• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Replace Roy with Chrono

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
Marshigio said:
When did anyone say SMRPG was better than Chrono Trigger? If you're talking to me I said I liked Geno more than Crono. CT > SMRPG but Geno > Crono, that's just my opinion.

For whoever said Earthbound > CT > SMRPG....you're terribly mistaken.

Roy doesn't look at all like Crono, and it'd be a dissapointment if he didn't have his own movest.

Resting Fox, why isn't your name green anymore?
If you say earthbound doesn't pwn then you obviously haven't played it. It is the best RPG i've ever played. Chrono Trigger automatically loses to earthbound, because the guy who made Dragonball Z made the art for it. (Even though its a fun game)

Aiser

Smash Lord
Super Smash Master said:
If you say earthbound doesn't pwn then you obviously haven't played it. It is the best RPG i've ever played. Chrono Trigger automatically loses to earthbound, because the guy who made Dragonball Z made the art for it. (Even though its a fun game)
.... You just bashed a living legend...... How can honestly say Chrono Trigger is bad because Akira Toriyama did the art? ..... o_o

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
.... You just bashed a living legend...... How can honestly say Chrono Trigger is bad because Akira Toriyama did the art? ..... o_o
How is Akira Toriyama a living legend? Everything he did sucked. Dragonball Z was subpar. Dr. Slump is just god awful. His drawing style is simplistic and his story telling skills are lacking. I actually like Chrono Trigger, but I don't like Akira Toriyama. If you want to see a living legend, you should look up Takeshi Obata's work. His art style is amazing. Especially look up Death Note.

Aiser

Smash Lord
Super Smash Master said:
How is Akira Toriyama a living legend? Everything he did sucked. Dragonball Z was subpar. Dr. Slump is just god awful. His drawing style is simplistic and his story telling skills are lacking. I actually like Chrono Trigger, but I don't like Akira Toriyama. If you want to see a living legend, you should look up Takeshi Obata's work. His art style is amazing. Especially look up Death Note.
It sucks? LOL really now?

See in order to suck you have to not be good, and acroding to all time Sales thats just not true, I'd also like to point out that One piece and Naruto are series that were heavly influenced by Akira Toriyama where are they? Ope in the top 5

Aiser

Smash Lord
Roy isn't first, hes second party.

and also Chrono doesn't really look all the similar to goku, Similar facial qualities but thats to be expected with a anime.

Aiser

Smash Lord
Eternal phoenix Fire said:
Oh...oops,i feel stupid.But why replace him??I like him more tham marth,but he is not as easy to play with.
make room for other characters? who knows lol.

zombie7775

Smash Lord
I really dont want to see Roy go. He is my favorite character and I would like to see him come back with just a few moves changed so he isnt like Marth anymore. I wouldnt mind having more new characters but not in place of Roy.

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
You see, that argument is stupid, as SUPER SMASH BROS is 2nd party.

It is not being developed by Nintendo, but by Sora (Formerly Hal Labs). There
are 1st party characters IN THERE, but if the game is 2nd Party, that makes The 1st party
characters 2nd Party just the same as the other 2nd Parties, so the only 1st parties
would be Kirby characters. I'm confusing myself.

But seriously, Pokemon is 2nd Party, Fire Emblem is 2nd Party, as are Mario Party
and Metroid.

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
On Topic: I have no problem with chrono replacing roy, in fact he should. Chrono could bring a different style of sword play along with some magic techs like a ice sword or flame sword attack. He should be as agile as sheik and should be as quick as marth. Plus chrono trigger has many, many fans that feel the game should be represented. Plus how could you argue luminaire as a super smash atack?

Off Topic: Of course chrono trigger was better than super mario rpg. Why was that even a discussion. CT= more in depth story, unique and original characters, better techniques, lots of tech combinations, better boss battles, multiple endings (as long a certain condiotions were met).
SMRPG=.........Mario game?
At what level do these two games actually compete?

Aiser

Smash Lord
You're an idiot, Metriod isn't Second Party also Brawl is being developed by Nintendo it was originally made by hal labs which is a sub company of Nintendo its barely a second party game.
edit: everyone knows CT > SMRPG. =O

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
I'm tired of this, CT > SMRPG is an OPINION, not fact. How the hell does saying CT > SMRPG convince anyone that Crono should replace Roy?

