• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Revitalizing the DK Boards

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I know the DK boards have never really been active, but for a while this place has been pretty dead (... like undead zombies are less dead lol). We've always been a laid back and easy going group, but perhaps due to the convenience of skype/discord/fb groups a lot of the discussion has left the boards. While not as fluid as other social network platforms, forums can still be useful for both newer and veteran players. In an effort to breath some life into this board, I feel like some changes can be done to make it more useful and engaging to everyone. The purpose of this thread is to see how you guys feel and ask what changes you'd like to see.

These are some of the things I have in mind

- Restarting the DK MU discussion thread
- DK tourney results and matchmaking thread
- More focused group discussion on various things

For now, my approach on the MU thread will probably be discussing them in waves of 4-5 so that we can actually finish them within 3 months. MU's affected by patches during the first run through all the characters would re-discussed after finishing everyone. Once we finish the first sweep of all the characters I think we can start attempting in-depth MU breakdowns on prevalent tourney threats 1 or 2 at a time.

We are currently lacking a tournament results thread, and I think that combining it with local matchmaking just makes sense. Fostering competitive growth is what drew me to smashboards, and I know that competition is largely fueled by rivals. Maybe we could do an online tournament to kick things off, or have DK vs ___ board showdowns that tie in to the current MU discussion.

The third point is pretty vague, but there really is a lot of random things that warrant discussion. Stuff like item play, stage selection, moveset tier lists, teams meta, move of the week, common OoS punishes, etc.

Let me know if you have any ideas on what you'd like to see or how you guys want them to be done.

Blueberry Kong

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DKbill
I think SmashBoards is a great place to discuss and keep all this information. I will certainly be participating in all of these threads. I encourage all DK mains to frequent the DK boards more often to keep this beautiful place alive!

I think MU discussion threads are extremely beneficial to have. I also really like the idea of "move of the week" since we can learn how to optimize the use of DK's entire moveset. All of these ideas are great, so hopefully we can get some actual discussions going.

We should probably inform all the Discord/Skype/Facebook/Reddit DK dudes to check this place out.

Ratatat

Smash Apprentice
I presonally would love to see this happen and hope we can get this started asap. (tonight?, tomorrow?) if we do get this going I will no doubt contribute everything I have. I hardly come on here anymore but that would change if these pages were actually active.

DanDanChan

Smash Rookie
I would love to contribute to the dk cause! I love this big lug, and am hoping to do my part to make these boards lively again. Thanks for the great post and here's to the king of swing

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I presonally would love to see this happen and hope we can get this started asap. (tonight?, tomorrow?) if we do get this going I will no doubt contribute everything I have. I hardly come on here anymore but that would change if these pages were actually active.
Ya I plan to get the ball rolling over the next few days and hope to have the bulk of the changes done by next week.

I think SmashBoards is a great place to discuss and keep all this information. I will certainly be participating in all of these threads. I encourage all DK mains to frequent the DK boards more often to keep this beautiful place alive!

I think MU discussion threads are extremely beneficial to have. I also really like the idea of "move of the week" since we can learn how to optimize the use of DK's entire moveset. All of these ideas are great, so hopefully we can get some actual discussions going.

We should probably inform all the Discord/Skype/Facebook/Reddit DK dudes to check this place out.
If any particular topic piques your interests, feel free to make a thread on it ;).

Since our social thread is pretty dead, my current thoughts are combining it with matchmaking and tourney results. Once people actually use it for those things, casual discussion is probably bound to happen anyway. I'll try and play around with it to make the first few posts have summaries of all the tourney results and matchmaking stuff as we go along.

As far as the MU thread is concerned, I will try to make it so that the characters in each week will be similar enough to make sense discussing at the same time (rushdown chars, zoners, heavies, FE crew, etc.). We can aim for 5 characters a week and the last 2 weeks can be 4 each to finish all 58 characters in 12 weeks.

What do you guys think would be better? 1) A thread for each MU with one directory thread to keep track of them. 2) One thread for each wave of characters and a directory thread to keep track of them. 3) One mega thread with the first post being a directory to keep track of them.

Blueberry Kong

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DKbill
What do you guys think would be better? 1) A thread for each MU with one directory thread to keep track of them. 2) One thread for each wave of characters and a directory thread to keep track of them. 3) One mega thread with the first post being a directory to keep track of them.
I would rather have choice number 1, but realistically if we want to get through all the characters, we should probably go with number 2 to have more characters at once.

Also, I couldn't think of any other ideas that you hadn't mentioned before, but maybe also a thread about DK in doubles.

Proto_DLN000

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3780-9118-8900
Yes, the matchup thread NEEDS to be restarted by someone who will actively keep up with and update it. We also need in-depth analysis written more actively and in-depth beyond a singular 3-4 sentence paragraph.

I like the 12 weeks one thread idea, it seems like it would work best and keep all the information centralized.

DanDanChan

Smash Rookie
As long as the directory is easy to use, then i am fine with a single thread. I just hate having 20 pages of content with absolutely no direction.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I'll be starting the new MU discussion thread on Sunday, and the plan will be to start a new wave of characters every Sunday. I'll probably start off with one thread per wave as a middle ground to test the waters. Once the second wave starts I may end up merging the previous week's thread with the directory thread and/or rearranging it to group all the posts about X character in blocks so that you can see all the discussion of the MU in one string of posts.

I also think for the MU ratios that it would be a good idea to put a "confidence" rating to go with it. Basically something to show how agreed upon the ratios are. If DK mains strongly agree DK vs X is __ and X mains also strongly agree that it is also __, that would be 5/5. If DK mains can't agree on a ratio and X mains can't agree on a ratio, that would be 0/5. If neither side can agree with the other it would be 3/5 at best depending on how different the ratios are.

Are there any requests on who we should start off with?

Proto_DLN000

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3780-9118-8900
I'll be starting the new MU discussion thread on Sunday, and the plan will be to start a new wave of characters every Sunday. I'll probably start off with one thread per wave as a middle ground to test the waters. Once the second wave starts I may end up merging the previous week's thread with the directory thread and/or rearranging it to group all the posts about X character in blocks so that you can see all the discussion of the MU in one string of posts.

I also think for the MU ratios that it would be a good idea to put a "confidence" rating to go with it. Basically something to show how agreed upon the ratios are. If DK mains strongly agree DK vs X is __ and X mains also strongly agree that it is also __, that would be 5/5. If DK mains can't agree on a ratio and X mains can't agree on a ratio, that would be 0/5. If neither side can agree with the other it would be 3/5 at best depending on how different the ratios are.

Are there any requests on who we should start off with?
Whoever we start with, lets keep their playstyles similar so that we can keep discussion cohesive and related on all levels. Maybe blend prominent characters with lesser known ones to encourage discussion of all of them?

Top Bottom