• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reports!

Astellius

Smash Ace
I don't see any threads on this, but it IS something I consider important--and, in the end, it's probably really important to a lot of people! The question here is, What makes you send a report to Nintendo about a player? What do they do that ultimately pushes you over the edge?

Now, maybe this topic already exists; I just haven't seen it. However, all the same, I think it is something that needs to be talked about, since reporting is something people do, and it would be good to get things out in the fresh air, since Nintendo does not say anything every about reporting or whatnot. Basically, since Nintendo doesn't talk about reporting, and the consequences, this is the door for us to talk about it.

Edit: I'll maybe try to update this original post with common problems, so that, if people find it, they can easily know certain types of activities to avoid.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
People with homophobic/Transphobic/Racist tags, mostly on the Wii U. I also tend to report people who purposely try to stall matches by floating from one side to the other of the stage. I don't mind characters zoning me out with projectiles or with pokes (like Marth), but stalling is too much of a cowardly tactic to win a match.

Astellius

Smash Ace
People with homophobic/Transphobic/Racist tags, mostly on the Wii U. I also tend to report people who purposely try to stall matches by floating from one side to the other of the stage. I don't mind characters zoning me out with projectiles or with pokes (like Marth), but stalling is too much of a cowardly tactic to win a match.
I play on the 3DS, but I like to read people's 16-character profile line. Fortunately, the 3DS doesn't have tag-changing, but, all the same, the profile tagline OFTEN has hate speech in it, or disrespectful lines. I generally ignore the childish ones, like "get rekt, nuub," but any with hate speech I report. On the 3DS, you're given 16 characters to give yourself a tagline--I basically have no problem reporting people who write intentionally hateful taglines, regardless of how they played in the match.

In some ways, it's worse on the 3DS, because you only have one spot with 16 characters to put a tag line. Basically, people who use those 16 characters to create a racist/sexist/homophobic or any other form of hate speech are people I don't want to play with.

...As for complete stalling of matches, I agree, unless the stalling seems reasonable. For example, if you have a minute left, and you're about to die, it seems reasonable to try to push for sudden death. That seems like a viable tactic. But yeah, I complained in another topic (about playing honorably), where people would stall just when they started to lose. Those become annoying and tiring really quickly. All the same, I don't report those people.

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
I only report people that use profanity for tags. I mean come on dude, kids play this game. I don't report for any annoying playstyles - there's nothing reportable about it, I just don't like it.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I don't really report anyone at all since day one unless it's those that uses their game tags to throw out profanities and such, which is something I rarely see from my experience.

Zaabrey

Smash Apprentice
I once reported a Bowser who chased and suicided (Bowsercide) me continuously in For Glory FFA.

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
I once reported a Bowser who chased and suicided (Bowsercide) me continuously in For Glory FFA.
Ugh, people like you are part of this problem. Even when I called Nintendo about the ban problem, the guy I spoke with thought the rule against targeting a single player was silly and that you wouldn't find that on xbox or Sony.
He sounded like a cool guy and really understood the frustration of the being banned for simply being reported.

And here we have you, who could either have left the room or get good and counter that bowser. But instead you chose to report. Good for you. It's like P.E. sports where they have to baby the teams. "Make sure everyone scores at least once before scoring twice". Instead of just letting the kids play sports, teachers feel the need to create all sorts of rules so that we create this artificial sense of "fair". Same with Smash.

If people are having taunt parties, find another room. If people are targetting only you, find another room.

Unlike Brawl, who's pathetic excuse for an online was the reason why taunt parties and target trolling became a thing, Smash 4 is so popular and new, with its functional online, you will find another room with people willing to play fair.

But this whole "play a certain way or you're breaking the rules" is so lame. Just let people play how they want. If they're not hacking or playing unfair, let it be. If they target one player, they should be allowed to do that. That's not cheating. It's well within the limits of the game. Anything you could do in the game offline, you should be able to do online.

Last edited:

Zaabrey

Smash Apprentice
P pollo20x6

Okay, I'm going to try explain my situation further and counter this post as best as possible. Probably not the best, but here goes. Quote on Quote.

