• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Really good Roy's

ZMan

Smash Master
cromartie high school aka albuquerque, nm
Well, MookieRah did play Mewtwo, and Taj plays Mewtwo as well. So they can defend Mewtwo. There is qalways some wierd guy who can play a low tier character and pwn with them, like NEO, Vilness, Svampen, ect.

Lord Knight

Smash Lord
stewie91 said:
Marth and Shiek are easy to use, but hard to master, that's why people play them so much. Fox is fast as hell but extremely hard to master. Roy is Hard to master and he doesn't have the speed or moves to keep up with them, unless played like a god like how NEO uses him.
No, Roy is just a terrible character. NEO is just a very smart player. There's a difference.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
stewie91 said:
Roy is Hard to master and he doesn't have the speed or moves to keep up with them, unless played like a god like how NEO uses him.
roy is not hard to master, he just sucks. no roy player has the great experience in the game NEO has. it's like comparing P.C. Chris to other falco players. theres many falco players who dont always win tourneys like pc
pc has great experience and knowlege of the game.

ZMan said:
Well, MookieRah did play Mewtwo, and Taj plays Mewtwo as well. So they can defend Mewtwo. There is qalways some wierd guy who can play a low tier character and pwn with them, like NEO, Vilness, Svampen, ect.
NEO is the only won who wins important tournies out of the ones you mentioned.

Lord Knight said:
No, Roy is just a terrible character. NEO is just a very smart player. There's a difference.
<3 lordknight

Banned via Administration
ZMan said:
But like foxandfalco said, they don't win tourneys, except NEO, who doesn't use roy to win tourneys, he uses marth.

Miso

Smash Cadet
fox may be in depth at higher levels, but if you are a noob, and you pick up say....link, you like him and think hes pretty good

if then you decide to pick up fox and see how he plays, you instantly notice his speed, the strength of his attacks and so forth...you will be more attracted to the speedy character because their massive speed somewhat offsets your lack of skill...

since fox attacks extremely quickly, then the beginner really doesnt worry about landing hits as much as they would with link...so yes, fox is easier to play in the beginning while you learn, thus *pick up* and play

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Miso said:
f...so yes, fox is easier to play in the beginning while you learn, thus *pick up* and play
of course fox is easier to play at a noob level aka when you suck, wtf

roy is not hard to master, he just sucks.
Well, NJ, it depends on what your definition of "master" is, really.

You can "master" all of a characters techniques, I guess. But you haven't really "mastered" the character until you can win with them. That makes roy "hard to master", because it is so **** hard to win with him because he sucks. But if you consider "master" to be techs and such, then yes, he is easy to "master"

if then you decide to pick up fox and see how he plays, you instantly notice his speed, the strength of his attacks and so forth...you will be more attracted to the speedy character because their massive speed somewhat offsets your lack of skill...
WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT. Speed = more skill to play. I'm sorry but there is no other corelation stronger than that. Ever.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
5150 said:
Well, NJ, it depends on what your definition of "master" is, really.

You can "master" all of a characters techniques, I guess. But you haven't really "mastered" the character until you can win with them. That makes roy "hard to master", because it is so **** hard to win with him because he sucks. But if you consider "master" to be techs and such, then yes, he is easy to "master".
Yea, I meant by tech skills and whatnot regarding how vague "master" may seem.

foxandfalco said:
Yea, I meant by tech skills and whatnot regarding how vague "master" may seem.
Ya, that's what I thought you meant. and wtf crawled up WJ's ***? I'm banned from the hub!

Miso

Smash Cadet
the amount of skill depends on the amount of speed...fox moves fast, but he attacks faster than he moves, once you get used to his speed (maybe like half an hour of playing him) you can basically keep him on the stage, which makes it easier to land more attacks

captain falcon is harder to play yes, because he MOVES extremely fast. getting used to his running speed takes a lot of practice, but getting used to his timing takes no time at all

and apparently we are all extremely stubborn in our beliefs so i dont think this is gonna go anywhere lol. let me just agree on a few things lol:
1. fox is good. ZOMG he pwns. we all understand this at least
2. tiers do influence the outcome of a match. thats as far as ill budge on that
3. skill also influences the outcome of a match. i think we agreed on this, couldnt tell from your posts
4. it is fun to win with lower tiered characters for the fact you can rub it in your opponents face if they are using a higher tiered character

Miso said:
once you get used to his speed (maybe like half an hour of playing him)
LOLOLOLOOOL

that is by far the best quote of the day.
ZMan said:
Hey, al least you actually HAVE the hub, no hub for Zman.
the last thing we need is for you to have access to the hub, otherwise you'd learn that other people besides me know what they're talking about...