I say no, simply because there are other 3rd party characters I want in, INCLUDING one from SMRPG(although it's debatable if he's 3rd party or not)

Aiser

Smash Lord
Marshigio said:
I'm tired of this, CT > SMRPG is an OPINION, not fact. How the hell does saying CT > SMRPG convince anyone that Crono should replace Roy?

I say no, simply because there are other 3rd party characters I want in, INCLUDING one from SMRPG(although it's debatable if he's 3rd party or not)
Its an opinion of ALOT of people...<_< and it doens'tmean chrono should be in.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
So I'm guessing you're opposed to Crono being included in Brawl? Yes, I realize CT is more popular than SMRPG, but what does that have to do with anything in this thread?

I still say no, I'd rather have Roy replaced with another FE character or a 1st party character.

Aiser

Smash Lord
Marshigio said:
So I'm guessing you're opposed to Crono being included in Brawl? Yes, I realize CT is more popular than SMRPG, but what does that have to do with anything in this thread?

I still say no, I'd rather have Roy replaced with another FE character or a 1st party character.
I'd like for Chrono to be in it, but I realise that'll never happen and thers already to many sword users especially if more FE characters make it in.

I really dunno why it became an issue, I got irked cause someone said akira toriyama sucked..<_< which I find offensive.

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
Marshigio said:

He's third party, if he wasn't then he would almost be a guarantee.

Anyway, don't know where the rpg battle came up in this thread but the point is that, although unlikely, chrono deserves a spot on the brawl roster. He dosen't have to take Roy's spot but since the topic is whether or not him taking roy's place would be a good idea I say yes.

Honestly, he could take marth's spot or even one of the link's for all I care. I would just like him to get in.

kirby_fox

Smash Apprentice
Replace Roy with Chrono? Ugh...no...

I'm sorry but I have to point this out first off: HAL labs is NOT Sora. Sora is a diff company that is producing Smash because it's Sakurai's new company. Kirby is still HAL, Sakurai just created him.

OK back on topic now:

Chrono is a third party character that was featured in one game on a Nintendo console and was never released in PAL countries. FE, though originally not released in other places, was afterwards given worldwide games.

The game had Nintendo exclusives on satallaview, but no true sequels. The sequel was then released on the PSX. Though some of you may say "But Snake got his start on Nintendo!" well guess what? Chrono Trigger was released for the PSX too. So in reality, he got his start on both systems and out of all third party characters does not deserve a spot on the roster over many others.

Especially not Roy's replacement...

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
Aiser said:
It sucks? LOL really now?

See in order to suck you have to not be good, and acroding to all time Sales thats just not true, I'd also like to point out that One piece and Naruto are series that were heavly influenced by Akira Toriyama where are they? Ope in the top 5
That's like saying that movie games are amazing, because they sell well. One Piece and Dragonball Z are horrible and just, because they are popular doesn't mean they are good. Death Note is definately the best one on that list and it is not #1. Quality is overlooked very often. It's what we call a sleeper hit. Akira Toriyama is the most overrated Manga artist ever.

Aiser

Smash Lord
Super Smash Master said:
That's like saying that movie games are amazing, because they sell well. One Piece and Dragonball Z are horrible and just, because they are popular doesn't mean they are good. Death Note is definately the best one on that list and it is not #1. Quality is overlooked very often. It's what we call a sleeper hit. Akira Toriyama is the most overrated Manga artist ever.
If they're so horrible why are they selling well? your logic makes no sense since Dragonball and One Piece didn't have a huge following before they became mangas. Movie Games do.

Edit: Also Akira Toriyama is the godfather of shounin, he's far from overrated.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
Aiser said:
If they're so horrible why are they selling well? your logic makes no sense since Dragonball and One Piece didn't have a huge following before they became mangas. Movie Games do.

Edit: Also Akira Toriyama is the godfather of shounin, he's far from overrated.
A lot of things that are horrible sell well. Dragonball Z and One Piece sell well, because kids who have no concept of what quality is get obsessed with it, because they see it on TV. I used to like DBZ as a kid, but then I realized it was bad and repetitive. The art is bad and the story is repetitive (Bad guy comes, beat everyone, kills people, they train, they beat bad guy, they wish everyone back to life, repeat). How is he a godfather of shonen? It's not like DBZ was the first shonen anime/manga ever. All he did was create a long, repetitive, and poorly drawn series.

