• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Real Emo Music

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Ok honestly with all these no genre's of pop-punk and pop-hardcore coming out with the likes of P!ATD and FOB i want to see peoples responses to what they consider real emo bands. I listen to nothing but music all day and i'm sick of hearing people brag about the new emo sensation MCR, like what the **** seriously?

Ok look Emo was started way back in the 80's as the band Rites of Spring began in their hardcore roots straight from Fugazi and other influential underground hardcore "grunge" bands.

After Rites of Spring i mean the basically dropped one or two people, picked up one more and named themselves One Last Wish..

So what do you consider "Real" Emo Bands... if i hear one of you mention FOB, MCR, or P!ATD i will cry...

Just a small quick list of current favorite emo bands
i would set myself on fire for you
i, robot
saetia
hot cross
city of caterpillar
embrace
moss icon
amanda woodward
mohinder
Circle Takes the Square

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
I consider a band emo by the words in their songs, not really by the way they sound.

It's emo if the words have:
a lot to do with regret (especially over the opposite gender).
centers around the opposite gender in a longing, wishful kind of way.
talks about something sad in their life.
admits to the singer's own weaknesses in a vulnerable way.
"wwoooooahaoooaaahahhahahah!"

I can never enjoy emo songs. They all sound so... eww. I've only heard about five emo songs which have actually sounded good, but the lyrics just kill it for me.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Try listening to Circle Takes the Square haha, their lyrics are pretty intense but in no way does it center around the opposite gender...

Real Emo Music is usually accompanied by screaming the lyrics.. not the lyrics themselves, because they do what bands back then didn't do.. Put emotion into everything they sang..

Sure now the sub-genre's have been warped a little bit and their is some debatable bands, which i hope people mention but yea i could see where your bias would come from.. **** YOU MAINSTREAM MEDIA :chuckle:

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
Commonyoshi, that's exactly the type of response the Topic Creator didn't want to see. Way to go.

I think I listened to a half of a Rites of Spring song, once...
Does Minus the Bear count? They're brilliant. I am definitly buying their new album (when it comes out).

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I don't know their a toss-up.. like i want to say no since their mainly considered indie rock but then again a ton of indie rock is considered like screamo haha Minus the Bear totally gets my vote for best song titles though:"Hey, Wanna Throw Up? Get Me Naked", "Get Me Naked 2: Electric Boogaloo", "Monkey!!! Knife!!! Fight!!!" and "Lemurs, Man, Lemurs". Sheer brilliance

Haha well i could see that, even though Rites of Spring started emo.. they weren't very good >.>

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Commonyoshi, that's exactly the type of response the Topic Creator didn't want to see. Way to go.
Huh?
So what do you consider "Real" Emo Bands...
I consider a band emo by the words in their songs, not really by the way they sound.

It's emo if the words have:
blah, blah, blah (long list)
I dont see what I did wrong, but if I really did upset the topic creator then I will listen to three songs sung by his favorite emo bands.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Haha you did not upset me in the slightest, I understand where you were coming from considering the mainstream definition of emo is exactly what you described :)

However if you feel like listening to good music, i'm currently addicted to Vanna haha

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
Huh?

I dont see what I did wrong, but if I really did upset the topic creator then I will listen to three songs sung by his favorite emo bands.
Well, you see, the actual genre emo has nothing to do with emotional lyrics. The name comes from the 'emotional' stage preformances of some of the bands in the genre - i.e; smashing guitars, screaming, really getting into the preformance in general. The lyrical part of it is the 'fad' definition that is brought on by the mainstream media and people generally misunderstanding what it means. The reason 'new' emo, the mainstream definition, isn't actually a genre is because no two people can agree what bands fit into it.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Well, you see, the actual genre emo has nothing to do with emotional lyrics. The name comes from the 'emotional' stage preformances of some of the bands in the genre - i.e; smashing guitars, screaming, really getting into the preformance in general. The lyrical part of it is the 'fad' definition that is brought on by the mainstream media and people generally misunderstanding what it means. The reason 'new' emo, the mainstream definition, isn't actually a genre is because no two people can agree what bands fit into it.
Yeah, I know that already. I can use Wikipedia. Again, this was his question:
So what do you consider "Real" Emo Bands...
I simply added my imput on what I considered emo.
The reason 'new' emo, the mainstream definition, isn't actually a genre is because no two people can agree what bands fit into it.
Truth. The above was MY take on it.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Emo as a fad needs to ****ing die. I remember when Emo was called Punk. Want to make an emo song? Take any punk song, rip out any sense of taste and purpose that it had (not much with punk music ANYWAY and that's on purpose), add some ****ty lyrics about how your life sucks and ****, and bam, Emo. Want a screamo song? Take grunge, which was 10,000 times better than Punk in my opinion, take out the purpose of it, and add ****ty lyrics about how your life sucks and ****, and the occasional "YEAAAAAAAAAAA," from some little ***** who couldn't scream his way out of something fitting with such an activity.

