• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Request to Edit SmashWiki

Box_of_Fox

Smash Journeyman
After observing SmashWiki for the past 20 minutes I've realized that the various character and stage descriptions for the SSB guides aren't even outdated-- they are mostly just flat-out wrong.

Here is a few examples:

Pros and Cons of Samus

Pros--
Fast dash
Has a projectile NO WAI
Good recovery
Ranged grab That's a pro. Right.
Can teleport LOL
Has a spike
Decent range on aerials Not really enough to be considered a "pro"
Has a shield break combo If you're amazing or ask your opponent to hold their shield for a little while
Decent edge game Now its just getting random
High priority attack present (Screw Attack) Great syntax
Her beam has a very high knockback when fully charged Beam?
Cons--
Almost no comboing ability
Very situational Up smash Oh poor us
Loses the ability to double jump after using a bomb in the air Hardly a con
Slow grab Finally, tard
Large Again, not a horrible con
Very bad roll

The description of Mario is even worse--

Mario makes his first appearance in a fighting game in the original Super Smash Bros., as a starting playable character. He is touted as the most balanced character of the game's character roster, much like his appearances in other games, with no real strengths but no outstanding weaknesses either; therefore, new players of the game are encouraged to play as him first. In the competitive meta-game, his good comboing ability with a deadly finishing move and his Fair being a spike are his pros, but his lack of especially pointed strengths make him a middle-tier fighter. His B-move shoots a moderately fast, bouncing, low-damage Fireball in front of him from his left glove, his B-Up move is an uppercut third-jump called the Super Jump Punch that when connecting with an enemy can hit multiple times for minor damage (and coins briefly appear when the move connects), and his B-Down move is the Mario Tornado, where he whirls his body to damage foes around him, and when he stops the foes are sent up a short ways into the air.

There are so many things wrong with this paragraph.

Rupus

BRoomer
BRoomer
You don't need to be given permission. As long as the stuff you put in is reliable, you're welcome to change it as you see fit.

Box_of_Fox

Smash Journeyman
Meow I was just putting it out there to anyone who had free time and wanted to make the effort to fix it. I'd edit it myself except I'm at work.

Moocow007

Smash Ace
Lol also in the ssb64 page it says ssb64 has weaker di. I say bull ****
I've run some tests and have found that DI in SSBM is approximately 53.64 times stronger than SSB64 DI, thus concluding your calling of bull**** to be bull**** in itself.

ShoeThief

Smash Apprentice
Meow-I think he'll be deleting more than adding >_>

You say that somethings aren't really noteworthy (eg, her size being "not a horrible con") but it still is one. I'll delete the stupid ones though.

Also I can't find where you got the mario paragraph from. I've never seen it although I do go through SmashWiki quite often. The paragraph from the Mario (SSB) page is much better. But yeah there are a lot of people who have made edits that aren't really true, if you can tell me where you got that paragraph from I can fix it.

BHLMRO-that's probably because it's much harder to do

EDIT: k i fixed the bad paragraph. Also although that may be the only page that LINKS to it, you can type in Mario into the search box or you can enter the url for the Mario page (not the SSB, SSBM, or SSBB, just the mario page) to get there (I love wiki's organization system)

Box_of_Fox

Smash Journeyman
Yes I noticed that as well. I think it should be edited to say "different DI", and then a small explanation added. A major misconception that Melee smashers (who believe they understand 64) constantly promote is that "Once you get in a combo in 64, you're dead", which is simply not true. Even Isai's combos don't necessarily end in death.

ShoeThief, the paragraph I provided comes directly from the Pro-64 smashers page, when you press the large link that says "mario". That, by the way, is the ONLY way to get to that page.

ShoeThief

Smash Apprentice
"Once you get in a combo in 64, you're dead"

Actually I think it's much harder to get out in melee, with stuff like chain throwing even though DI is 53.64 times stronger (how did you calculate that BTW?). I've never seen a 0-death combo in a pro game in SSB (tho I don't see that many) but I've seen plenty 0-death stuff in SSBM vids (such as with chain throwing or ICs etc.)

EDIT: Once again piggybacking off my previous post. Yeah I will support Jigglypuff's page for AOTW. I think it's the best char page, with Fox's and Falcon's being 2nd after that.

greenblob

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure Samus' shield break combo doesn't require the opponent to hold the shield button.

There's a movement to change all the "pros and cons" to "______ in competitive play." I revamped Jigg's pros and cons, and you're all welcome to do the same with other characters. If we're keeping pros and cons, they should be very objective and plain (instead of something like good aerials, it should be good priority, high range, and stuff like that).

Oh, and I nominated Jigglypuff's page for Article of the Week. I don't think it's exactly AotW material yet, but it's getting there. If you can add something, please do!

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
"Once you get in a combo in 64, you're dead"

Actually I think it's much harder to get out in melee, with stuff like chain throwing even though DI is 53.64 times stronger (how did you calculate that BTW?). I've never seen a 0-death combo in a pro game in SSB (tho I don't see that many) but I've seen plenty 0-death stuff in SSBM vids (such as with chain throwing or ICs etc.)

EDIT: Once again piggybacking off my previous post. Yeah I will support Jigglypuff's page for AOTW. I think it's the best char page, with Fox's and Falcon's being 2nd after that.
umm how many times have you seen a z2d on melee? lol

Rupus

BRoomer
BRoomer
Many, many times Boom. Ever heard of Ice Climbers? =]

Wobbling for the lose D=

Edit: On a random note: Last SSBM tournament I went to, I got wobbled seven times in the three games we played, and lost a stock every time >_>

_kSo_

Smash Master
it's easier to follow DI and predict where they're going to go in melee. In 64, since the DI is much more difficult, hence more sparatic, it is harder to tell where exactly the opponent will go. With falcon uair combos, I think this gets cut down a whole like, but with things like fox's drill combos - they can be DI'ed out of pretty quickly. and don't even get me started about pikachu. this guy can z2d you just as easily as falcon if not easier. i think the only thing of pika's thats easy to DI is his fair.

Top Bottom