• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reactions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
i knew it was little mac when i saw the first shoe, and then in confirmed it when i saw the arcade, and then solidified it when i saw the pink hoodie.
like with mega man, i am not terribly excited that he is in the game, but i am ecstatic for all those who wanted him in and got thier wish.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Ok, first of all, the Nintendo Direct loaded for me, from the moment at the very end of the trailer when Little Mac had just KO punched two characters off the screen.

I almost dropped my laptop in excitement. Then the trailer ended and I was like "Holy hell!?" Never been used to a SSB trailer being shown so early.

So I watched it again once it was uploaded:

-The motion comic scene: Pretty cool.
-The intense exercise training: Omg.. I don't remember my training THIS intense in Punch Out.
-The rope jump trick. Wow! Clearly on another league for SSB.
-Samus teasing size comparison: LOL'D
-Mac entering the Boxing Ring (+ beating the snot out of Dedede): YEEEEAH!!!!
-All the different matchups: ...wow!!
-Little Mac dodging pretty much every single projectile: Dude, CALM DOWN!!
-Giga Mac: O_O
-Special Meter punch KO's two characters: ...Damn!
-Little Mac eating chocolate with Doc Louis: Daaaawwww
-Samus rolling across the screen: LOL
-No star punch anything related: O.o wut?

I was extremely pleased. Little Mac looks so OP... but I don't care. I'll use him with no restraints either way! I've waited too long for this character, and I won't hold back just because he'll be high tier!
Gotta love how everything Super Smash Bros related about the boxing ring turned to PUNCH OUT! :troll:

Komenja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Komenja
Twenty minutes ago my friend texted me "Little Mac confirmed!"

I knew he wouldn't joke about this. I threw the phone out of excitement and rushed to see if it was true. I'm really happy, Mac is one of my most wanted new comers!

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I'm just glad it was clear that it was Little Mac
Also I came a bit late so when the animated sequence was playing I couldn't tell if it was a new Punch Out or Smash

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Pure joy. I was at work and the live stream was spotty at best, but of the few images i could see i knew, and after that i couldnt even focus after. I couldnt be happier with mac, my most wanted newcomer is now here to stay and its just superb to have him.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Didn't want him in, boring character that only punches.

So let's just make him seem really overpowered, yeah.

nty

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
When it started I was like BOXING WAIT WAIT
And then that great music and I was like LEETLEE MACCCCC ITS LITTLE MAC

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Let me add, yes its a good rep of an iconic series and the intro was cool

Still a wasted slot in my eyes /shrug

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
Little Mac was shoe in at least in my eyes. I wasn't too exited at the end but I'm really happy for all the little mac fans so kudos to you guys :grin:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Still a wasted slot in my eyes /shrug
You have any better characters for that slot buddy?
Mac is so deserving! Punch Out is possibly one of the biggest and most important Nintendo franchises not yet represented, Mike Tyson's Punch Out is a classic, and Punch Out Wii made Mac a relevant Nintendo character again. I would go as far as saying that Mac is possibly THE most deserving character for Smash 4.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
And that would be your opinion, which I believe to be false, buddy.

******* confirmed, ****** Ridley will be next now.

Last edited:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I clearly said he was "deserving", doesn't mean I have to find his 20 different punches interesting.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
So this was the first Nintendo Direct I was going to see live, so I was excited all day. I went onto the Direct a few minutes early and thought, "I wonder what game they're going to show first." So the Direct started and I waited for the trailer. I saw the Smash logo, and thought, "Wow! Smash Bros is first!" I then saw Little Mac. I freaked out.

The end. :p

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I kinda figured he'd be in it, so while I'm glad he's in, I'm a little disappointed that it was just him revealed today. It wasn't super shocking to me, not like Mega Man was

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
Obviously, something was up when Sakurai kept reminding everyone about the Direct. I was so happy they started it after school...

Anyway, I sat at my laptop for a full hour watching Good Mythical Morning to pass the time, my heart pounding all the while. I had a feeling in the pit of my stomach that something pretty awesome was going to take place. However, like probably anyone else who dabbles in the speculation scene, I thought it was going to relate to DKC.

