• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Remembering the Wii Fit Trainer Reaction

wiifittrainer.jpg

The Wii Fit Trainer may have not been the weirdest character in Smash, but it's definitely the one that got reactions the most relished from. There were multiple reasons why to this, and it's worth discussing and reminiscing,

1. How the Wii Fit Trainer was revealed

I don’t think I ever saw a character for Smash revealed in such a nonchalant way as Wii Fit Trainer, nor as many people going “WHAT” over a character. Wii Fit Trainer was revealed at E3, but only once the expo hall was open to journalists. Since the reveal showed up on Social Media first for most people, Wii Fit Trainer was thought to be an assist trophy or something for a bit before being shown as fully playable. Speculation was through the roof for Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U after this.

2. The Wii Fit Trainer being revealed publicly, compared to other characters

Characters like R.O.B. and Pichu weren't revealed, so there was never a collective reaction to them. Many characters that were weird were revealed publicly, but most of the time, they didn't get the attention of E3. E3 show floor typically doesn't reveal much new, either.

3. Being revealed on her own

There's been other characters that have made people go "What" like the Ice Climbers and Snake, but they were revealed in a collective tandem with other characters. This reveal in particular was on her own, with a humorous trailer to boot. Sure, Mega Man and Villager were on the same day, but there was ample enough space for this reveal.

4. The trailer just soaked in the absurdity of it perfectly

There's definitely more to mention, too. Was she the most surprising character ever in Smash? No; we've had Cloud, R.O.B., Snake, Ice Climbers, and many other wild choices. Will she be the last? No. Was she definitely a fun character to watch the reactions of, at the time? Yes.

Author's note: Were you there during this announcement? Were you shocked by it? Are you hoping to see more reveals that catch you off guard? Let us know in the comments below!

Lucas "Thirdkoopa" Guimaraes

Comments

This was probably the greatest day of my life as a smash bros player. I was in shock and laughing pretty hard. I knew she'd be my main then and she has ever since.

She was actually my favorite reveal before the whole DLC era of 4 began. I lost it. I thought she was so cool. I was convinced I'd main her but I didn't hold up to that when Mewtwo was announced.

Last edited:
Her reveal was a real shocker, but it was fun, some of the more childish reactions was to remove her, which was sad.
But I'm glad she's here and I'm glad she's gonna stay.

Of course I'd like more reveals to catch me off guard, like perhaps a Style Savvy character!

I honestly think that expecting something off-the-walls should be expected for any Smash title. In 64 we had Jigglypuff, in Melee we had G&W, in Brawl we had R.O.B, and now we've got Wii Fit Trainer (and later on Duck Hunt who had the Zapper)

This of course begs the question... who's next? I think judging by recent trends, we'd have to look into obscure Nintendo add-ons and systems to figure out the puzzle of our next character. Whaddya bet we'll get a Virtual Boy character, or to go even more meta... a Switch character? We're not seriously getting Nintendo Labo as a character... are we?

I honestly think that expecting something off-the-walls should be expected for any Smash title. In 64 we had Jigglypuff, in Melee we had G&W, in Brawl we had R.O.B, and now we've got Wii Fit Trainer (and later on Duck Hunt who had the Zapper)

This of course begs the question... who's next? I think judging by recent trends, we'd have to look into obscure Nintendo add-ons and systems to figure out the puzzle of our next character. Whaddya bet we'll get a Virtual Boy character, or to go even more meta... a Switch character? We're not seriously getting Nintendo Labo as a character... are we?
Not gonna lie... after seeing that fan made Labo Man proof of concept, he has my vote. I think it'd be hilarious to see a cardboard man join the ranks of the oddball characters. And you just know he'd have to have a move where he falls over... since that's just about all he does. Maybe a forward tilt or dash attack.

Top Bottom