Daoshi

Smash Rookie
Just... lol.

First off,you know, the anime DOES look horrible. The art isn't that great, but you know why? Anime that has as many episodes as that does, as OLD as dbz is...isn't bound to look like how FMA or something would look.
You look at any other anime brought around the time dragon ball came out and you'll see the styles in coloring might be similar. For its time, db was great. Yes, the story was repeatitive. People don't like Db for the story, lol. They like it for the characters :D I prolly started watching it around when I was 12... it got me into everything I am into now, which is a lot. I am turning 20 soon and I still love it because I am attached to the characters.
however, Akira Toriyama is considered the godfather of shonen. You look at any shonen artists or creators and most of them will tell you he is their idol. Why is that? GASP... Figure it for yourself. As for "Oh his drawings suck they aren't detailed at all" Here you go.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v191/mogwai-ninja/001.jpg

Thats from his artbook. If that isn't detailed, why don't you draw me something similar and tell me how easy it is to make it look like that. =P Just because he doesn't draw in the style like crappy death note doesn't make him bad. Its his style, and he makes it work. Or if that isn't proof enough for you of detail, why don't you take a glance at the manga and check out the background, or the muscles, etc?

Akira Toriyama STARTED The shonen craze. Know your roots, fool!

Aiser

Smash Lord
Super Smash Master said:
A lot of things that are horrible sell well. Dragonball Z and One Piece sell well, because kids who have no concept of what quality is get obsessed with it, because they see it on TV.
Lol No because in Japan it became popular before it was an anime.

he was responsible for developing Dragon Ball that became serialized in Weekly Shonen Jump. In Japan, it became a record-breaking best seller with over 120 million copies sold.
Lol. Thats just in Japan so yeah.

I used to like DBZ as a kid, but then I realized it was bad and repetitive. The art is bad and the story is repetitive (Bad guy comes, beat everyone, kills people, they train, they beat bad guy, they wish everyone back to life, repeat).
Your point? Its about the characters...=\

How is he a godfather of shonen? It's not like DBZ was the first shonen anime/manga ever. All he did was create a long, repetitive, and poorly drawn series.
I didn't say he created shounen I said he's the godfather of shounen. theres a difference.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
Daoshi said:
Just... lol.

First off,you know, the anime DOES look horrible. The art isn't that great, but you know why? Anime that has as many episodes as that does, as OLD as dbz is...isn't bound to look like how FMA or something would look.
You look at any other anime brought around the time dragon ball came out and you'll see the styles in coloring might be similar. For its time, db was great. Yes, the story was repeatitive. People don't like Db for the story, lol. They like it for the characters :D I prolly started watching it around when I was 12... it got me into everything I am into now, which is a lot. I am turning 20 soon and I still love it because I am attached to the characters.
however, Akira Toriyama is considered the godfather of shonen. You look at any shonen artists or creators and most of them will tell you he is their idol. Why is that? GASP... Figure it for yourself. As for "Oh his drawings suck they aren't detailed at all" Here you go.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v191/mogwai-ninja/001.jpg

Thats from his artbook. If that isn't detailed, why don't you draw me something similar and tell me how easy it is to make it look like that. =P Just because he doesn't draw in the style like crappy death note doesn't make him bad. Its his style, and he makes it work. Or if that isn't proof enough for you of detail, why don't you take a glance at the manga and check out the background, or the muscles, etc?

Akira Toriyama STARTED The shonen craze. Know your roots, fool!

That is a hell of a lot more detailed than anything Toryama could draw. I don't care if he started the Shonen Craze. Dragonball Z wasn't even good. The characters arent even creative (With the exception of the namenkians, even though they arent even that creative). His art style is simplistic.

Aiser

Smash Lord
Did you even look at the picture? lol

anyway I think we can just ignore your opinion you said DB was only popular because everyone saw the anime and doesn't what quailty is, that right htere tells me you know every little about it. =\

You can say he sucks all you want the fact is he's shounen legend, its a proven fact.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hey. Everyone. How 'bout this? You're ALL idiots.

First off, just a little clarification from a few pages back. Metroid was First Party at first, but now it is 2nd party because it is developed by Retro studios (At least the 3D ones are).