In hindsight, it may have been a mistake for Nintendo to announce Little Mac at the very beginning of the trailer. I stopped watching after Yoshi's New Island because I knew nothing would get me as pumped as I was to see Mac. Not only was it Little Mac, but they did everything about that trailer so right. I was shaking and screaming, which is leaps and bounds above what I did for the E3 SSB trailer, if that tells you how excited I am for Little Mac.

I mean, literally, he's the first character I've really wanted. I predicted Mega Man, and thought it was cool that he was in it, but I didn't actively want him in the game. Little Mac is a completely different story.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I kinda figured he'd be in it, so while I'm glad he's in, I'm a little disappointed that it was just him revealed today. It wasn't super shocking to me, not like Mega Man was
Quite frankly for Mega Man, like Mac, I was not surprised but I was still ecstatic to see the character in action.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
At first, it was basically, "Damn, let's get the stupid Kong duo trailer over with." Then, I try to pinpoint where the music and artstyle came from, and the moment I got it down was the moment it became obvious that Little Mac was the shadow, shadow-boxing, funnily enough. I cried out in joy a few times, then settled in to watch his gameplay, and was quite impressed. He lived up to all of my expectations for him, and I'm so happy to see him in at last. I just really hope this isn't the last time I'm this enthralled with a newcomer.

Last edited:

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
Wow; so ecstatic!! :colorful: I knew that Little Mac had a chance to become part of the SSB4 roster (and he's been on my wishlist), but I didn't think he would make it in as playable! I would've been fine with him as an Assist Trophy, but his role as a playable fighter is even better! I anticipated that the Punch-Out!! series would at least get a stage in SSB4 due to the 'boxing ring'-themed stage, though..

I initially saw the news on Bulbapedia (via the Twitter applet displaying BulbanewsNOW's tweets), and I was like "OMG!!"; I actually gasped! XD Out of all my reactions for SSB4 characters so far, this one was second-highest in the amount of "excitement" I displayed (highest amount of excitement was displayed during Megaman's June 2013 reveal, of course). Immediately after seeing the tweet, I rushed to SmashWiki and subsequently saw the same news of Little Mac being featured. Then I went to Little Mac's nascent article and watched his "reveal trailer", which exceeded my expectations. I just loved the art style that the trailer used in conjunction with Doc Louis's voiceover! Also, I haven't played Punch-Out!!, so the main experience I have with Little Mac is via Super Smash Bros. Brawl and any online references I happen to come across. At first, I thought the trailer was remixing the SSB4 Main Theme, and then I was like "No, wait! This sounds like something else!". Then a lightbulb clicked as I remembered one of the samples used in Brawl's "Famicom Medley" track (0:28 - 0:44 in this video; for some reason, it made me think of the idea of 'Power Rangers in a fighting videogame' when I first heard it play in Brawl), which indeed samples the "Training" cutscene theme from Punch-Out!!, as I've read.

The Power Meter definitely startled me... I was instantly reminded about a discussion about Super Smash Flash 2, where someone (I think the developer or someone else on McLeodGaming Forums), in which someone said that 'power meters' weren't really true to the spirit of Super Smash Bros. (as in, none of the typical charging attacks, like Samus's Charge Shot or Lucario's Aura Sphere, feature "meters" to let you know how much you've charged the attack so far, instead relying on visual indicators like 'sphere size'); I think the 'charge meters' for a lot of Special Attacks were removed later on in SSF2... But anyway; it's interesting to finally see a Charge Meter atop of the damage percentage indicator, and it could pave the way for other characters/attacks to use similar meters (although I think it definitely fits Little Mac).