Ugh, people like you are part of this problem. Even when I called Nintendo about the ban problem, the guy I spoke with thought the rule against targeting a single player was silly and that you wouldn't find that on xbox or Sony.
He sounded like a cool guy and really understood the frustration of the being banned for simply being reported.
So, I'm simply the problem for just reporting someone who would rather chase me the entire two minute match, and ignores the rest of the two in For Glory FFA? Even when I throw in some good hits and ignore him so I can fight the other two, but he STILL comes after me whatever reason that troll has? Okay, do me a favor. Since I know now that reporting players aren't as effective based on what YOU mentioned, give your Nintendo friend a call back and have him go to the higher ups to remove that feature. I'm not being sarcastic at all. For a long time, I've always wondered if that even worked. On and off I would report players, but lately I just catch myself blocking them. By the way, this incident happened over the Summer. I spend most of my time in FG singles than FG FFA anyway.

And here we have you, who could either have left the room or get good and counter that bowser. But instead you chose to report. Good for you. It's like P.E. sports where they have to baby the teams. "Make sure everyone scores at least once before scoring twice". Instead of just letting the kids play sports, teachers feel the need to create all sorts of rules so that we create this artificial sense of "fair". Same with Smash.
Lol. After going through the match, I DID leave the room and I DID eventually sought out help with a family member who was good at playing Bowser and went a few matches with me so I'll know what to do next time. Yeah, it sucked that I couldn't do anything about it at that moment when the match happened, but whatever. And yes, I know I could've just drop the match, but I'm not down to be penalized for 10 minutes. By the way, the whole "good for you" comment, nice sarcasm. Now if only I can come up with a better comment about the whole teacher setting up artificial rules, and not letting the kids play like they should. But I got nothing except maybe teachers enforce rules and "positive" sports play for the sake of the kids parents, and not worry about any potential rough-housing.

If people are having taunt parties, find another room. If people are targetting only you, find another room.
Like I mentioned earlier, I did leave the room. Either it be taunt party or someone just being a downright troll. I normally do when stuff like this happens. One match is all I am giving and I'm done.

Unlike Brawl, who's pathetic excuse for an online was the reason why taunt parties and target trolling became a thing, Smash 4 is so popular and new, with its functional online, you will find another room with people willing to play fair.
Trust me, I know. A lot of times when I run into rooms like taunt parties and such, I'll leave after the match. It's how I got into competitive Smash in the first place in part 4 of the Smash installment (I did not play Brawl online). For Fun FFA is full of trolls.

But this whole "play a certain way or you're breaking the rules" is so lame. Just let people play how they want. If they're not hacking or playing unfair, let it be. If they target one player, they should be allowed to do that. That's not cheating. It's well within the limits of the game. Anything you could do in the game offline, you should be able to do online.
The guy sorta was playing unfair, but hell, it's the internet. And although I agree that targeting a player is NOT cheating, it is considered grief-play. By the way, this thread was all about people who admitted to who they report or what their reasons for reporting. I decided to write my situation a long story short yet out of everyone here, you decided to get on me (I guess because everyone here went through a lot of insults from their opponents nametag). It's one thing to voice out your frustrations, but next time you have a personal issue with what I say, just send me a pm. I'm respectful. Nowadays when I run into incompetent players, either I teach them a lesson on the spot or if I lose miserably, I just leave and block them.

Alright, to everyone else, I apologize for writing such a huge wall of text. I was going to take this to pms, but I thought it would be better if I just say it right then and there in case someone else thinks what I am doing is also silly. Just felt the need to explain myself. I know that as long as I play Smash online, it is going to keep happening, no matter what. But I enjoy Smash online. A LOT. So I am not going to leave because someone decided to troll me, or over some few other incidents I've experienced.

Last edited:

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
I've always been the kind to only report for the particularly aggressive tag changers. As far as I'm concerned, a person plays how they want to play, they shouldn't get reported for that. If you're annoyed that someone is beating you by spamming just a couple moves, tough. Their strategy is beating yours. They are objectively better, even if their plan is much simpler and/or less fun for you. Either adapt and improve to deal with it, or move on.

You could technically make the same choice of play argument for tags between matches, but with tags you really need to put some effort into being deliberately unkind. When it comes to how they fight, they might just actually think that's the best they can do at their skill level.