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
5150 said:
Ya, that's what I thought you meant. and wtf crawled up WJ's ***? I'm banned from the hub!
yea, he bans people for stupid reasons alot of times. i banned me yesterday for saying he was a funny person...

the amount of skill depends on the amount of speed...fox moves fast, but he attacks faster than he moves, once you get used to his speed (maybe like half an hour of playing him) you can basically keep him on the stage, which makes it easier to land more attacks
please stop posting on smashboards.
by the way, skill doesnt not depend on speed...maybe the speed of the players hands...but the of the character he's using, wtf.
do urself a favor and dont reply

Lord Knight said:
Play against a Samus player slightly worse than your Roy. I can gurantee you that you will lose.
On a sidenote, that matchup isn't as bad as you think ;) .

Miso

Smash Cadet
lol, im sorry, but skill can depend on speed. if you get bored with a character, then will you play them? no

most of the people i know think that the slower characters are boring because their eyes are more attracted to faster movement.

so if you look at it that way, then youre skill with a character can be influenced by their speed. if you dont like bowswer for example, thus dont play him on a regular basis, then will you be good with him? no

again i will say, we are all extremely stubborn, thus wont budge on our opinions, so what good will come out of arguing...? its obvious im not changing your mind anytime soon, and youre not changing mine...so whats the point...

D

Deleted member

I got wes's samus down to last stock with roy last time we played, but wes's s samus isn't like any other.

Roy is absolutely terrible vs samus, don't even try it.

I don't mind people bashing me as long as they don't bash husband for the time being. Husband doesn't care about what any of you think, but I like to verbally bludgeon you all on the forums. I'll get back to this topic later.

props @ 5150

UmbreonMow said:
I got wes's samus down to last stock with roy last time we played, but wes's s samus isn't like any other.

Roy is absolutely terrible vs samus, don't even try it.

I don't mind people bashing me as long as they don't bash husband for the time being. Husband doesn't care about what any of you think, but I like to verbally bludgeon you all on the forums. I'll get back to this topic later.

props @ 5150
thx. that's a nice job on the wes.

EDIT: We're assuming the Samus is good
well I played crashman and mendoza. I beat mendoza a couple of times, though he usually wins against the roy lol. crash pretty much never loses to my roy. but then again, both of them are just plain better smashers than me. But I honestly think roy does worse against peach or shiek than samus.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Miso said:
lol, im sorry, but skill can depend on speed.
lie
Miso said:
if you get bored with a character, then will you play them? no
why is that relevant?

Miso said:
most of the people i know think that the slower characters are boring because their eyes are more attracted to faster movement.
awesome...

Miso said:
so if you look at it that way, then youre skill with a character can be influenced by their speed. if you dont like bowswer for example, thus dont play him on a regular basis, then will you be good with him? no
how about, youre skill with a character can be influenced by your interest in that character.
not everyone likes fox or bowser.

Miso said:
again i will say, we are all extremely stubborn, thus wont budge on our opinions, so what good will come out of arguing...? its obvious im not changing your mind anytime soon, and youre not changing mine...so whats the point...
Roy sucking isn't my opinion, rather a simple fact.

Lord Knight

Smash Lord
5150, I think Samus is his biggest counter because of CC dsmash. A good Samus will do that and ****. The only Samus' I've beaten with my Roy were noobs, and I had to use Sheik on Fleur de Lis (good VA Samus, I still lost :( ), and Marth on a couple of others to win.

EDIT: F&F, where'd you come from? :laugh:

Lord Knight said:
5150, I think Samus is his biggest counter because of CC dsmash. A good Samus will do that and ****. The only Samus' I've beaten with my Roy were noobs, and I had to use Sheik on Fleur de Lis (good VA Samus, I still lost :( ), and Marth on a couple of others to win.

EDIT: F&F, where'd you come from? :laugh:
Ya I dont think mendoza nor crashman did any CC dsmash, or at least didn't do it enough. But the reason I think it isn't as bad is becuase as long as samus is in the air, you are fine. uair uair uair just keeps him up there and edgeguarding her consists of fsmash mindgames. I dunno I need to play way more shieks peaches and samus' as it is. They are just so fricken hard with roy that i end up just switching falco and going easy mode.

Lord Knight

Smash Lord
Well, M2K used Samus vs my Roy when we were playing on Sunday, and he would just crouch for a couple of seconds, and occasionally walk forward a bit and crouch again. I just used my Peach strategy of spamming tipped Flare blade (which made Samus move a bit) but during my lag, he'd just get up, walk forward a bit, and dsmash me anyway. . .

Roy's Worst Matchups are easily:
1: Samus
2: Peach
3: Sheik

From then on, it's debatable. I mean, Marth does good, but not the degree of **** that those three can do to him. :(

Lord Knight said:
Well, M2K used Samus vs my Roy when we were playing on Sunday, and he would just crouch for a couple of seconds, and occasionally walk forward a bit and crouch again. I just used my Peach strategy of spamming tipped Flare blade (which made Samus move a bit) but during my lag, he'd just get up, walk forward a bit, and dsmash me anyway. . .

