• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reign Of Blasters- A R.O.B. Guide (General Update 4/27)

D

Deleted member

Great guide! I just switched my main to rob, so all of these guides are rly helping me step my game up. Just a question, what should u do if your enemy is recovering high?

Eaode

Smash Champion
Great guide! I just switched my main to rob, so all of these guides are rly helping me step my game up. Just a question, what should u do if your enemy is recovering high?
If they are recovering high, you could try a few things:

1. If they are low enough and in reach, you can Bair them to get them back off the stage.

2. Or if they're in reach to can simply hit them with a Fair and start WoP'ing them off the stage, usually for the kill

3. If they're really high, you can just wait for them. Hit them with a Uair are they come down for some damage or if their Up-B leaves them vulnerable, you can try to intercept their fall with a properly placed Upsmash for power

Also, if they are rocovering high or otherwise far away from you, use this time to charge your gyro (for fire a laser if you can hit them)

Hope this helps ^_^

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
One of the great things about ROB is his ability to go as high as he wants without any loss of options. Double jump and up-B till you intercept them and then nair or bair their a$$es.

The Jesticle

Smash Rookie
One extremely underrated attack of ROB's is his nair. It can be used to juggle the opponents and is, in my opinion, a better UAIR than the UAIR. Once the timing of the nair is down, it can be used to hit the opponents from above and the knock back at low percentages is very small so it allows for combos to be started. I like to nair, nair and then up smash. It seems implausible, but it's actually surprising how many times its worked. The nair is easily the most used of ROB's move for me, because it is useful as any kind of move because it hits from all around. It can be used as an approach, juggling move, combo starter, and a K.O. move. It really is more versatile than people give it credit.

scalvis

Smash Rookie
Hmm, that's an interesting bit of info right there. Does seem like it would make projectiles a problem.

I haven't had much of a problem with this yet. If I start to notcie it's a big deal, I'll probably try to find a solution and put it in recovery tactics
Im sure you propably already know this, but if you can tell they're about to throw something at you, throw out a fair. After you fair, you're able to dodge and then get right back to your up+b. Kinda slow, but it's worked a few times for me =P

Eaode

Smash Champion
One extremely underrated attack of ROB's is his nair. It can be used to juggle the opponents and is, in my opinion, a better UAIR than the UAIR. Once the timing of the nair is down, it can be used to hit the opponents from above and the knock back at low percentages is very small so it allows for combos to be started. I like to nair, nair and then up smash. It seems implausible, but it's actually surprising how many times its worked. The nair is easily the most used of ROB's move for me, because it is useful as any kind of move because it hits from all around. It can be used as an approach, juggling move, combo starter, and a K.O. move. It really is more versatile than people give it credit.
Although Nair can be very versatile, I still use it sparingly. I used to barely use it, and then I realized how useful it can be. But I still don't overuse it. Simply because it has a LOT of startup, only combos at low percents, and the fact that it's an awesome KO move. These are the reasons why I save the Nair for when I really need it. ROB has other viable options for low % combos.

CojaxCojax

Smash Rookie
Although Nair can be very versatile, I still use it sparingly. I used to barely use it, and then I realized how useful it can be. But I still don't overuse it. Simply because it has a LOT of startup, only combos at low percents, and the fact that it's an awesome KO move. These are the reasons why I save the Nair for when I really need it. ROB has other viable options for low % combos.
I'll agree with ya there. It's an awesome move, and I get a third of my KOs with that. You can use it two or three times in a row on an opponent to build up some heavier damage, or use it coming down to the ground and blast some suckas out of your face, but It's good to save it. For racking up damage, I'd mix up combos with spamming his laser. Seriously, just blast it every time it's charged up to a normal laser, then when things are finally getting hot around the end, just let it charge into a super laser, and you can use it to gain an edge.

Sharky

Smash Master
A couple things that should be added to the guide:

Reverse Glide Toss: Useful for putting space between you and your opponent, as the gyromite will prevent them from pursuing you immediately. Done by rolling backwards and throwing forwards with the c-stick. Something every R.O.B. player should know how to do.

