• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Repeatedly Edge Guarding Shrek

Sycorax

Smash Ace
I was watching some recent matches of PewPewU vs. Shroomed at Bay Area Monthlies #8 and noticed something. One standard edgeguard flowchart against Shrek is to grab the ledge, force her to land on stage with tons of lag, and repeatedly hit her off until she can't recover. For the many times PewPewU was doing this in their 3 sets, he opted for an fsmash (usually untippered). I was wondering whether this is optimal (because Marth's sour fsmash is honestly pretty weak :/) so I looked at the hitbubble data for a few of Marth's options to hit Shrek back off stage. One thing I was particularly interested in was move staling since PewPewU repeatedly used fsmash. Here's what I found.

Fsmash is probably never the best option. Of course, every situation you find yourself in requires unique critical analysis, but I think there is usually a better option than fsmash. This option would be Marth's UpB. It ejects at the same angle as his fsmash, 44 degrees, but it has more base knockback. Note: I'm comparing UpB and sourspot fsmash; the tipper is obviously always stronger. Here's the data.

+---------------+-----+-------+----+-----+
|.... Move .....| Dmg | Angle | BK | KG..|
| Fsmash (sour) |. 14 |.. 361 | 60 |. 70 |
| UpB (ground) .|. 13 |.. 361 | 80 |. 70 |
| Fsmash (tip) .|. 20 |.. 361 | 80 |. 70 |
| Dsmash (tip) .|. 16 |... 70 | 70 | 100 |

Even though the fsmash does 1 more damage, the higher base knockback on UpB will more than make up for the difference in damage. Unstale UpB always does more knockback than fsmash(sour).

Now, since we are using a move over and over, what happens when we take into account move staling? Maybe if we use UpB too much, the reduced damage will make the knockback weaker than fsmash(sour). Maybe Marths should alternate their usage of fsmash and UpB. I've always heard that Melee's staling mechanic is irrelevant, but I never understood until now LOL. It's so irrelevant that if you use UpB six times in a row, the higher base knockback will overpower the reduction in damage and the final knockback from UpB will be greater still than fsmash(sour). I don't know that, if used the full 9 times, UpB will be weaker or stronger than fsmash(sour), but you probably won't use it more than six times, maybe, idk.

One thing to note about UpB: it has a lot more lag on it than fsmash. At low death percents (maybe like below 90% idk figure it out), Shrek might be able to recover to ledge before you can grab it.

Conclusion: Use UpB to knock Shrek back off stage. Of course there are always other options. If you can hit her with tipper fsmash, that's always stronger (but harder to hit with :/). Tipper dsmash is even harder to hit with, but it's just about as strong as (if not stronger than) Fox's usmash so that's cool (plus if they are DI'ing for fsmash/upb survival, they will die sooner from the tipper dsmash). You could double dip dair. You could ken combo. You could taunt, but I don't suggest that unless you're up by like 20 stocks :p

Last edited:

Vino

Smash Cadet
Marth has a lot more time to setup for sheik than most people think, so setting up a tipper f-smash isn't too hard depending on where she up-b's. But yeah I agree with this. Alternating might be a good idea too.

Sycorax

Smash Ace
Alternating might be a good idea too.
If you're talking about alternating to manage move staling then no, alternating is a bad idea. UpB will always* deal more knockback.

*I haven't actually tested all possible scenarios, but it could only happen in some obscure scenario that you shouldn't ever account for, e.g. you've UpB'd Shrek 9 times, i.e. fulling staling. Even then I don't think the fsmash would deal more knockback.

Sycorax

Smash Ace
Did you include reversed dolphin slashing?
Reverse UpB has the same hitbubble properties as normal UpB. The only difference (I'm 98% sure) is that Marth turns around on frame 6. The hitbubble comes out on frame 5 so you get this really weird looking hitbubble interpolation between frame 5 and 6, but it doesn't make a difference. It's a common misconception that reverse UpB is stronger or that it makes it easier to land the strong hit.

Last edited:

tonic

Smash Cadet
You can mix up upB and instant fthrow. If they survival DI expecting the upB, you can just dair them or fsmash them off the ledge, which can make your life a lot easier. It's not optimal though because if you just repeatedly upB Sheik eventually she'll die. The most optimal, albeit hardest options to do would be tipper fsmash (pivot?). I imagine it would kill significantly earlier than tipper dsmash on most stages, seeing as you'd be on the edge of the stage, and also it would be a rinse and repeat scenario for edgeguarding even if it didn't kill. If you mess up the dsmash, sheik gets back for free.

1MachGO

Smash Ace
2) The aerial version does wayyyy less knockback. If Shrek lands on a platform from her UpB, don't jump and do an UpB unless you can land first.
Pretty sure this isn't true. If your source is that excel file with all the melee hitbox data, the strong hitboxes of up-b are all the "ground" hitboxes. Their properties do not change regardless of whether or not you're airborne.

Icebound

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1650-2557-8575
The only problem I see with the Up B is that if you miss you're in trouble. I'm mainly thinking about online when there is just enough lag that they can put up their shield faster than usual.

Last edited:

Sycorax

Smash Ace
Pretty sure this isn't true. If your source is that excel file with all the melee hitbox data, the strong hitboxes of up-b are all the "ground" hitboxes. Their properties do not change regardless of whether or not you're airborne.
My source is, in fact, that excel file. I tested it out and you're right. That's interesting. I wonder why it's labeled US (air) and US (ground) then. That's misleading.

Icebound

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1650-2557-8575
My source is, in fact, that excel file. I tested it out and you're right. That's interesting. I wonder why it's labeled US (air) and US (ground) then. That's misleading.
Just realized this was a Melee discussion.
Disregard my earlier post :p

Top Bottom