• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Remember the Heroes of WWII and the Heroes of our lifetime.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Sixty four years ago, young American boys were not at home playing videogames or doing drugs, they were on the beaches of Normandy being killed and fighting for the liberation of Europe from the Third Reich.
Today, we have American soldier, each one a volunteer, none have been forced into service like then, fighting and sacrificing their lives.

No matter what you believe about the war in Iraq, please, do not disrespect our troops, they deserve our gratitude and respect for their bravery.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,363864,00.html

God bless our troops, the best and the brightest.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
D-Day was June 6th. You are a day late by my count.

Also, your blind rant about the Iraqi War lost any credibility you may have had by honoring veterans. We are not the most powerful nation in the world, and even if we were, we are not the world police.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
if we leave Iraq in an unstable state
Too late. The war has only succeeded in making my homeland a bloody mess, whilst reigniting fundamentalism.

That said, my thoughts are always with the soldiers involved and their families.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
D-Day was June 6th. You are a day late by my count.

Also, your blind rant about the Iraqi War lost any credibility you may have had by honoring veterans. We are not the most powerful nation in the world, and even if we were, we are not the world police.
Might I comment that although D-Day was on June 6th, on June 7th the fighting continued, sorry if I am a day late, but better late than never, and I can ensure you that news was still being said about D-day on June 7th 1944.
And the US is not the most powerful nation on earth? What?
Why, if we are not the most powerful nation on earth who is, the only other nation I can think of is Israel. Don't even say China.

Too late. The war has only succeeded in making my homeland a bloody mess, whilst reigniting fundamentalism.

That said, my thoughts are always with the soldiers involved and their families.
While there is bloody fighting in Iraq, there was very bloody fighting in the liberation of France, while now France is not under Nazi control.
You my friend are a fool, Iraq was a bloody mess before we came in, Saddams genocide on the Kurds, war with Iran, war in Kuwait with the US.
You might as well shut up now before you embarrass yourself.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
Charizard, use FLAME WAR, now!

and i absolutely hate it when people say the US is the most powerful nation on earth. that arrogance is going to screw us over in the future. and don't act like an ******* to ~N9NE~, he's just stating his own opinion.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
There, I edited my initial statement, it no longer states the US as the most powerful nation on earth.
And don't tell me how to act, I was stating the fact that Iraq was bloody before we entered and it is now(probably a side effect of war).

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Might I comment that although D-Day was on June 6th, on June 7th the fighting continued, sorry if I am a day late, but better late than never, and I can ensure you that news was still being said about D-day on June 7th 1944.
And the US is not the most powerful nation on earth?

What?
Why, if we are not the most powerful nation on earth who is, the only other nation I can think of is Israel. Don't even say China.
Economically, we aren't even top 3. That belongs to China, All of Europe (the Euro is much stronger than the dollar) and Britain (the pound is stronger than the Euro).

While there is bloody fighting in Iraq, there was very bloody fighting in the liberation of France, while now France is not under Nazi control.
You my friend are a fool, Iraq was a bloody mess before we came in, Saddams genocide on the Kurds, war with Iran, war in Kuwait with the US.
Stop talking because you look like an idiot. We went into Iraq to get rid of weapons of mass destruction, which turned out to be a complete and total lie. Then, we made everyone switch to democracy, or die. If Russia had come into the US and told us to switch to their pseudo-communism or die, we'd be just as pissed off as the Iraqis. All went to Iraq for is the precious oil, otherwise we would have left when Bush said the mission was accomplished, we captured Saddam and Iraq was switched to democracy. Why else have we not trained the Iraqi Army to defend against insurgents in our absence? Because there is no plan for our absence anytime soon.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Economically, we aren't even top 3. That belongs to China, All of Europe (the Euro is much stronger than the dollar) and Britain (the pound is stronger than the Euro).

Stop talking because you look like an idiot. We went into Iraq to get rid of weapons of mass destruction, which turned out to be a complete and total lie. Then, we made everyone switch to democracy, or die. If Russia had come into the US and told us to switch to their pseudo-communism or die, we'd be just as pissed off as the Iraqis. All went to Iraq for is the precious oil, otherwise we would have left when Bush said the mission was accomplished, we captured Saddam and Iraq was switched to democracy. Why else have we not trained the Iraqi Army to defend against insurgents in our absence? Because there is no plan for our absence anytime soon.
Please, first off, Europe is not a nation, and by power I meant military strength. Britain would not stand a chance against the US's military.
Second off, the war in Iraq is about democracy yes, but it isn't us forcing them to or die, the Moslem extremists are killing civilians and forcing them into suicide bombing to destroy the support for US troops in Iraq, here and there.
Third, hear this, Russia is not a communist nation, the Soviet Union was until it collapsed.
Fourth, the war is not about oil, if we wanted oil, we could go to alaska, and this war is about spreading democracy, and we have not left yet becuase, Iraq's army is not stronger than the insurgency yet.
You my friend, must learn some facts, rather than listening purely to the media and believing everything they say.