I listen to death metal, metal, hard rock, prog rock, jazz, classical, and classic rock. Emo bands cannot even touch any of the bands I know on the best days.

Pyrostormer

Smash Lord
I listen to death metal, metal, hard rock, prog rock, jazz, classical, and classic rock. Emo bands cannot even touch any of the bands I know on the best days.
No Instrumental? HOW COULD YOU!? But seriously I agree. I listen to the same, with some Screamo, Techno, and Alot of Instrumental (Dream Theater, ect.)

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I don't know crimson king, you seemed to again take the mainstream definition because the Emo bands i listed do not have ****ty lyrics.. if your referring to like panic at the suckfest, and my chemical piece of ****.. i completely agree

meh on death metal :(

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
CK said:
I remember when Emo was called Punk.
Almost completely disagreeing on what people said earlierrr...

They're still the same thing. Emo isn't a genre, it's a style. Any song can be emo, though usually it's punk. Just as long as it's lyrics are depressing enough to kill a baby. Not the good kind of depressing, the bad kind. Like 'Ohio Is For Lovers'.

Times have changed, kids. Emo isn't good anymore.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Xsyven said:
Times have changed, kids. Emo isn't good anymore.
Unfortunately quoted for truth...

Emo is a genre however and that genre is set in stone..

the mainstrem version is crap

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Dream Theater IS NOT metal. They are progressive rock. Never confuse the two - ever!

NG7

Smash Lord
Sorry people lol

I had progressive metal in my head which may or may not have made it easier on the genre people. Dream Theater is progressive rock.

Danstr

Smash Rookie
The problem with todays music is that everyone is so quick to put it in a "Genre". If you sit there and split hairs b/c of a way a band sounds or looks, you take away from the music. And also, Emo isnt really a Genre, its more of a way to perform a Genre. Like Scremo for metal core music, and that gay *** indy-acustic s&*! like Dashboard or the spills canavas. Then you have your Pop-Emo, like FOB or MCR, which killed pop-punk bands like Greenday or Blink 182. We all know that those 2 bands newest CDs where nothing like there old music. B/C they fell victim to the fad. Emo's a fad, and hopfully like Disco, will finnally die someday. Till then, were stuck with bad new music.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
...and that gay *** indy-acustic s&*! like Dashboard...
Dashboard isn't indie.

Indie isn't a genre either. Though, like Emo, it seems like there's a whole genre. Death Cab For Cutie is an example as to what indie 'should' sound like, but really, it's any music with a small recording label.

Death Cab owns everyone's faces too.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Emo is an excuse to be homo. If scientists could pinpoint the emo gene at birth, there would be many less **** running around in their sister's makeup and clothes threatening to slit their wrists because they are nothing but latchkey/credit card kids. Oh well, if some actually go through with the suicide, that means one less homo spreading aids and anal warts.
So, what's your excuse? (Ba-dum psh!)

But seriously, YOU'RE ********!

Do you know why they call homosexual people 'gay'?