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
I've always been the kind to only report for the particularly aggressive tag changers. As far as I'm concerned, a person plays how they want to play, they shouldn't get reported for that. If you're annoyed that someone is beating you by spamming just a couple moves, tough. Their strategy is beating yours. They are objectively better, even if their plan is much simpler and/or less fun for you. Either adapt and improve to deal with it, or move on.

You could technically make the same choice of play argument for tags between matches, but with tags you really need to put some effort into being deliberately unkind. When it comes to how they fight, they might just actually think that's the best they can do at their skill level.
And tags can actually be offensive. Like curse words. There is nothing offensive about targetting one player or spamming.

P pollo20x6
Since I know now that reporting players aren't as effective based on what YOU mentioned, give your Nintendo friend a call back and have him go to the higher ups to remove that feature. I'm not being sarcastic at all.
Calls the Nintendo rep my friend. Claims he's not being sarcastic.

Right...

Last edited:

Astellius

Smash Ace
Zaabrey Zaabrey I'll just start off by thanking you; the whole point of this thread is to be informative for everyone. While, of course, there won't be agreement on what should be reported, we should be able to talk about what we do report, and also, why. I do understand where pollo20x6 is coming from, but I do think your position is wholly defensible. For the person playing the Bowser, they were probably just aiming to be silly or stupid by Bowserciding all the match. But, for the repeat target, this probably would be pretty annoying.

For pollo20x6, I do understand your point as well, but, basically, whether or not one agrees with what other people report, it's good to know what is reported. At some point, we were all new to this game, this series, etc. Sometimes we forget what it's like to be new, and so just playing to be stupid or silly sometimes can come across as extremely annoying to someone who becomes a target for that kind of play.

As to what reports do (and maybe I should add this to the initial post?), if a person accumulates enough reports, they get banned to a separate server for banned people. Basically, it's a sort of hell for Smash players. It's a place where you can find the spammiest of the spammers, those who lag switch all the time, those who taunt and/or teabag all the time, etc.--if you're lucky enough to be paired up with someone before your patience runs out from waiting.

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
Zaabrey Zaabrey I'll just start off by thanking you; the whole point of this thread is to be informative for everyone. While, of course, there won't be agreement on what should be reported, we should be able to talk about what we do report, and also, why. I do understand where pollo20x6 is coming from, but I do think your position is wholly defensible. For the person playing the Bowser, they were probably just aiming to be silly or stupid by Bowserciding all the match. But, for the repeat target, this probably would be pretty annoying.

For pollo20x6, I do understand your point as well, but, basically, whether or not one agrees with what other people report, it's good to know what is reported. At some point, we were all new to this game, this series, etc. Sometimes we forget what it's like to be new, and so just playing to be stupid or silly sometimes can come across as extremely annoying to someone who becomes a target for that kind of play.

As to what reports do (and maybe I should add this to the initial post?), if a person accumulates enough reports, they get banned to a separate server for banned people. Basically, it's a sort of hell for Smash players. It's a place where you can find the spammiest of the spammers, those who lag switch all the time, those who taunt and/or teabag all the time, etc.--if you're lucky enough to be paired up with someone before your patience runs out from waiting.
The game will tell you if you've been targeting a single player and explicitly ban you. Like when you quit mid-match. The game will tell you what you did and give you a countdown timer.

So Zaabrey basically reported another player and potentially banned him because he perceived him as annoying.

You can't defend that salty, childish move. If he really broke the rules, Nintendo would ban him and considering reports are clearly not reviewed, Zaabrey might have banned this other player for no reason.

Because let's say Zaabrey was right and Nintendo banned him. Fine. But if Nintendo didn't ban him, Zaabrey reported him. And if Nintendo did ban the bowser, why report him?

And why stop there? Spamming and camping could be considered "not actively playing". Let's report them too, even though those are legitimate strategies.

And yeah, for some people Smash is new.
But why ruin the experience for others?
If the guy is messing around, being silly with Bowsercide, who are we to tell him how to play? It doesn't matter how new we are, we should not be reporting people for such pointless reasons. If he targets one person, well, that's his call. Find another room, but don't report. Why report if Nintendo already has a system designed to punish that? If you report and he didn't break any rules, you're punishing someone just because they annoyed you. Real mature.

Astellius

Smash Ace
Okay, now, let's keep civil, and let's also not use slippery slope fallacies. If Nintendo could catch all the bad types of play, then there would be no need for reporting. Yes, Nintendo does set some limits on how we play, but, ultimately, we are largely left to our own designs for play.

