• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reliable way to edgehog?

zapdose

Smash Apprentice
What's a reliable way to edgehog now that wavedashing is gone?
I read about "hugging," but I can't seem to understand what it is. Maybe I'm just dumb.

Tonyyyyyy

Smash Cadet
Short hop off and land parallel with the ledge and with the way brawl is you'll grab it whichever direction you are facing.

You can also run off and immediatly turn torwards the ledge (not so you turn around just so you go towards it) as listed above.

limitbreak

Smash Ace
Its really not that hard. Just walk or jump or dash off the stage and but face the ledge as you fall off. You'll grab on extremely quick.

Raheelp

Smash Rookie
Run up to the ledge and STOP right in front of it. Then tap y or x ever so lightly and move your control stick slightly towards the edge. It's way easy and like second nature when you get the hang of it.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
On a related note, does anyone happen to have a link to a list of characters who can hug? Just out of curiousity.

(That first sentence turned out to be a lot more amusing than I'd intended...)

Umby

Smash Master
On a related note, does anyone happen to have a link to a list of characters who can hug? Just out of curiousity.

(That first sentence turned out to be a lot more amusing than I'd intended...)
Find a list of the full Brawl roster, and you have a list of people that can "hug".

kook321

Smash Apprentice
some characters i think run to fast to hug like sonic. He probably can still hug but its much harder. try turning towards other direction earlier, i dunno know for sure though havent tried it myself.

Umby

Smash Master
With hugging you're just pressing back towards the stage, so essential you don't have to walk/run off, you can just jump without turning around first.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Find a list of the full Brawl roster, and you have a list of people that can "hug".
Oh, hmm... I suppose everyone technically can hug. Bleh, I probably shouldn't post this early in the morning... I was thinking of hugging as running off the edge, but it includes walking, too, doesn't it. ...I don't suppose anyone would have compiled a list of characters who can just dash off the edge to hug?

TobiasXK

Smash Ace
Oh, hmm... I suppose everyone technically can hug. Bleh, I probably shouldn't post this early in the morning... I was thinking of hugging as running off the edge, but it includes walking, too, doesn't it. ...I don't suppose anyone would have compiled a list of characters who can just dash off the edge to hug?
Everyone I've ever played in Brawl has been able; they just have different timings.

nmaster64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nmaster64
3DS FC
4210-3983-6182
I've been having a lot of trouble hugging with Fox without jumping/short-hopping, he always goes way too far...

Binx

Smash Master
Doesn't matter who can hug because rolling doesn't steal the edge anymore so they will just sweetspot when you move or hit you off and take it with an auto sweetspot, there is no reason to even atempt an edgeguard in this game unless you knock them far off, and even then its just a guessing game whether they will attack on their way back or airdodge anyways.

I have to hold on to the hope that some character out there can gimp people somehow T.T

Mama

Smash Ace
Doesn't matter who can hug because rolling doesn't steal the edge anymore so they will just sweetspot when you move or hit you off and take it with an auto sweetspot, there is no reason to even atempt an edgeguard in this game unless you knock them far off, and even then its just a guessing game whether they will attack on their way back or airdodge anyways.

I have to hold on to the hope that some character out there can gimp people somehow T.T
You sound pretty gimp yourself. Fu_ck an edge hug. Jump off the stage and attack who ever is trying to recover. Simple as that. Are you so weak that you have to rely on gimping someone than your own ability to fight?

And on topic. Run off the edge and move the control stick back. How hard is that to understand?

Top Bottom