• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reliable kill moves for Pit?

MitoRequiem

Smash Cadet
Hello, I decided to pick up Pit as my one of my 5 mains, I played him a ton in Brawl and I never really looked into realiable kill moves cause I usually just played against friends/scrubs at School. This is the first Smash game I wanna take seriously so I'm kinda lost about a lot of basic stuff like finding a Kill move for character :> Anyways but to the point! can anyone tell me reliable kill moves/pokes and what's a good grab for him?

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Still hard to kill with Pit.
You can try to gimp with Fair in chars that have a predictable recovery, but you will never take the stock with any aerial until opponent % is too high.
You can try the Side-B but it isn't the definition of reliable... If is a light character you're facing, that's your best option.
I really think Pit's FSmash and USmash are underated, I got some kills with them already, but your spacing should be perfect, so is not so reliable as it should be.
I'm open to discuss how to kill with Pit too, cause I'm not getting any early kills, and having serious problems with the Pit power-factor , again.

I miss the glide attack and the Bair.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Fsmash is without a doubt the best, while the Upperdash is great if you find an opening.

Couple numbers off the top of my head...
Assuming that it's about the middle of FD unless stated.

Fsmash 120
Dsmash (front hit) 170 (basically a warning that it doesn't kill, lol)
Dsmash (back) 140
Usmash 125
Upperdash (grounded) 145
Fthrow (edge) 155
Ftilt (tipper) 155
And as a bonus:
DP's Electroshock (edge, grounded) 145

Pit's more about intercepting recoveries then outright KOs, so you'd better learn how, and fast.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I've only played as Dark Pit, but can't Up Tilt kill? Also, Bair and Dair, I think, are decent kill moves.

Last edited:

MitoRequiem

Smash Cadet
I played a ton of games with Pit today and yeah I think my issue with my earlier games was I just wasn't being patient and I was too used to getting a kill off of tipper tilts(I play Marth as my main) so playing someone where I don't have that was weird to me lol, I also had no clue Pit had a tipper that's neat and also thanks for the info especially the numbers :>

MitoRequiem

Smash Cadet
Still hard to kill with Pit.
You can try to gimp with Fair in chars that have a predictable recovery, but you will never take the stock with any aerial until opponent % is too high.
You can try the Side-B but it isn't the definition of reliable... If is a light character you're facing, that's your best option.
I really think Pit's FSmash and USmash are underated, I got some kills with them already, but your spacing should be perfect, so is not so reliable as it should be.
I'm open to discuss how to kill with Pit too, cause I'm not getting any early kills, and having serious problems with the Pit power-factor , again.

I miss the glide attack and the Bair.
Yeah early kills seem like a thing that do not exist with Pit, the earliest I had was against a Little Mac where I basically grabbed him, threw him off the stage he recovered and I was after to get an Fsmash off on him and shoot him down with arrows lol.

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
Yeah early kills seem like a thing that do not exist with Pit, the earliest I had was against a Little Mac where I basically grabbed him, threw him off the stage he recovered and I was after to get an Fsmash off on him and shoot him down with arrows lol.
Early kills exist if you can spike them with your dair. Its hard to get but totally pays off when you do.

MitoRequiem

Smash Cadet
Early kills exist if you can spike them with your dair. Its hard to get but totally pays off when you do.
I'm not quite comfortable with Pit yet to do that, but his recovery is godlike I should just go for it lol. P.S. When are you gonna post more vids! I learned a lot from one of your replays :>

InVinoVeritas

Smash Rookie
You have to get good at gimps, make a read or enjoy kills at 180% to play this Pit.

RIP Glair and Bair.

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
I'm not quite comfortable with Pit yet to do that, but his recovery is godlike I should just go for it lol. P.S. When are you gonna post more vids! I learned a lot from one of your replays :>
You did? Wow thanks dude! Im finished with class for the week so I'll be playing a load tonight. I'll try get a few good replays and upload them. I'll let you know when they're up.

Last edited:

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
I always considered Pit to be speedy, versatile, and an edgeguarding god. DEFINITLY not powerfull. I do kinda miss his old Fair since his new Nair may as well replace the current Fair we have.

DodgeDusk

Smash Rookie
NNID
DodgeDusk
3DS FC
3668-8055-4125
I think what needs to be said has already been said. Just a tip, though: don't let his side special go stale. Try abusing its armour at the higher percentages, as well as using it when you predict a roll

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I always considered Pit to be speedy, versatile, and an edgeguarding god. DEFINITLY not powerfull. I do kinda miss his old Fair since his new Nair may as well replace the current Fair we have.
You have no idea how much I would trade away to make his Smash 4 fair a single hit bair and restore his Brawl fair in its place. I love the new range he got but man does it suck not having knock back again, especially after getting so proficient with Project M Pit. lol

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Side smash works well if you're close enough and can get some clean hits in. At high percentages and close range, Upperdash Arm can speed through enemy projectiles and KO cleanly and efficiently.