Yes, Pollo, I know that that Bowser was being silly or stupid with the Bowserciding. However, that sort of play is more appropriate in the "For Fun" arena, as, well, it's a sort of stupid sort of play (okay, incredibly silly/stupid). In this instance, it comes across as griefing, and, really, I don't know how an automated system by Nintendo could catch it. How could an automated system distinguish between intentional Bowsercides and mistake Bowsercides? The griefing and self-destruct kicks are set VERY high, so, actually, reporting becomes much more effective than any pre-programmed punishments for those type of behaviors.

All in all, I will say that I think that the Bowser ends up as a griefer, and griefing is against Nintendo's rules. Why stop at Bowsercide, and not include super-spammers? Well, as a starting point, spam does not cause the person to die immediately.

I guess the important question is this: Who are we to tell others how to play? Well, we are the people they play against. This is actually a somewhat self-defining sort of community. We have some limits imposed by Nintendo automatically, but not too many.

If that Bowser got banned to the shadow realm for that match, it's because he already accumulated enough people who said he should be banned. Did Zaabrey report him for "nothing?" No, it falls under "griefing," I would think. Do I think that Bowser should have been reported? No, probably not. But do I understand why the Bowser was reported? Yes.

Everything considered, I think it's probably important for people to know that they might get a ban mark if they repeatedly Bowsercide in an FFA match.

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
In this instance, it comes across as griefing, and, really, I don't know how an automated system by Nintendo could catch it.
I don't know, but it does

If Nintendo's own system didn't catch the other player, then it's all subjective.
We can't be a self-defining community because what if someone decides spamming is a reportable offense?
And yeah, you said spamming doesn't kill, well, that's the thing, Bowsercide is not that easy a move to spam.
You miss and you can easily be countered.
Yet Zaabrey, who knew the other player was only using that move, couldn't find a way to get over it. So his resolution was to report the guy. That's the problem with a self-defining community.

If that Bowser got banned to the shadow realm for that match, it's because he already accumulated enough people who said he should be banned.
I got banned and all I play is 1 v 1 For Glory mode. I don't insult. I don't T-bag. I don't even like to taunt because I think it's embarrassing to then lose, so I refrain from it. I accumulated reports for doing nothing but playing the game.

Point is, a self-defining community takes into account salty players opinions.
If Bowser was griefing and only targeting one player, the game would have banned him.
But what if he wasn't griefing? What if he found that Zaabrey was such an easy target to pull off such a difficult thing? Bowserciding is not easy thing to pull off constantly. It's like, who wouldn't do that if they're just going to walk into it?
Take advantage of the moment.
And in between Boswerciding, he would get in the occasional punch or two on others players, thus not breaking the "targeting only one player rule"

So let's say, for that one match, he pulled off multiple Bowsercides and then switched characters right after Zaabrey reported and left the room (after all, he did say he left the room).
The game would add a report to his profile for something that may have been well within the game's rules.

That's the problem with the report system.
It's a he said, she said problem that favors the complainer. Zaabrey does not have to prove that the Bowser broke any rules and that is why people like him are part of this problem. It's a form of anarchy.
If you think you're being bullied, even if you're not, you're free to report. Don't like spammers? Report. Don't like being Taunted? Report. Don't like losing? Report. Don't like being Bowsercide, a move that isn't that difficult to avoid? Report.

This self-defining community favors the opinions of the worst players because the better players won't report as often. They'll only report for real offenses, like racial slurs in the tags.
But anyone who perceived PK Fire spam as a "cheap move" can report or anyone targeted by one of the worst characters in the game can report.

Get good or just leave if you really can't figure out how to get around Bowserciding spam. Don't report. They may have done nothing wrong and you might have just been an easy target. And if going after the easiest target is against the rules, well, there's that hand holding artificial "fair" Nintendo clearly wants to implement into this self-defining community. Like I said in an earlier post, even the Nintendo rep I called after being banned thought the rule of targeting one player was ridiculous. Nintendo's own employees criticize it's rules.

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
First things first, being reported seems to send you in banland to fight against either other really good player, offensive people or laggy matches (okay latter two sucks). 1/3 of the matches if what you strife for so it isn't so bad right? Basically in hindsight this report system seems like a matchmaker(somewhat).

