicated to Brawl again. No offense but just one tourney with a bunch of no names isn't going to revive Brawl, we need a huge turnout and with big names.
Hold it right there we don't need them all we need is really G O O D brawl players and that can bring m2k,Zero,etc back

Last edited by a moderator:

ThePuffDaddy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
flashman69
Hold it right there we don't need them all we need is really G O O D brawl players and that can bring m2k,Zero,etc back
That is true. If the big players hear of a big tournament with many entrants focused on Brawl only, as well as a big pot bonus. The big names will come. M2K even expressed interest in playing Brawl again recently. But first we need a large group of players focused and dedicated to Brawl. I don't want another year where Brawl is mostly ignored at apex with less than 100 entrants.

Last edited:

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
I love Brawl and would to help.^_^

Though im not sure how .-. I've tried getting brawl in my scene but im having little luck getting entrants for it. Some sort of consistent weekly/ Bi-weeky Online tourney can help but I do not even have my wii back online since the ending of Wifi...

I've been playing Brawl every now and then[alone...:C )and revisiting my mains. I feel i can partake in any tournaments that will benefit the 'cause' just hit me up ^^

Last edited:

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
That is true. If the big players hear of a big tournament with many entrants focused on Brawl only, as well as a big pot bonus. The big names will come. M2K even expressed interest in playing Brawl again recently. But first we need a large group of players focused and dedicated to Brawl. I don't want another year where Brawl is mostly ignored at apex with less than 100 entrants.
If we get a big tourney started I'm going no matter what

ThePuffDaddy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
flashman69
Warning Received
If we get a big tourney started I'm going no matter what
I'm willing to go, as long as its in the US or Canada. My school has a Brawl tournament every once in a while because its easier to set up. I destroy everyone obviously because none of them are competitive smashers. Except for these other two dudes. It's fun to play brawl in a tourney again.

Hell, I'm willing to get this tourney set up myself. I live near dabuz, Vinnie, Mr.E and DkWill so I can get some great players on board easily.

Last edited by a moderator:

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
Really I never played Brawl competitively so maybe I'm missing some context here, but (as I understand) people left Brawl for Sm4sh because it's newer, better balanced, faster, has more content, etc. That said, what real reason is there to go back to Brawl outside of nostalgia and moddability? I'm not bashing on Brawl at all, it's a fun game in it's own right, but I can't see any real reason to go back. The majority of things people really liked about Brawl are also in Sm4sh, and the few things that aren't can easily be patched in via DLC in the future. If anyone can explain why I'm wrong, please do. But as things stand, it is very unlikely that people will come back to Brawl.

ThePuffDaddy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
flashman69
Really I never played Brawl competitively so maybe I'm missing some context here, but (as I understand) people left Brawl for Sm4sh because it's newer, better balanced, faster, has more content, etc. That said, what real reason is there to go back to Brawl outside of nostalgia and moddability? I'm not bashing on Brawl at all, it's a fun game in it's own right, but I can't see any real reason to go back. The majority of things people really liked about Brawl are also in Sm4sh, and the few things that aren't can easily be patched in via DLC in the future. If anyone can explain why I'm wrong, please do. But as things stand, it is very unlikely that people will come back to Brawl.
To me Brawl feels like a stronger competitive game (besides ICs and tripping) Sure the game isn't as balanced, but the combos in the game are much stronger than Smash 4. The game also has advanced tech that Sm4sh doesn't have. This most likely nostalgia talking but Brawl just has more charm to me and is more fun.i admit smash 4 is the better game, but there is something about Brawl I love so much.

Last edited:

oorr23

Smash Cadet
Soo yeah, you need to set the scene, as some have mentioned above: IRL or Online?

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
Exa
To me Brawl feels like a stronger competitive game (besides ICs and tripping) Sure the game isn't as balanced, but the combos in the game are much stronger than Smash 4. The game also has advanced tech that Sm4sh doesn't have. This most likely nostalgia talking but Brawl just has more charm to me and is more fun.i admit smash 4 is the better game, but there is something about Brawl I love so much.
Exactly that's why I love brawl thats why we need to revive brawl

QuickLava

Smash Journeyman
I agree with you completely about it having better combos and slightly more tech, but I can't see that being enough to sway very many people away from Sm4sh. Really, gameplay isn't what you all are up against with Sm4sh, you're up against hype. New stages, characters, music, etc are all coming to Sm4sh in the very near future. This is especially true with the Smash Ballot stuff going on. People right now are going to follow the hype train wherever it leads them, and that's why Brawl's future looks so bleak right now. The only two other very successful competitive Smash games right now are Melee and Project M, and that's because they both have gimmicks. Sm4sh's gimmick is DLC, Melee's gimmick is nostalgia and speed, and Project M's gimmick is expanding upon the already successful Melee formula and customizability. Brawl really doesn't have a gimmick that another game doesn't do just as well if not better. And, thus, it will not and likely can not become as successful.

