• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Read it, Discuss it.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I'll be try to be brief.

The reason I think we're better is because when I watch Japanese play, I see elements of gameplay that we're already aware of. My eyes are some of the best for viewing smash at ALL levels of play (not just a high or top level) and I understand almost always why players make the decisions that they do. I think the top players in America are just better than the Japanese ones.

However, I also think the average player in America is absolutely terrible compared to what I think the average player should look like. I am really interested in getting more connected with the Japanese.

Oh, also, in regards to the beginning of the thread. I train with R00kie, the Fox main, as he's in my crew. He utilizes many of the tactics you spoke of (though I always do tell him to use more Nair) and I think you underestimate some of our better Foxes. Remember that there are still good players that don't get as much hype, just because they don't WIN tourneys with their characters. How many people have heard of Pink Fresh before he beat Ally and Boss in low tiers at Battle Royale II? Not me? Was he still a ground-breaking Lucas player before that fated time? Of course. How many people STILL don't know about Pink Fresh?

I do not mean to brag about my personal skill, but I have a very, very trained eye in this game to the point where I could make it a profession if there was a market for it. I can simply tell that our top players are better than theirs.

However, I'm interested on how good their AVERAGE player is. To 95%+ of the community, this is what should concern you. Most of you aren't going to beat 9B just because you're American, because the fact is, even though we say Brawl is simple, and on paper we have astounding mastery of MK and Brawl, the average player is just extremely lacking in terms of pattern recognition, reading, technical skill, spacing and zoning concepts and ability, game physics knowledge, and almost every core skill needed to play. In fact, the only skill that seems to be common is basic follow up recognition, and that's why everyone STILL airdodges nearly two years in.

Before anyone tries to say that I'm being too harsh, I'll give some evidence to back this up.
Deliberate Powershielding non-projectile attacks is extremely uncommon for most people.
Traps evolve very slowly
I don't play ICs, and I bet most of you don't either. I bet you I can still get the first hit on most of you. The average person's spacing and zoning is terrible. I can cripple most players with my Mario still.
Most people still fail to successfully execute juggles. Most people can't even juggle my Ganondorf.
Most people, including myself, still average a minimum of two technical errors a STOCK. I know, because I can READ when people make a technical error.
Most people fail to set up optimal walls with the character they MAIN. Most people don't even realize that walls need mix-ups. Most people still don't seem to understand how to create a wall that also protects against dash into shield/powershield.
Most people still don't understand how to use full jump or crouch.
Most people know about pivot grabbing, but don't properly use it unless they have a tether character.
Most people, INCLUDING MANY PROS STILL RECOVER INCORRECTLY.

Honestly, I don't even think I'm that good at the game. I just have a solid mastery of the basics, and outstanding amounts of memorized knowledge, and an impressive understanding of mechanics. In short, I'm good because I study and understand. Many of you who understand are too scared to even attempt to imply what you understand. I watch so many players pass up edge-guard opportunities because they are too scared to leave the stage, unable to realize how to safely edgeguard. Vertical spacing is a foreign concept to almost everyone (and no, it does not simply mean learning how to beat Dairs with Uairs.)

Honestly, the average player is just so disappointing. I expect every single person here to be able to do ALL of the things I just listed, but I have to applaud if you have mastery in just two of them, and those are just the basics. I don't expect people to understand how to set up perfect edge traps. I don't expect people to understand how to set up level 3, and level 4 traps. I don't expect people to have the reflexes of a spartan. I don't even expect the average player to have a good set or understanding of mindgames. But after playing the game for a YEAR, I do expect people to incorporate certain stuff into their game, and I'm just so generally disappointed when looking at the progress of people. The number of subpar options chosen, versus optimal ones that can be learned just from watching the right videos is pathetic, especially when watching so many top level pattern replication poorly used, because of the lack of understanding.

I'm an extremely interested to know how good the average player in Japan is. Everyone says America is so good. Good compared to other people? I guess. I think there are very few people who are good at this game. I expect the average player to be good. Not great. Not extraordinary, but at least good. Unfortunately, it's not the case. There's always your new guy, or that guy who just doesn't get it. You all know them. The R1 easy win that might as well be a bye for whatever top player he gets paired up against. Still, by R2 in winners bracket, things should get interested. Half the players just got knocked into losers. It's time to cut the crap. Still, R2 is pretty easy for some reason, and smash tourneys don't even get interesting until R3.

