• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recovery

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Ok, so as I'm sure most of you know, using an aerial that is faster than your airdodge after getting hit allows you to regain control over your aerial momentum quicker, allowing you to survive longer. However, our framerate data has bair at 21 frames and airdodge at 22... is it worth the one frame difference? The bair over there has landing lag though, so the frames might be different if the attack is finished in the air, but just wondering, how necessary is it?

Also, blaster for recovery is pretty good once you get used to it, especially when recovering from up high. I find that bair, then blaster momentum is the best way to survive attacks with wolf, since blaster stops/reverses momentum quicker than jumping does.

Anyways, just wondering how everyone else handles their recovery in this sense, none of the sideB/upB stuff involved.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
The blaster part is basically using the blaster once you have control over your aerial momentum to quickly give yourself a boost towards the stage. To do this, simply blaster and press towards the stage at more or less the same time, sort of like a B reversal, but without necessarily reversing it.

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

MetaKnight63

Smash Apprentice
Ok, so as I'm sure most of you know, using an aerial that is faster than your airdodge after getting hit allows you to regain control over your aerial momentum quicker, allowing you to survive longer. However, our framerate data has bair at 21 frames and airdodge at 22... is it worth the one frame difference? The bair over there has landing lag though, so the frames might be different if the attack is finished in the air, but just wondering, how necessary is it?

Also, blaster for recovery is pretty good once you get used to it, especially when recovering from up high. I find that bair, then blaster momentum is the best way to survive attacks with wolf, since blaster stops/reverses momentum quicker than jumping does.

Anyways, just wondering how everyone else handles their recovery in this sense, none of the sideB/upB stuff involved.
Taking notes on blaster recovery....

10UBERAwesome!

Van Jones

Smash Lord
I was actually thinking about which aerial to use the other day. I guess Bair is the right choice.

As for this blaster recovery, it could be really interesting. I will test it out during my session tonight and give you guys some feedback.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
ummm people posting in this board should work on perfecting basic smash DI before doing any of this stuff. I'm pretty sure this should be the last thing most people should work on

Van Jones

Smash Lord
ummm people posting in this board should work on perfecting basic smash DI before doing any of this stuff. I'm pretty sure this should be the last thing most people should work on
Quoted for truth. However, any decent player knows how to smash DI. This thread is just a look at other possible survival options for a character that is universally know to have a terrible recovery game.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Castor, you're obviously right, but the thing is that SDI applies for every character. It's a given that everyone should know the basics of SDI (not saying that everyone does, but it should be general knowledge). This is a wolf-specific question, as BadNewsBear said.

The thing with using the blaster is that it sometimes gives you so much DI that you'll end up landing on the stage. This is where I think it might be useful to illusion cancel shortly afterwards so you land on pretty much the opposite side of the stage and your opponent goes 'wtf is that even possible?' I find that for wolf, I generally prefer to recover starting a little below the ledge, so it'll feel weird using the blaster at first.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
I just realized I forgot to answer you, Kash. I'm POSITIVE it helps your recovery. Best way for wolf to recover (assuming best possible DI towards upper corner) is to instantly bair and then use the blaster to give yourself momentum towards the stage. No jumping in between, I'm pretty much positive about this.

Peachkid

Smash Champion
NNID
Peachkid
3DS FC
0791-2008-8754
hmmm this is interesting, never thought that blaster could aid wolfs survival

Van Jones

Smash Lord
Ok. After testing this in a couple matches, my verdict on this is......................................undecided. :p My first reaction to getting knocked off stage is to use an aerial and proceed to get back to the stage (I completely forget to use the blaster), so I have only been able to do it twice on purpose. It SEEMS to work, but I don't want to commit to anything because I have only been able to do it a handful of time. Sorry for the useless post. Back to testing. :)

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Yeah, it definitely takes a bit of time to get used to. I used to do an aerial and then jump while holding towards the stage, but sometimes jumping wouldn't cancel out all of my momentum enough and I'd die off the screen during my second jump. Whenever I replace the jump with the blaster though, this never happens. With the blaster, you can actually reverse your momentum in situations like this, so it really does help, and almost ensures you'll be close enough to the stage to position yourself in a way that you won't get hogged.

Top Bottom