• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Regarding a Newbie Guide for those entering the Competitive Scene

zmx

Smash Lord
I've been thinking about this for some time. I've noticed a lot of new players recently entering the scene (in particular, I hang around the smashboards arena a lot and we are constantly getting new players fresh from being casuals) and I don't know of any guide out there that exists that is suited for them.

I'm not talking about some in depth FAQ that explains every single mechanic of the game but a much simpler one explaining basic concepts like spacing, baiting, reading etc. And some of the more universal ATs.

So my question is does a guide like this already exist somewhere? Because I wouldn't mind writing one myself and then have someone here edit and revise it. I'm tired of spouting the same advice a million times (don't abuse rolling, that move is very punishable, don't recover like that etc.) to every newbie that asks for it. I'd much rather have a solid general guide I could link them to.

Edit: If someone here is interested in helping me write it or help in any way at all I'm fine with that as well.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
What's more helpful are char guides that list basic mix ups, ledge options, spacing options, KO set ups, general strategies etc.

That's a lot more helpful that char guides that just detail the properties of every move.

As for complete newcomers, I'm pretty sure there's a list of all the terminology and universal ATs.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Only things you need to learn for competitive Smash are:
1. Game Knowledge (frame data, option selection)
2. Reading Comprehension (baiting, reading, conditioning)

Those two things in conjunction + the basic principles of 'spacing' = Every standard fighting game in existence. True facts.

So a guide for noobs would need a summary of spacing fundamentals, an explanation of reading comprehension and information on the game itself (exists everywhere).

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Only things you need to learn for competitive Smash are:
1. Game Knowledge (frame data, option selection)
2. Reading Comprehension (baiting, reading, conditioning)

Those two things in conjunction + the basic principles of 'spacing' = Every standard fighting game in existence. True facts.

So a guide for noobs would need a summary of spacing fundamentals, an explanation of reading comprehension and information on the game itself (exists everywhere).
is there a spacing guide that more brawl oriented?
that video's great, even for brawl players but there are a few things that don't apply and a few extra things to be mentioned.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I doubt such a guide exists, but your point is very true.

Spacing in Melee is all about controlling space via dash dancing, which obviously doesn't work for Brawl...

Obvious solution is that we all play Melee instead :3

Ghostbone

Smash Master
When you're learning your spacing, make sure you study your characters hitboxes (search youtube for it, pretty sure every character has a vid with all their attacks), in Brawl there are a lot of strange disjoints that you wouldn't expect with a lot of moves.
There's also the opposite, where a move looks like it would hit somewhere that it doesn't.
It also helps to learn where the sweetspots are, since there's often a big difference between the strength and knockback of a sourspot vs a sweetspot.

Top Bottom