Edit: Oh, wow, you believe we have not trained Iraqi's to fight the insurgecy, you my friend, need to catch up, we have been training them for quite some time.

Please take a moment and rather than fight amongst ourselves, let's remember the sacrifces made for the liberation of France, and those being made now in Iraq for the liberation of their country from the tyrannical rule of Saddam.

I am sorry if this war is unpopular with you, and I offer my sympathies if you have experienced a loss of family or friend.
We must appreciate and remember those who served and gave their lives.
If we leave, and we should sometime within the next 4 years, we need to have a stable government set up and a military that can defend itself from the insurgency.
If we leave Iraq to soon, all those lives lost will be in vain, rather than for something.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Please, first off, Europe is not a nation, and by power I meant military strength. Britain would not stand a chance against the US's military.
The EU is pretty much a collective entity of countries that gives went from near broke standards of economy to the second highest in the world. Military power does not matter. All great empires fall, and when you focus solely on military strength you expedite that sufficiently.

Second off, the war in Iraq is about democracy yes, but it isn't us forcing them to or die, the Moslem extremists are killing civilians and forcing them into suicide bombing to destroy the support for US troops in Iraq, here and there.
Pretending that is true, how is it any different from when we aided Afghanistan against Russia in the later 1900s simply because Russia was a bigger enemy at the time. We armed people who had no chance of survival against tanks and helped them fight a war they could not win. That's pretty much suicidal.

Third, hear this, Russia is not a communist nation, the Soviet Union was until it collapsed.
Because I said Russia today and everything right? The USSR was barely communist anyway.

Fourth, the war is not about oil, if we wanted oil, we could go to alaska, and this war is about spreading democracy, and we have not left yet becuase, Iraq's army is not stronger than the insurgency yet.
ANWAR has barely enough oil to last us a decade, where as Iraq and the middle east has been our supply of oil for the last century.

You my friend, must learn some facts, rather than listening purely to the media and believing everything they say.
As opposed to you who accepts everything the government tells you without question? Orwell may have meant 1984 to combat Russian totalitarianism, but don't be blind and miss the relevance it has today. The Patriot Act was the first step towards taking away our privacy, like with Thought crimes, and with the war, we were once allies with Iraq and Afghanistan, now we are against them. But, since the government says so, we were always at war with Eurasia.

Edit: Oh, wow, you believe we have not trained Iraqi's to fight the insurgecy, you my friend, need to catch up, we have been training them for quite some time.
Wrong. We train them to work along side of us. If we truly were ever intending to pull out soon, we'd have trained them in individual cities where we were lessened in troops and left them to work to defend themselves. Instead we just stay by them and keep bringing our own troops to fight.

Please take a moment and rather than fight amongst ourselves, let's remember the sacrifces made for the liberation of France, and those being made now in Iraq for the liberation of their country from the tyrannical rule of Saddam.
Stop speaking. You keep clumping in D-Day veterans, which was a necessary war to stop someone who actually wanted to destroy and conquer the world, vs. our continuing political war for oil, power, and to flex our muscle.

I am sorry if this war is unpopular with you, and I offer my sympathies if you have experienced a loss of family or friend. We must appreciate and remember those who served and gave their lives. If we leave, and we should sometime within the next 4 years, we need to have a stable government set up and a military that can defend itself from the insurgency. If we leave Iraq to soon, all those lives lost will be in vain, rather than for something.
All those lives were lost in vain. The War in Iraq actually ended, if you go by Bush, in 2003 - 2004. Most of the 4,000 dead are POST war. That's what makes this war almost as unpopular as Vietnam. You cannot fight an indoctrinated enemy because they are endless. We are fighting ideology in Iraq, and that is just plain wrong. It's like China, if we ever went to war with them, they can send scores of men to die and feel nothing out of it. In Iraq, eventually they will run out of bodies to throw at us, but the region is permanently gone. What I don't understand is why do they have to be a democracy? There is no universal law that states all countries must be a democracy. And keep in mind, if you say all countries should, then the US needs to be conquered because we are not.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Search up Nguyen Giap memoirs, he was a North Vietnamese General.
You may find facts on how in the Vietnam war was within our grasp, to bad we didn't know it.
They were at the brink of surrender whenever we left their country.

