• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Remember the Heroes of WWII and the Heroes of our lifetime.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
It's true that you need a high school degree or a GED to be in the military now

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
You must have graduated high school, or gotten your GED, that is to enlist, which is starting at Private and being able to Reach Sergeant Major.
To be an officer, you must have gotten a 4 year degree in colledge(bachelors).
And correct, you musn't have a criminal record.
Also, there are Warrant officers, i am not sure what the requirements to be one of these is, but it has something to do with colledge.
Also, going to a military academy will get you a Bachelors degree, or something.
Although, you can join the uh...Reserve or National Guard at 17, which means your probably still in high school, which you will be required to finish.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Why, are the terrorists that force children into suicide bombings, are they brave?
Why, is it right that Saddam Hussein launched a genocide on the Kurds in northern Iraq?
Does the US army not convict US soldiers who do wrong?
Was the attacks on 9/11 what invoked this "fresh terrorist fear"? Or could it have been government propoganda?
You say that US soldiers fight because they have no choice, why they do, they voluntarily enlist! Also, the Coast Gaurdsmen(and women), are allowed to refuse being deployed overseas if they feel they cannot or do not wish to, this seems like they have a choice.
To answer your first 2 questions.Its not the USA business what another country does unless it directly affects them.Let them destroy each other.Its nobodys problem except their own.(and yours now apparently)

Yes the US army covicted them,but only because they were found out by the media and general public.If it was kept within the army I guarantee nothing would have happened.Im pretty sure it was found out a good while after it had actually happened.

9/11 was horrific and I genuinly feel sympathy for the families and affected citizens of the attack.But it was calculated,unprevoked and it had a hidden purpose.The war in Iraq has similar traits.Both sides believe it was the right thing to do where as it was not in both cases.I mean the war in Iraq has lost more of your citizens than the 9/11 attacks(and injured many many more)Over 4000 US solders(March 08) lost in a war that was unnescessary and completly AVIODABLE.Wheras 2974 were lost on 9/11.

Every job is taken by choice.I jst feel that alot of poorer people feel that when the finish high school that the army is their only way to make any decent money.The army will never not have vacancies and their are alot who never plan on going high up in the army so further education isn't an issue.(id say a cosiderable % of the solders are around the ranks you specified)

I genuinly didnt know the coastguard have a choice,I guess they have it lucky because your other soilders don't(most of them)

Yes I agree that each and every one should be remembered for the brave sacrifices they made for their country.But the problem is most of them should still be alive today to serve their country in a future war that is nescessary,not dead because of a pointless war.

Im not trying to p**s you off.I just dont see how you cant see through your goverments lies and deceptions.Its just my opinion and I am allowed to voice it.Plus isint that the US's most upheld of freedoms?

On a side note....The MLG website makes you sit through 2 mins of join the army stuff before watching each video.Thats weird if you ask me.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Should we have stepped in and defended South Korea from the communist North?
Maybe we were all hysterical about communism back then, and it probably wasn't our business, but when we entered that arena and pushed past the Pusan we made a difference.
Yes many were reluctant to go to war, but we made a difference, now rather than a communist country staring down at Japan, we have a non-communist South korea, and a rather pathetic North.

Also, it turns out, the UN actually blocked Iraq from exporting oil to 1996 and by then, only enough to be able to recieve food and medicine.

"Its not the USA business what another country does unless it directly affects them.Let them destroy each other.Its nobodys problem except their own.(and yours now apparently)"
Aren't you in Ireland or something, why is it your business to whine about are affairs, let Iraq and the US destroy eachother please. It is our problem, not yours.

I mean the war in Iraq has lost more of your citizens than the 9/11 attacks(and injured many many more)Over 4000 US solders(March 08) lost in a war that was unnescessary and completly AVIODABLE.Wheras 2974 were lost on 9/11.

Odd thing is, the war in Afghanistan is the one that we entered because of 9/11, and 509 soldiers have died there. Also 1,600 Afghanis have died fighting for their new government.

Also, usually in a war, the casualties(which means deaths) of the opening attack are often outweighed by the casualties throughout the rest of the war.

How about you make a thread about what your country is doing, and criticize that instead?

Pikaville

Aren't you in Ireland or something, why is it your business to whine about are affairs, let Iraq and the US destroy each other please. It is our problem, not yours.
Well since your planes are refuelling in one of our major airports it kinda makes it our problemtoo(indirectly)So terrorists could target us for this if they wanted(not that I think they ever would)Your putting our country in potential danger.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Well since your planes are refuelling in one of our major airports it kinda makes it our problemtoo(indirectly)So terrorists could target us for this if they wanted(not that I think they ever would)Your putting our country in potential danger.
That is totally wrong, terrorists do not come fvrom the US, and they are not born, nor do they live on airplanes.
They can target your country however they want, they could walk into a McDolands with bombs around their chest and blow the place up or they could do what Pluvia said they did.

It isn't the US fault that terrorists have the ability to target you, they have the ability to target whoever they want, and they will do whatever they can to reach their goal.

Pikaville

I didn't means your planes could literally blow up or anything.Why would I think that!?I just think that us allowing you to use our country to refuel puts us more at risk than normally.

Oh by the way I'm pretty sure very few people are born let alone live in planes.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
I didn't means your planes could literally blow up or anything.Why would I think that!?I just think that us allowing you to use our country to refuel puts us more at risk than normally.

Oh by the way I'm pretty sure very few people are born let alone live in planes.
I was not totally serious, as aircraft are not the only means in which terrorists execute acts of terrorism.
Also, why would it matter if US airliners refuel in your country, the terrorists would be much more clever and use your country's own airliners for a terrorist attack on your country, rather than American Airlines or Air Jamaica. Terrorists trained all the way over in Syria or wherever they are training them now, would not travel to the US then to your country, it would put them at a huge risk of being found out, especially with the increased US security in airports since 9/11. My bet is they would use something other than aircraft to commit an act of terror anyway.

