• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Request for Critiques (Vids)

DGMavn

Smash Apprentice
Hey y'all,

My college just had a smallish (~32 player) tourney and I have vids of my Olimar against my friend's Lucas/MK in the finals. We're looking for some critiques on both sides, so...do it! Thanks in advance.

Finals 1 DGMavn (Olimar) vs. Arc (Lucas) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPQNEwKcBHU
Finals 2 DGMavn (Olimar) vs. Arc (MK) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXKRKvpxT5o
Break our bad habits, please.

-DGM

Edit: Second vid up, first vid died on me. If the second one dies, I'll just host on rapidshare or some such. Both vids should be up now. Let me know if either of them dies.

Arc-Impulse

Smash Rookie
I'm the person who was playing Lucas in the above video. DGMavn was posting on my behalf. I've yet to find a solid strategy to taking down a skilled Olimar, so any criticism is greatly welcomed. Thanks all!

GofG

Smash Champion
errr... The fact that the video with a lucas in it died makes me wonder what exactly you expect us to critique when there are no lucases available to be watched by us. Imo, post in the Olimar and Metaknight boards, until the other video gets reuploaded.

Levitas

the moon
Arc, your nair is great against olimar. Also, pk fire is super effective against all types of characters.

Arc-Impulse

Smash Rookie
I always have trouble approaching olimar with my nair, however, i haven't played any other olimar players besides DGMavn so it might just be his reaction and frequent spot dodges that throw me off. Whenever I try, I seem to miss him/he makes more distance between us/he waits until I land to do a dsmash.

I tried pk fire and i typically use it pretty frequently against any other character, however in terms of Olimar, it just isn't quick enough IMO. In a blow for blow situation, his pikmin either take the damage of the pk fire or he throws them so quickly that he hits me in between pk fires.

EDIT: If you check the video again, I tried a nair at around 0:25 - perhaps i'm using it wrong, but that's typically the result of me attempting to approach with it.

DGMavn

Smash Apprentice
I agree with the PK fire suggestion - that **** pisses me off. =P

Maybe you should try b-sticking the PK fire if you don't think it's fast enough to give you more room. I know you don't like it, but you charge most of your smashes anyhoo.

DGMavn

Smash Apprentice
Bump for lack of legit advice in respect to Lucas.

I justify this by the fact that nobody has told him to SHWBPKF.

Also double post. Oops.

Firstaidguitar1

Smash Cadet
couple tips:

use shield and dodge more man! Olimar was nailing you with his pikmin in the face over and over again.

the thing about lucas that sets him apart from ness is his pk fire move. use it more frequently, as it provides a significant amount of damage and knockback.

good pk thunder work.

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
I think you used PK thunder well but repetitively, better players familiar with Ness and Lucas will catch on to that and punish you. Beating a camping Olimar is tough because he is short and out-ranges you seriously horizontally, you have to get in tight without taking a lot of hits, and that's all there is to it.

GofG did well with SHFF n-airs into f-tilt to eat up pikmin in his finals match. The worst thing you can do, however, is to inappropriately space yourself so that you can't possibly approach without eating a pikmin, and the second worst is Final Destination, where all of your crap is insanely predictable and one-dimensional, and the only positive strat you have is spamming PK fire.

Also, PK fire doesn't do a lot, but you have GOT to use it in this matchup. Always camp when you're ahead, and if you don't camp back sometimes, then you're putting yourself in a bad spot. Breaking even is better than going into the negatives.

GofG

Smash Champion
...I did what?

In any case, as has been stated before, whenever you aren't doing anything, you should be SHWBPKFing. This is even more important with Olimar, as your PKF will outprioritize his pikmin as they are thrown at you. It's also putting pressure on him. I'd say more, but it's already been said.

Xekonic

Smash Rookie
Lucas is my main in brawl, and i'm no pro, but here's some food for thought.

I'd say do dash attacks. Lucas' dash covers a good distance but has a lot of lag leaving you way open for punishment.

PKF is a great utility move. Use it to create space and/or eat up the pikmin. I SHPKF, but with olimar it's a bit more risky because of his height (necessary on toon link/etc because of shield). Still, more pkf.

Lucas has amazing air game because of his strong horizontal control. Use that to your advantage. I frequently shfair because of Lucas' priority as well.

I also noticed you're not dsmashing much. It's a fast move that can do some solid damage and put some distance between you, opening them up to your air game. Eg: You could have used it around 1:56. Your dsmash hits 3 times, the first of which is very close in front of you, and also hits in back of you (my room mates complain about this all the time), so keep that in mind when a player ends up behind you. The next 2 hits climb further in front of you. Your dmash also has a great priority (and can work out for eating through pikmin at close range).

~2:56 would have been a good time to SHNair. 3:20 would have been a good time to descend with a nair, etc.

PKT can be a great asset to your play. Check out this thread to see how to utilize it a bit more quickly, etc http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=154924

I'd say just throw some more diversity into your play. You did a lot of dash attacks, the predictability came in. Wait through the smash, move in for the punish. Also, the PKT was used quite a bit (and often missed, which is OK as you've got to learn somehow). Using it so frequently will end up leading to a lot of spot dodges, leaving you pretty open.

IDK

Smash Lord
my critique... there were actually a few things i saw. when you use your PKT2 to FF away from your opponent, i would recommend shooting yourself AT him as an attack. it could damage AND KO a lot of the time. but dont do it EVERY time, because you could get predictable, which is common with lucas. also i know the upsmash is laggy but it IS arguably the best upsmash in the game and there were a few opportunities i saw that you probably might have been able to KO. i did like some of your strategies though. haha sorry i forget what its called but when you PKF and sort of do a midair wavedash backwards for distance maybe you should try that. and maybe look at the lucas ATs? i know theyre a little overrated. most of all just practice and dont worry too much about ATs. to learn a character i learn all of his moves and play a couple lv 9s but then fight real people and master the use of their moves. THEN learn ATs. nice fighting though! :)

IDK

Smash Lord
ohhh oops sorry i meant to say one more thing waste of a post to do that but anyway... against olimar all you have to do is spam stuff and stay close to him just keep attacking if you are fast enough. barrage him with EVERYTHING! he will have to be able to dodge very well and attack at the same time. you did an OK job of that. you can also just distance yourself... but thats not as relentless... which is no fun.

Top Bottom