I wanted you people to offer your respect to our soldiers, and all you want to do is fight and bicker rather than appreciate their brave sacrifices.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
How exactly am I embarrassing myself?

The war in Iraq was about oil. If it was about democracy then it has failed, terribly. Explain to me, if the US is so desperate to spread democracy across the world, why it hasn't invaded Zimbabwe and ended Mugabe's reign?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Search up Nguyen Giap memoirs, he was a North Vietnamese General.
You may find facts on how in the Vietnam war was within our grasp, to bad we didn't know it.
They were at the brink of surrender whenever we left their country.

I wanted you people to offer your respect to our soldiers, and all you want to do is fight and bicker rather than appreciate their brave sacrifices.
Then you are a complete failure because instead of just respecting the soliders of D-Day, you throw in pro-Iraqi War propaganda, and that isn't going to fly.

And ~N9NE~ has a point, if this was only about spreading democracy and helping people, why haven't we going to Darfur or Tibet? Those people seen pretty needing of our help.

Also, your memoirs provided one thing of interest: http://www.snopes.com/quotes/giap.asp

The myth held before that was that anti-war sentiments ended the Vietnam war.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
I do not know the answer to your question.
But I will attempt to answer it.
It may be becuase we have a very important ally in the Middle East, and we have a country that is very bitter toward the US also, which is Iran, if we set up a succesful democracy in Iraq, we will have a nation that can be an example of muslim democracy in the middle east to other countrys.
Just an attempt to offer my insight here on this question.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Then you are a complete failure because instead of just respecting the soliders of D-Day, you throw in pro-Iraqi War propaganda, and that isn't going to fly.

And ~N9NE~ has a point, if this was only about spreading democracy and helping people, why haven't we going to Darfur or Tibet? Those people seen pretty needing of our help.
Sorry but I am not a politician, I am not sure why Iraq is the target of democracy over other nations, but I know for sure it is not oil.

Why can we not offer our respect to Iraq war veterans, they have died fighting, and deserve our respect.

Sorry about double post.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Zimbabwe's main sources of economy are mineral exports, agriculture, and tourism. Iraq's economy is extremely dependent on oil. There's your answer.

As for America's ally in the Middle East, Israel, why did the US do absolutely nothing when Israel bombed the living hell out of Lebanon?

EDIT: I respect all war veterans. My father and grandfather were forced to serve in several wars and my grandfather actually served for the Britsh Army in Iraq. I respect all the war veterans in Iraq, and all that are involved in any war. I have no respect for why they are in Iraq.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
What should we have done, please, ask that question to a politician, all I wanted was us to commemorate the sacrifices of America's brave soldiers, why are you in here anyway ~N9NE~, if you do not want to appreciate Americas fallen soldiers and veterans then please just go do something else.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
It's a public forum. People will have conflicting interest, and you have no right to deny anyone the ability to post in here. He's on topic, it just happens to oppose yours.

However, I'll end this now. No more discussions of anti-war sentiments. Leave it to the Debate Hall.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
I said several times I respect all serving soldiers and veterans.

I just felt entitled to reply when you called me a fool for no reason.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Hiroshima and Nagasaki were acts of terrorism

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Because we know more then they do, right?

Spire

III
BRoomer
There, I edited my initial statement, it no longer states the US as the most powerful nation on earth.
And don't tell me how to act, I was stating the fact that Iraq was bloody before we entered and it is now(probably a side effect of war).
Like that really matters. Once something has been said, it's in stone. If you are so reluctant to others, why were you persuaded to change your initial statement about the U.S. being the most powerful country in the world, hmm? Fool.

omfgomfg

Smash Lord
Your eyes happened to drift to my location, I see.
Once something has been said, it's in stone.
not necessarily. if that were so, then think about all the major decisions that have been made in the world. many of them were changed or influenced by the words of others.

but perhaps you're saying that once something has been said, it'll always remain there, never to be erased. even if it's just a tiny whisper in your solitary bedroom. still, if that were the case, then you would never have known that the OP said that the U.S. is the world's most powerful nation unless someone else made a point about it before he edited it. which they did.

but honestly, you guys shouldn't badger him so much. all he wanted to do was to gather some sympathy for those who voluntarily enlist in the army.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
of course Hitler commited suicide, but it is hilarious seeing theories some people think up about him, one is he went to Atlantis.
It is actually unknown if he committed suicide or a general shot him. A general or someone high up who was in the bunker with him and Eva, allegedly, claims Hitler was actually terrified to die in the end and went as far as conscripting all elderly and children into the Nazi army. Originally, he wanted to poison himself. He actually fed the poison to his dogs and saw that they were in so much pain and decided against it. Then Eva and Hitler allegedly fulfilled their suicide pact. He demanded his and Eva's remains be burned, which they were, but the Russians did a DNA and dental match which was 100% positive.