MitoRequiem

Smash Cadet
I think what needs to be said has already been said. Just a tip, though: don't let his side special go stale. Try abusing its armour at the higher percentages, as well as using it when you predict a roll
Yeah, this has landed me so many kills lol, When I can predict someone throwing out a random Fsmash or anything I know my side special can beat I throw that out and I'll usually get a kill at higher precents

lob

Smash Cadet
NNID
FunkyLobster
3DS FC
0877-1680-1612
pit still has problems killing sadly
i thought side b would rock, but its really predictable and if its whiffs it lags like ****. when it lands it kills at 140+ for me, but for the love of god dont abuse it
ftilt has a sweet spot at the tip that killed at 120 for me, the other player might have not DId or vectored or whatever the **** it is in this game
his smashes are actually pretty good for killing, usmash and fsmash for sure, havent had any luck with dsmash
his aerials are kinda laggy, i havent had any kill for me before 170 or 180
i think if you want to kill early with pit you have to go offstage. i like to dthrow and fair the other player off stage, and try my luck with the dair meteor hitbox (i still cant hit it reliably)

Last edited:

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
In regarding his aerials, I'd just like to say that I find his B-Air to be quite good at killing. Also, I've gotten a lot of kills with his F-Throw near the edge of the stage; that's always a satisfying kill. With his D-Smash, it's pretty powerful as far as I'm aware, but I believe it's quite a finicky move. Kind of hard to land. I'm trying to get some practice with his D-Air, but like a lot of people I'm not very confident with it and am still trying to pull it off consistently.

His Side-B is very good at hitting people as they fall to the ground. You can juggle people with it, although it kind of makes me feel like a jerk; I'd be seething if that was happening to me. Oh, and I find it good for recovering as well. When people stand at the edge charging up a smash, you can barrel straight into them and send them flying up. Keep in mind that the move isn't as strong when used in the air.

lob

Smash Cadet
NNID
FunkyLobster
3DS FC
0877-1680-1612
In regarding his aerials, I'd just like to say that I find his B-Air to be quite good at killing. Also, I've gotten a lot of kills with his F-Throw near the edge of the stage; that's always a satisfying kill.

bair has a sweetspot at the tip (like his ftilt) that does substantially more damage and knockback, its probably his best kill option in the air

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
i think if you want to kill early with pit you have to go offstage. i like to dthrow and fair the other player off stage, and try my luck with the dair meteor hitbox (i still cant hit it reliably)
Yeah his spike is absurdly difficult compared to other characters. What's the timing to get it. 80% of the time I just hit them upwards. Even with practice against a jumping computer for 30 minutes I just cannot do it consistently.

lob

Smash Cadet
NNID
FunkyLobster
3DS FC
0877-1680-1612
Yeah his spike is absurdly difficult compared to other characters. What's the timing to get it. 80% of the time I just hit them upwards. Even with practice against a jumping computer for 30 minutes I just cannot do it consistently.
i legit have no clue where that damn sweetspot is

Claxus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Claxus
3DS FC
0146-8714-8870
My most reliable killer for those times when an opponent just won't go down, it's actually been Side-B. Once they get around that 140% range, you can get some pretty easy kills with the Upperdash. Read and punish a roll with it, wait for the right moment on their ending lag, or... Just dive through their attack! You know that feeling when you just know they're going to attack, or they're going to throw out a safe move, or going for a smash attack even, well, just tank that junk with super armor for the KO! And it will kill anywhere on the stage, of course.

I tend to very sparingly use his Side-B, so it's a trump card that they can't really get a feel for in my playstyle.

Last edited:

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
In the middle. I mean literally the middle of his dair. Check out my replay when I get a spike and see where I hit him (0.47).
You're the best Pit I ever saw in Smash 4, man.
You completely restore my faith he can be a high tier in this entry.Nice uses for almost every move (I never get the UTilt situation in Smash 4 before)

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
You're the best Pit I ever saw in Smash 4, man.
You completely restore my faith he can be a high tier in this entry.Nice uses for almost every move (I never get the UTilt situation in Smash 4 before)
Thanks so much dude!! I think Pit has potential in this game to be high tier but not top. The fast characters can run circles around him and his kill options aren't as good as they were but he did receive a few buffs and his new side b is beautiful.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
In the middle. I mean literally the middle of his dair. Check out my replay when I get a spike and see where I hit him (0.47).
Just got around to watching it myself. Very good, but there's one big mistake you made at 0:43. Instead of aiming directly for a ledge, aim below it. You'll slide up the side of the stage and grab the ledge. Seriously, practice it on all the different Omega stages, it even works on Brinstar and Ferox.