Fairs out of shield: Awesome counter-attack, because the fair comes out so quickly, and has more range than a shield grab. Very good for converting a situation from defensive to offensive, when done properly.

Foxxx17

Smash Cadet
Fairs out of shield: Awesome counter-attack, because the fair comes out so quickly, and has more range than a shield grab. Very good for converting a situation from defensive to offensive, when done properly.
you can also do fair into bair out of shield, this is very safe b/c the bair will push u away from the opponent and if it lands, well u can imagine the rest.

Note: the bair will only hit if they side step/shield the forward, just keep diing behind them so your in good placement for the bair.

Sharky

Smash Master
I don't see that working at anything other than very low percentages. The fair would knock the opponent too far away for the bair to hit, otherwise.

Eaode

Smash Champion
If Anybody has trouble with the WoP with ROB, just know that I do have a replay saved with a great example of it's application to get a 0-death KO. I haven't recorded it yet, but might with a Digital camera or camera phone, so just keeping y'all informed. I guess if you're desperate to see it, you can PM me and we'll swap Wii/Brawl codes so I can send it to you ASAP.

Sharky

Smash Master
you can also do fair into bair out of shield
might wanna rephrase that then, cause that definitely says out of shield.

I also use fair to bair against shields, so I'll agree that it has its uses. Just be warned that it isn't 100% guaranteed to work, as a character with a quick bair can counter you before you get your bair off with very good timing.

EDIT: ok I sorta get what you mean, but you still didn't have to say out of shield, cause if you're doing that, then you shouldn't have to worry about them shielding or rolling since they should still be lagging from their attack.

yoshi_friend

Smash Apprentice
i just love how the up b can trick people out. you use it once. then again. spike them maybe. then recover with it. so many mindgames! :)

T0MMY

Smash Master
Why is this guide stickied but mine wasn't?
Everyone go pester the mods to get mine stickied too.

Frames

DI
lol tommy they wouldn't sticky my guide either.

Basically this one stands out because it has a lot of general info on strategies and different tatics that players can use, as opposed to simply movesets and such.

T0MMY

Smash Master
lol tommy they wouldn't sticky my guide either.

Basically this one stands out because it has a lot of general info on strategies and different tatics that players can use, as opposed to simply movesets and such.
You only have one section dedicated to strategies the rest are just move sets or facts.
I have two sections with more subsections, so I'm still wondering.

Shmeeku

Smash Rookie
I don't know if anyone has noticed this yet, but I just realized today that the flashing light on ROB's head indicates how charged his laser is. The faster it flashes, the more charge you have.

ArticulacyFTW

Smash Cadet
I don't know if you find this useful, but I find that if I'm knocked high and far off the stage, I often use that time to charge my gyro, as the gyro charge can just be air dodged out of, and it retains the charge. Also, if you get the angles right, it's pretty easy to nail the opponent waiting on the edge with the gyro if you're feeling feisty, and then swoop in. I love this when I'm actually off the screen and I launch it. Such a feeling of satisfaction. The super-laser also works well.

Another thing, if you can land the gyro spinning behind the opponent (they dodge, you drop it after holding, etc.) you can use it to extend your ground combos-- it gives a slight knock back when the opponent touches the gyro without picking it up, so it can hold them in place. I often use this property if I'm holding a gyro and the opponent grabs the ledge. I'll just short hop and drop it right in front of them on the stage and hang over them ready to pull out a D-air or B-air or whatnot, depending on what kind of move they make. If they do a simple get up they smack into the gyro and into my waiting rockets, if they ledge drop I can attack from there, etc. Obviously this requires a bit of doing (usually knocking them off with the gyro and then picking it up).

I'm also kind of surprised you left the gyro off of the edge guarding section (can you tell I like this move a little too much?), as it has excellent knock back at decent percentages and pretty good range.