Roy's Worst Matchups are easily:
1: Samus
2: Peach
3: Sheik

From then on, it's debatable. I mean, Marth does good, but not the degree of **** that those three can do to him. :(
This is true. Right after marth comes falcon and falco. But for the FAQ's sake I'll just keep the status under "****".

Lord Knight

Smash Lord
I don't know about Falcon. Falco definately does better against Roy than Marth (lasers and shine combo), but I find Roy vs Falcon to be like Marth vs Falcon, they **** each other equally hard, just that Falcon ***** a bit harder vs Roy than Marth.

Maybe I'll put a topic on it. *shrugz*

I dunno. you're prob right. I just got done with a two day smash fest at tapion's house. 2 day's of nothing but roy vs falcon , falco vs falcon, and roy/falco vs whatever he wanted to play as. So you have to forgive me if playing a falcon that good biased me towards thinking he was a counter. lol

D

Deleted member

roy's worst 3 matches are, in order, falco, falcon, and samus. Peach is really bad, and so is a fox that bans FD.

RastaImposta

Smash Lord
Lord Knight said:

Samus and her cc own Roy, only a few moves can move her when she cc's. Whenever I end up playing a samus against my roy, I end up grabbing most of the match, running away, and trying to edge gaurd her.
To be honest, I never play Roy against any character like I used too. It helped, but in the end, the matches would always come down the last stock. ICs, Fox, Roy, Jiggs, and then GaW, those characters are the ones Ive picked up with ICs being my main now. Against samus, the best option is to change to a faster character, but if you have something to prove, take your time, grab at every opportunity, never try and fight her in the air.
As for Roy and Neo, Neo is ****ing awesome, hes is insane, that video of him beating husband was crazy. If any one has that video or can tell me where to d/l it, thatd be awesome. Roy isnt the best character, certainly isnt the worst, just use what you know and do what your opponent wouldnt expect. Neo walking away, husband running at him, then Neo using a fsmash on his ***, I sure as hell didnt see that coming.
As for Marth countering Roy, marth does well, but I dont think it would be considered a counter, as long as you can stay on the same ground or under him, it makes the match easier. Peach, well she does counter Roy, that is a hard match up to win.
5150, any vids of you fighting as Roy? Ive got vidoes of Lord Knight, Im just trying to get some videos of good smasher that main roy (I use "main" as a very loose term when describing you).

I'm pretty sure lord knight doesn't "main" him as well. And no i don't have any vids besides my gigabowser vid. If you wanna see me play go to fc6.

Lord Knight

Smash Lord
Actually I do main him, but there are a couple of matches that I won't bother (like Samus :( ), and sometimes I mix up and use Marth when my Roy gets owned or my IC's.

But those vids of me all suck. I do **** like not edgeguard and stuff. When I look back at most of my old posts, I kinda see how scrubbish I was. I'm sure 5150 has a good Roy too - I can tell because his other main is Falco. >.> <.<

CaptainAwesome said:
Did Mendoza CC dtilt? That's like all he does against my Ganon. He CCs ****ing everything.
It's odd. For some reason I dont think he did, but I expected him to. If he did do it then he didn't do it excessively, otherwise i would have remembered that. Just alot of nairs, fsmashes, and grabs is all i remember clearly.

D

Deleted member

you can always take her to stadium if you want to be cheesy. When the stage changes, roy's fsmash mid and charge b will both hit way through the edge if you stand on the stage ridge. You'll know it when you do it. Fsmash edgeguarding > samus. If she recovers above the edge, just swat her off with quick fairs. fair also goes to ftilt very well.

Otherwise just spam dash grabs, shieldgrabs, and WD grabs. Shield camping isn't bad either. It's not like she can grab you back without risking being hit by a fsmash, and if she's off the stage she's done.

Falcon is much worse. He's way faster, so you can limit his options at all. Then he can chaingrab roy to 50 into upair or nair and knee you. Great.

Falco can both spam you and combo you to death on pretty much every stage. Even on FD it isn't really a match.

UmbreonMow said:
you can always take her to stadium if you want to be cheesy. When the stage changes, roy's fsmash mid and charge b will both hit way through the edge if you stand on the stage ridge. You'll know it when you do it. Fsmash edgeguarding > samus. If she recovers above the edge, just swat her off with quick fairs. fair also goes to ftilt very well.

Otherwise just spam dash grabs, shieldgrabs, and WD grabs. Shield camping isn't bad either. It's not like she can grab you back without risking being hit by a fsmash, and if she's off the stage she's done.
Have you ever played a good samus, lol?

Falcon is much worse. He's way faster, so you can limit his options at all. Then he can chaingrab roy to 50 into upair or nair and knee you. Great.
to quote tapion "CF can chaingrab anyone if they have **** DI". also, roy has "combos" on falcon.

Falco can both spam you and combo you to death on pretty much every stage. Even on FD it isn't really a match.
Once again, if you have **** DI.

Top Bottom