Now, onto business. Why the hell are we arguing over Akira Toriyama? All he did was draw the guy. It's not like he's the **** writer for Chrono Trigger. He does concept art and in-game models for tons of games, esp. RPG games (Dragonquest/warrior is the most high-profile), which (Though I did not care for DQ8) are fine games with or without Toriyama's influence.

DragonballZ is moot. Just because Chrono is drawn similarly to an anime you don't like doesn't diminish his worth as a character. Also, There is one thing you can say about Tori, at least he's distinctive. Anime has a nasty habit of looking like every other anime ever. Akira succeeds in having a distinctive, recognisable style within a very homogenous art form, and that is worth a **** sight more than you guys give him credit for.

Also, yes, people flock to crap. It's a fact of life. That is why Rob Schnider and Adam Sandler are richer than you. That is why Cartoon Network's "Adult Swim" block churns out shows like 12oz Mouse and Squidbillies. It's why Carlos Mencia is allowed to have his own show. Crap floats, deal with it.

Also, how can you even compare something like Deathnote to something like DBZ? They are both such different fare that it's like trying to compare Peanuts to The Watchmen. Sure you may like one better, but some people like Apples, and some people like Oranges. It doesn't mean they don't both have their good points. I think they are both inferior to the might of Cowboy Bebop and Trigun. Does that mean I'm wrong? No. Does that mean you're wrong? No.

Just because Toriyama is a Legend doesn't stop DBZ (at least the american version) from being a repetitive violenc-o-rama with 30 episode fight scenes and even longer training sequences, not to mention somewhat thin characters and more anime cliches than you can shake a stick at. (Cliches that, I might add, DBZ did first, so they hardly count as Cliches. Remember, DBZ is from the era of Robotech, Speed Racer, and Akira) Tori's still More talented than most people.

Just because Deathnote may be your personal lord and savior, doesn't mean others might think so. In some opinions, it's an Emo snooze-fest, with an entirely different set of anime cliches attached to it.

Everyone is right, and everyone is an idiot for continiuing to argue. now stop talking about Anime and start talking about Video games.

Edit: And for god's sake! Edit those **** pictures! Scrolling sideways is the bane of my existance!

Aiser

Smash Lord
Eh I'm not saying DB isn't crap, I'm saying you should possible have atleast a little respect for soemting that started the shounen craze, I've said countless times on other occasions that db has alot of low points. But I give it respect because of its success and because of all the other great series that followed in its shadow.

But yeah enough of arguing manga..>___>
This thread was about Roy being replaced by Chrono right?..>_> I still think it would be apretty cool idea but in the end 1. it wont happen, 2. I don't think I'd be to keen on the idea of a replacment.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
dotdotdot! said:
Hey. Everyone. How 'bout this? You're ALL idiots.

First off, just a little clarification from a few pages back. Metroid was First Party at first, but now it is 2nd party because it is developed by Retro studios (At least the 3D ones are).

Now, onto business. Why the hell are we arguing over Akira Toriyama? All he did was draw the guy. It's not like he's the **** writer for Chrono Trigger. He does concept art and in-game models for tons of games, esp. RPG games (Dragonquest/warrior is the most high-profile), which (Though I did not care for DQ8) are fine games with or without Toriyama's influence.

DragonballZ is moot. Just because Chrono is drawn similarly to an anime you don't like doesn't diminish his worth as a character. Also, There is one thing you can say about Tori, at least he's distinctive. Anime has a nasty habit of looking like every other anime ever. Akira succeeds in having a distinctive, recognisable style within a very homogenous art form, and that is worth a **** sight more than you guys give him credit for.

Also, yes, people flock to crap. It's a fact of life. That is why Rob Schnider and Adam Sandler are richer than you. That is why Cartoon Network's "Adult Swim" block churns out shows like 12oz Mouse and Squidbillies. It's why Carlos Mencia is allowed to have his own show. Crap floats, deal with it.

Also, how can you even compare something like Deathnote to something like DBZ? They are both such different fare that it's like trying to compare Peanuts to The Watchmen. Sure you may like one better, but some people like Apples, and some people like Oranges. It doesn't mean they don't both have their good points. I think they are both inferior to the might of Cowboy Bebop and Trigun. Does that mean I'm wrong? No. Does that mean you're wrong? No.