I think you should add the advice of saving your N-airs into the guide, that's definitely a good idea. Great for vertical kills out of a combo, etc. but not if it's spammed. I also try to save my F-smashes.

Also, back throws kill at high percentages, 150%+, (if you aren't spamming it too hard) which is always a nice weapon to have.

Lastly, the B-air hitbox includes R.O.B.'s entire body, so you can actually B-air to do a forward attack as it launches you forward. This isn't usually advised because it's easily punished, but it can be useful in some situations. Also you might want to note that with all of R.O.B.'s moves that use his rockets, if you hit with anything above the rocket flames it will knock the opponent in a completely different direction from normal (often nearly opposite), which can lead to some less than satisfactory D-air meteor attempts, but also some pleasant B-air lead in combos.

Sharky

Smash Master
speaking of the gyro hitting people while spinning, I like planting one right next to the ledge when an opponent is about to grab it, forcing them to either jump or roll to get back up. It makes for an interesting edgeguarding situation =)

ArticulacyFTW

Smash Cadet
Something I forgot: I don't know if this works on any other projectiles, but R.O.B.'s jab cancels Pikachu's thunder shocks. Perhaps someone would like to test? I'll probably check it out later, but if nothing else, it's something nice to have against the mouse.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I'm pretty sure a lot of jabs cancel a lot of projectiles. At least that's the way it worked in melee. Luckily I don't think ROB's eye lasers can be stopped that way.

Eaode

Smash Champion
T0mmy, if you want your guide stickied, you have to PM a mod about it. I don't think they investigate the ROB section very often <_<

@ Articulacy: Yea, charging the Gyro while recovering is a very good idea. I find myself doing this with any character with a chargable projectile. Why not abuse your supposed disadvantage for free charge time ^_^

I also find myself keeping the Gyro out to control the battle field, kind of like Diddy with bananas. Except it hurts people!! It's really a great way to sway the match towards your favor and get more damage on your opponent.

although the gyro could be used to edguard, i find it's a lot more effective to simply just run off and chase people with fairs or whatever. Although there are times when the Gyro would be more effective. If you're good at judging distance, you can fire a gyro and make it just barely fall off the stage and stall opponents who come from below. But overall the gyro is a situational edgeguarding tool.

This guide does need updating, i just haven't been able to do it lately because of school assignments and tennis. I still have a lot of prjects but I'll try to add some more stuff very soon.

ctrlaltdestroy

Smash Cadet
Ive been having troubles deciding who i wanted to main, and this guide has realy helped. Im seriously considering rob now

T0MMY

Smash Master
Ok, well, I'm hardly on Crashboards anymore, I have my guide stickied on All is Brawl, so I'm going to update it there, but I'll try to update it here when I can.
I'll PM a mod and see about it getting stickied... but it's not going to get a lot of attention, so I'll put a link to the AiB guide.

quote05

Smash Cadet
I barely found this out about r.o.b. his f-tilt does two more damage (8% opposed to 6%) and slighty more knock back. His fair (if hit towards close to his body not the arms) does only 3% and little knock back while the arms cause the most damage and knockback. I'll try to find more statistical info like this if you guys want me to. You should add this type of info into you're guide.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
if you want to trip out a Lucas/Ness by switching up between gyro and laser hoping he'll try to absorb the gyro by mistake out of habit of lasers...beware. They might just give up absorbing altogether and bat everything you throw out because the bat can actually reflect the laser! and rather easily too. it's actually a LOT easier to reflect projectiles [esp a fat-*** laser] in Brawl than it was in Melee

Sarijy

Smash Apprentice
Side B:
The side B isn't entirely useless. I have had some success using this attack.
Side B has 2 damage types- Inner and Outer. On the inside of the attack, players will be juggled in or out of the attack continually taking more damage. On the outside of the attack, it will knock players back, depending on the tilt of the attack.
If someone comes running towards ROB when he has the Side B in action, it will knock the player back somewhat.
Tapping B makes the attack last longer, which is useful making it quick reflect or a nice bit of sustained damage.
Well thats an overview of my knowledge on it, but the trick (Being as I don't want to waste as much space entering in a tactic people already know by making a new thread)
If you knock someone off a ledge, and they are going down, you can over b, using the short advancing hop it gives to chase them down, while tapping b. If you aim right (Its near impossible to miss) You chase the person down and catch them in the center of the spinning, preventing them from jumping. After your attack ends I bet you could probably Spike and then just jump and Up B back to the stage.
Forgive me if this doesn't work entirely.