And, yes, aircraft can literally blowup, and that includes airliners, want me to get some videos.

Pikaville

I meant your fighter jets/bombers.They refuel in Shannon airport.Im pretty sure they have a semi-permanent outpost there.There were alot of protests at the start but that never really stops governments from doing what they want anyway.

Terrorists could see this as a tactical point to take out.Like I said not that I think they ever would.

BTW Amidst this discussion I forgot to say to you........I like your sig.

Also have you seen Haloid?(Master chief vs Samus)

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
I meant your fighter jets/bombers.They refuel in Shannon airport.Im pretty sure they have a semi-permanent outpost there.There were alot of protests at the start but that never really stops governments from doing what they want anyway.

Terrorists could see this as a tactical point to take out.Like I said not that I think they ever would.

BTW Amidst this discussion I forgot to say to you........I like your sig.

Also have you seen Haloid?(Master chief vs Samus)

Well, the non existant Soviet Union once used Shannon airport.
Also, Ireland has invited the US to use Irish airports in the fight against terrorism.

It turns out, you guys are not in danger of terrorists, but angry Irish people.

"On 29th January 2003 an Irishwoman, Mary Kelly, took an axe to the nosecone and fuel lines of a US Navy jet. After her arrest and trial she was acquitted by a jury. However the Irish Director of Public Prosecutors sought a retrial in a higher court. A group of Catholic Worker activists to become known as the Pitstop Ploughshares were tried in March 2005 for damaging a United States Navy C-40 Clipper aircraft at the airport in February 2003 but the trial was stopped by Judge Frank MacDonnell on the sixth day for reasons the media were ordered not to disclose. A second trial beginning in October 2005 was ended without a verdict on the tenth day due to links between the trial judge, Donagh MacDonagh, and President of the United States George W. Bush. The third trial ended on July 25, 2006 with an acquittal for all five defendants on all charges."

Also, I saw Haloid, the CGI was good, but the ending was stupid. I have read all but one Halo novels, and that in no way is what even a female spartan looks like, or even acts like.

Pikaville

Yes the ending was stupid.......and so are some Irish people.The Irish government definitly had words with mr bush and said judges about the trials.

I imagine female spartans to be very butch.........and scary..........and non sexy.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Yes the ending was stupid.......and so are some Irish people.The Irish government definitly had words with mr bush and said judges about the trials.

I imagine female spartans to be very butch.........and scary..........and non sexy.
There are stupid people in every country.
Yeah, female spartans have their heads shaved, not long hair.

Pikaville

Ive always wanted to read the books.I think the next Halo game will be a prequel.Something based on what happened to the spartans.Im willing to bet money that Master chief will have a love interest and she will die.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Well, the books are good, even though they are centered around a video game, I have not read Contact Harvest, but that would be a good one to start with.
Chronological order is.
Contact Harvest
Fall of Reach
The Flood
First Strike
Ghosts of Onyx

They are all pretty good, I read them in less than a year all together(except Harvest).

Pikaville

Id probably have them done in a month and a half.I read insanely quick.Something like 11-14 words a second.Ill definitly check them out.I know one of my friends has the first 3 so I grab them off him.

Check the sig!

Pikaville

Cool man thanks.Isn't it weird how we were arguing bitterly for 4 pages and we somehow found a common ground and then we stopped.I think it was pointless to continue arguing anyway s.Were both pretty set on our views and the other person isn't going to change that any time soon.

Once again thanks for the info.

Sad Panda323

Smash Journeyman
All those lives were lost in vain.
Are you talking about the soldiers in Iraq who gave their live for their country? I certainly hope not. That is an awful and EXTREMELY disrespectful thing to say to anyone who knows/is/was a soldier in our military.

I agree with the topic creator, it doesn't matter if you support this war or not, the soldiers deserve our utmost respect.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Are you talking about the soldiers in Iraq who gave their live for their country? I certainly hope not. That is an awful and EXTREMELY disrespectful thing to say to anyone who knows/is/was a soldier in our military.

I agree with the topic creator, it doesn't matter if you support this war or not, the soldiers deserve our utmost respect.
I think he means that they died for a pointless reason like oil, he's not disrespecting them.

Lucrece

Smash Apprentice
Why, oh, why a Fox "News" link? Was it not possible to find a source that's, you know, actually reliable and non-sensational?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I think he means that they died for a pointless reason like oil, he's not disrespecting them.
Exactly. They are told they are defending freedom when they go to a country that has nothing to do with our freedom and die so contractors can drill for oil. It's no wonder the first people who entered Iraq once Baghdad fell was contractors and not help workers.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Exactly. They are told they are defending freedom when they go to a country that has nothing to do with our freedom and die so contractors can drill for oil. It's no wonder the first people who entered Iraq once Baghdad fell was contractors and not help workers.
I just want to see a stable and free government built in Iraq so the Iraqi's may enjoy the freedoms we enjoy, and hopefully they aren't screwed over by a slow dawdling leader or one who runs away and leaves them hanging, or one who serves his own agenda.

Pikaville

Obama will sort things out.(unless he's assassinated)Then there would be civil war.Hopefully it wont happen.(thats if he even gets the presidency)

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
I hope whoever is elected does, cause if things aren't fixed they will bite us in the but in a decade or two.
Which, you can see, we entered Afghanistan, or atleast the CIA, and funded them to repel the Russian occupation, and twentyish years later, we are back there again.
My hopes are, whoever sits in the oval office knows what he is doing in Iraq.

Top Bottom