I was a bit turned off by the Final Smash being named "Giga Mac"... I mean, we already have Giga Bowser; there are other prefixes, you know... >_> Couldn't "Mighty Mac" or "Mega Mac" have worked..? (I would've loved the punny usage of Big Mac - being opposite of Little Mac's standard name and probably contrasting the kind of diet Little Mac has, while still fitting the 'size change' concept - although methinks that McDonalds might've taken issue with that and sued...or something. :()

ROFL at Sandbag being used as a punching bag, as well as Samus cameoing for a few minutes... The trailer reminded me of Street Fighter 4 so much (mainly due to the art style). I loved the moment where Little Mac used a series of blinding rapid-fire skyward punches on Link (LOL..skyward punches trump skyward swords... poor Link >.<); it made me more eager to try out Little Mac's moveset... You would think that a character who is essentially "all punches" would be boring to play as, but that trailer did a fantastic job at showcasing Little Mac.. Also, I've always envisioned a 'boxing ring' stage for King Dedede (I've read that he has a 'boxing ring' on Mt. Dedede as a boss character; it gave me some ideas on a stage that I could build that utilizes "King Dedede's Theme" in Brawl), but I guess a Punch-Out!! boxing ring makes more sense than a Kirby one (maybe the stage will still have some sort of reference to Mt. Dedede?); still, I liked how King Dedede was the first foe that Little Mac faced in the ring as a newly-induced Smash Brother. XD

And I'm also laughing about how Little Mac's reveal was a nice "twist" (maybe some people would say that Sakurai was 'trolling' yet again, but I think Little Mac's trailer was awesome enough for Diddy Kong fans to forget about it), given that most people apparently were expecting Diddy Kong and/or Dixie Kong to be revealed soon (due to this Nintendo Direct being temporally near in proximity to the release of Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze). :laugh: And here people were thinking Little Mac was disconfirmed due to Villager sporting 'boxing gloves'. :glare: Hey, things are probably looking up for Balloon Fighter, too!

But yeah, so stoked that Little Mac made it in; I'm even itching to play Wii Sports' Boxing mode right now! Ugh, this was probably the one Nintendo Direct I could've watched live (although I was just made aware of it on February 12th, 2014..), and I missed it. :cry: Maybe next time..

Despite not being a Little Mac fan, I'm really glad he finally made it, plus his gameplay looks AWESOME. I really hope Doc Louis will show up though ._. He just HAVE to be in the background like the Pokémon Trainer.
I hope Doc Louis shows up in some capacity during gameplay... Maybe on the boxing ring stage when Little Mac is fighting on it?

I started shaking when I heard Doc's voice, when I saw "Little Mac Punches In" I screamed "YES!"
I tried to hold my excitement but I kept shaking and shaking and shaking. I laughed at Samus and Mac, and at the end of the trailer with the chocolate. Mac looks incredible, and I'm happy that Mac Baby has finally made it into Smash.
He so rightfully deserves it.
This; with a long-standing fighting series and a great concept in general, Little Mac is just so rightfully fitting as a playable combatant in Smash. Finally, a non-Smash Nintendo fighting game series's (as in, real-time fighting, not turn-based) character makes it into the fighting series of Super Smash Bros.! :pow:

Last edited:

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
I'm loving the playstyle Sakurai's putting out for Little Mac. It genuinely looks like a boxing-style approach with the Rocky-like super armor and the focus on counters and varied approaches.

And I am happy Sakurai didn't just cop out on us and give us Yoshi or something. Vets should be announced in very quick succession, it's not hype at all to say "oh yeah, Yoshi's back, like you didn't expect it."

Colenstien

Smash Ace
Well my first reaction was urine. Then I decided to come check out this site again after a couple years away.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I am not entirely sure, I could have sworn that the trailer actually stated Punch Out before it even started; however, I just rechecked and it didn't mention it. That being said, I completely and utterly expected Mac after the first few seconds. Of course, after that, I was commending the more graphic art approach and I was hyped by Doc Louis, I was convinced he would be there supporting Mac with his enthusiasm. Little Mac was training, I laughed at his jump rope scene and my sister laughed at the punching bag being from Smash. After that, we both cackled at the Samus and Little Mac height comparison. The rest of the trailer... I was in my after-glow, I didn't even really pay attention. I wanted to come on Smashboards and start incoherently alluding to his awesome trailer, but my sister wanted to finish the Direct. The entire Direct seemed so boring as they stared with the most hype-worthy trailer. This was MUCH more exciting than E3, it was actually MORE exciting than even Brawl's reveal trailer. In fact, this is the happiest I have been in regards to Smash reveals.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
My internet was down for the whole direct so I had my friend (who isn't much of a gamer) check the website and tell me what the picture was. (I figured there would be a character, most likely diddy) He said it was "a boxing match or something", I asked him if the boxers gloves were green and he said they were. So I put two and two together. Needless to say I was caught off guard with that revelation.