My MK is okay. It can beat most people, and I'm decent at the ditto. Still, I shouldn't be able to utterly wreck 90% of the country with it, but I can. Failure to respond to the BASIC patterns and options of the MOST POPULAR CHARACTER, over an entire YEAR since the game came out is pretty bad. I'm not talking about when I properly set up traps, using dtilt, or other such tools. But, simple stuff like getting hit by frame 3 Ftilt still on 3, 2, 1, Go! instead of shielding the obvious swings is ridiculous.

Am I wrong for having such 'high' expectations of people, in what everyone seems to consider an "easy and simple" game?

EDIT: Failed at being brief. TL;DR: You're bad and you should feel bad, so stop pointing fingers at the Japanese, and saying that players much better than you could beat other players much better than you.

I feel I needed to qoute this and bring a couple a questions that will maybe spark some movement into Fox.

What are Fox's most optimal walls to use?
What traps can Fox create and matain ?
What can Fox due to stop/escape others traps?
What does Fox have stop walls?
How would Fox keep strings going?
In certain situtations what does what Fox do? Example Fox put opponent on lay down because they missed the tech what can Fox do to maintain his advantage or what moves would fox use to able to punish opponet if he can read him?
What good is Fox is in vertical spacing?

If you TL;DR I pity you ...this help Fox as a character or help this Fox community grow as a whole and be on the same level of understanding.

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
The guy is obviously just has a high opinion of himself. But I guess he can't compete with the pros so he's trying to get some more decent competition amongst the joes. The weird part of it is that if they were all as good as he wants them to be, they'd be pros. Somebody who is able to do all that in reaction time is already a great player in my book. If it was Melee, to have that you needed faster fingers... in Brawl you just need to pay attention as mistakes are harder to correct. Does he know pretty much all the Melee players left after Brawl came out? They had like 7 years of experience under their belts and all these new people just have one or two. But anyways

What are Fox's most optimal walls to use?
- Lasers.
What traps can Fox create and matain ?
- Having people pull off the wrong defense and Fox knowing which defense they're going to use. EG dropping shields while using D-air, having them AD so you can predict when to time U-air... etc
What can Fox due to stop/escape others traps?
- Not get in them. Sometimes spam Shine if they suck. Illusion, shine, and FH are good prevention tools.
What does Fox have stop walls?
- To stop walls? Laser.
How would Fox keep strings going?
- Stopping at certain points and then starting again. Stopping completely, running away and then lasering. Use a grab, and then laser.
In certain situtations what does what Fox do? Example Fox put opponent on lay down because they missed the tech what can Fox do to maintain his advantage or what moves would fox use to able to punish opponet if he can read him?
- Same thing Snake does. Except you can use a smash.
What good is Fox is in vertical spacing?
- Above is tricky and dependent. Below is easy as U-tilt beats all. Always make sure you have time for a U-tilt. What you can remember here is that you have good vertical speed both directions.

m eye doin' it rite!?

EDIT
Also, Iblis I have a few Japanese questions I wanna ask when you get a freebie on AIM.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Traps and walls with fox? You have to understand that Pierce was talking mainly based off of the perspective of a Marth player. Marth pretty much bases his whole game off of spacing and traps.......I don't think Fox really plays like that. He's more of the bait-and-punish type.

I think Fox has a few like jab>dsmash, bair>utilt, AC fair>whatever.......but he still doesn't have a lot of range so these aren't super effective.

Kheldar hit it on the head when he said melee pro's already have this stuff down so that's why most of the melee pro's are now Brawl pro's.

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
i hate when ppl get all analytical about brawl,maybe its cause im stoopid idk

and yeah,melee players are pros at punshing spotdodges/airdodges and absolutely mastered tech chasing, a facet of smash that most brawl players are still learning to implement in their game(including myself)

he's really underrating players to the point of being borderline pompous ah w.e

M@v

Subarashii!
Pierce7d knows his ****. I met him at Br2. Very nice guy. Unfortunately I only played him when we were warming up for low tiers, so neither of use use our actual characters.

Asce

Smash Apprentice
He knows what hes talking about but I also agree that you have to understand that hes looking at it from the perspective of a Marth player. However as Fox players, and as players in general, we should all have the basics absolutely mastered. That probably goes without saying though...any player will thrive on the basics.

Top Bottom