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
What really pisses me off is when, say, I go to Brand New's page on last.fm, and it's overrun with people saying 'lol so emo'. Discounting a band because of the genre it belongs to is stupid to begin with, it's even harder to take when the band doesn't even belong to that genre.
I just went there to say how amazing their live show was, but that discouraged me so much I didn't even bother.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Their not even emo btw, and i hate fans at the Brand New shows, they never know anything besides like Seventy Times Seven

Frank Fly don't ever speak again seriously

And i love how we got into a dispute about what dream theater is

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
Me and my friends make jokes about people who like Emo music all the time. One of my friends dressed up as an "Emo kid" for Halloween, with black, greesed hair in front of his eyes, black spectacles with tape on the front, and a Taking Back Sunday shirt.

I never knew there was anything different from that until I read this thread. I'll check out some of the bands, because even with MCR, I can sense a small touch of good music just waiting to come out. Maybe the bands you mentioned will provide this for me.

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
Their not even emo btw, and i hate fans at the Brand New shows, they never know anything besides like Seventy Times Seven
Naw, the crowd here was good. They sang along to about half the set, actually.
Seventy Times Seven is the only good song on their first album, though. They didn't play it. At one point, they completely screwed with the crowd by announcing that song, and then playing a completely different one XD Luca, I think.
Anyways, Brand New keeps on getting better with each release. Their latest is quite good. And, yeah, I agree that they are not emo. That's what I was saying.

Glad to see you're being open minded, demon. The Black Parade isn't a terrible album, but it's not great either. And it's definitly not emo. Infact, it seems like it takes most of its influence from Classic Rock.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I lost my shoe when I saw My Chemical Romance at Warped Tour. :(

Luckily, some random girl gathered all of them at the end, and made a huge pile afterwards. Mine was in there. I was about five seconds from stealing some random left shoe, too.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
I listened to Rites of Spring. Not bad, but not my favorite. In the end, it's just angry punk. That's not necessarily a bad thing (I enjoy punk music. The Clash is one of my favorite bands of all time), but it's still not anything special.

I respect emo music a lot more though, so at least I got something out of it:)

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Demon, i have to say i admire the fact that you check it out but i must say Rites of Spring is probably the worst band on that last haha :) check out some of the others if you get the time...

MCR.. Welcome to the Black Parade... good song :)

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
Demon, i have to say i admire the fact that you check it out but i must say Rites of Spring is probably the worst band on that last haha :) check out some of the others if you get the time...

MCR.. Welcome to the Black Parade... good song :)
That one is just bursting at the seams with 'QUEEN!'

NP: TV on the Radio - Hours (off topic, but, hey...)

Sandy

Smash Champion
MCR isn't really emo, i don't think there's anything such as
emo music because some emos in my school listen to rap and some listen
to other stuff. And I don't think bands want to be emo because it's bad for publicity.

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
MCR isn't really emo, i don't think there's anything such as
emo music because some emos in my school listen to rap and some listen
to other stuff. And I don't think bands want to be emo because it's bad for publicity.
I think by 'emos' you mean 'kids with a generic sense of style'. Srsly.
Have you even been reading this topic?

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Haha Venom Dream your quote on MCR screaming Queen is deff true, but i still find that song hella catchy.

Nah I don't think he has at all and its kind of annoying haha.. YOU CAN'T BE EMO!

You can be scene
You can be a conformist wanna be "emo" kid that all they do is conform to the social mainstreams norms of emo
You can be an idiot

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Ok look Emo was started way back in the 80's as the band Rites of Spring began in their hardcore roots straight from Fugazi and other influential underground hardcore "grunge" bands.
Is Fugazi really classafied as Emo? Huh, I guess my opinion has just changed for the better.

I remember this one episode of South Park where Stan goes to hang with the goth kids and they say being goth is about expression and anti-conformity, and when Stan asks what he has to do, one says "You just have to wear the same clothes as us and listen to the same music we do". That is what Emo kids are doing that makes people hate them so much. Oh, and My Chemical Romance isn't emo. They aren't rock either. Hell, I wouldn't even classify them as a real band.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
We've stated on numerous occasions that MCR isn't emo...

And way to know who Fugazi is i'm proud.. and no i didn't say they were emo.. They begin in hardcore roots derived from Hardcore/Grunge bands like Fugazi

Top Bottom