• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recovering from and In 3.5: Diddy's recovery sweetspots

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
So its pretty apparent that Diddy's recovery got hit hard. In 3.02, its only real benefits were huge distance and something built in that discoraged opponents from going offstage and intercepting it. Now, with the random Barrels removed (thank god) and the the rest of the recovery nerfed as well, Diddy has to be a lot smarter when recovering.

Rough list of changes from 3.02:
Fixing of the random barrels
Up-b charge time halved
Up-b distance gained when charged lowered
Up-b charging fall speed increased
Up-b travel hit-boxes pushed even further into diddy's body, more negatively disjointed (explosion hit-boxes tweaked too, not important for this thread)
Up-b given more landing lag.
Side-b given more end lag, so we drop further before we can act out of it.
Wall cling physics changed, can't double jump out of a wall cling>wall jump, forced wall jump.

The purpose of this thread will be to delve into Diddy's recovery and optimize angles, travel paths, frames of action, and sweet-spots. I initially started doing this just for myself because I realized my recovery is the biggest hole in my game and was where I was getting punished the most. I'm going to start with learning the new sweetspots myself using FA and the ledge grab detection indicator in debug. Eventually I'll make video/image references. Additionally I'd like to compile a list of characters and their moves that can hit diddy out of a sweetspot from the ledge. Right now I'm assuming its sword characters for the most part.

I also want to look into Diddy's options for getting off the ledge, and options for AGT usage in the recovery.

I'll be working on this on and off for a while, probably won't update it with anything super solid after today for a little while (finals coming up). Just wanted to make the thread and get potential feedback/contribution from you guys

I'll be editing this post on and off all night as I mess around with things.

recovery option frame data:
Side-b:
Grab: grabs ledge on the 36th frame. Can act out of it on the 53rd frame. Up from 35 and 43 respectively from 3.02.
Initial ledge grab box differs from normal ledge grab due to animations. Higher above his head initially until you can act out of it
Kick:grab ledge on the 38th frame. Act out on the 55th frame. Recovery frame up from 45 frames from 3.02.
Extra Horizontal ledge grab boxes.

Up-b:
Charging nets you about half a Diddy's height in extra distance. His sweetspot is mostly horizontal in both directions, the grab box above his head isn't very large. Grabboxes don't change based on angle.
Can't angle without charging.
ledge grab on frame 35+charging time, however you can't grab the ledge if you are still moving upwards.
Special fall 52nd frame.

Ledge grab boxes:

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I'm taking screen shots of his grab boxes right now, all of his different moves have slightly different grab boxes due to animations. I'm converting them from bin to JPG right now, I'll have them up with frame data on ledge grab frames in like 15 min

edit: nevermind, I guess PM doesn't create bin files the same way brawl did? I'll get some pictures of the ledge grabs up soon though.

Edit-edit: updated OP with ledge grab boxes. Much easier to get than perfect sweetspots, and is a start.

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
That random barrels weren't removed, they just..

Also: Up-b on BF from the ground doesn't reach the top platform UNLESS you weave it towards one way then fade back the other. So Up-b OOS, you'll pry want to get onto the platform like Marth would, so aim a bit forward then drift back (or other way around, for whatever reason this thing changes the height or collision. Also I think you have to do this as well to reach the ledge cancel.
I got tons of this stuff.

Also in 3.02, you could on BF Ledge drop WJ Insta-Side-b and land on the side platform. This doesn't work anymore for whatever reason.

Last edited:

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
I made a video about sweetspotting the ledge in 3.02, I'll post it again because it still applies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39PavrxuSIc&list=UUbrBJP48I3BI_lHOspzpGvw

In 3.5, the concept of aiming the barrels all the way to the side still applies, but you need to start charging a little lower than in 3.02. Basically you want to start charging when you're level with the stage, instead of a character length above it like in 3.02.

Top Bottom