• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Replace Roy with Chrono

Yarg the Pirate

Smash Apprentice
My two cents for what to do with the swordsmen. Roy is (sorry Roy fans) just not able to stand up to the pure awesomeness of Chrono, and we can't have two redheaded swordsmen in the game. Chrono is a much more popular character overall than Roy, as well. This opens up the door for other Fire Emblem characters. I think Ayra would be a good fit, since Nintendo is most likely searching for a few more good female characters.

Also - Luminaire for Super Smash attack? Come on.... you can't turn that down.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
If Roy is replaced, it will be with Hector or another Fire Emblem character, is Square chooses one of their characters to go in this, it will be Geno.

Aiser

Smash Lord
Or Geno and Chrono ;)

Square needs to stop whoring Final Fantasy, giving Chrono publicity like being in a smash game might spark intrest in him and the fans can finally have another chrono game.. D:

/end useless fanboy wish.

Mephisto

Smash Rookie
I agree. Add Crono and maybe even Frog, then you could have a double-tech for the special. :)

SR7884

Smash Apprentice
Ying tong ying tong ying tong ying tong ying tong
I've heard that Chrono Trigger is supposed to be the best console RPG ever.....I haven't played it (and can't get it in the UK) so I can't judge that yet....but if it is true than they should expose it more.....

but Crono is a more interesting addition than Cloud, imo....

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Yarg the Pirate said:
My two cents for what to do with the swordsmen. Roy is (sorry Roy fans) just not able to stand up to the pure awesomeness of Chrono, and we can't have two redheaded swordsmen in the game. Chrono is a much more popular character overall than Roy, as well. This opens up the door for other Fire Emblem characters. I think Ayra would be a good fit, since Nintendo is most likely searching for a few more good female characters.

Also - Luminaire for Super Smash attack? Come on.... you can't turn that down.
You Hairest *******!

If square chose a character they would choose Geno if they got to choose 2 characters then they would either choose Geno and Mallow or Geno and some FF character

Super Mario RPG > Chrono Trigger

DSB

Smash Apprentice
Geno and Mallow is a bit too much. But could everyone agree on Geno and Crono as the best Square representatives for Brawl ?

Mephisto

Smash Rookie
xianfeng said:
You Hairest *******!

If square chose a character they would choose Geno if they got to choose 2 characters then they would either choose Geno and Mallow or Geno and some FF character

I think you mean YOU would choose Geno and Mallow, not Square. >.>

DSB

Smash Apprentice
Do you think Crono might appeal to Dragon Quest fans ?

Aiser

Smash Lord
xianfeng said:
You Hairest *******!

And thats why Chrono Trigger is one of the greatest games of all time and Super Mario RPG isnt?

icymatt

Smash Lord
Aiser said:
And thats why Chrono Trigger is one of the greatest games of all time and Super Mario RPG isnt?
They're both one of the greatest games ever made.

Aiser

Smash Lord
icymatt said:
They're both one of the greatest games ever made.
Lack of checking other sources killed me on this xP Its number five on gamefaq so I stand corrected.

But still Chrono Trigger > Super Mario RPG.

DSB

Smash Apprentice
ZMan said:
Roy > Chrono
ROFLMAO Crono ***** Roy in fighting and popularity. Comparing Roy to Crono is like comparing some random Dragon Quest character to Cloud.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
DSB said:
ROFLMAO Crono ***** Roy in fighting and popularity. Comparing Roy to Crono is like comparing some random Dragon Quest character to Cloud.
If I may... Dragon Quest is WAAAAYYY more popular than Final Fantasy in Japan. Most Japanese people would probably turn that around and say that Eight from DQ8 could kick Cloud's sorry *** all around the place.

I know it's irrelevent, but I'm just keeping you honest.

piZ

Smash Journeyman
Results 1 - 10 of about 58,900 for Super Mario RPG Geno. (0.13 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 90,000 for Chrono Trigger Crono. (0.24 seconds)

Seeing as google is taking over the internet, i had to.

I agree that Crono > Roy, but still Glen > *

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
I came up with this idea...as an offhand suggestion. Funny how it bloomed.

Anyway

Frog>Crono>Geno.

I was really only supporting Geno because he was the last great thing to happen between Square and Nintendo. And because he was a symbol of the SNES era of good feelings between the two companies. Or you could see him as a symbol of their break-up since SMRPG was what started the whole feud.

Anyway, considering there are only 1-2 third party slots. I'd be happy with a Crono-esque alternate costume for Roy. I'd also be content with no Chrono reference at all. Because really, putting Chrono in would promote the readily available FF-Chronicles more than the rather rare Chrono Trigger. And I think Square and Sony are still making money on FF-Chronicles, so...

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Ok, I'm not going to compare Roy, Crono, Geno, and Frog but I'm actually going to say something on-topic.

Roy shouldn't be replaced with Crono because Crono's fighting style is much different. They have different swords and Crono is faster. I don't think Roy will be appearing in SSBB but if Square was represented, it would be Geno because that's what SSB fans want the most from them.

Aiser

Smash Lord
Marshigio said:
Roy shouldn't be replaced with Crono because Crono's fighting style is much different. They have different swords and Crono is faster. I don't think Roy will be appearing in SSBB but if Square was represented, it would be Geno because that's what SSB fans want the most from them.
Eh, Roys sword style is far more different then Marths yet he's a clone..=\

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Sakurai said there won't be as many clones.(I think he said something like that, I don't have the link but I think he said there wouldn't be because they have more time now)

Sure Crono could be a clone but he could be so much more if they put him in.(which they won't)

Aiser

Smash Lord
Thats not what I ment..=\

You were basically saying Roy shouldn't be replaced by Crono because they're sword style isn't alike, I'm point out that it doesn't matter since Marth and Roy are clones yet they're style is nothing alike in their respected games.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Errr no, you guys are getting mixed up which game is the best and which isn't. This idea is silly, Geno > Crono.

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Yarg the Pirate said:
Sorry, but anyone who thinks Super Mario RPG was a better game than Chrono Trigger is silly.
Absolutely. Super Mario RPG was good when I was a kid but I recently replayed it and realized how simple and childish the plot was.

Chrono Trigger had a much deeper, more dramatic, and better-planned story. Not to mention a better battle system with team techs and a wider variety of spells, accesories, AND better original characters. All in all, it was superior in every way one RPG can be superior to another. The only thing SMRPG possibly has above Chrono Trigger is Mario who inspires a sheepish loyalty in certain individuals.

Really Super Mario RPG was your basic RPG dumbed down for a younger audience. Sure it had some interesting battle devices and it was the first to use an actual 3d interface but, Chrono Trigger was Square's SNES masterpiece. Not SMRPG.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
When did anyone say SMRPG was better than Chrono Trigger? If you're talking to me I said I liked Geno more than Crono. CT > SMRPG but Geno > Crono, that's just my opinion.

For whoever said Earthbound > CT > SMRPG....you're terribly mistaken.

Roy doesn't look at all like Crono, and it'd be a dissapointment if he didn't have his own movest.

Resting Fox, why isn't your name green anymore?

Top Bottom