Really though, I'm impressed.:p

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
Just got around to watching it myself. Very good, but there's one big mistake you made at 0:43. Instead of aiming directly for a ledge, aim below it. You'll slide up the side of the stage and grab the ledge. Seriously, practice it on all the different Omega stages, it even works on Brinstar and Ferox.

Really though, I'm impressed.:p
Yeah that is kind of a common mistake I tend to make. Ive been practicing hitting the ledge and have gotten a lot better at it since this video was recorded. Thanks for the kind words!

LittleKirby

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0344-9780-8721
I've just tried playing with pit recently...
Being a kirby user, I just love to use Pit's back air. Its not half bad, somewhat good of a kill move, but it needs some skill.
Oh and I recommend using Pit's Dair backwards or else it will be easier to lift your opponent back in the air

Anyways, what I find is dash attack does a whopping 10 damage and combos pretty easily
I'm trying Downtilt > dashAttack
or Fthrow > dash Attack

Xmark

Smash Apprentice
As usually pit still has his good Uair. All of pit's aerials are really good, I'd consider all of them kill moves except for the fair. It sort of semi spikes but you can just use the dair. His bair and uair have good kill potential. His nair is more of an of stage gimp mofe if your facing forward, bair if yout facing backward. I think his smashes are pretty good too for certain angles. for characters that have weaker horizontal recoveries the dsmash is the one you want to use. Facing light characters Uair, sideB, and Usmash are the way to go. As for heavier characters I usually try to get them off stage and use Bair. Not sure if this is helpful for you but I hope this helps you out?

Beethro

Smash Cadet
NNID
dernCereal
3DS FC
2621-3736-4780
pit seems to only get his kills early with favorable stage position imo. like most of his aerials will kill decently but only if youre using them while edgeguarding offstage. and like, recovering high and predicting a high edgeguard and side-bing through that seems like it would be his earliest kill option, as the side-b will obviously kill way earlier if theyre already high up to begin with. as far as side-b goes, other than that i like holding my side-b's for high percents and then predicting a projectile to muscle through. it also does a ton of shielddamage (the only 3 shields ive broken in this game have all been pit/dark pit side-b) so using it on a shield youve whittled down with arrows or something is probably an ok idea. though people in this game seem a lot more comfortable just dodging instead sadly so even with nerfed shield health, it'll be tough. keeping his moves from being stale seems like its pretty important; god i hate stale moves lol. tech chasing with upsmash and reading with rolls with f/dsmash and the afore mentioned projectile musclethrough side-b is where i feel like i get most of my onstage kills.

i remember getting a few good kills with fair but all of you guys dont seem to be reaching those same results so im gonna assume he was holding away to avoid gettin hit altogether and died to his own vectoring.

are there any recoveries that are particularly gimpable by using the pushback from guardian orbitars or is that gonna be way too unusable of a tactic lol. either by holding it onstage or running off and blocking the ledgecompletely.

Last edited:

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Thanks so much dude!! I think Pit has potential in this game to be high tier but not top. The fast characters can run circles around him and his kill options aren't as good as they were but he did receive a few buffs and his new side b is beautiful.
Unfortunately, I think using d-air on grounded opponents is a bad habit. The opponent sort of let you do your thing on him.

As for the topic, I would say his smashes, his Upperdash Arm, and some aerial gimping are your best bets. Unless you land a smash, you're gonna have to wait for the Arm, and the arm REALLY varies in KO potential. Sometimes it can't KO at 130%, and sometimes it KOs by 100-110 percent on lighter fighters. Either way, throwing out the arm in the middle of what they're trying to do is my main KO method.

Last edited:

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
i remember getting a few good kills with fair but all of you guys dont seem to be reaching those same results so im gonna assume he was holding away to avoid gettin hit altogether and died to his own vectoring.
Nope, Fair definitely makes some memorable kills. It certainly surprised me at times when I was simply edge guarding, and I managed to get a black lightning kill.

Raven the Obsidian

Smash Cadet
NNID
RavenTheObsidian
3DS FC
3866-8144-2758
Man, that's a great Pit you got there. I'd love to face off against that sometime!

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Pits up smash is a decent kill move....it has pretty decent range and he jumps too adding on to that range. Also ive managed to avoid certain down tilts and down smashes just by doing the up smash e.g toon link :p

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
Man, that's a great Pit you got there. I'd love to face off against that sometime!
Thanks dude! Unfortunately since I'm in Australia the game lags terribly for anyone overseas.So unless you're in Australia we might have to see if the WiiU version has better connection. ):

Last edited:
Top Bottom