• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Revenge Of The Low-Teirs: Do you main a low-tier?

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Lol, the guy who made the first post doesn't seem to be aware of the huge differences between characters and the specific character matchups.

I mean, look at Mewtwo vs Sheik, Sheik has much more going for her. It's not simply, "oh Sheik players are more popular". It's just that, SHEIK IS AMAZING, period.

This game is narrowed down to 4 characters (Fox, Falco, Sheik, Marth) for a reason. It's not because these 4 characters are super cool and popular....or else we would see 100x Link and Roy players :laugh: Remember, the Tier List is based on tournament results, and it seems that characters like Sheik are winning alot. Hmm...wonder why :/

Like any other fighting game, in SmashBros. Melee, there are characters better than others, as simple as that.

edit: I use Fox, DK and Mewtwo as mains. My other characters are Link and Zelda.

Pynk

Smash Cadet
My main is the Luiginator. He is a cyborg from the future with the powers of a billy goat. Actually he amy be a robot, not sure. i enjoy the fox, c. falcon matchup, and yet against many low tier characters I have no clue what to do. Take pichu for instance, my mechanic heart feels so downtrodden after kicking him in the face. That is until he fries my circuits, then I cry because our pokemon youth is so caught up in the hustle of fighting for their masters. A real shame to see innocence unraveling before my eyes. On a lighter note the high tiers are there for a reason. They are at the right age for combat, except Peach who should be keeping an eye her illegitimate children as a result of Bowser. If you give Ness and kirby time they will develop, Ness will get enough allowance to buy a sword and Kirby will be able to wield that massive hammer consistently. Ganondorf and Bowser on the other hand are screwed due to old age.

Zjiin

Smash Master
My main is the Luiginator. He is a cyborg from the future with the powers of a billy goat. Actually he amy be a robot, not sure. i enjoy the fox, c. falcon matchup, and yet against many low tier characters I have no clue what to do. Take pichu for instance, my mechanic heart feels so downtrodden after kicking him in the face. That is until he fries my circuits, then I cry because our pokemon youth is so caught up in the hustle of fighting for their masters. A real shame to see innocence unraveling before my eyes. On a lighter note the high tiers are there for a reason. They are at the right age for combat, except Peach who should be keeping an eye her illegitimate children as a result of Bowser. If you give Ness and kirby time they will develop, Ness will get enough allowance to buy a sword and Kirby will be able to wield that massive hammer consistently. Ganondorf and Bowser on the other hand are screwed due to old age.
Not to put you down or discourage you from posting in the future, but you in no way contributed to the conversation or the issue that's being discussed. I think everyone's IQ has just gone down from reading that. Other than that, thanks for the input!

saratos

Smash Apprentice
LLD, I main (in order) Ness, Ganny, and Roy. These guys are so much fun, and Ness actually rocks. If I am doing badly, it is Falco for me, but otherwise..

Sandwich

Smash Ace
I main Kirby and Ness. I just don't like jumping abilities of Marth or someone like that.
...And sometimes I play Captain Falcon. [/FALCONPUNCH!!!!!one]

Jammer

Smash Lord
I main Falco but I play a lot of Luigi. He's the second-funnest character to play for me (behind Doc).

Jammer

Smash Lord
wow....everyone skimmed right over my post...
now no one is gonna understand the message i was putting forth.....
lol
You said you main a top tier.

I don't get it.

EDIT: After reading brawlpro's post (above) I now understand. Thanks, brawlpro.

leefan

Smash Cadet
lol
i used to main pikachu, simply because it was such a great char for FFA battles
imean, i still sometimes use pikachu in ffa
and ness is always fun to use for his yoyo glitch, since theres bound to be a fox or falco player out of the four ppl, making it incredibly easy to set up jackets.
but still, i main peach and marth, with falco in the progress.

low tiers are powerful if played correctly, or just cheaply. like, i know for sure that a handful of great players will occasionally jump right infront of a falcon punch (although most likely a counter mistime)
and then, ganon is just great for menuvering, and i just love yelling out "MEXICAN TRUCK" on his down B. his dair shffls are also strong.

`Jammin' Jobus

Smash Journeyman
i play pretty much every char except kirby, yoshi, mewtwo, bowser, zelda, link, ice climbers and pikachu. every other char i play.

Jammer

Smash Lord
Ness is top tier.
Is that just idle boasting or have you actually won tournaments with Ness, Simna?

I mean, are you like the best Ness player ever and able to beat most people with him?

(I realize this post may seem rude or sarcastic, but it's not supposed to be. I'm just wondering.)

McD

Smash Journeyman
I main Pichu, not just cause hes a low teir
but of course, nobody expects much from the little guy
hes awsome, great moves, can duck under things
sure, he has many faults, but I've grown to love

Lumpy..

Smash Ace
HAHAHAHA

dude, your sarcasm is completely missunderstood.

yeah i win tournaments and place well in tournaments in general...but i suck...the only reason i win or do well at all is cause i use a top tier character

you place well with ness?

