• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

RCO Air Speed

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Hey guys! I put out a video on YouTube a couple days ago on RCO Air Speed, a glitch or mechanic I discovered. If you haven't watched the video yet, here it is:

If you prefer to read, here's the script.

While the video is pretty in depth, I've realized there's still a lot of things left to discover, talk about, and share regarding RCO Air Speed, so I decided I'd open this thread.

-----------------------

I'll start us out with a few things that I've seen or thought of after releasing the video...
  • Something I didn't include in the video is that using another up special and not having it interrupted is another way to remove RCO Air Speed. This isn't very useful for Shulk, but some characters can use their up specials safely or often do use it at the end of their combos, like Mario, so it's worth knowing.
  • I read in a comment somebody saying that doing an instant ledge-grab gets rid of it, and I tested and confirmed it for Shulk. So that's pretty cool.
  • I saw some discussion on Twitter about it potentially happening in Project M, but not in the same regard as Brawl/Smash 4.
I think this could use confirmation from other people though.
  • RCO Air Speed probably also has a significant role in gimping, and maybe air dodging could help recover from a gimp
  • Maybe RCO Air Speed is why some people (cough @notyourparadigm) die after doing a wall jump tech

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Interesting, I'm also curious how and who this affects in detail even in games like PM where it appears to be a thing if the situations are similar.

As a Zard main given his low air speed as is I usually don't notice this but I can see it being a thing that matters once and a while.

RobC

Smash Rookie
Fascinating! As a Luigi main I always wondered why I couldn't reach my max aerial momentum in certain situations no matter how much time I had to drift.

Am I right to assume that a quick aerial is better for removing RCO air speed than air dodging in most circumstances? Thank goodness for my FAir...

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Fascinating! As a Luigi main I always wondered why I couldn't reach my max aerial momentum in certain situations no matter how much time I had to drift.

Am I right to assume that a quick aerial is better for removing RCO air speed than air dodging in most circumstances? Thank goodness for my FAir...
Late reply but it should depend on your situation as for what your opponent is doing. But if you're ignoring that, Fair would be better if FAF is lower

Last edited:

RobC

Smash Rookie
Late reply but it should depend on your situation as for what your opponent is doing. But if you're ignoring that, Fair would be better if FAF is lower
Yay! According to Kuroganehammer Fair's FAF is at 24 compared to frame 33 out of an air dodge.
Thanks for the info!

Top Bottom