I got banned and all I play is 1 v 1 For Glory mode. I don't insult. I don't T-bag. I don't even like to taunt because I think it's embarrassing to then lose, so I refrain from it. I accumulated reports for doingnothing but playing the game.
I have a winrate of ~70% in the last 100 matches and didn't get ban once, I bet there are even better examples with >80% who didn't get banned. I wonder how other people like you manage to do that by simply """"doing nothing"""".
Also embrace it, as you did nothing wrong, enjoy the hard matches you'll get. (okay lag/insult sux that's a legit complain):227:

1FC0

Smash Lord
I am all for free speech so I do not report because of profanities or hate speech. And I am not deluded enough to think that I should dictate how other people play so I also do not report based on playstyle.

I have reported twice though, one time mostly to test it out (though I did wait for someone with lag to test it out on) and the other time for the lag which was insane.

TheBlackLuffy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheBlackLuffy
Switch FC
8040 1413 9929
Oh get over your self. If you're that easily offended don't play Smash. The Bowser did nothing but play the game.

Its not greifing. It's Smash Bros. Its a FREE FOR ALL.

Last edited:

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
I have a winrate of ~70% in the last 100 matches and didn't get ban once, I bet there are even better examples with >80% who didn't get banned. I wonder how other people like you manage to do that by simply """"doing nothing"""".
Also embrace it, as you did nothing wrong, enjoy the hard matches you'll get. (okay lag/insult sux that's a legit complain):227:
No. I'm not going to "embrace it" until Nintendo tells me what I did wrong, which they wouldn't.

My experience with banland was not fun at all. It wasn't just better players and offensive douchebags.

It was the same people over and over again. I could run into a guy a full day after I ran into him already.
On average, if I left a room and came back, I'd connect with the same guy like two, three, sometimes even four times. And it would take longer than the usual 3 seconds to find anyone.

Watch this video that I made if you don't believe me. This is all the proof I need
https://youtu.be/6TzHYCtEwQA

And I never did anything to warrant being banned and if I did, I would love to know what exactly I did to avoid ever doing that thing again.

I was playing last night as Mr. Game & Watch against a Donkey Kong.
After really wrecking the guy (instead of learning to recover from low, guy didn't seem to get that recovering high would just lead to a Chef attack and follow ups).
It was bad. Guy couldn't do anything.

When I beat him, the game normally shows the opponent as "Viewing Results" and then it changes to "Choosing Fighter".
From there, people can quit, right?
Well this guy did one of three things. His icon went straight from "Viewing Results" to gone. He either turned his Wii U off at the results screen, blocked me, or reported me.
I'm not sure if reporting automatically removes you from the match, but I'm pretty sure blocking does.
But from what I've seen on forums, I see recommendations to report AND block.

I should not have to hold my breath and hope I didn't play against some salty brat. This system is beyond broken.

At least if I do get banned again, I know with 100% certainty that I didn't do anything. I've made the conscious effort to not do ANYTHING that could be seen as offensive. No dash-dancing. No running off the stage after a star KO ftw. No taunting. Nothing. I just play like a robot now. The moment they're definitely KOd, I just put down the controller.

I would also like to add that we shouldn't report for lag.
Lag is a two way street.
Two people with decent connections may encounter each other at the same time and encounter lag they normally wouldn't.
So while it's easy to blame the other player, it isn't always their fault.

Last edited:

Astellius

Smash Ace
Hello again everyone!

Long post short, I'll talk about different issues under different headings. There will be a TL:DR at the end.

BOWSERCIDERS
Just to make another point on the Bowsercide issue, I'd also like to point out that, in FFA, repeat Bowsercides can not only ruin the match for a player that is specifically targeted, but it can also ruin the match for everyone else in the room. The person who does the Bowsercide does not get credit for the Bowsercide, unless the Bowser was the last person to damage to the person that was subjected to the Bowsercide. Moreover, the last person to do damage to the Bowser gets the credit for the KO of Bowser.