The most prevalent story is that Hitler actually escaped to South America. Another interesting tidbit, there is still 6 living relatives to Adolf Hitler located in the United States. They have all legally changed their names and have all pledged to never have children in order to end the tainted bloodline.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
It is actually unknown if he committed suicide or a general shot him. A general or someone high up who was in the bunker with him and Eva, allegedly, claims Hitler was actually terrified to die in the end and went as far as conscripting all elderly and children into the Nazi army. Originally, he wanted to poison himself. He actually fed the poison to his dogs and saw that they were in so much pain and decided against it. Then Eva and Hitler allegedly fulfilled their suicide pact. He demanded his and Eva's remains be burned, which they were, but the Russians did a DNA and dental match which was 100% positive.

The most prevalent story is that Hitler actually escaped to South America. Another interesting tidbit, there is still 6 living relatives to Adolf Hitler located in the United States. They have all legally changed their names and have all pledged to never have children in order to end the tainted bloodline.
That is kind of sad that the Hitler blood line is dieng out because of the shame invoked due to their evil relatives actions, I would forgive them they were not involved, and I know his nephew went as far as to join the US military in WWII(cool story, look it up).

Edit: Although i understand nobody would want to be identified as a relative of A. Hitler.

My grampa fought in the Navy in WW2, i even have old photos from it.
Awesome, hey if the pictures aren't too fragile, would it be possible that you could scan them, I would enjoy seeing them, I am a history freak somewhat.
My great uncle was in the army airforce in the Pacifac, he was on a mission when they sent up the Enola Gay to drop the first nuclear bomb, his bomber was ordered to return to base, no details, all they knew was a "big bomb" had been dropped.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Im pretty sure most US soilders join the army because they are poor not brave.They need money for their families.Dont hold me to this its just what I ve been told.

The dead will always have my respect.Your government won't(unless you get someone who isin't a gorilla in a suit)I mean who lowers taxes when you go to war.Silly silly move.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Im pretty sure most US soilders join the army because they are poor not brave.They need money for their families.Dont hold me to this its just what I ve been told.

The dead will always have my respect.Your government won't(unless you get someone who isin't a gorilla in a suit)I mean who lowers taxes when you go to war.Silly silly move.
Everything you said is crap!
If they are poor, they could go sell drugs or do something horrible.
They are brave to enlist in the military, those fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan are 100% braver than you. You repeat the statement as if you believe in it, and might as well take this statement and bury it.
It is dishonor on our most honorable members of the US.
I don't mind what you say about Bush, McCain, Obama, or any politician, but the brave fighting men and women who put their lives on the line for this nation deserve your utmost respect.

I have been in NJROTC and have seen many good people, that could do any job they want, turn to the military, to serve this country, which is composed of you and I and many others.

If you drive down the road several miles west of where I live, you can see miles of white crosses and stars of david in the ground, each of those people died for this country, don't tell me they were never living, because now, the government, yes ours, has laid them to rest respectfully.
To tell the truth, I doubt you deserve that respect anyway, if you slander our government, why should they shine your shoes and brush your hair for you?

I see brave men in that image.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I see TERRORISTS in that picture

Pikaville

Yes they could turn to crime but may be they like upholding law(as most people should)So they may turn to a legit job that is never going to turn your services down......that's right the army.The US army is brainwashed to believe whatever they do is golden and 100% the right thing to do.Are the solders who tortured Iraqis brave?IS THE SOLDER WHO THREW A PUPPY OFF A CLIFF BRAVE?!The government used an ingenious combination of fresh terrorist fear and a well known enemy as a front to secure resources in Iraq.

There are the few who fight purely for their country.Id say most fight because they feel they have no choice.

This is just my opinion.Everyone can voice that freely right?Isn't that your most upheld right as a US citizen?

They may be 100% braver than me.But I am 100% smarter than them.If I was a US solder I would definitely by now have questioned why firstly we are still here and secondly,why the government continues this occupation when it's costing them dearly every day(in an already shaky economic situation millions a day is the last thing you need to e throwing away.Euro>dollar Pound>dollar?)