toasty

Smash Hero
nice idea! I'll try this out on saturday [tourney] and let you know how effective it is :)

if I record vids, I have some **** stuff against tether recoveries I want to share :) I thought of a few weeks ago and did it but never recorded
but I don't want to spoil it =D

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Side B:
The side B isn't entirely useless. I have had some success using this attack.
Side B has 2 damage types- Inner and Outer. On the inside of the attack, players will be juggled in or out of the attack continually taking more damage. On the outside of the attack, it will knock players back, depending on the tilt of the attack.
If someone comes running towards ROB when he has the Side B in action, it will knock the player back somewhat.
Tapping B makes the attack last longer, which is useful making it quick reflect or a nice bit of sustained damage.
Well thats an overview of my knowledge on it, but the trick (Being as I don't want to waste as much space entering in a tactic people already know by making a new thread)
If you knock someone off a ledge, and they are going down, you can over b, using the short advancing hop it gives to chase them down, while tapping b. If you aim right (Its near impossible to miss) You chase the person down and catch them in the center of the spinning, preventing them from jumping. After your attack ends I bet you could probably Spike and then just jump and Up B back to the stage.
Forgive me if this doesn't work entirely.
I usually just ignore 08 joiners but this is actually good info that I didn't know, mainly cause I rarely go near ROB's f-B. I'm interested to see if this short-hopped f-B edgeguard works.

Zastrozzi

Smash Cadet
Okay, so rather then continue making new threads for every little thing that I observe, I suppose I should start posting things on the "general thread", yes?

Well, what initially started as "hey look, I'm Falco!" has kind of born fruit: Instant Dair. Since Dair stalls your upward momentum, you can use it REALLY close to the ground. Unfortunately, there's a limit to how close you can be for it to be effective. As it turns out, ROB stalls in mid-air when you press A, then drops a little bit, then the Dair blast pushes him back up where he started. If you're too close to the ground, all you get is landing lag for your trouble.

After seeing some funny stuff with Falco's sweet-spot Dair spike, I decided to see if ROB could do something similar. The answer is... sort of. Because of the initial lag, its less useful to jump into the enemy and do. Anyone with a decent utilt will knock you out of it. HOWEVER, since the blast from Dair has absolute priority, you can actually use an instant Dair to punish people trying to poke you. It moves you out of the air, and you blow up whatever limb they tried to strike you with.

Also, the blast area on the Dair is kind of a cone; around ROB's base, it is actually quite thick. I've successfully used it like Medaknight's Dair to hit people with poor horizontal coverate on their anti-air attacks. Short hopped Dair can hit a very awkward area for some characters, especially from the back.

Its... um... not truely awesome, but it's kind of neat to experiment with.

toasty

Smash Hero
hah, yo: just read the first post :)

EDIT: something that kept happening to me yesterday because I never get to play against Olimar:

don't camp the ledge with aerials unless you plan to upB for the auto-snap onto the ledge. Olimar can send the Pikmin out for a grab and if you're above the ledge at all, [which you are if you try to double jump to the ledge or if you ledge-drop and then DJ-aerial and then try to grab the edge after the aerial] the Pikmin can pull you up onto the stage and then Olimar gets a free throw :( not fun especially at high damage and he gets you with that little blue ******* ;____;

alkaowari

Smash Rookie
Sorry. I couldn't see it the first time, I saw it now though. Sorry for asking. I'm new here, and I just didn't know where to look for techniques for most of my characters. Anyway, sorry for the post.

Top Bottom