• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Request: Separate Friend Finder for Europeans (and Australians?)

WeltallZero

Smash Cadet
First of all, HUGE thanks to Kirby King, for bringing us the SWFF: quite possible THE system that changes the face of online Brawl gaming for so many of us. I've used it a lot in the past, and loved every bit of it. Really, thanks.

I'd like to humbly request something that I think we need: a separate friend finder instance for Europeans. As cross-continent brawling is not a very good idea, ping-wise, it would be easier if we could all gather on a separate FF. As it is right now, it takes a couple of minutes each time to skim through everyone's locations to see if any of them are in Europe; the worst part is that, often, there's no-one. This in turn discourages us from using the SWFF (especially, I'm guessing, new European users who are just trying it and think it's only for US players), which is why there's so few or none of us online (a vicious circle).

We Europeans simply can't reach "critical mass". Heck, if we did, it would be even more reason to separate both regions, as then US players would be encumbered by us as well.

I'm thinking that Australians would probably be rather grateful for an Oceania-only version as well, for pretty much the same reasons.

Thank you for listening, for these boards and for the SWFF. :)

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I think, rather than a seperate one, a location filter would be a better idea and easily solve that problem.

Frate

Smash Journeyman
Quite funny, I played with a person in mexico and it was quite even even though I had three second delay. Then I asked "Do you have lag?" he answered "no". :D

You can already see the location now, just brawl with people living in the continent . :D

WeltallZero

Smash Cadet
You can already see the location now, just brawl with people living in the continent . :D
*cough* allow me to quote myself, bad habit as that is.

As it is right now, it takes a couple of minutes each time to skim through everyone's locations to see if any of them are in Europe; the worst part is that, often, there's no-one.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
Check out the public beta. I just added a preference that lets you specify your region--it's not quite what you were looking for, but it will list the region on the right so that it's easier to find someone from your region just by skimming the list.

zamz

Smash Journeyman
I'll point out that location isn't the only thing that determines lag. In North America, I've played quite a few matches in Europe and had relatively little lag for online mode.

I think you just have to get used to some lag. Whether you're playing your neighbor online or you're playing someone in Japan, lag is inevitable. But location doesn't guarentee a really laggy game. Connections matter more. Location only has a small effect. If there's nobody else in your region, it's worth playing someone outside your region and crossing your fingers. You might be pleasantly suprised.

What we have right now (in the Beta FF) is just fine: the ability to select your 'reigion.' This'll let you quickly browse the people near you. We shouldn't isolate different countries from playing each other or else less popular areas will never find opponents.

WeltallZero

Smash Cadet
Check out the public beta. I just added a preference that lets you specify your region--it's not quite what you were looking for, but it will list the region on the right so that it's easier to find someone from your region just by skimming the list.
Actually, that's perfect! It allows one to see if there's any Europeans online at a glance, then you still have the option to challenge anyone from somewhere else if there isn't, all in the same window. Thanks a lot! :D

For easy access, I'm posting the public beta thread link below:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=178088
I think this thread may be closed now, right?

Nasanieru

Smash Journeyman
I have a quick question about online between countries. (Sorry if this is the wrong place etc. I haven't been on SWF in awhile.)

Is it possible to play online between different countries?

eg> Me: NTSC Version in the US
Friend: PAL Version in Oceania

If anyone could answer this it would be helpful, as we're going to be trying to set up a match soon.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
yer u can play ppl from other countries. just get their friend code. i agree with the arguement that connection is the most important aspect, coz i play a friend u lives a cuple of streets away and it gets lag, coz his internet isnt gr8. so maybe accurate pairing of speeds wudb better for the finder...

Nasanieru

Smash Journeyman
yer u can play ppl from other countries. just get their friend code. i agree with the arguement that connection is the most important aspect, coz i play a friend u lives a cuple of streets away and it gets lag, coz his internet isnt gr8. so maybe accurate pairing of speeds wudb better for the finder...
Thanks for the info!!

Top Bottom