Last edited:

ThePuffDaddy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
flashman69
@ QuickLava QuickLava makes a great point, but I feel like we can garner enough support from players that feel the same way about Brawl as we do and bring it back. The biggest issue with this is trying to introduce new players to Brawl as a competitive game and show them what we think males Brawl special. I dont want it to dethrone Smash 4 because I love that game, but I want it to live along side it. Sort of how PM and Melee lived along side each other, being such similar games.

Ifrit_Smash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Skyloftknight123
3DS FC
1375-7213-2200
I've just read all these replies (haven't checked up on this thread for a while, been busy) But I'm so happy to see that there are more people who share my interest. I've been thinking of a starting with a wiimmfi weekly (or bi-weekly) monday tournament (probably at around 6 pm PST or so) using challonge. Give me your guys' thoughts if you think you'd enter. (it will be free for now, until we can get a big enough group for local tournaments) Also thanks @ ThePuffDaddy ThePuffDaddy it seems that you believe brawl can come back just as I do. I hope brawl can one day get back up to standard in tournaments and streams alike. but until then let's keep doing what we can.

ThePuffDaddy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
flashman69
I've just read all these replies (haven't checked up on this thread for a while, been busy) But I'm so happy to see that there are more people who share my interest. I've been thinking of a starting with a wiimmfi weekly (or bi-weekly) monday tournament (probably at around 6 pm PST or so) using challonge. Give me your guys' thoughts if you think you'd enter. (it will be free for now, until we can get a big enough group for local tournaments) Also thanks @ ThePuffDaddy ThePuffDaddy it seems that you believe brawl can come back just as I do. I hope brawl can one day get back up to standard in tournaments and streams alike. but until then let's keep doing what we can.
Yup, I'm totally with you and want Brawl back up to standard. Just let me know when the first tourney is and I can adverstise the **** out of it. Maybe someone can stream it?

Ifrit_Smash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Skyloftknight123
3DS FC
1375-7213-2200
well I was thinking of the first tournament being this coming monday. again, It'll be over Wiimmfi and the tournament will be on challonge. (just clarifying) what's your brawl FC Puff? (and yeah, thanks for the help! I might have you help with the tournaments for days I am unable to host if you're up for it)

Sliquify_Cheeze

Smash Cadet
I just need to know what time for me, since I'm in Australia. But other than that, I'm down for tournaments, just weekends would be more helpful.

FluidminD

Smash Rookie
There's a reason brawl died immediately after smash 4's release. Because it was a terrible game competitively. It's literally more fun watching paint dry then watching competitive brawl. It's unreal how bad brawl is compared to every other smash game.

The same will happen with smash 4. The only smash games that will retain their competitive player-base will be the ones that actually challenge the audience.

DualX

Smash Apprentice
There's a reason brawl died immediately after smash 4's release. Because it was a terrible game competitively. It's literally more fun watching paint dry then watching competitive brawl. It's unreal how bad brawl is compared to every other smash game.
Yup. Same thing will probably happen to Smash 4. I mean, there was a tournament game I watched for Smash 4 that went over the 8 minute time limit. We're talking about a game that only has two stocks. Why.

Look at this game. This is the grand finals for Brawl during Apex 2015, a game that was shoehorned in just because they didn't want Project M. I don't think I've watched a slower game in my life.

Can anyone tell me how this looks more enjoyable to watch over Project M, or play even?

ohyeahmrkrabs

Smash Rookie
I would love to see Brawl come back, and the last I saw Brawl was at Apex 2015 when I went there. I believe Ally won. Ally, possibly best player in Canada plays Smash 4, but it was good to see him play Brawl.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Here's what I've done so far to plant the seeds for this:
  • Worked with SOJ to put together the optimized Brawl netplay code, which is now a Dolphin setting as of a month or so ago
  • Worked with MKWii players to write a comprehensive guide on this site for easy Wiimmfi setup
  • Still host Brawl tournaments in Toronto, arguably the most active scene for Brawl right now
  • Consulting for Anther's Ladder as they set up Brawl support on their site
Now we just need people to play :(

Sliquify_Cheeze

Smash Cadet
As I think I've mentioned, I'd love to help as much as I can, I have a working wiimmfi as well as isos, I just live in Australia. I might suggest though, we could create some more Brawl-related rules

1Flow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jfaithfull
Wiimmfi servers are better than netplay. I used to love brawl. looking back it wasn't as good as i thought i was orignally when i played it everyday. It was my first smash game ever that i played and it does have some good components. I personally hate melee, love project m, like smash 4, and like brawl. I think we should get brawl back because evry smash game is important and how can we call ourselves a community if we don't participate in every game. If we arte DIEHARTD smash fans, that should mean we play every game:)

Top Bottom