Basically, the main point (at least for me) is that the continuous Bowserciding of one person (or, well, just in general) in a For Glory FFA essentially destroys the match for all other players in the room. If you want to do this sort of thing, do it in For Fun, because, well, what you are doing is precisely done just for fun. Bowserciding in For Glory 1v1 or 2v2 is completely different, if only for the effect it has on the match with respect to every other player in the room. The repeat Bowserciding is something suitable for a For Fun FFA room, but not a For Glory one. Part of having two modes is to separate people who want mess around from those who want to play the game seriously.

Moving away from the Bowsercide....

BANLAND, AKA THE SHADOWSERVER, ETC.
Thanks Pollo for sharing your experience in the Smash Shadowserver! For some reason, some people have suggested that being sent to the shadow realm might be fun, in that you might only fight "good" players. Er... What? From what I know, the MOST LIKELY people to end up on the shadowserver are super spammy, super laggy (including lag switchers), and super arrogant. If that is your definition of 'fun,' go for it. For some reason, people seem to think that people are sometimes sent here for being too good--but really, when has THAT actually happened?

One advantage of this reporting system is that, well, it's not immediately obvious how to report someone. I don't know how it is on the Wii, but on the 3DS, it is not obvious at all. This, at least, saves us from an influx of users reporting simply because they lost.

But, perhaps more importantly, is that the Banland is designed NOT to be fun or enjoyable. Do you get "good" matches? No, probably not. You'll repeat matches with, well, the worst of the worst, at least in terms of conduct and respect.

BEING BETTER
One thing that Pollo points out is this: being in the Banland sucks. After spending time in the Banland, Pollo has said he would rather not go back there, and has gone to certain lengths to avoid being sent back there. Actually, being sent to the Banland is, well, any true smasher's worst nightmare. Imagine a world where most of the players are spammy and laggy, and also a place where it's rare to encounter another person.

And then you encounter a good player...

But they reveal themselves to be utterly arrogant, and have no reservations about being insulting or rude to you, or asserting somehow that they are superior...

Oh, that sounds fun to some people? How very... ignorant... inconsiderate?

One thing I note about the Ban Server is this: I have NEVER heard anyone ever say they liked it there. Basically, it's a horrible experience, and it DOES cause people to reform their ways, at least sometimes.

FINAL THOUGHTS AKA TL;DR
Don't ruin matches for people in For Glory; there's a whole type of play for people who want to mess around, and it's called, "For Fun."

Report only when something is wrong. Because being sent to the Banland for two weeks sucks for people who want to play the game.

EDIT, part of TL;DR
Talking about reports is important, because, well, we don't always know what causes other people to report, and talking about reports can cause us to think about the reports we do send.

Last edited:

TheBlackLuffy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheBlackLuffy
Switch FC
8040 1413 9929
I just want to point out that reporting some one for some self righteous ideology that reporting someone for playing For Fun how they want is insanely unfair and truly kills the "For Fun" part of For fun.

If I wanna charge my Shadow Ball up and shoot it to a Villager who I know is going to pocket it and he's going to throw it at one of the two people. I have every right to do that. Am I helping him win? Sure. But who the heck cares? It's Smash Bros. It's Random Button Mashing. Its a God forsaken FFA. If you can't take one person targeting you than go play 1v1's.

Because it's gonna happen.

You're punishing people for playing a game how you personally don't like to play it when that's the biggest **** move you can do. Nintendo already does it by having people get disconnected for targeting one person.

But if said person wants to do that, let them.

"Oh this guy hit me with a Charge Shot and not the other guy! I'm gonna Report him!"

So because you've been an easy target he's in trouble. No. Get over your self. Like really.

Last edited:

Rashyboy05

Your Average Touhou fan~
3DS FC
4570-8659-2698
I honestly don't see the issue in Bowserciding in FFA For Glory. Like, what is even the point in complaining? Bowsercides are stage dependent on who wins or lose unlike Ganoncides where its clear that Ganon wins. So if you get Bowsercided constantly then there is a high chance that Bowsercider lost so that means easy wins for you.

Astellius

Smash Ace
Okay, let's just move on from the Bowserciding in FFA For Glory, as I feel that's already been discussed enough here and it's definitely derailing the main subject matter of this thread.