... hey everybody, i just found out ness is top tier!
... but how if he's not that popular?:confused:

lol

Sandwich

Smash Ace
=D
Main: Luigi
2nd Main: Doc
Alternate: Kirby
2nd Alternate: Mr.Game & Watch
Casual Play: Pichu (Ya rly).

I'm just chock full o' low tiers =D

BETA

Smash Ace
Yoshi is my main, and I wouldn't play SSBM any other way. Other low-tier players will agree with me on this: using the characters that everyone else uses is kind of dull.

My Yoshi's starting to get decent. Yoshi's pretty reliable once you get a grip of his advanced moves. Yoshi is, IMO, a mid-tier without a triple jump. Either way, he's the only character I can use now. I've tried Ness, Mewtwo, Link, Roy, Mario, and Pikachu, and recently Kirby, but there's a huge skill gap in between all of them and my Yoshi.

Banana_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
I'm a Kirby main! Have been in SSB, still am in SSBM, still will be in SSBB.
Simply because the Kirby series are my favorite Nintendo series...
I'm completely aware of how much Kirby 'sucks' in Melee, lol.
Still, and I think that's the case with every character, he can become great in the hands of someone skilled (just look at T!mmy and Omnigamer)
He can do some pretty lethal edgeguarding against Fox and Falco, and pwning C. Falcons with their own Falcon punch simply rocks. Also, Kirbycides FTW!
Oh and I know I will be laughing once Kirby get's an upgrade in Brawl... I mean, he can't suck much more than he does now :-p

I've also read something about Yoshi's Up+B in Brawl is actually going to be a triple jump... I can see him skyrocketing way up the tier list as well...

Jammer

Smash Lord
I've also read something about Yoshi's Up+B in Brawl is actually going to be a triple jump... I can see him skyrocketing way up the tier list as well...
Not quite. It's just a tiny little boost, not a useful triple jump.

Yoshi is going to have problems in high-skilled Brawl because he can't jump, grab, or do any fancy stuff out of his shield. Again (sorry Yoshi fans).

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
Well, I main Ness.. and ones of my alts is Luigi. I'll sometimes play YLink also, mostly friendly matches only, but still...

BETA is right; using the same characters that everyone else uses can get dull, unless you add some spice to your playing-style when playing as one of those OU characters. That was one of the original reasons I kinda stopped using high-tiers; there was no variety. Sheik is still my secondary, but she is the only high-tier on my personal roster.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
False. I love how these people just make up random solid facts. Everyone but one person in the world could switch to mewtwo and the one guy who plays fox/falco/marth would destroy them.
All of them? No. In the situation you described, there would be enough Mewtwo players advancing its mindgame and getting good at it that even if the one top tier player were KDJ, or Ken, or M2K, they would be unable to consistently win tournaments. I agree with you that how good the character is definitely is the major statement that the tier list makes, but the character's popularity is also strongly reflected. This is why IC's aren't as high as they should be. They have an incredibly broken grab, and a mindgame that has only recently begun to be developed. The problem is, I see a lot of people preferring not to play them because they make the game less fun, or some such. I also see the same argument against playing as Sheik. I'm convinced that both of these characters should be higher on the tier list, but they are less popular, for some reason. A character's popularity has a visible effect on the list. It's undeniable.

KingofCereal

Smash Journeyman
I think it's a bit dumb to say such and such character is more "fun". I think winning is fun, and if you can win with a character that makes the game more fun. If it happens to be a higher tier character then well done. I main Marth and DK evenly, and play a little Mario. It's a whole lot easier to win as Marth, but that doesn't make it less fun... What's fun is mixing it up and playing around.

Platypus

Smash Ace
Astride a magic potato alongside Mario. ________ S
Bleh. I wish we could use Smashots of our mains as avatars.

If we could, mine would be Ganondorf. He is more powerful for me than Marth, Falco, etc., mostly because of the amount of time I've logged for him.

I only beat my brother's Fox with Doc. Anyone else fights the furry, I die. It seems that there are certain strengths in lo-tiers to conquer hi-tiers.

Lo-tiers are more funnerer a lot of the time, too.

Dark Thoughts

Smash Rookie
i been playin low tiers for a while now (link mostly) and i keep up with my friends fox sometimes (shut up ro i said sometimes) but i find them more fun and enjoyable because who wants to be like everyone else i mean cmon i main mewtwo now tho cuz hes a PIMP

Slightlyvicious

Smash Cadet
i DO play low tiers occasionally, yes, and they all have their pros and cons. The difference between them and a higher tier is the level of skill required to use them. most people when they first play think falco and sheik are terrible. however, many n00bs main kirby who is more suited to them because kirby is an easy to control character. But when that player gets older, he/she may like a higher tier, such as Fox Or Falco. This is what the tier list is based off of.

Top Bottom