Which brings me back to the point that everything they do they believe is just.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Yes they could turn to crime but may be they like upholding law(as most people should)So they may turn to a legit job that is never going to turn your services down......that's right the army.The US army is brainwashed to believe whatever they do is golden and 100% the right thing to do.Are the solders who tortured Iraqis brave?IS THE SOLDER WHO THREW A PUPPY OFF A CLIFF BRAVE?!The government used an ingenious combination of fresh terrorist fear and a well known enemy as a front to secure resources in Iraq.

There are the few who fight purely for their country.Id say most fight because they feel they have no choice.

This is just my opinion.Everyone can voice that freely right?Isn't that your most upheld right as a US citizen?

They may be 100% braver than me.But I am 100% smarter than them.If I was a US solder I would definitely by now have questioned why firstly we are still here and secondly,why the government continues this occupation when it's costing them dearly every day(in an already shaky economic situation millions a day is the last thing you need to e throwing away.Euro>dollar Pound>dollar?)

Which brings me back to the point that everything they do they believe is just.
You are stupid, let me tell you that, uunable to accept reasoning.
The puppy thing, a hoax.
A few people I know can make a video that looks like them abusing a cat, when in reality, they are not, see for yourself.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=PEBf4Mrn33k
Btw, who cares if I puppy is killed, I hear in Korea, they eat dogs.

How are you more intelligent than a US soldier, you don't even uderstnad the armed forces!
They must have graduated high school to join the military, officers must have a four year degree, and a great deal of tactical knowlegde is taught to soldiers for in the battlefield.
My uncle has a genius I.Q. and a photographic memory, he was also a Captain in the USMC during Vietnam, and is proud of his service.
You can say whatever you want about why we are in Iraq, and worry about money, and cry because you are a failure and blame Bush for everything, but please, respect our soldiers, they are great people, unlike you, your a disrespectful person who doesn't deserve the right to live in such a wealthy nation that has such brave people willing to risk their lives to keep this nation secure from terrorists.

Now, answer these questions, if you believe you are such a smart person.
Why, are the terrorists that force children into suicide bombings, are they brave?
Why, is it right that Saddam Hussein launched a genocide on the Kurds in northern Iraq?
Does the US army not convict US soldiers who do wrong?
Was the attacks on 9/11 what invoked this "fresh terrorist fear"? Or could it have been government propoganda?
You say that US soldiers fight because they have no choice, why they do, they voluntarily enlist! Also, the Coast Gaurdsmen(and women), are allowed to refuse being deployed overseas if they feel they cannot or do not wish to, this seems like they have a choice.

I am waiting for answers.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Some of your questions seem redundant, I doubt Pikaville supports terrorism and terrorist activity.

Why, are the terrorists that force children into suicide bombings, are they brave?

Just as you believe the US armed forces are brave, I'm sure terrorist followers and suporters echo the same beliefs concerning the terrorists. It's all about perspective.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
So you mean to say, it doesn't matter if a US(or British) soldier forces small children to attack enemy combatants by blowing themselves up with grenades.
Someone may view this as brave, it is not right though, and is very cowardly to send young children on such a horrible mission.
Although, laying down your own life for others is a thing that is known to be the pinnacle of bravery.

I doubt Pikaville knows much about terrorism, since he doesn't seem to know that the US Army is only one of the five branches of the US armed forces(don't forget the Coastguard).

Edit: Bravery, what is it?
the quality or state of being brave
Brave: having or showing courage <a brave soldier> <a brave smile>
Courage: mental or moral strength to venture, persevere, and withstand danger, fear, or difficulty

I believe that the US soldier embodies these qualities.
If you do not know what a US soldier is, then please quit being a pest, as I will smash you if you get on me!

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Forcing children into suicide bombing obviously is something that no matter what your stance, is an intrinsically deplorable thing to do. I didn't express myself correctly, in no way am I suggesting doing such a thing is indicative of bravery.

I was just saying people who support terrorists must support their actions and find them brave, just as you find the actions of US soldiers brave.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
I believe that, yes, many people may view terrorists as brave, as they are fighting in what they believe in and share those beliefs with their supporters.
So yes, they must be brave, and although I feel reluctant to admit it now, they are, just as the German soldiers in WWII were brave, and the British in the American revolution.
Sometimes, those we fight against are not bad, like the British in the Revolution, sometimes they are bad, like the Nazi's in WWII.

Pikaville

I just spent 1 hour typing out points and answering your questions and what do I do......I press X on the window..........f**k it anyway.Im not in the mood to do all that again.Sorry dude I had some good stuff in there too.

Top Bottom