Just because Toriyama is a Legend doesn't stop DBZ (at least the american version) from being a repetitive violenc-o-rama with 30 episode fight scenes and even longer training sequences, not to mention somewhat thin characters and more anime cliches than you can shake a stick at. (Cliches that, I might add, DBZ did first, so they hardly count as Cliches. Remember, DBZ is from the era of Robotech, Speed Racer, and Akira) Tori's still More talented than most people.

Just because Deathnote may be your personal lord and savior, doesn't mean others might think so. In some opinions, it's an Emo snooze-fest, with an entirely different set of anime cliches attached to it.

Everyone is right, and everyone is an idiot for continiuing to argue. now stop talking about Anime and start talking about Video games.

Edit: And for god's sake! Edit those **** pictures! Scrolling sideways is the bane of my existance!
Emo? I despise emo. If it was emo, I would hate it. If you can't see the genious in Death Note, then why don't you go watch One Peice. It actually has an original concept. Not a bunch of tough guys fighting villans.

Aiser

Smash Lord
^ a bunch of tough guys fighting each other? have you even read one Peice? Please stop talking drop it and stay on topic now.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Super Smash Master said:
Emo? I despise emo. If it was emo, I would hate it. If you can't see the genious in Death Note, then why don't you go watch One Peice. It actually has an original concept. Not a bunch of tough guys fighting villans.
Goth then. thats got a little more respectability to it. Guy has a notebook that kills people if he writes their names in it. It's a dark-clothes-pale-faced fantasy.

I did say in "Some Opinions." My point was that it's pointless to compare something like Deathnote to something like DBZ(Or One Piece), REGARDLESS OF THE QUALITY OF EITHER PROPERTY.

I'm not disputing the genius of anything, Deathnote is probably brilliant, I don't know. I read the first book in the store, saw that Light had some serious Shinji Ikari issues, put it back on the shelf, and never looked back. That is not the point.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
1: oh, yay new page, so no more images f***ing up the screen ^_^
2:dbz rocks because it is one of the most influential mangas ever. a lot of people stereotype it as being a fight fest. DBZ WAS NOT JUST ABOUT F***ING FIGHTS! its popularity was due to the series' very clear representations of good overpowering evil, love overpowering hate, the importance of family and friends, and an unyielding passion toward achieving goals. disscussion over.

On topic: I would LOVE to see crono in brawl (although I think cloud has a better chance due to his popularity) however he should NOT F***ING REPLACE F***ING ROY. roy is da shiat. he is my main. A lot of people say he should be taken out. why? is he too awesome? is he too kick @$$? why am I cursing so much in this post?

Zoomer

Smash Rookie
Chrono would be sweet!

Then add Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy so him & Chrono can duke it out.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
tirkaro said:
dbz rocks because it is one of the most influential mangas ever. a lot of people stereotype it as being a fight fest. DBZ WAS NOT JUST ABOUT F**KING FIGHTS! its popularity was due to the series' very clear representations of good overpowering evil, love overpowering hate, the importance of family and friends, and an unyielding passion toward achieving goals. disscussion over.
True, but you forgot how Toriyama Akira considers himself a "silly manga" creator and how he blends comedy into the fights, especially in early chapters of Dragon Ball and he last chapters of Dargon Ball (Z)

tirkaro said:
On topic: I would LOVE to see crono in brawl (although I think cloud has a better chance due to his popularity) however he should NOT F**KING REPLACE F**KING ROY. roy is da shiat. he is my main. A lot of people say he should be taken out. why? is he too awesome? is he too kick @$$?
I wonder this too. I main roy because he is basically better than Marth in every way.

tirkaro said:
why am I cursing so much in this post?
idk, do you have tht diseae where you randomly blurt out profanities?

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
dotdotdot! said:
Goth then. thats got a little more respectability to it. Guy has a notebook that kills people if he writes their names in it. It's a dark-clothes-pale-faced fantasy.

I did say in "Some Opinions." My point was that it's pointless to compare something like Deathnote to something like DBZ(Or One Piece), REGARDLESS OF THE QUALITY OF EITHER PROPERTY.

I'm not disputing the genius of anything, Deathnote is probably brilliant, I don't know. I read the first book in the store, saw that Light had some serious Shinji Ikari issues, put it back on the shelf, and never looked back. That is not the point.
Ehh..let's just get back on topic. I am really tired of arguing. XD

Top Bottom