• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

reaction time

CableCho57

Smash Lord
I figured out I have pretty bad reaction time.

how do you improve your reaction time? like any exercises of some sort? doesnt have to be limited to melee either, can be other practically methods

Lovage

Smash Hero
reaction time in melee is greatly aided by having experience with the game

reacting fast enough to certain choices your opponent makes is simply a matter of having been in that same situation hundreds of times before.

once you understand exactly what he is capable of and how to beat it, it becomes really easy to position yourself correctly, react to early clues (the beginning of a tech roll, or the early signs of a incoming dash attack) and execute your punish correctly

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Can you clarify what exactly your reaction time is? According to This test, my reaction time is 0.1964, and according to this, the average is 0.215, but when taking that test, I got a slower benchmark than the one I mentioned earlier.

What do you consider a slow reaction time, because I have trouble getting my shield out depending on the TV's lag.

There was a thread about this like 2-3 months ago. The most important things to improve it are sleep, eating healthy, and exercising

CableCho57

Smash Lord
There was a thread about this like 2-3 months ago. The most important things to improve it are sleep, eating healthy, and exercising
I dont think these things would directly improve my reaction time imo
I exercise very regularly (playing ball like every other day), eat very well, esp lately (im also a vegetarian) and I get about 7 hours sleep per night. no improvement.

kinklink I took the first test with the green light and my average was .3276
pretty bad lol

I guess oscar's advice makes a bit more sense, but I have a tough time differentiating when I'm predicting something or trying to cover options by reaction.

kinda like when I'm tech chasing a spacie with falcon, more ofhen then not I can't follow up their tech to re grab because my bad reaction time.

Warhawk

Smash Lord
I feel like being healthy improves general reaction time but if you want your reaction time for smash to improve playing smash will work since the more you experience something the better your brain will recognize and react to it.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
For the record, my reaction time in accordance with Frames read is ~11.75, the average is ~12.9, and yours is somewhere around 19.5 frames (Did 60 Frames per second * Reaction time in seconds, correct me if this is not the correct data to use to attain this frame data). Also take into account that using your thumb and fingers have different muscle memory, so the reaction time won't be the same. Even if it is, you can still have bad reaction time and learn to play smart and win. Jason has terrible reaction time and steals money all the time.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Can you clarify what exactly your reaction time is? According to This test, my reaction time is 0.1964, and according to this, the average is 0.215, but when taking that test, I got a slower benchmark than the one I mentioned earlier.

What do you consider a slow reaction time, because I have trouble getting my shield out depending on the TV's lag.
Holy **** I'm faster at reacting then I thought....what do I do with it? lol. I'll be honest since the old days of reading and being correct I sort of sometimes get in modes where I just try to guess things...maybe I should try just reacting instead. considering my average is 0.1718 at like 2 in the morning lol.

I have been working on reaction and tech chasing specifically and other things. I've taken the military approach though. Doing anything with such repetitious regularity is bound to help you over time. I play lvl 9 CPU's and try to powershield or dash out of the way of their attacks pretty much for a few minutes while warming up. I've been doing it for like 6 months now trying to see how far I can go without getting touched. In 99 minute matches I can go close to 6 usually before getting hit by a random hit. My goal is to get to 10..then 20...etc. Idk....maybe it's helping :p

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Your reaction times in Frames is about 10.3

Like I said, to be honest, reaction time has an extremely insignificant effect on your ability to play (We're talking a difference of like 1-2 frames for the most part) since no one is going to having something like a 5 frame reaction time to abuse it.

Top Bottom