• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

recovery

IDK

Smash Lord
i'm sorry i probably should have put this in my last post, but i just thought of it right after. Anyway, I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but a lot of recoveries are a little tough or different for Lucas. His upb is way different as everyone knows. His PKFD requires b-sticking, and does not actually propel you very far recovery-wise. Zap-Jumping requires such precise timing that it literally takes luck and pros dont even try to use it. My favorite recovery technique is to grab onto the edge. I don't just mean the normal ledge-snap. I am talking about pressing z (grab). With Lucas, it isn't actually very well known that his edgegrab has extremely long range. You should experiment with it in training on Corneria (because it has the ledge above the lower part) and see how far that snake stretches. When i do this i usually press L (my custom grab button), then L again to come up, then b to attack right off the edge.

Of course, there are non-death recoveries, like hitting as you get up or dairing the ground as you fall. Lucas is very good with these actually. His ground dair is great because it lasts so long. If you just dair the ground right before you get hit into it, there is no lag of getting up and you will just stand there. From this point, you can do PKT or jump and upair them.

Powda

Smash Apprentice
I Zap jump pretty much everytime I recover. It isn't as hard as you are making it out to be. Wavedashing in melee was 10x harder to learn than the zap jump. I have a harder time getting back with more than half of the other characters than lucas. Infact I dare say lucas has one of the easier/better recoveries in the game.

The edge grab with the snake you are talking about is called a tether. And yes it is very far but you want to be careful, many characters will take advantage of your vulnerability while in the tether.

Here's something to play with for you. double jump off the edge, then wave bounch then psi magnet. You'll see as all of us have learned that it propells you almost as far as luigi's wavedash in melee. This helps me a ton against characters like metaknight where I can chase him off the stage and PKF at him and still make it safely back with ease.

Toodles.

IDK

Smash Lord
I Zap jump pretty much everytime I recover. It isn't as hard as you are making it out to be. Wavedashing in melee was 10x harder to learn than the zap jump. I have a harder time getting back with more than half of the other characters than lucas. Infact I dare say lucas has one of the easier/better recoveries in the game.

The edge grab with the snake you are talking about is called a tether. And yes it is very far but you want to be careful, many characters will take advantage of your vulnerability while in the tether.

Here's something to play with for you. double jump off the edge, then wave bounch then psi magnet. You'll see as all of us have learned that it propells you almost as far as luigi's wavedash in melee. This helps me a ton against characters like metaknight where I can chase him off the stage and PKF at him and still make it safely back with ease.

Toodles.
thanks for the help. by the way how do you zap jump? because i have heard different ways to do it and maybe thats why i can't. I knew how to wavedash in melee and it wasnt that hard so maybe i'll be able to zap jump. By wavebouncing do u mean the b-sticking thing? lol i forget what it's called. i heard to do the psi magnet dash you have to do a zap jump. i guess not everyone on smashboards is reliable. :/

Hardcorenesser

Smash Journeyman
thanks for the help. by the way how do you zap jump? because i have heard different ways to do it and maybe thats why i can't. I knew how to wavedash in melee and it wasnt that hard so maybe i'll be able to zap jump. By wavebouncing do u mean the b-sticking thing? lol i forget what it's called. i heard to do the psi magnet dash you have to do a zap jump. i guess not everyone on smashboards is reliable. :/
nah you can wavebounce with a normal jump. and zap jumping is done by doing pk fire and your second jump at the exact same time. yes, wavebouncing is the b-stick thing. the diifferent zap jump methods you heard about were probably with and without b-sticking. with b-sticking it goes higher and you can do the magnet glide thingy or whatever it is called. so you should probably b-stick it. and i myself am trying to get the hang of the zap jump -> magnet glide recovery but i have a bit more trouble zap jumping with a b-stick :/ wavebouncing i find very useful. it is perfect for keeping your distance. i use the other AT's every now and then if the situation allows. they can make you very unpredictable amd throw off your opponent.

IDK

Smash Lord
yeah... i find the timing for zap jumping pretty hard... any other tips about how to do it?

Powda

Smash Apprentice
I set my R button to jump. The zap jump isn't actually performed by pressing the buttons at the same time and I kinda wish the AT thread would correct that it is throwing many ppl off. You actually are pressing jump a split second before the PKF. It is soo quick and close together that it seems like it's at the same time but make no mistake about it, you are pressing jump first.

I haven't really found much use with the Bstick zap jump as of yet. YOu have to be facing off the screen to perform it and usually when you are comin back it's while you are facing the stage so....Not as useful but cool non the less ;P

The psi magnet dash is gonna be your easiest tech to learn. I don't even know what is going on it, almost seems like a glitch because of how far you fly. All you do is double jump, then bstick your PKF (wavebounce) at this point you just press psi magnet. You'll fly as far if not further than luigi's wave dash(in melee). You can do it in the air so the best way to practice is probably double jumping off the stage then wavebounce to psi magnet all the way back. It's really cool and you'll quickly find great uses for it.

A really fun way of practicing it btw is going under battlefield and Final destination. when you can make it from one end to the other, going underneath, you pretty much will have it mastered :)

SilverChaos

Smash Apprentice
Basically what Pow said.
I too, use R for my jump.
You press R and a split second later use PKFire. What I did was, I went on FD, and did it over and over again, until I could do it consistently.

IDK

Smash Lord
yeah, that sounds easier. i'll try that. oh wait... i use my r to roll and dodge so it might be kinda weird to switch to L... oh well i could get used to it... they are good techs but i've heard they won't let you do it in tourneys because it takes too long to set up... :(

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
from my experience Zap jump isn't really necesary to recover pretty much ever. And if tourneys aren't allowing you to change your controls I'd spend my time learning to control PK Thunder better rather than working on zap jump. His up B really sends him a long ways. Controlling yourself from lower angles can be difficult on some stages but it's not that bad once you work it out and it doesn't happen terrifically often anyway.

SilverChaos

Smash Apprentice
yeah, that sounds easier. i'll try that. oh wait... i use my r to roll and dodge so it might be kinda weird to switch to L... oh well i could get used to it... they are good techs but i've heard they won't let you do it in tourneys because it takes too long to set up... :(
Well if you never use L, set THAT to jump. Just do the same I said before, but with L.

Cervial

Smash Cadet
I haven't really found much use with the Bstick zap jump as of yet. YOu have to be facing off the screen to perform it and usually when you are comin back it's while you are facing the stage so....Not as useful but cool non the less ;P
)
You can go from there and Magnet Pull forward or backward, thus making it rather useful if you can time it right.

Tyr is right, though, you shouldn't be dependent on it.

Levitas

the moon
Whether or not Zap jumping is necessary, it helps you avoid edgeguarding by characters like Rob and Jiggs. And it's funny.

IDK

Smash Lord
lol... i was playing melee today and edgehogging with wavedash. it was pretty funny. (just cause you said edgeguard) anyway thanks everyone. very useful.

Top Bottom