I just want to point out that reporting some one for some self righteous ideology that reporting someone for playing For Fun how they want is insanely unfair and truly kills the "For Fun" part of For fun.
I agree; in fact, I honestly can't think of anything off the top of my head that I think can really be justifiably reported in the For Fun modes. One of the reasons there are two modes is to create a place where people can do silly or nonsensical things, such as have taunt parties, without disrupting matches for people who want to fight. Does anyone ACTUALLY report things in the For Fun side?

So, what else do people report? Also, what sorts of things do you think other people are most likely to report (even if it's not something you would report)? I think that excessive spam and excessive taunting/crouching are probably the things most likely to get reported.

Peff

Smash Cadet
I've never reported anyone, because it's a game and I really just do not care when I can just easily leave and find someone else.

I actually didn't even know there was a way to report someone. Maybe I'll report the annoying arrogant buttheads. That would be the only thing I would report someone for.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
Hello again everyone!

Long post short, I'll talk about different issues under different headings. There will be a TL:DR at the end.

BANLAND, AKA THE SHADOWSERVER, ETC.
Thanks Pollo for sharing your experience in the Smash Shadowserver! For some reason, some people have suggested that being sent to the shadow realm might be fun, in that you might only fight "good" players. Er... What? From what I know, the MOST LIKELY people to end up on the shadowserver are super spammy, super laggy (including lag switchers), and super arrogant. If that is your definition of 'fun,' go for it. For some reason, people seem to think that people are sometimes sent here for being too good--but really, when has THAT actually happened?

One advantage of this reporting system is that, well, it's not immediately obvious how to report someone. I don't know how it is on the Wii, but on the 3DS, it is not obvious at all. This, at least, saves us from an influx of users reporting simply because they lost.

But, perhaps more importantly, is that the Banland is designed NOT to be fun or enjoyable. Do you get "good" matches? No, probably not. You'll repeat matches with, well, the worst of the worst, at least in terms of conduct and respect.
ok i do have to point out on this one, it is true howver that *SOME* people are getting sent to banland just from being too good at the game. Yes the other types of players, the trolls, laggers, etc, are more common, but there are still some legitimately highly skilled players who get sent there because some salty players got too angry over losing so badly against em. A player who completely destroys his opponent by two stocking him and either taking no damage, or very little damage, and does so by reading his opponent like a book, and/or putting him in extreme frame traps and combos, is almost always guaranteed to get reported by his opponent. He may never taunt, teabag, or act cocky in general in the match, but from the sheer fact that he so massively outplayed his opponent, they report him for it.

IT does happen, you might not want to believe it, but it does happen. Now it is also true that some folks might like banland a bit *just* cuz they're still more likely to play good players like that in banland then normal play. again they still have to tolerate a lot of garbage trolls and laggers, but their possibility of running into someone who was sent there from just being overwhelmingly good is still higher then normal for glory. Personally its still a lousy system because matchups against other players should be based on win %'s of both players as opposed to random, and we shouldn't be allowed to report anyone for anything, but the main point is, banland still gets players sent to it who have done nothing wrong, and have only been sent there from heavily outplaying their opponent.

so while you're likely to run into more trolls, laggy players, and arrogant assholes in banland, you ARE also still more likely to run into a highly skilled player as well.

Last edited:

Astellius

Smash Ace
IT does happen, you might not want to believe it, but it does happen.
I didn't say that it never happens. I simply don't think that it happens nearly so often as people claim it does. Moreover, people sent to the banland often feel some sort of need to justify themselves ("I wanted a challenge!," "I did nothing wrong, I got sent here JUST because I'm good!," etc.). And, really, just how desperate does one need to be for a challenge to seek going to the banlands? If someone really and desperately wants a challenge, the banlands is not the place to go.

Bee86

Smash Rookie
NNID
beebianchini
3DS FC
2294-5166-9137
I only ever reported someone once, and it's because my opponent in FG was switching between very sexually suggestive nametags in an attempt to communicate with me, which was pretty gross.

Astellius

Smash Ace
I only ever reported someone once, and it's because my opponent in FG was switching between very sexually suggestive nametags in an attempt to communicate with me, which was pretty gross.
Yeah, that is pretty gross and definitely, in my opinion, is something that should be reported. Reporting really isn't good enough to solve that sort of problem, but there's not much more that really can be done about THOSE sort of people...

NextPain

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nextpain
Just asking has their been a case of someone getting banned because of hacks (not the peach glitch of day 1)

Top Bottom