There was probably more suspence in that than if I had discovered it through the trailer.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The first second of the trailer my big bro thought it was Snake because of the nitty gritty artstyle, but as soon as I saw the movements of the shadow I went "Nah, it's Little Mac." My initial thought was that I was happy we finally got him out of hiding, and I can't wait to see this board's reaction, but surprisingly I found myself being really impressed with how Little Mac played. I always expected him to be a bit generic, not boring to say, but like a mid-speed, mid-power punching character, though that's probably because the only experience I have with Punch Out is the NES game. Seeing him speeding around like that, and also seeing the unique meter, made me really happy about his inclusion. I simply had a big grin on my face the entire time.

Last edited:

Aduross

Smash Apprentice
I was pretty surprised they started with Smash right out the gate. Pretty much from the first second of the trailer I knew it was Little Mac, no bait and switch this time. :p I mostly spent the whole trailer staring at the screen, my mouth hanging open and grinning like a moron. I was really blown away by his speed, combos, and super armor. By the end I was crazy hyped and didn't even really care about the rest of the Direct (though I did watch it). Glad I held out hope for Mac Baby! :D

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
The reveal got me so hyped, that I tried to sleep and I couldn't, so I will try to go to bed tonight.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
The reveal gave me so many chills. Little Mac training remind me SO much of Ippo <3 Also, dat music in the trailer is amazing.

zeonie888

Smash Apprentice
My reaction was happy and excited for his promotion from AT to playable character. Really nice that another retro character is added :3

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I was a bit turned off by the Final Smash being named "Giga Mac"... I mean, we already have Giga Bowser; there are other prefixes, you know... >_> Couldn't "Mighty Mac" or "Mega Mac" have worked..? (I would've loved the punny usage of Big Mac - being opposite of Little Mac's standard name and probably contrasting the kind of diet Little Mac has, while still fitting the 'size change' concept - although methinks that McDonalds might've taken issue with that and sued...or something. :()
Giga Mac is an actual thing from Punch-Out!! Wii though. Sakurai didn't just make that up.

Morbi

Scavenger
My honest reaction was "Oh cool, Little Mac, looks like I got an obvious prediction right... TAKE THAT JAMESDNAUX!"
I had a similar reaction, I was more curious about James' reaction to be honest. While I was watching the trailer, I was contemplating what that might entail. Good to know I wasn't the only one. :awesome:

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
I expected a newcomer for that Direct. Just not Little Mac. I expected him and wanted him. 2nd Most Wanted Newcomer (After K. Rool). As soon as I saw the training scene. I was hyped! Little Mac's announcement trailer was awesome. Also when the Boxing Ring stage said Punch-Out, I immediately also thought of those people that denied the Punch-Out signs, already contacted on of them on YouTube.

Overall, I'm so glad and happy that he was announced.

Xman321

Smash Apprentice
I expected a newcomer for that Direct. Just not Little Mac. I expected him and wanted him. 2nd Most Wanted Newcomer (After K. Rool). As soon as I saw the training scene. I was hyped! Little Mac's announcement trailer was awesome. Also when the Boxing Ring stage said Punch-Out, I immediately also thought of those people that denied the Punch-Out signs, already contacted on of them on YouTube.

Overall, I'm so glad and happy that he was announced.
No offence, but the only two smash characters I don't want in the game(as in, I want them to not be in) are King K Rool, and Ridley

Louie G.

Smash Hero
No offence, but the only two smash characters I don't want in the game(as in, I want them to not be in) are King K Rool, and Ridley
I don't really think that is necessary to say in this thread, nor do I see any reason why you wouldn't want those characters.
But to each their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom